• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 09:38 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - The Road Goes Ever On and On

Started by Eclecticon, Nov 19, 2018, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Posterboy

:ooc: Do we not all need to choose to work on the road in order for the work to progress? (Similar to choosing to Open a Sanctuary... either all the PCs or it doesn't work?) That was my understanding... if that is not the case, regardless Tate would be staying with Esgalwen... if she's not staying to work on the road, then neither is Tate.

I have a story in mind for Tate which explains why he's not around for this next phase. (I just don't have space to write it) My idea was that when Tate and Gwen reached Dale, Tate connects with Kilic, the Dorwinion warrior. Kilic informs Tate that a merchant from Dorwinion arrived, looking for Tate's father. Apparently, Tate's father had made a business investment in Dorwinion that has become prosperous. The merchant has brought a small token of the wealth (the 6 treasure points).

Tate and Kilic make plans to go to Dorwinion to look into Tate's father's investments. Tate invites Esgalwen to join him, but she resists, her duties to her mission and her companions keep her in Dale. Perhaps during this time, the two finally move into a courting relationship... perhaps not (I'm not certain about this)

I am certain though that Tate does have some type of conversation with Gwen prior to leaving, where he presents her with a token of his affection and love for her... an intricate wooden music box perhaps with a common Laketown lullaby... or maybe a simple charm on a chain. I was wondering if maybe the benefit from my weal-or-woe roll (providing a bonus of +1 to the fellowship pool might turn into a temporary +1 hope specifically for Gwen... that in a moment of darkness, the tune of the music box might bring a bit of hope to the Lady.

With the gift, Tate would ask that they commit to meeting again in Laketown, at the Missing Scale, two years from hence, to see what love had kindled.

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 23, 2018, 06:47 AMMore to follow... (as soon as Paul gives me a hint as to what that life-changing event will be, or if he passes that buck to me).
I'm going to throw Esgalwen's life changing good fortune back to you, for two reasons.  First, I'm passing the LM hat back to you, so the event should suit your plans for the campaign, not mine.  Second, Esgalwen is thoroughly your character now, so you should have the final say - though I'd be saying otherwise if you'd rolled a :~~: !

That said, I'd like to offer some suggestions.  As I see it, a :g: indicates something that's changed who the character is as a person. It should probably have a mechanical aspect to it,and it should tie into their overall character arc.  So, in Arbogast's case, he got a new Trait to mark the change in his personality as he came to understand the scale, and the stakes, of the undeclared war in which he involved himself.  It's a step in his developer from 'insecure young outcast warrior' to 'grand strategist of the Woodmen'.

Esgalwen's arc, as far as I can see, is much more a 'Lawrence of Arabia' story - she's finding a home in a place, and among people, that were initially very strange to her.  I would tie her result in to that.  Perhaps she had found a new home in Dale, having seen at last that the young kingdom suits her adventurous nature more than far Gondor ever will.  Gondor is great and noble, but it's a culture in a slow, grinding decline.  Dale is expanding and full of optimism.  Gondor has been waiting for a king for nearly three thousand years.  Dale just went ahead and got itself one!

On a related note, there's also her lost companion.  Perhaps he had broken free of the Elftower and wound up in the Missing Scale chasing rumours of her?  Having not seen her in years, he is in a position to notice how much she had become like the Northmen round her, and that recognition gives her the permission she didn't previously realise she'd been waiting for to let go of her emotional ties to the south and admit that this is her home now?

Like I said - up to you.

Mechanically, there's a couple of things I could suggest.  New Traits, obviously, but perhaps her putting down roots in Dale ties her into the kingdom's goings-on such that she now shares its prosperity, and her standard of living is now Prosperous.  Maybe she gains a new favoured skill to represent her embrace of new ways?

Maybe she even shifts her Calling, going from being a Wanderer to something else (probably a Warden or Captain)?

Maybe the change is even large enough that she can leave her permanent Shadow points (and personality flaw) behind and start with a clean slate?
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Paladin003

Eclecticon

Quote from: Posterboy on Nov 23, 2018, 04:26 PM:ooc: Do we not all need to choose to work on the road in order for the work to progress? (Similar to choosing to Open a Sanctuary... either all the PCs or it doesn't work?) That was my understanding...
That's right - it needs the whole Fellowship involved or it doesn't happen. 

By implication, we each get another underaking for an extra-long fellowship phase.  Right, Doug?

Character sheet

Telcontar

Im down for at least one undertaking on the Road.

Are we passing a complete second year too? That will mean another weal and woe roll as well so I'll domone narrative to fill the whole time.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 24, 2018, 01:05 PMThat's right - it needs the whole Fellowship involved or it doesn't happen. 

By implication, we each get another undertaking for an extra-long fellowship phase.  Right, Doug?

I am calling a LM audible here and saying that the road work (and possibly other undertakings) do not need a whole party involvement. I see Fellowship phases as times for PC to 'go home' and chill, and everyone isn't going to want to do the same thing. Now - this said, I might require a few more Fellowship phase undertakings to see a major task done (i.e. opening the Dwarf Road), but the PC's can do what they want with their time. Basically, if the Fellowship is five strong and only two wish to go work the road - then it would require another two undertakings to see a step done (repairing watch forts, clearing the wood, etc.)

Make sense? But the efforts can be made. Besides, the Dwarves have a lot of crews working by this point and this is a 'living, breathing' world which is in motion outside of the PC actions.

If anyone wants to contest this idea, let me hear your arguments.

Quote from: Telcontar on Nov 24, 2018, 01:30 PMIm down for at least one undertaking on the Road.

Are we passing a complete second year too? That will mean another weal and woe roll as well so I'll do more narrative to fill the whole time.

Tom, we will have two undertakings, but there is only the one Year-end (2953-2954). I have decided to bring the game back into session third-quarter 2954.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Sore weary in arm and back, Arbogast drops himself down onto the pile of soft leaves and straw next to where Lindwine nurses Wilone.  "I cannot fathom it," he says.  "My hands are as strong as those of any man here, but there is no art within them, it seems, to build things anew.  Only to move from place to place and, more often, to break." 

Lindwine, her own weariness clear to everyone in the rough-built hall but her husband, looks on with indulgent patience, saying nothing lest she wake the child who has just finished drinking herself into slumber. 

"Did you hear," Arbogast continues, "that Aodhan has been asked to carve the pillars of the rebuilt Wayfort?  So far spreads his fame that even they of Erebor take notice!  And I saw, I swear, the Dwarf Anar stare mutely at a stone for nigh on an hour, then strike not more than four blows with hammer and chisel and behold, there was a perfect capstone for that collapsed doorway!"  He sighs.  "Ever have I admired those who can fashion brute matter into useful things." 

"Your lack of such skill surprises you?" Lindwine asks, after a time.  "You, who seem to spend most every day venturing toward some dismal place to do battle?" 

"It cannot be that often," he retorts.  "Why, I have not had occasion to raise my hand in anger in..."  He ponders the question.  "Alright, in nearly a week.  But still..." he trails off into silent gloom. 

After placing Wilone in a hammock made from a homespun cloak and two branches, Lindwine kneels beside him.  "Why does this trouble you now?" 

Arbogast sits silent for some time before finally speaking.  "By the side of Grimbeorn, and Esgalwen and the rest, I have slain many foul things, and never has it troubled my rest.  But at Stánford I slew Men, and Men who gave us battle not from malice, but in service to their chieftain and to secure food for their families.  Four men I slew that day, and I suspect one boy not yet old enough to grow a beard.  It is a poor thing to have done in these times when all ought to stand together." 

Lindwine looks thoughtful, but gathers her words much more rapidly than the Fire-watcher.  "When your friend Bandobras dwelled among us," she replies, "he planted many seeds, and some of his plants grow, and serve the folk of the Black Tarn, to this day.  You were wise in the ways of herbs yourself in your younger days.  Perhaps tending things that grow green and healthy will bring some balance to the scales of life and death that seem to trouble you?" 

"You are wise as ever," he responds. 

And so it is that he begins a correspondence with distant Radaghast, the two sending messages too and fro via the birds of Mirkwood.  By the time he returns home, the birds have begun bringing seeds and cuttings from the wizard's own gardens and Arbogast enthusiastically tills the soil as summer comes to an end.  It becomes clear, however, that he is, at best, an indifferent gardener.  "It is no use!" he complains once more to Lindwine.  "No legacy will I leave that will stand as evidence that I tried to do anything but slay my foes." 

"Do you think so?  Much have I seen of elder days since first I came with you to the Forest Road, and though much is still unknown to me, this I have learned: stones and carven wood will outlive those who make them, it is true.  But they are mute things and can care not for themselves.  Were the Dwarves to leave the forest once more tomorrow, the wood would begin to reclaim their works the day after, and a hundred years from now there would be little sign that ever they were there." 

She points to Lafwyne and Cyffa, near where the palisade is being patched with new timbers, who appear to have invented a complicated game involving jumping over sticks in succession and are teaching it to the other children of the village.  "Your legacy, and mine, will outlive us, if we tend it well, and long after we are gone will be a living thing, carrying on into future ages of the world.  Is this not a legacy to put the great craftsmen of the Dwarves to shame?" 

No word does he utter in response, for none is necessary.  Instead, he gathers her close to him and watches their children play, who will carry the fire of the Free Peoples. 

:ooc: Okay, my self-indulgent writing binge is done now.  Time to stop neglecting my actual children! 

Nota bene, Arbogast's Conferring with Radaghast the Brown has enabled him to pick up the Herb-lore trait once again, having been reminded of what he once knew. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: yes, makes perfect sense. I always thought the same thing with opening a sanctuary, why would the whole party have to do that all at once?

Because I am dense...
I have already dcided my two undertakings and done my year end roll so I am all set. Correct?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Nov 25, 2018, 03:29 PM #39 Last Edit: Nov 25, 2018, 03:32 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: So, by my count:

Hathcyn :csu:
Esgalwen :csu:
Arbogast :csu:
Anar - partial (Weal/Woe roll done, but needs to spend AP/XP and choose undertakings)
Grimbeorn - still waiting.

Also, there are three un-allocated Hope points waiting to be claimed.  If nobody else needs them, I'm going to suggest they go to Grimbeorn - he ran himself ragged in the fight against the Werewolf and has recently had a bit of a change in fortune. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Sounds good to me. I have no issues with that.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn
xP: 4+8 =12 (bank these)
aP: 0+13=13
8 - Inspire ♦♦
5 remaining

Weal & Woe
 :00: [roll]
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
[/roll]
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 26, 2018, 06:03 PM #42 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 09:11 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Well, I'll be... good fortune after all.  And yes, it'd be much appreciated to acquire more Hope, seems like he's got much to be hopeful.

Undertaking:
1. Support the retaking of the wayforts
2. Unless there is any other ideas, Search for Answers (seeks out more about his bear heritage)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: It's been a big year for our Fellowship - two life-changing events over the winter! 

Matt, if you're stuck for appropriate ideas for Grimbeorn's good fortune, remember that he's been forcibly shoved out of his comfort zone this year, so some character development is to be expected - a new Distinctive Trait would suit this well.  'Lordly' is particularly appropriate. 

Mike, let us know if you'd like any suggestions for ways to grow Anar. 

Character sheet

Paladin003

I would actually love that. Just don't want to mess up the character. Like I said this is the first FP I've done ever