• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Jun 01, 2024, 01:06 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Inside the Millfort

Started by tomcat, Nov 21, 2016, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we standing to fight?

Yes - bring it! (Bofri is a YES, so read this as +1)
No - see ya!

tomcat

:ooc: Esgalwen is going to make an Inspire to aid in her newfound desire to stand with Bandy.
TN 14 Inspire 2d, Noble lineage - may roll feat die twice and take better
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 6, total 12

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Holy crap! I think Esgalwen just made every one have an orgasm!!  (-D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Nov 22, 2016, 02:23 PM #17 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2016, 02:29 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast considers the Ranger's words.  In his heart, he is torn between caution and the careful husbanding of resources - and the desire to avoid the dangers that may leave his children fatherless - and the knowledge that the forces of the Shadow wax about them.  Madness has taken the Lord of the Sunstead.  The orcs of the Misty Mountains grow bolder in their raids.  The very waters of his home have turned against his people.  Perhaps it is time for the Enemy to find himself on the receiving end of an unanticipated blow - one that will force a reconsideration of his strategy of slow smothering and give hope to the folk of Wilderland. 

He raises his eyebrows and cocks his head, then likewise shines his cloak-pin.  "Where our fellowship stands, there I shall stand.  Where it falls, there I shall fall." 

:ooc: Quick question for Doug again: is the Axe of Mordinkai long-hafted?  If so, I'll gladly claim it as my share of the treasure.  If not, then I can't use it effectively.  In that case, we might make a gift of it to someone's people. 

If nobody is interested in the Stone, then Grimbeorn undoubtedly knows enough Spider-Lore to know that many of the larger beasts like to consume the light and beauty from gemstones.  We could use it as a diversion if we wind up being hard-pressed in the fort. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Nov 22, 2016, 05:23 PM #18 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2016, 05:24 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 22, 2016, 02:23 PM:ooc: Quick question for Doug again: is the Axe of Mordinkai long-hafted?  If so, I'll gladly claim it as my share of the treasure.  If not, then I can't use it effectively.  In that case, we might make a gift of it to someone's people.  

If nobody is interested in the Stone, then Grimbeorn undoubtedly knows enough Spider-Lore to know that many of the larger beasts like to consume the light and beauty from gemstones.  We could use it as a diversion if we wind up being hard-pressed in the fort.

:ooc: Yes, it is now.  ;)

Making a treasure that no one can use, and thus want, was kind of counter productive. So, I corrected the axe...not sure if Grimbeorn or Arbogast will be interested. Rorin uses a Hammer.

Esgalwen would be interested in the gem, but I do not want to take it, since she is an NPC. I figured someone else might like it - but if it is just going to be spider bait, she'd be interested.

I did update the gem, too, so that it is not so costly to make it worthwhile.

Telcontar

:ooc: i was going to see if the elves could do something similiar to my sword so I'm willing to take the gem. Maybe Rorin can set it into my sword....
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Eclecticon

As the companions discuss the wisdom of battle versus flight, Arbogast's gaze is drawn once and again to the axe lying in the stone chest.  It is a finely-wrought weapon, bearing the distinctive marks of Dwarven craftsmanship - darkened steel with a fine inlay - and a blonde-wood haft that comes of no tree that the Woodman recognises.  Like the door-hinges, it shows no sign of corruption or corrosion, and he is certain that its edge is still sharp.  Bathed in the soft light of the glowing stone, it is a tempting sight for any warrior.  

He reaches into the chest, pulling out both objects.  The stone he hands to Bandy, with the reverence due to an object of such rare beauty.  The axe he raises in his hand.  

"An no other have a claim to it, this I will bear," he nods at the Hobbit, "in defence of my kinfolk and my friends."  

:ooc:  Cheers for the clarification.  One last thing - from your description, it's a bearded axe.  I'm guessing that it doesn't have the mechanical benefit of the Woodmen's cultural reward (p 118)?  

Arbogast won't take a share of the coins and gems, so that's now a four-way split.  Enjoy, guys!

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"Now that we've had words of courage," said Grimbeorn, nodding to Esgalwen, " and fire of defiance," nodding to Bandy, "I will address the reality of our situation."

"We are in a broken down building a no small distance into the wood from refuge or aid. This place has many breaches that we'd be hard-pressed to fortify.  We could do what we can to funnel those breaches to us, but that only addresses the smaller brood.  There are larger of this kind that would remain outside waiting for us to ride or run if we be overwhelmed.  Then there is her Majesty that we just met to contend with."

"I doubt that many of you feel the same as I do about these creatures, so talk of leaving this place goes against my heart and pride, but that is the counsel I felt needed saying regardless of what our next task is."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Grimbeorn seldom spoke so many words together at once, so when he did it was important to listen to them.

"The strongest and stoutest among the folk who dwell in or near these woods have spoken. To refute their council in their own lands would be folly, but the time must come soon when stop pin pricking the enemies around us and strike a blow. The White Wizard told me over the winter that the time of a great war was drawing upon us. The wise of his order need the time and the space to marshal their strength and prepare for the coming blow. I am afraid that when the Elders of the Woodmen failed to act, then that task fell to us. For who else in the Vales of Anduin is as far traveled as we, or have seen the troubles of this land? Perhaps I am taking on too great a task or too great a weight for what it is that we can accomplish. I am not trained in the arts of war and know only the fell deeds that I have been a part of. The Hobbit in me rises to the chance to sample the renowned honey cakes of Beorn the Great, so if we are to leave then let us do so quickly before all this debate is for naught."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"We have yet to hear the counsel and thought of our guide on the path forward.  Bofri, what say you?" queried Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

All eyes turn towards Bofri, whose silence has not gone unnoticed. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: sorry for the delays - holiday and then spent rest of weekend finishing chores.

As for Bofri, he did speak up...

QuoteHis thoughts interrupted, the Dwarf turned to the conversation, "Why, yes! This could be the day - er, or night - that the Dwarf Road is once more the primary passage through Mirkwood, and those of the Shadow will fear it and the Roadwarden that keeps it!"

Eclecticon

:ooc: Not a problem - we have to make allowances for your quaint north American traditions.  :p

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: damn straight. We had to shoot guns, eat enough food for three people and trample each other for crappy sales. It's how we give thanks for being the elect nation of a diety we can no longer publicly talk about.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Indeed, the favour of Cthulhu is a wondrous and terrible thing. 

So, to recap, are we for staying or going?  Esgalwen has made a passionate plea for staying, and Bandy was all fired up to kill and kill again before Arbogast got all reasonable at him.  Arbogast is now equivocal - he can see the merits and flaws of both positions - but he won't argue against whatever the Fellowship decides.  Bofri seems to also be for staying, though his heart may not be in it to the extent that ours are. 

Rorin?  Grimbeorn?

Character sheet