• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:25 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Northward Path

Started by Eclecticon, Dec 06, 2021, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

So it is that, shortly after dawn, the four companions once again take to the road, following the now well-travelled Dwarf road west to the Old Ford, where Grimbeorn and Hathcyn are greeted as befits worthy warriors, and Esgalwen and Arbogast as honoured friends of the folk.  From the western bank, they leave the stones of the road and turn north, following the Great River into the wilder country of the Beornings, where the steadings are fewer and their walls stouter, and the lone lands between may hear the voices of Men but once or twice in a year.  Though the going is easy and the sun bright and warm, still they travel warily, for this time, when crops and fruit are ripening and cattle are fattening lazily, is the season of fire and iron, and the unspoken threat of Viglunding raiders looms over the land. 

Ahead of them, at the end of a long series of foot trails and game paths, shallow dells and rolling hills, beyond the fleet and chill waters of the Langwell river, lie the vales of Mount Gundabad, in whose shadow rose of old the city of the Éothéod. 

:ooc: We're doing a journey, and not a short one either.  This calls for some Lore rolls:

Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 3, 3, total 12

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Dec 06, 2021, 08:09 PM #1 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2021, 08:11 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: That's one bonus die for Arbogast, and two for Grimbeorn.   

EDIT: :csu:

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: The first five days (and first Fatigue test - TN 16) will bring the companions to the crossing of the Rushdown River, near the base of the Eagles Falls, and out of the lands of Beorn's folk. 

Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 2, total 11

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 3, 2, total 9

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 6, 6, 4, total 18

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 5, total 12

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Dec 06, 2021, 08:19 PM #3 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2021, 08:23 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Whoops, that should've been TN 14.  Regardless, everyone knocked it out of the park.  :csu: again. 

More to follow - likely tomorrow.

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn looked east across the river and the rolling hills. He paused and looked for a long moment.

"Are you missing the forest?" Asked Esgalwen.

He was silent for a moment longer.
"Out there is the man who would be my father-in-law and I burned the Hall of his father's to the ground and freed all his slaves."

Hathcyn smiled, "this will make Yule time interesting for years to come."

He laughed then to the sky.

"When I think of it that way it does not trouble me. Maybe one day Aestid will see her home again and maybe not. But she shall be the heart of my hall and we shall welcome all free folk who come in peace, even her father and brother should they ever come. Here before the sky, the river, and in sight of their land I swear. I'll extend my hand in peace if they take it and abide in truth and out of filial respect I'll send them a barrel of beer every year whether they accept it or no."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"I am glad to see your hopes be higher than mine for peace.  My mind and heart still dwell upon our failure there.  True enough some amends were made but our people are still not wholly united.  One day that may come."

"I do miss the the cover of twig and bow of the forest ere we approach these accursed lands.  It is said that goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst kind have been spawned in these lands.  Though the charge of the Free Peoples in the battle about Dale and Erebor broke their might, it has been many a-year since and they waste no time in replenishing their number nor rebuilding their arms.  We must maintain all caution so from here on out we should forego a fire at night if we can help it."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

"Cool is the bearing of the Wolfslayer, but colder still is his campsite."

Hathcyn laughed again. "Tate would make a song of that for sure. You are right, we go north and the land is dangerous, but if we pass a house and a fire near to the end of day then I say there is no harm in asking for a fire that is already burning. They may have ale and comley daughters too!"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Esgalwen marveled at Hathcyn's happy mood. The man, in battle, could become so fey as he plunged his body into the fight with no thought whether he live or not, only to reveal his ever positive mind as he stood on the stoop of his tavern.

His laughter and mood were contagious and the woman could not help but laugh and feel merry, even as they pushed into the north lands towards Mount Gundabad. The mentioning of Tate's name made her smile and ignore the man's outlook for ale and daughters, though she could not help herself to add to the conversation.

"Aye, the ale would be good but I am not sure what I am to do with a daughter... comely, or not?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

"Speaking now as a father of daughters, rather than a pursuer of them," Arbogast adds, "the likes of you and he ought do nothing but admire them from a respectable distance." 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Thus passes the night in easy mirth, as the stars in their silent glory wheel above.  The following day sees the Fellowship leave the roaring of the Eagles' Falls, where it is said the high and noble birds gather to conduct business that they will suffer no other being to observe, and venture northward once again.  This land is wild enough that it might be supposed that Men have never sought to dwell here, though upon their seventh day since leaving the Road behind they pass a pair of standing stones bearing carvings so time-weathered as to be almost lost.  "These were raised by Men in an Age gone by," he says, "though none can say where the path they mark once led." 

The following day, the solitude of the empty vales is broken.  From his position ahead of his companions, Arbogast returns, his mien grave.  "From atop the next hill, I espied a ford across the shallows of the river.  Come see." 

The reason for his concern is plain when the others find his position, for it is plain that two groups, one small and the other yet smaller, have just forded the Anduin. 

:ooc: I'm going to roll some Awareness rolls and see what you can see. 

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 4, 3, total 9

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 5, 4, total 10

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 6, 1, total 11

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Dec 07, 2021, 08:06 PM #10 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2021, 08:08 PM by Eclecticon
As the two Beornings watch three figures, one the size of an impressive warrior and two slighter, struggle away from the river, five others, clearly well-armed and strong, give chase, though they are slowed by the weight of their armour and shields. 

Esgalwen, try as she might to keep her focus upon the story playing out on the lower lands, finds her mind drifting.  The scent of the grass and loam beneath her, the feeling of the summer sun on her back and the sound of the wind as it blows over the hilltop seems to bid her to put such fleeting concerns from her mind, and let herself give in to the peaceful drowsiness that now engulfs her. 

:ooc: In case you're wondering, both groups are about a mile away, so it will take some time before you can reach either one.  The lands in between are full of copses of trees and shrubs, hidden dells and such, so it would be possible to get closer without being seen, if that's what you want to do. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Gwen, you are known to keep the company of woodland rouges, are these any friends of yours?" Hathcyn noted that she was not paying attention and turned back to the men. Hathcyn spied out the lay of the land with its folds and hills.

"Let us make our way towards them and see what we may learn. Perhaps one of the groups will have news, or tidings we can use. Or more likely than not we'll be embroiled in someone else's bussiness as we often are. This is a lone land though, so I am sure we may find something interesting. Maybe even news of that snake of Beorning who almost got us killed in Laketown. This would be a land suitable for him to hide away in."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Dec 08, 2021, 08:19 AM #12 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2021, 08:24 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Of course, Esgalwen rolls an :~~: . It is her fate to always struggle to earn any APs.  ;)

Hathcyn's inquiry drew her mind back to the present. She looked to where her Beorning friends gestured, but she saw nothing but the swathe of green stretching before them until it reached the blue-brown hint of the river.

"I fancy to call you a woodland rogue, as well, Hathcyn, but I cannot say that I make them regular companions." She assumed that the man was inferring her relationship with Mogdred of the southern wood meant that she consorted with others of his ilk. She squinted again to try and make out what they had seen, "I cannot avow for any strangers north of the Carrock, and even those south I would need the details of their patronage.

"I agree, though... let us approach and see what can be learned."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Any noticeable sigils, crests, or banners that would be recognizable?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Not at this distance - at least, not without elf eyes to see them. 

Character sheet