• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 11:02 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Folk-Moot

Started by tomcat, Jul 03, 2015, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The morning sun shone brightly over the small tent town. It was the mid of August and the day of the Folk-moot had come at last. The great fire ring in the center of camp had been cleared of all debris and more logs and stone blocks were added so that many could sit. In the past four weeks, the camp had swelled even more with the announcement that the moot would finally begin. Tables were also being set on the outskirts of the meeting ring, along with cook fires. Merchants with kegs of wine and beer upon wagons encircled outside of the cooks' ring and opened for business. Bandy smiled to himself as he blew the froth off of a large pint - a cup size he had never seen before.

The clansmen of Stonyford were gathering, as were those of Stonehollow. They began to fill in the outer circles of seats in no particular order, save to be among their own. The boisterous cries of the Men of Mountain Hall carried over the crowd as friends saw each other once more after the many months of waiting. Amaleoda entered the rings of seats along with her people from the Black Tarn; Fridwald with his daughter Fredao led the entourage of woodsmen into the meeting place; and finally came Ceawin with his folk, who were given the seats nearest the center, for it was a place of honor - it had been these folk of the East Bight that had made this all happen.

Ingomer and Radagast, who had been waiting for all to gather, both stood and the tall man of Woodland Hall raised a hand for silence. The noise of talking became a murmur and then naught was heard but wind and birdsong.

"WE HAVE ALL COME TO THIS PLACE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE," cried Ingomer. "BUT ONCE MORE I ASK YOUR INTENTION. DO WE CALL THIS FOLK-MOOT TO COMMENCE?"

A great shout out of "AYE!" resounded through the council ring.

Ingomer looked to Radagast and the mage nodded. With his hand still in the air, the woodman spoke, but now in a softer voice, "We have come together by request of Ceawin the Generous, and his people of the East Bight, in hopes of forming a union. An alliance of the peoples of Mirkwood to strengthen our lands and drive out forever any vestige that remains of the Shadow. It is not just the people of the woods that have come, but the men of Dorwinion and Dale; the folk of Erebor and Thranduil's realm; the folk of Beorn; and even those from as far as Gondor and across the Misty Mountains. I welcome you all and may this gathering prove a boon to all who stand here in representation of their folk!"

Again came a shout of "AYE!"

Radagast now spoke, "The purpose that Ceawin has called us is paramount to all other things, but still - we have come far and so all things will be heard and debated as needed. But," the wizard emphasized the word, "any troubles among the clans will not hinder this meeting. In fact, it is in all of our interests that these differences may be discussed and hopefully be cleared from between our peoples.

"We shall start with the folk of Mountain Hall, for they have come the farthest within the Anduin Vale."

And so the moot began - much news was told, debates were presented, and grievances entered. Ingomer controlled the meeting allowing each clan to talk in turn and reveal all that they wished to say. Notes were taken so that all points could be returned to once all clans had made their appeal.

Bandy wiped his mouth and thanked the good merchants for the ale...it was going to be a long day.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jul 03, 2015, 03:02 PM #1 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015, 03:04 PM by tomcat
:ooc:  I am going to write a few fluff posts of the clansmen's debates of grievances, but I also would welcome your PC's to speak and make a presentation as to:

A) why they came so far
B) why it is important that the tribes ally
C) feel free to add an Awe, Courtesy, Inspire, or Song to rally support to your side. TN's for these tests will range from starting 14 to 18, based on how things are going in the debates.

I will post more once I get a feel for your conversations.

Matt (Grimbeorn) is on vacation right now, and I think Posterboy (Esgalwen) is also away with business. I will fill in as needed.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast, still ill-favoured by his kinfolk, stands near the back of the circle.  His nephews and nieces, not yet of age themselves, flirt and snipe in whispers around him, largely ignoring the proceedings of the moot.  As he contemplates the horn of slightly sour southern wine in his hand (it being too warm to comfortably stare at a fire), he finds himself wondering what sort of life they will have.  Today is, without a doubt, a turning point in the history of his people, and it seems a grand opportunity for the Woodmen of Mirkwood to become something greater than they have been - to grow in strength and spread the peace and comfort of the Western Eaves throughout the southern forest. 

And yet...

And yet...

And yet, something inside him eats away at a confidence that, by rights, should be near-absolute.  Arbogast has seen the Brown Wizard observing him and his friends with a look of sombre contemplation.  Then there is the issue of the Men of Tyrant's Hill, and what ought be done about the Woodmen's possibly-hostile kin.  Shall it be axes and arrows?  And will that leave them weakened in the face of the shadow that still lies upon the forest? 

As the clansmen speak on one matter, then another, Arbogast's mind turns itself over and over, looking for answers.  Until such are to be found, he holds his tongue, minds his place, and waits. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Bandobras

Bandy watches and listens intently as the debate rolls back and forth. At times, he is reminded of hobbits who air longstanding grudges against other families over a mug of beer in the local tavern. Within the menacing confines of Mirkwood, he does not mistake the seriousness of the current situation for the entertaining carping of folks at home. 

During a pause in the oratory, Bandy stands on his seat to compensate for his puny stature. Bowing low to the elders, Ingomer and Radagast in particular, he addresses the assembly. "When I left my home west of the Misty Mountains, I had no idea that I would attend, let alone speak at, an important council of the wise. But here I find myself caught up in the events of this great forest and its people. Yet I do not believe I am here by accident. Fate drew me here, just as I believe it called to Ceawin and to many of you, and brought me into an unusual but wholesome fellowship of free people. Woodman, Beorning, Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit and Gondorian: we have worked together to kill the unnatural beast you call Bloody Muzzle and to bring Beran's murderers here for justice. We also delivered Beran's message that orcs once again lurk near Fenbridge. I do not pretend to know your history, laws, and customs, nor do I presume to dictate a course of action. I only urge that during these deliberations we focus on what unites us and to see our differences as minor compared to the evil that lurks in these woods. Our enemies thrive upon division, so we must unite to meet the greater threat with unity and purpose. Then we might drive the shadow from the forest once and for all. Recent events make Ceawin's proposed alliance propitious and timely. Lest I impose too much on your patience, I will say one thing more and then surrender the floor to others. You know best how to treat with the master of Tyrant's Hill, but I would encourage restraint until you can treat with him and exert every effort to bring him under your laws. Suddenly feeling self-conscious, Bandy returns to his seat.

:ooc: I will make a courtesy roll.
Rolled 1d12 : 7, total 7

Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 1, total 10

Bandobras

:ooc: Even though I just posted with a courtesy roll, I wanted to check a rule. I do not have the book with me, but at the beginning of an encounter, shouldn't we do an Insight test for possibility of gaining bonus dice?

tomcat

Jul 07, 2015, 10:23 AM #5 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 10:32 AM by tomcat
:ooc:  I will look into it, too, Jim. If we need to add it in after the fact, that is cool.

Stefan, you may add to the moot thread whatever you want after we have resolved how you handle the Orophin's Hunt thread.

Each clan leader, visitor, and guest was given his moment to speak. News was conveyed to all of the happenings in Mirkwood and its regions.

First came news of the Grey Pilgrim - Gandalf - and how he had been seen in the north. The news was delivered by men of Dale and Dorwinion; from the Dwarves of Erebor; and even from the Elves of Thranduil's realm though this was conveyed by the Dwarves, for no Elves were present at the moot since Orophin had left. Of Gandalf's doings even Radagast gave confirmation, for the wizard had come to Rhosgobel one eve in the last few weeks, under the cover of the stars, and left again a few days later. He had made no attempt to announce himself nor speak of his business to any others, and of this the Brown Wizard said no more.

The men of Dorwinion told tales of how one of the merchant princesses, Una, had left her court on a diplomatic errand to King Bard's court in Dale. It was said that along her way, men out of the East harried the lady and her entourage, but a detachment of Barding warriors arrived to chase the Easterlings off. Una spent the month of June in Bard's court and many women-folk smiled at how the King's eyes gleamed in captivation when he watched the princess dance.

Old stories like the tale of Balthi, rumours about the River-maidens, and of the loss of Ingomer's son in the forest was also topics of many - sometimes repeated. During these councils, Arbogast and his friends could see Ceawin's followers were everywhere, offering gifts of food, drink and gold to win obvious support for whatever their cause would be. The moot continued on with more trivial matters and woodmen of the north said that Dale-men had trespassed under the eaves of Mirkwood and cut down many trees. Included in this theft were the silver beeches, most beloved of all tress of Thranduil's folk.

The clan elders discussed trade between their houses and their allies. To this, Hartfast of Mountain Hall, who was given the floor to speak before all others, cried out in complaint of the high tolls imposed upon them by the Beornings. Grimbeorn stood and shouted back at the accusations and in defense of his father's purpose for said tolls. And so it went as each group stood and presented their clan's needs and issues - the folk of Woodmentown asked for more iron and tin; foreign merchants come to sell swords and spear-heads made by Dwarves in the north.

And on and on it went - nothing seemingly resolved, nor the primary purpose of the moot being discussed.

Next, the folk of the Black Tarn were given the floor. Amaleoda revealed that the recent years brought wonderful harvests, that the lake was alive with fish, and the pestilent fogs that sometimes blew up from the south were gone. She said that the Maiden of the Lake welcomed their presence. Amaleoda invited more of the Woodmen to come south with them to the Black Tarn, for they intended to raise a longhouse and build a larger walled settlement. Some of the Woodmen greeted this prospect with enthusiasm, and many cheers went up as the lady of the Black Tarn returned control of the moot to their leader.

Ingomer raised his hands for silence, "One not of our people – though a kin from afar – asked for this Folk-moot and he has traveled far to speak here. Come forth, Ceawin."

Bandobras pulled another mug of ale for himself and smiled. His head was not yet swimming from the heavy lager, but he felt more comfortable. "At last," he thought. "We get to the point."

Ceawin the Generous stood up moved to the center fire ring to address the crowd. "For those who do not know me," and here he addressed himself chiefly to Hartfast, "I am Ceawin, called the Generous by my kin. My people and I dwell in the East Bight of Mirkwood." There were many courteous greetings called out, but Arbogast could hear the occasional grumble of some of his fellows. His attention was called back to the center as Ceawin continued. "The lands of the East Bight have been blessed and hold many virtues – the soil is fertile and our crops grow in abundance. We must work diligently lest they go fallow and the foods spoil. Fortunately, we are close to the rich lands of Dale and Dorwinion and we make good trade with these lands.

"We are a folk of legacy for long was the East Bight the home of the Northmen of old. The fathers of Eorl the Young were born upon the fields of the East Bight and it was the chieftain, Frumgar, who led his people from there long ago to the northern reaches of the River Anduin. These Men became the Éothéod and were themselves the ancestors of the Rohirrim. It was Eorl the Young who rode south to the aid of Gondor, and was granted the wide green land of Calenardhon, now known as Rohan, as his reward for him and his people."

Again there were cheers, and again there were angered words. "Frumgar led his people away and left ye behind!" Esgalwen wondered at the infighting and the divides that still stood between these clans. Certainly they were not wide enough to keep these people from uniting? She turned her head back to the man in the center of the ring, "I have many followers and a sturdy longhouse. I ask that we be counted among the Woodmen – my people need to learn how to survive in Mirkwood. We offer friendship and wealth in exchange."

As he finished his words, a murmur and then a cry rang out from the eastern edge of the Folk-moot. All eyes turned to see as Orophin, the Silvan Elf, his travel clothes stained with mud (and blood) and torn from his travels, strode into the ring.

Bandobras

:ooc: Cool, thanks. Not sure what the TN was for the courtesy roll, but may I take an advancement point?

tomcat

:ooc: Yea, you can. Your roll was a great success and you exceeded my minimum TN 14 - almost achieved the high-end TN 18.

Bandobras

disench4nted

After Bandy spoke, Rorin saw many confused faces in the crowd. Most of these people had never laid eyes on a Hobbit and they were unsure as to how one came to be at this Moot. Even through their uncertainty though, it was clear that many saw the wisdom in Bandy's words. Rorin took a long swig from his mug and stood to help ignite the spark that Bandy had laid.

"I am Rorin, son of Barin of the the Iron Hills and of Erebor. This Hobbit, my companion, speaks wisdom and we would all do well to heed his advice. Just a few short years ago when Thorin Oakenshield came to retake the Mountain from Smaug, Dwaves, Men, and Elves stood ready to spill eachother's blood simply for the sake of greed. I know this because I was there. In some of you I see the same anger that nearly led to disaster under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain. And today, just as there was then, an enemy approaches our doorstep. Orcs driven by some evil master move to destroy the good peoples of this land. If you all band together you have a chance to purge this darkness from your lands."

:ooc: I will roll Inspire
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 3, total 9

disench4nted

:ooc: Cool! Can I get an achievement point as well?  ;D

tomcat

:ooc: Yea, go right ahead.

To cover this now - I will auto award the first achievement point for any skill use that results in a GREAT or higher result. Achievement points beyond that will be awarded based on skill result and roleplaying/party distress.

I will roll for ALL NPC's when I get home tonight and have my books to see those NPC stats that are already created.

GandalfOfBorg

Having said his piece regarding the typical slander about the tolls for the roads between the great wood and the passes of the Misty Mountains, Grimbeorn sat and listened. When it was turn to have his say, he stood once again to command the gathering.  "Orcs.  Wolves.  Spiders.  Foul creatures of all kinds my people have protected the Vale from for generations.  Our lands extending from the Carrock to the elf-road in Mirkwood, north from near to Gundabad to your lands in the south, have been under constant assault by these creatures and there is a cost associated with that protection -- my people.  With the death of the Great Goblin and breaking of the goblins in the north, attacks have been fewer but there is still a darkness eating away at us.  In a way, that has grown and encouraged those remnants of evil to be more cautious and even more savage.  People and animals seem to go missing or turn away from others in the outlying areas without a trace."  A despondent look crossed his face for a moment then he continued.  "Then I came across one of your messengers fleeing a stray band of orcs and wargs.  Rest assured they were dealt with promptly," he said, showing off a massive scar across his chest.  "My father and my people stand ready to defeat the darkness that spreads but we cannot stand alone."

:ooc:

Awe -  1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 1, total 9

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

:ooc: I think I'll wait to see what happens with the encounter before I post in here.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Is there anything we're waiting for besides the outcome of Orophin's bow-shot before this moves on?  I don't mean to be annoying or pushy, but it seems like everyone has spoken who is likely to at the moment. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet