• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:43 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Wind and Ridges

Started by Eclecticon, Oct 03, 2022, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Reaching at last a place that, if not flat and level or quite broad enough for the whole company to rest in comfort, is at least less demanding of arms and legs burning from hard use.  Worse seems in store, however, for the bare rock before them now looms high and sombre as a fortress wall and overhangs the Fellowship's meagre station.  Hearts sink for a moment as Arbogast, still and steady, shushes the conversation before it can truly begin. 

"There is a whistle," he says, "like a giant's flute.  I have heard the Men of Mountain Hall speak of natural chimneys in the moutains, many climbable by Men inside, and I believe there to be one such here." 

A brief but careful search reveals a marvellous sight: not only a narrow crevice that opens into a tall passage with light shining down from above, but one where some long-ago explorer has driven pitons of strong iron into the rock where, sheltered from ice and wind, they abide still.  But for how long have they done so?  And can their strength still be trusted?

:ooc: It's everyone's favourite skill test again: Craft to judge the extent to which corrosion has rendered the pitons dangerous.  Tom, Hathcyn can be all Wary and drop the TN for this one from 14 to 12. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

"Is this fortune or another new and creative way for the mountain to kill us?" The Beorning examined the placing and quality of the iron rods.

Cratt:
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

"Well, if we try this way at least at points we may have an anchor point and be less exposed to the wind. Let us rest here a moment sheltered at least from the buffeting wind."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim joins the Man with inspecting the all-too-coincidental appearance of aid in these harsh mountains.  Skeptical to say the least, their way has been marred by too many encounters and failings leaving them all beaten and battered -- a little good news would be warranted.

:ooc:
Using 1 bonus die gained before from the Song achievement earlier, apropos to the current situation of their travel.

:00:
Craft -  1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 2, total 13

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

In the dim light within the chimney, Gwaithlim examines the pitons and cannot suppress a brief laugh of surprise, for though the metal is old, pitted and stained with rust gathered over years untold, the ones nearby are of a curiously uniform shape, their lines straight and true.  This and other subtle signs only his Elf-eyes can readily make out mark them, in his judgement, as the work of craftsmen of Eregion, and though they are without any imbued magic of their own, they are nonetheless the forgings of cunning iron-wrights who in that vanished realm traded secrets of the forge with the greatest of Dwarf-smiths.  Ancient as they are, he has no doubt that they will serve this day as they served centuries ago. 

But who placed them here, he wonders, and for what purpose did they seek to conquer the mountain?

:ooc: A nice little discovery by Gwaithlim there, netting everyone an additional XP (I haven't updated character sheets but remind me at the end of the adventure, as per the toppling of the stone) and a bonus die for the climb:

Arbogast (Athletics TN 14)
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 6, total 10

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 3, total 10

Gwaithlim
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 5, 4, total 13

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 2, total 11

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Swift is their ascent of the chimney, aided by ropes, fast-sited pitons and the narrowness of the walls themselves, all save Arbogast.  The Fire-watcher finds his shield, strapped firmly across his shoulders, abruptly catches in a narrowing of the chimney some two-thirds of the way to the light above.  Unable to climb higher or to descend, he finds himself in a sudden and quite unaccustomed panic, his mind filling with visions of the chimney closing in, constricting and crushing like a strangler's hands. 

Only for a moment does the panic overtake him, but in that moment his surrender to it is total, and he cries out and shakes himself almost to the point of falling before Beorn's gruff voice sounds from above.  "Be still, fool!  You've not come so far to die here!" 

More than the words it is the familiar voice that brings him back to his senses and, after a time to let himself settle, he is able to free himself once again and resume the climb, his shame invisible in the chimney's close confines. 

:ooc: Successes for everyone except Arbogast.  :roll:  He racks up two points of temporary Shadow.  Esgalwen gets an AP for her great success, and while I'm :csu:-ing, I've added the XP on to everyone's sheet. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

The bracing wind on the surface returned and it caused the sweat to dry and cake salt on hus brow.

"I suppose the journey back will be easier. We can always just let go and hasten the descent."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Yet another milestone along their journey passed but the end still seems so far away.  The elf's eyes can tell they are getting closer, but the oppressiveness of the task and the general environment negate any feeling of accomplishment.  He can only shake his head at the Beorning's gallows humor.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

At first, Arbogast's reply to Hathcyn is a glower of wounded pride, but his heart quickly warms to the jest.  "Why go down at all?" he rejoinds.  "High as we are, we must be plain to see, and surely if we shout loud enough all the dark things of Middle-Earth can come and find us here." 

Both are quickly shushed by Esgalwen, however, and she raises her finger to the snow that covers the higher slopes even in May.  In a low voice, she chides "In summer, the mountains hold their last snows but loosely.  As a girl, I once saw them set a-slide by the war-calls of an intemperate goblin band, and I'll not soon forget the bodies of the score or more of the creatures that came to rest far below, thrashed and broken.  If we are to go yet higher, we must do so as quietly as we can." 

"Not higher," grimaces Beorn, the exertion of his wounded side once again rendering his face pale beneath his beard.  "Nothing awaits us at the top but snow and empty wind." 

"Then what..." Gwaithlim begins to answer.

"Well," Beorn cuts him off, "I can go no higher, but having climbed this high I'm not minded to go straight back down!  We make our way around to the north-east." 

"I see a way," Arbogast says, shading his eyes against the sun that breaks now and again through the clouds that rush eastward above the peaks like sheep fearful of the sheep-dog's nipping jaws. 

"Good.  I knew there'd be one.  But your friend is right: where we go now, we go softly." 

:ooc: I'm going to run this next sequence almost as a blend of a standard extended test and an Encounter: every character has to accumulate three successes on a Stealth test (TN 14) before the Tolerance (in this case, of the avalanche-ready snow) is exceeded.  Do you know what the Tolerance is?  No, you do not - but anyone succeeding at a TN 16 Awareness roll can get a rough idea, and greater levels of success will provide greater specificity. 

To save time, I'll assume that everyone wants to try that roll:
Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 3, total 6

Esgalwen
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 1, total 8

Gwaithlim
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 1, total 4

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 3, total 13

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: With Hathcyn's great success, I'll tell you that it's in the 3-5 range.  AP for Esgalwen and Hathcyn (tagging Wary, which seems very appropriate).  :csu:

Also, another :~~: from Arbogast inches you closer to being revealed to the Eye...

Character sheet

Telcontar

"We are not likely to find very much to burn up here. Though these look to be scrub pine. Let us take a moment to rest and look about ourselves before pressing on."

The Beorning examined the scrub brush and found that the small trees grew juniper berries which he harvested. Also between the gaps there was long dried moss and grass he also collected. He worked quickly and hoped to have enough to make a flavored tea and hopefully enough fuel to heat the water.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Though there is little fuel to be gathered, the fire fed with dry moss and juniper needles is small but merry-seeming, and the warm, berry-seasoned water gives a moment of respite from the cold of wind and bare stone.  Then, cups emptied, the company begins its passage across the craggy and treacherous mountain side, the white snow lingering like a headsman's axe above them. 

:ooc: I'll start the Stealthing off with Arbogast.  He's not the best candidate but someone's going to have to be first. 

:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The Fire-watcher moves gingerly across the rocks, placing cold-numbed feet with as much care as he can muster and seeking not to see whether the remaining companions follow.  Beorn, grumbling with the effort, lifts himself and follows in the Fire-watcher's footsteps

:ooc: I'll do Stealth rolls for Beorn as well.  He's unlikely to fail, but it's worth rolling for drama.
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 1, total 5

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Current success tally:

Arbogast: 1/3
Beorn: 1/3
Esgalwen: 0/3
Gwaithlim: 0/3
Hathcyn: 0/3

No failures so far.  The snow is holding firm. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Picking juniper berries out of his teeth and enjoying the taste of pine Hathcyn follows.
Rolled 1d12 : 4, total 4

Rolled 2d6 : 3, 5, total 8
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear