• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 07:54 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - The Road Goes Ever On and On

Started by Eclecticon, Nov 19, 2018, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

You could also have him get hitched to Aestid.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

LOL I was considering Idunn as well... damn to be The Wilderland's most eligible bachelor.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

I think I'll take on a new Distinctive Feature for my other undertaking (Honorable).  I believe Grimbeorn has displayed much of that in the home of Viglund and among his people.  It will replace Grim.  It will take me a little bit to describe these changes in the man, so please bear with me  ;)
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Wuss. Getting married would have been more reckless.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 27, 2018, 09:12 AM #49 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 09:14 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Do I need to do a Holdings roll too?  I don't recall this from before.

I have not ruled out marriage, or at least courting.  But he's got two eligible women, one who has proven herself in battle and worthy companion while the other helped his people, started an insurrection in her father's home, and fled where marriage could either help heal or divide further the Viglundings from the Beornings.  Politics...
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

If Gandalf were here you'd already be married to Aestid and an emmissary from Dale would ask you to be a formal member of the Mannish League of Trade guarding the ends of the dwarf road for reduced toll rates.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Grimbeorn's Lore test for his Search for answers:

TN 14 lore 2d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 1, total 5

He then rolls the feat die, but everything is determined on his roll above. I will give results in next post.

Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Nov 27, 2018, 01:55 PM #52 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 02:29 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 27, 2018, 05:36 AMI think I'll take on a new Distinctive Feature for my other undertaking (Honorable).  I believe Grimbeorn has displayed much of that in the home of Viglund and among his people.  It will replace Grim. 
:ooc: If you're doing this as an undertaking (instead of Search for Answers), then cool, but we'll need to disregard Doug's rolls.  If you wanted the new Trait from your Weal/Woe roll, then it doesn't need to replace anything. 

Quote from: Paladin003 on Nov 26, 2018, 08:20 PMI would actually love that. Just don't want to mess up the character. Like I said this is the first FP I've done ever
:ooc: Happy to help!  Mechanically, Anar hasn't done too badly out of his first adventure - 4 XP and 8 AP.  The XP total isn't enough to buy another level of (Axes), which is a shame, as there's a big difference between two dice in a weapon skill and three.  But the next adventure will probably provide enough XP to deal with that.  In the meantime, 4 XP is enough to buy another level of Spear or Dagger, or to increase his Valour to 2.  Of those choices, I personally would go for the Valour - he's just been thorugh his second mass battle, so becoming less prone to fear seems to fit.  He'll also get a Reward, which could either be a gift from Rorin or Grimbeorn to thank him for his efforts in the battle, or something he's acquired back in the Iron Hills (or forged himself!). 

As for the AP, there's plenty of skills he could increase (anything with no ranks, or with one).  The most in-character, and potentially the most useful, is his Lore skill.  The Departure of Bandobras at the end of 2952 left the Fellowship without a terribly impressive Lore among us, and as it's a Favoured skill (from being a Scholar) he can buy new ranks very cheaply.  6 AP gets Anar his second rank, and 2 AP go into the bank for next time. 

You get to pick some undertakings.  The first probably should be to work on reclaiming the forts, both to keep the Road reclamation bopping along and because I've already written him in as doing so up-thread.  The second can be just about anything you can justify.  As I said earlier, you can find a complete list here.  Have a read through and see what seems interesting. 

Then (and this is the really good part) you get to write up what's been happening to Anar in between adventures.  This gives you a chance, not only to flesh out the character, but to write in details that will become part of the campaign's legendarium.  Introduce NPCs, hooks for future adventures or subplots, interactions with other PCs etc. with wild abandon! 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

I'll use the Weal/Woe result if that is acceptable to trade Distinctive Features.
------

From the night at the Carrock, the thanes of Beorn see more of the man that was named his heir and what they saw was good.  Here was someone that they could count on to have a level head and a capacity for mercy, especially towards those who didn't deserve it.  A few thought this a weakness but changed their minds finding the remainder of the raider folk to mix well with the rest of the Beornings, seeking a life of peace and honest work.  He continued to deal with all justly and fairly yet still with a grim countenance, only those that truly knew him saw beneath and beyond the gruff exterior. 

The winter was good in The Wilderland for the Free Peoples.  Midwinter festivities came and went.  Word came from the North that Viglund was licking his wounds and quietly rebuilding what he'd lost in the previous year -- he was still a threat to watch.  Grudges quickly faded as fast as the snow melted when winter gave way to spring when the frozen, half-gnawed body of Vidugalum was found in the wild land beyond the borders of the Beornings.  Many came out to till and plant and tend the lands, while others fished or felled trees for homes and heating the hearth.  More came to become road-wardens at the east and west ends of the Old Road, assisting travelers and caravans over the Misty Mountains into lands of Eriador or along the well-worn and ancient path through Mirkwood and on to the lands in the east.  The Beornings were one people again and their numbers began to swell again for fame of the bear-man spread from his deeds, the promise of a better life, or dreams of adventure on road from west of The Wilderland going east to Dale and The Lonely Mountain.

Grimbeorn doubled down on his commitment to his allies in the dwarfs and men of Dale by continuing the effort to cleanse the road of its dangers and reclaiming the old waypoints along the ancient path.  Spiders and other beasts continued to plague the area but their attacks soon dwindled as blade and bow kept them at bay under the direction of Grimbeorn and others of the Fellowship.  Again, though they have fallen away, they are no foe to think gone for good.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

The previously ill favored son of the north Hathcyn Kinslayer saw the rise of his fortunes considerably. Having bound himself to the fate of Grimbeorn Wolfslayer he had received substantial hurts to his body, but also saw the rise of his standing among his folk. Not only was he named the carrier of war banner of the Beorning warhost, but he had been a key player in both the battle at the steading, the duel of the north, and the battle of Stanford. As the tale of the deeds of the year began to circulate among the people Hathcyn's name was specifically linked withe the firing of the great hall of the Viglundings in the north.

His good fortune was not tied solely to the exploits of Grimbeorn. His leading of the work gangs made him well known in the area of Beorn's Hall among the cottar and Theng alike. The Longspear also profited greatly by his purchase of cattle from the red headed widow Upala. Her ability to husband and care for the animals clearly outpaced that of her dead husband. The herd was expanded and those selected for butchering raised a higher price than normal. As a result both Hathcyn and his cattle warden realized an increase in their holdings as the year closed. The quick smile and helping hand of the knave also allowed the steer horns to be made into drinking cups. They were simple and unadorned, the drinking vessels of a poor family. But they were new and didnt leak, and made from a herd of his own. In the company of Upala and her son the three rose the cups many times to toast their collective good fortune. The woman grateful for the promise of a safe winter and the man marveled at the fall and bounce of the woman's red curls both well pleased with their good fortune.

Unsuited to being idle long Hathcyn could not long endure the quiet of Beorn's Hall and the hair of new widow. As days turned into a week he took his leave and headed to the Old Ford. He hoped some time in the garrison would be as profitable as word and rumor made it out to be. Ill content with just cows he hoped to improve his fortunes further and not live solely on the laeger of Beorn. So with Harhold in tow the two spent their time at the crossing, spending their time in what passed as soldiering among the Beronings.

This too did not occupy the two long. The year was slow in passing and the woods and gold of the dwarves in the north tugged at their pockets and hearts. So the two took their leave of the old ford and again made their way north to haul and cut wood and set the milforts to right. Heavy work, but full of comradeship and honest work for those who would have it. In time even the men began to see the results of their toil and work as the road, and what it could be, took shape in the minds of men as it had in the dreams of dwarves.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Paladin003

I will upgrade my Valor and get Ironfoot Hauberk as a reward. (He will receive it as a thank you from Grimbeorn)

I'll save all my other points for now.

As for undertakings he will work to reclaim the forts, and as for the second undertaking I will choose Dwarven-Smithing (from Erebor pg 32, if allowed?)
But instead of rolling for crafting, I will instead get a Great Material: A set of ancient smithing tools from Eregion.

Paladin003

Anar knew that he needed to craft something amazing if he was ever to be known as one of the greatest craftsman in Middle-Earth. The only trouble is that he's not sure what he wants to make. A weapon or armor? Or something else? And what materials will he need to make it. He believed in his ability to craft it. But knew that it needed to be perfect. This would be his major life's work after all. Anar spends his time looking at every crafted item he can get his hands on. The Dwarf takes notes on the craftsmanship to better understand what he's looking for. Anar spent much of the winter this way, with the occasional hunt to get his blood running warm in the cold air, not to mention the thrill of the chase. His thoughts also move onto finding Master Craftsman to potentially learn from them.

Eclecticon

Nov 29, 2018, 01:21 PM #57 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018, 04:26 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: And that, I believe, is a complete Fellowship Phase. 

Over to you, Loremaster.

EDIT: Wait, curses - there's still Esgalwen's good fortune to resolve!
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Very cool!

I will have the new chapter up with the weekend.

I am still collating some notes from Paul and my personal messages, as well as working with the DoM timeline to mesh with ours - and not lose out on some stuff. Also I am reading LoD to see if there are any good side arcs to incorporate.

Lastly, I have to run a one-shot Star Wars Saga game at my buddy's gaming store this Saturday, so I am doing some prep on that, too.

All of this and trying to get the house ready for Christmas. But as Tom says, THE GAME MUST GO ON!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Quote from: Paladin003 on Nov 29, 2018, 07:36 AMAs for undertakings he will work to reclaim the forts, and as for the second undertaking I will choose Dwarven-Smithing (from Erebor pg 32, if allowed?) But instead of rolling for crafting, I will instead get a Great Material: A set of ancient smithing tools from Eregion.

Cool - I have updated the FELLOWSHIP thread to show the last (5th) undertaking made by a PC to finish the way-forts.

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 29, 2018, 01:21 PM:ooc: And that, I believe, is a complete Fellowship Phase. 

Over to you, Loremaster.

EDIT: Wait, curses - there's still Esgalwen's good fortune to resolve!

Actually, I will be resolving Esgalwen's good fortune in the upcoming story when you guys meet with her again.  ;)