• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 07:17 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Northward Path

Started by Eclecticon, Dec 06, 2021, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Nearer and nearer draw the companions to the fugitives and their pursuers, and the closer they come the clearer the seeming that they have arrived to witness the end of a long pursuit.  Two of the three fugitives are obviously exhausted, staggering and stumbling even on the easy slope by the river bank.  One, by bearing and apparel a warrior, towers over the others, the long blond hair of a Northman unruly and blowing in the breeze.  The other two are slighter, one bent and hooded and the other with the slight build of a child just beginning to come into manhood. 

Their pursuers are much less a riddle.  The five bear arms and armour fashioned in the mode common to all folk of the Anduin vales.  As they approach the three strangers, they spread out to surround their quarry like a wolf-pack, cautious only of the largest and clearly eager for an easy capture of the other two.   

With a shift in the wind, the voice of their leader carries to the Fellowship: "...merry chase indeed, but you find yourselves now outmatched and run to ground.  Yield to me, and I swear that..." 

Though the wind, fleeting as ever, carries away the speaker's oath, the words that reach them set Grimbeorn and Hathcyn's knuckles tightening upon hafts and enarmes, for they are spoken in the voice of Wulfdan the Traitor.   
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc:  (-D
Oh man! Priceless! That's the dude I was thinking about.

Doug i was actually thinking of the woodmen ruffians we used as scouts, but interesting where Gwen's mind went.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Hathcyns eyes narrowed and he tightened his grip on his spear. Only the fear that he would escape restrained him.

"Well, I know who's side I'm on. Now is the hour of my revenge. The fates have brought us to him again."

Hathcyn shifted his stance and prepared to attack unless he is restrained.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Let loose a warning," Grimbeorn says to Esgalwen.  "Hopefully we can get there in time," he remarks as he spurs himself across the field with Hathcyn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: well that settles it. Beorning's doing Beorning things....

Out from their hiding spot burst the two men. The hunters have their backs to the river now and the hunted have become the prey. The foliage crashes and snaps as the men spring forth taking both parties by surprise as a third party has entered the fray.

"Wulfdan! Traitor to folk and lord! Here in the wild the nornir have woven our paths to cross and have spun out the threads of your life. THE LONGSPEAR AND WOLFSLAYER ARE UPON YOU!" 

Esgalwen marveled at the transition of these people of the north. In one moment speaking of skies and trees, the joys of life, and then in the next moment bent upon death and slaughter. These folk of the north were passionate people, of that there was no doubt. Then the peril of the moment called her back to the deeds unfolding in this remote wood.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

In reply to Grimbeorn's request, even as the men burst forward upon their mounts, Esgalwen pulled forth her bow and loosed an arrow.

:ooc: Per Grimbeorn's request, it will be a warning shot so my goal here is to NOT hit anyone but have it cut through their numbers in a threatening manner. I guess the goal on the dice is not to get a failure.

TN 14 great bow 4d
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 4, 6, 1, total 13
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: That looks like a solid warning shot. You let me know, Paul.

Tom - yea, I thought it something a woman might say back with a sarcastic bite. I am glad you liked the response.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Esgalwen's arrow whistles through the air to pass through the centre of the two groups, leaving confusion in its wake.  The yelp of the youngest of the strangers is drowned out by the bellows of Grimbeorn and Hathcyn as they charge forth, strong legs hurling them through the tall wild rye.  Arbogast follows in their wake, his shield unslung and his hands working to free his axe as he advances. 

"YOU!"  cries Wulfdan, sword already in motion as he lunges toward one of the strangers.  His Viglunding warriors also move, three to meet the advancing companions, two to seize their quarry before the foe can free them. 

:ooc: Let's do some combat!  Battle rolls incoming:

Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 5d6 : 1, 2, 2, 1, 6, total 12

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 1, total 6

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 2, 1, total 9

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 6, total 10
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet