• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 01:25 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Watchtower

Started by tomcat, Oct 15, 2011, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

:ooc: I'm back - apologies for my absence while on vacation; no way to post at sea, unfortunately. Thanks for understanding.

So, apparently, I just fell off a mountain...  (-D
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

:ooc: no its cool. we all fell off the mountain. well unless you had a speeder bike. All told I think we should have stayed in the desert.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Posterboy

:ooc: Just want to point out that the Rodian did not fall to his death... but he shall mourn your lost. I think Brim shall become a collector of dead Jedi's lightsabers. "And this one I pick up from Dan, and this one here is from Farok, and this blue one came from...  ;)

tomcat

Quote from: Posterboy on Oct 25, 2011, 02:42 PM:ooc: Just want to point out that the Rodian did not fall to his death... but he shall mourn your lost. I think Brim shall become a collector of dead Jedi's lightsabers. "And this one I pick up from Dan, and this one here is from Farok, and this blue one came from...  ;)

:ooc: That was funny.  :)

The good thing is, you guys are not plummeting from a peak or cliff, it is just a series of steppes that range in drops of about 5-10 feet. The point is, no one has made a graceful landing except Brim. The rest of you fall in mud - and you know the kind of thick swampy mud I mean, that has the foul smell to it. The noise produced is sure to give clue to your presence to some hungry Nexu, and finally I am going to roll for a fall attack against Fortitude defenses. If successful against a PC, that PC will take 2d6 damage.

Fall vs. Fortitude for all PC's who failed to climb - just making one roll here for the 'attack' and damage.
Rolled 1d20+20 : 16 + 20, total 36

damage if successful 2d6 : 4, 4, total 8

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: Can I use the force and move object myself?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: All PC's who failed the Climb roll, which is everyone but Brim, Logar, and Kaida, took 8 damage  :csu:

The team started to make their way down the pile of broken stones and boulders that were stacked within the choke point, but the slippery moss, soft ground, and water made for a rough time. Sam moved between two large stones when his foot went out from under him, causing the droid to teeter on the edge of a two meter drop and then fall. Unfortunately, Sam bumped Caden who also slipped and the two tumbled togther. They splashed down into a large pool of soft mud. Caden pushed himself up from the ground covered from head to toe along the front side of his body. Sam fared little better - he used internal pressure systems to blast mud out of joints and servos. Caden put his hand to his head and felt the wet, warm slickness of his blood. It wasn't bad, but it was a head wound and they could bleed like a stuck massif.

Farok also tumbled a distance and fell hard on his back. The warrior wondered if this was the best decision to leave the bars of Tatooine. He grumbled to himself over the lack of an arm for surely if he had not lost it long ago, he would not be laying on his back in pain after falling. Brim walked over to his new friend and extended a hand to help him up. The quartet then scanned the jungle valley for any signs of Fett who had preceded them down. It seemed that the bounty hunter had not had any difficulty navigating the choke point.

Not far from where the choke point was, a pride of nexu lounged in the jungle heat. The beasts had seen the passing of the speederbikes, which had stirred them up, but now, an unfamiliar noise was coming from the not so far away. The alpha male of the pride craned its neck and drew in deep the scents of the surrounds. It growled softly in its throat. There was blood on the air.

The Gran snipers swept their weapons back and forth across the jungle floor. From their blind, the two mercenaries had seen the passing of the speederbikes and had radioed a call to them. But no response. The bikes had gone by about an hour prior on their patrol route. The two snipers  had not seen them come back through until now, but had heard some blaster fire in the distance and soon after, two explosions. Surely their companions on patrol had run into some problem - most likely the savage nexu that roamed the Malastare jungle.

The one Gran took his eye from his scope, "I don't see anything. Do you?"

"No," was the others reply.

"Those bikes stopped right about there, right?"

"Yea, just keep watching. I am going to radio ahead."

Suddenly the clatter of what sounded like metal falling against stone was heard behind them, towards the valley choke point. The two Gran snipers turned to the opposite side of their blind and aimed their targeting scopes in that direction to see what they might.

Kaida still lay flat on the ground looking at the watchtower. It was quite a distance away. She stared at it all the while adjusting her helmet's optics, but still could see very little... then, movement. She wasn't sure what moved on the top of the tower, but there was definitely movement.

Having reported in to Fett, Logar'Dan slid up on the embankment next to Kaida. He looked off in the direction that she stared.

:ooc: Tom, I will allow the Move Object as a save option, but, you will need to roll a UtF check that exceeds the Fall attack, so DC 36. If successful, I will negate the damage and re-tool the narrative to show Farok catching himself with the Force and lowering himself down.

The Gran snipers try to determine the source of the noise at the choke point
:00: DC 5 Perception +3, Distance -10, Foliage -5
Rolled 1d20-12 : 19 - 12, total 7
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I meant to re-attach the map. And yes, I changed it - took the ole GM discretion and fixed how I had things laid out a bit.  >:D

The sniper blind was limited to about a 120 degree arc of view... who would have set up a security blind like that?

Jingo

Kaida nodded to Logar as he settled in beside her and whispered quietly. "Something is on that watch tower. Could be a sniper or something else. But something moved up there." She tried to point it out but wasn't sure what it was she had seen, nor if Logar would be able to see it anyway. She rolled her eyes feeling a little sheepish she didn't think to bring some sort of binoculars. She shifted a bit to a more comfortable position, but continued to lie prone, surveying the tower and the terrain ahead. "I can't see much more than that, but it looks like they have a good view of the entire approach. I think we should wait until cover of darkness before proceeding. What do you think?"

sdrotar

"Next time, I'm staying on the ship," grumbled Caden. He was wet, smelly and miserable already, and they hadn't even really gotten that far from the ship yet.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Callowmoryne

:ooc: Doug idk if this is feesable but common sense wise could the people in this tower possibly have seen us on speeders. Could logar be suspicious of the enemy having another vantage point?

Logar shot Kaida his winning grin before he realized his new helmet wouldnt let her get the full effect. Then a whole slew of images went through his head of not being able to spit or smile at or bite the people on the business end of his vibrobayonet. He let out a heavy sigh. Shook his helmeted head and got back to business. "A night approach sounds good. Either way i think we need to stay low and watch our ass. Theres no telling what kind of optics they have up there. Or even sensors along this approach. Although i think thats unlikely since the Nexu in the area would undoubtedly drive sensors of that sort crazy, we still shouldnt rule it out." Logar cleared his throat and radioed Fett. "Located a watchtower at the far end of the approach. We were thinking it may be wiser to move in after dark. Any thoughts?

donimator

Oct 26, 2011, 06:12 AM #55 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2011, 06:14 AM by donimator
Sam stood and checked his systems. Superficial damage mostly, but his new plates!! A fragment of a previous memory core passed through his sytem. Yes, he remembered he hated forests. He scanned the hillside looking for a safer way up.

Telcontar

:ooc: I cant make a 36 roll, never mind.

Farok, stood up and brushed himself off. Picking up his lightsaber he truned it back on. "We need to keep moving."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: Callowmoryne on Oct 26, 2011, 05:20 AM:ooc: Doug idk if this is feesable but common sense wise could the people in this tower possibly have seen us on speeders. Could logar be suspicious of the enemy having another vantage point?

:ooc: I wouldn't rule out Logar's tactical deductions. He is a soldier and he knows how he would defend the valley approach. The problem comes down to being able to actually find the defenses. Here are the factors in game turns"

To see the sniper blinds will take a DC 15 Perception check. You take a -5 penalty for every 10 squares you try to see, and the foliage of the jungle conveys a -5. You do have optics in your helmets that give a +2 bonus to Perception and Low-light vision, but that is all. If you had some kind of binoculars, that would help, too - unfortunately, you don't.

Tom - never say never. A nat 20 is always a success no matter what the target number.

Fett heard Logar's report, "A night approach is a sound idea. We are advancing up the valley to your position. If you move, let us know."

Farok's lightsaber ignited, it was a beacon that the Gran snipers were able to bead in on. They brought up their rifles with targeting scopes and fired.

:ooc: I rolled randomly to determine who would be targeted.

From sniper blind 1:
Gran sniper 1 fires at Fett
Swift x2 - Aim (reduces range from Medium -5 to Short -2)
:00: DC 20 ranged +9, distance -2, cover -2
Rolled 1d20+5 : 14 + 5, total 19

damage if successful 3d6+2 : 4, 6, 2 + 2, total 14

Gran sniper 2 fires at Caden
Swift x2 - Aim (reduces range from Medium -5 to Short -2)
:00: DC 20 ranged +9, distance -2, cover -2
Rolled 1d20+5 : 7 + 5, total 12

damage if successful 3d6+2 : 2, 5, 4 + 2, total 13

tomcat

The report from the two slug-thrower rifles echoed down the valley. Kaida and Logar immediately looked behind their position in the direction the shots had come from.

The other companions heard the shots and then the whip crack of the bullets flying at them. Fett saw the flare of the rifle that shot at him from the sniper blind, and he locked in on it. He immediately got low into the foliage and began to move away from where they were.

:ooc: Fett will move 4 x 2

Telcontar

:ooc: on the map where did the shots come from?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear