• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 27, 2024, 01:40 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Folk-Moot

Started by tomcat, Jul 03, 2015, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandobras

And by Tom, I mean Doug.

tomcat

Aug 02, 2015, 02:53 PM #61 Last Edit: Aug 02, 2015, 04:09 PM by tomcat
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jul 29, 2015, 05:35 PMWould we be able to do 2 undertakings due to the extended duration of the Fellowship phase?  Grimbeorn is up for Hunting with the Woodmen and Making New Trade Routes with Caewin's People.[/color]

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jul 29, 2015, 09:16 PMSeconded.  

It makes sense to open Rhosgobel as a Sanctuary - I think we'll be spending a lot of time around here and I don't fancy schlepping all the way across Mirkwood to Lake-town any time we need to do things that can only happen in a Sanctuary.  I would also suggest picking up Radaghast as a Patron.  I seem to recall that this was a 'whole-fellowship-or-nothing' deal in the slipcase edition, but can't find any reference to this in the revised edition.  If Doug is okay with patrons being attached to particular PCs, I recommend it (though I can't do it myself - neither Arbogast's Wisdom or Standing are high enough).  

Given that some members of the company have explicitly been cast as their people's representatives at the folk-moot, we probably have to disband at some point so that they can go home and report in.  

Lastly, I'm going to nominate Bandobras as Arbogast's Fellowship Focus.  The Hobbit represents all the exoticism of far-off lands and peoples to the young Woodman, and is full of new stories and songs.  More importantly, though, his inexperience with Mirkwood is letting Arbogast see his own home and people through fresh eyes.

:ooc: Okay - here is what I am going to do. It is a bit of a stretch of the rules, but I don't think it will have any ill-effect. You guys will be able to do the two undertakings during this Fellowship Phase, and the reward that comes from the ideas presented by GandalfofBorg will be to increase each characters' standing to 1. In essence, your activities of hunting and opening new paths to the East Bight will create a new wealth of mercantile trade and thus create the treasure needed to bump your standing. By doing this, you guys will also achieve the requirements for Radagast to become your patron.

So, I am going ahead and increasing your standings and with our new Adventure Phase commencement, you guys will have Rhosgobel as a sanctuary.

[EDIT] Actually, some of the PC's did increase their Wisdom to 3, so we did meet the guidelines. Still, I am leaving my above ruling as it and giving you all 1 Standing. So you all know, I updated the PROFILER PC sheet to allow for an Advancement box and a Standing box.

ALL PC'S EXCEPT RORIN HAVE GIVEN ME THEIR LEVEL ADVANCEMENTS AND ARE UPDATED ON STAT BLOCKS AND PC SHEETS
. Also waiting on Tom's post for Mogdred, but otherwise I am bringing this thread to a close.

The sun had ridden its path through the sky and was beginning to orange as the last of the clansmen cast their chits into the barrels. Ingomer stood and walked to the barrels and looking at each, tossed his own. It was done. The people had made their choice. Now it was only to count them and see for whom the decisions were made.

Each barrel was rolled away from the other and then shoved onto its side to allow the wooden chits to pour out - their clatter filling the quiet of the moot. The people all sat silently in the great circle and watched as Ingomer and Radagast - the appointed leaders - slowly counted through the many tokens. It was a slow and tedious process, but no one within the gathering stood and left, all kept their eyes to the center and only soft whispers were spoken.

Ceawin's barrel was counted and many tokens were stacked across the table, a telling sign to the moot that he and his people were probably entered amongst the ranks of the woodmen. Amaleoda's was next and her count was tallied. The majority of votes  would be needed in each circumstance for it to have passed the will of the clans. Finally, Mogdred's barrel was spilled and the chits counted. It seemed to many of the onlookers that his tokens did not need the same amount of time as his fellows.

It was done.

Ingomer looked to his son and his eyes said it all. For the briefest of instances, the old man wanted to deny the decision and make his son's proposal a success. He had the power. His word was all that need be said - an aye for Mogdred and he would not lose him again. Surely, with this vote his son would leave once more and Ingomer knew he would not see him again, at least not in peace. Mogdred - the man that had been raised as Ingold - knew what had been chosen without his father's words. The large armored man stood and spat, kicking the fire as he did sending a shower of sparks and embers into the burgeoning night.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 02, 2015, 02:53 PM:ooc: Okay - here is what I am going to do. It is a bit of a stretch of the rules, but I don't think it will have any ill-effect. You guys will be able to do the two undertakings during this Fellowship Phase, and the reward that comes from the ideas presented by GandalfofBorg will be to increase each characters' standing to 1. In essence, your activities of hunting and opening new paths to the East Bight will create a new wealth of mercantile trade and thus create the treasure needed to bump your standing. By doing this, you guys will also achieve the requirements for Radagast to become your patron.

So, I am going ahead and increasing your standings and with our new Adventure Phase commencement, you guys will have Rhosgobel as a sanctuary.

:ooc: Just to be clear, does this make the establishment of new routes to the East Bight a one-off Fellowship Phase activity that we may or may not participate in, or do that and the opening of Rhosgobel as a sanctuary count as our two undertakings for this phase? 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I am sorry, Paul, I do not 100% understand the question.

I want to say yes, those would be your two undertakings, but I want to make sure I am reading your question right. Was there another undertaking you were wanting to do instead? I know Matt said something about hunting with the woodmen, but that can kind of go hand-in-hand with opening new routes.

Let me know if I am reading you right.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Oh, I'm quite happy to go with opening a sanctuary and raising Arbogast's Standing by trading with the East Bight!  I just wanted to establish whether we were locked into this, or whether other people could choose another undertaking for the second part of this fellowship phase. 

Character sheet

disench4nted

:ooc: I'll give you Rorin's advancement after work today. I keep forgetting to do it when I get home.

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Aug 02, 2015, 08:31 PM:ooc: Oh, I'm quite happy to go with opening a sanctuary and raising Arbogast's Standing by trading with the East Bight!  I just wanted to establish whether we were locked into this, or whether other people could choose another undertaking for the second part of this fellowship phase. 

:ooc: Cool, Paul. I don't think you guys have to all do the same undertakings. So, feel free to individualize your Fellowship Phase posts.

Eclecticon

:ooc: That said, we definitely want a Sanctuary, so do that, people! 

Character sheet

disench4nted

Aug 04, 2015, 09:06 AM #68 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 09:10 AM by disench4nted
 :ooc:  I lied and forgot to do it again....But I've got it now!

Spend 4 experience to gain Wisdom rank 2, and save the rest. I'll take the Resilience Mastery instead of a virtue. I'll save all of my Advancement points.
Rorin would also like to get rid of his helm, he'll sell it off or just leave it in whatever armory exists at Rhosgobel. He is reluctant to let go of the protection he was used to using while fighting in Durin's army, but is starting to realize that he needs to be a bit less encumbered. (By that I mean, I finally understand the combat system a little bit better and want less fatigue ;) )

For the undertakings, Rorin will also open Rhosgobel as a sanctuary and he will also Guard the Old Ford.

Rorin :csu:

Telcontar

:ooc: sorry all, I was overcome by events. Did this post by memory, so I will correct all the proper nouns when I get a chance and I am not on my iPad.

Mogdred watched as the votes were cast and tallied by the members of the moot. He spared few glances at his father during the proceedings, but neither could Ingomer bear to look upon his son for long either. Clearly the boy who had become a man in bondage of the Necromancer was heavy on his mind.

As was tradition two men counted the votes. The current custom was that The Brown Wizard and Ingomer be the ones to do so and they proceeded to make the tally quickly.

Ingomer was the first to speak, "Assembled folk and friends, all who have desired to speak have been allowed to, the proposals have been laid before the folk and voted on.
Ceawin the Generous, your proposal to join with the Woodmen has been adopted. I recognize you as clan head and member of the Folk of Greenwood the Great.

Amoleoda, I extend greeting to you as well. The Black Taryn will be a welcome addition and source of trade and friendship for the men of the wood.

Ingold, my son who has returned out of darkness and death to us, the folk have spoken against your proposal. Long lost to me I am happy that you have returned and survived your ordeal. Perhaps our clan would consider taking the woodmen among you back into our long house."

The responses of the Ceawin and Am to the verdicts were stymied by Mogdred's retort to his father.
"Spare your filial love for Ingold, for he died many years ago upon the rack, Mogdred has no need or use for it. You have rejected my proposal, not that I am surprised by that, but that does not negate the needs of my people. We, who bore the lash and the scars of bondage, will not meekly set aside our new found freedom for a distant past that few now can recall. All of you have lived on the fridge of shadow, but we, we men of Amon Byrn existed in the very pit of darkness. Of all of you the wizard alone knows perhaps the truth of the horror of those days. But from them we breathe free again, have built a longhouse of our own and draw swords in common cause with men from far and wide. Our common bondage and freedom has united in ties stronger than blood. I will not return here, and nor will I renounce our need for peace, wives, and wealth either. We came before you as a bulwark against the shadow, you have rejected it by your vote today. Pray that when the time comes for you to ask us for help, or extend your hands in need and common cause that my war leaders are more open minded than you have been here. I assure you, that need will come. The elves will not heed you, the dwarves have redeemed what they have lost and will not come forth again, only in other men will you find succor. What collection of warriors do you have secreted away here? Or do you place your trust behind a brown robe and pigeons?"

Rhadagast rose and spoke, " Mogdred, I hear your words. I do know of the darkness that you speak of, I know it better than you yourself do. I know by sight that the blade you carried slew kin once before when the scions of Numenor made war on each other.  Be not so quick to reject your fathers love out of pride."

Mogdred spit upon the floor, "I seek no love from any here. Keep the heads of the orcs, take them as wergild for all the other sons that were lost in darkness and never redeemed. From today on their blades will be drawn in their own defense under my leadership. Let each of you look after yourselves then."

The scarred man crowned his head in the dragon helm and left the tent, his followers swept behind him in his wake.

Silence ruled the tent of the Folkmoot.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Quote from: disench4nted on Aug 04, 2015, 09:06 AM:ooc:  I lied and forgot to do it again....But I've got it now!

Spend 4 experience to gain Wisdom rank 2, and save the rest. I'll take the Resilience Mastery instead of a virtue. I'll save all of my Advancement points.
Rorin would also like to get rid of his helm, he'll sell it off or just leave it in whatever armory exists at Rhosgobel. He is reluctant to let go of the protection he was used to using while fighting in Durin's army, but is starting to realize that he needs to be a bit less encumbered. (By that I mean, I finally understand the combat system a little bit better and want less fatigue ;) )

For the undertakings, Rorin will also open Rhosgobel as a sanctuary and he will also Guard the Old Ford.

Rorin :csu:

Are you aware of pg 48 in the rules?
"Dwarf characters calculate their starting Fatigue threshold by adding up the Encumbrance ratings of all the items they are carrying, and then subtracting their favoured Heart score from the total."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

disench4nted

:ooc:  Yes I am and that is reflected on my character sheet. But with the armor I'm wearing it is unlikely that I'll ever fail a Protection test, and if I lose the helm then I can take one or two extra hits to my endurance without becoming weary.

Posterboy

Quote from: Telcontar on Aug 04, 2015, 12:46 PM...

"Ingold, my son who has returned out of darkness and death to us, the folk have spoken against your proposal. Long lost to me I am happy that you have returned and survived your ordeal. Perhaps our clan would consider taking the woodmen among you back into our long house."

The responses of the Ceawin and Am to the verdicts were stymied by Mogdred's retort to his father.
"Spare your filial love for Ingold, for he died many years ago upon the rack, Mogdred has no need or use for it. You have rejected my proposal, not that I am surprised by that, but that does not negate the needs of my people. We, who bore the lash and the scars of bondage, will not meekly set aside our new found freedom for a distant past that few now can recall. All of you have lived on the fridge of shadow, but we, we men of Amon Byrn existed in the very pit of darkness. Of all of you the wizard alone knows perhaps the truth of the horror of those days. But from them we breathe free again, have built a longhouse of our own and draw swords in common cause with men from far and wide. Our common bondage and freedom has united in ties stronger than blood. I will not return here, and nor will I renounce our need for peace, wives, and wealth either. We came before you as a bulwark against the shadow, you have rejected it by your vote today. Pray that when the time comes for you to ask us for help, or extend your hands in need and common cause that my war leaders are more open minded than you have been here. I assure you, that need will come. The elves will not heed you, the dwarves have redeemed what they have lost and will not come forth again, only in other men will you find succor. What collection of warriors do you have secreted away here? Or do you place your trust behind a brown robe and pigeons?"

Rhadagast rose and spoke, " Mogdred, I hear your words. I do know of the darkness that you speak of, I know it better than you yourself do. I know by sight that the blade you carried slew kin once before when the scions of Numenor made war on each other.  Be not so quick to reject your fathers love out of pride."

Mogdred spit upon the floor, "I seek no love from any here. Keep the heads of the orcs, take them as wergild for all the other sons that were lost in darkness and never redeemed. From today on their blades will be drawn in their own defense under my leadership. Let each of you look after yourselves then."

The scarred man crowned his head in the dragon helm and left the tent, his followers swept behind him in his wake.

Esgalwen, moved swift and silently out of the tent, following behind Mogdred and his men. As the slave-now-lord prepared to leave, Esgalwen attempted to intercept him.

"Lord Mogdred, a word please, before you leave," Esgalwen pleaded. "The folk from the South that you spoke of, can you tell me how many you found dead and describe for me what they were wearing? I fear they may have been rangers of my company, my kinsmen. Did any of them speak to you?"

:ooc:  I'll leave it here for now and move forward in the Fellowship Phase after she hears Mogdred's response.

tomcat

:ooc: I think I want to allow Tom to answer here as Mogdred, so we keep the character consistent as to how he is played, talks, etc.

If you need anything about the ranger attack by orcs, Tom, let me know. Otherwise, feel free to create off of what I gave before.

tomcat

The large woodsman turned at Esgalwen's voice. Anger filled him from the result of the Folk-moot and he at once wanted to lash out, but stopped...she was beautiful and there was something about her that demanded, if not commanded him to calm. She was of the Dúnedain, born of the blood of Westernesse and the Exiled Kingdoms - of Isildur and Anarion themselves, and Mogdred, not knowing why, deferred to her.

"My...Lady, forgive me. I fear that in my ire... I did not hear your words." She asked once more and watched as he breathed, calming himself. "The night was a flurry of swords and cries, my Lady. My horsemen and I were ranging in search of raiders and came upon the encampment being attacked. We drove our spears into the enemy, but I fear it was too late - the orcs were already plundering the fallen, and thus were caught unawares. Now that I think of them, the men of the fallen company did have your look to them, yet we did not see any other women-folk." The afternoon was quickly falling into dusk and Mogdred felt his impatience rising, "I must away from here, madame, as I find it more to my distaste with each passing moment. If you would want more information, then ride with me. I will take you to the place where they were slain - I will take you to the hill under which your people were laid to rest. We saw to it that no evil befell their remains. If any survived, I cannot speak of it."

Esgalwen was immediately filled with the desire to mount up with this man of the Tyrant's Hill and go to look upon the place where her company was slain. She had lost it when she ran into the woods and did not know how to get back, save to walk along the western eaves of Mirkwood. Alone would be dangerous, but with these men she would have no fears. The Dúnadan woman turned to look back to her new companions, those that had brought her out of the darkness of the wood, and wondered at the road she should take.