• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 09:04 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Folk-Moot

Started by tomcat, Jul 03, 2015, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Jul 27, 2015, 09:09 PM #45 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015, 09:12 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: As regards experience points et al, I'll drop eight of my nine on an extra rank of Insight - this episode has taught Arbogast quite a bit about reading people's intentions!  I'll also use the experience points to bump both Valor and Spear up to 2. 

As a Reward, I'll take the Reinforced shield of his uncle Lafdag - his crippled leg leaves no place for him in the shieldwall, and it was always his intention to give it to Arbogast once he came of age.  I like to think it looks like this:

One last thing - nobody has taken any points out of the Fellowship pool this Adventuring phase.  We have 7 to use (1 per PC, plus 1 'cause of Bandobras' Hobbity good cheer), so I submit that everyone should be able to regain one Hope point.  Those of you who haven't spent any (I think there's one or two), do you have any objection to the rest of us drawing on your share?
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Ok, looks like I'm gonna have to refresh myself on advancements and this skill-advancement point thing.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

disench4nted

:ooc: Yup, its been a month or so since I looked at the book. Gotta remember how this works.  :P

tomcat

Jul 28, 2015, 10:06 AM #48 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 10:22 AM by tomcat
:ooc: I am reading up, too, so if there is any questions let's bounce them off each other.

I kind of want Tom to close out the Folk-moot with Mogdred's reaction to the decision, so give him some time to post. I will also be posting a closing narrative that will lead into our Fellowship phase.

Be prepared to account for your part in the party's next 15 months of aiding in the building of Amaleoda's compound and making new routes of trade to Ceawin's folk - all of this will be posted in the Fellowship Phase thread, so give me a day or so to get it sorted out.

For now, just do as Paul did above and let me know how you use your advancement. I think the use of the Fellowship pool sounds like a wise decision.

Arbogast stats  :csu:

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Bandobras

Okay, I'll use six XP to increase Bandy's wisdom from 2 to 3. As a cultural reward, I'll take Small Folk, which gives me a pary rating equal to my favoured Wits score (9) when fighting creatures larger than myslef, which I figure is just about everything. I also gain the Small trait. I will have two XP left over for the future.

I will use 6 of my 8 AP to raise my Lore skill from 1 to 2 (it is favoured so costs less) and bank the other 2 APs for later use.

Divying up the Fellowship points sounds good to me.

Thanks Tomcat. This has been a very enjoyable adventure so far.

tomcat

Quote from: Bandobras on Jul 28, 2015, 02:56 PMThanks Tomcat. This has been a very enjoyable adventure so far.

:ooc: Thanks, James! I am glad you guys are enjoying it. It is you guys that make it happen - I just set the stage.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

:ooc: I'm going to spend 4 AP to raise Orophin's Insight to 1 and 6 xp to raise his Bow skill to 3 (maybe I'll be able to hit something for a change).  Assuming my math and table reading are correct that should leave him with 2AP and 2XP to save for later.

And I'm good with spending points to raise your hope back to max.

Posterboy

:ooc:  A couple things:

1) I'm good with people using our Fellowship pool to restore their Hope points.
2) As far as undertakings go, should we attempt to "open a sanctuary" here?
3) Esgalwen will spend 6 AP to raise her Explore and Song skills up to level 2.
4) Esgelwen will spend 6 XP to raise her Wisdom to 3 and gain the "Shadow Bane" Virtue. This should leave her with 2 XP for the next fellowship phase.

Posterboy

Other fellowship phase possibilities (from the Heart of the Wild book:

1) Go Hunting with the Woodmen (pg 91)
2) Enter Wuduseld (pg 98)

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
AP: 7
With all the travelling that the companions have been doing, Grimbeorn's Travel (Favored Skill) will increase 1 -> 2.  This leaves 2 AP to carry over.

XP: 8
Even though Grimbeorn didn't fare so well in his diplomacy, he still learned more about dealing with outsiders and people as a leader than he would have just ranging across his father's lands.  His Wisdom will increase 1->2.  Grimbeorn is coming into his father's legacy of a skin-changer, gaining the Brothers to Bears virtue (Increase max Endurance by +3, add Attribute score to Perception skill at night, night sight and hearing are increased).  This leaves 4 AP to carry over.

I'd be happy to get my Hope back, thank you.

Would we be able to do 2 undertakings due to the extended duration of the Fellowship phase?  Grimbeorn is up for Hunting with the Woodmen and Making New Trade Routes with Caewin's People.

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Jul 29, 2015, 09:16 PM #55 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 09:26 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jul 29, 2015, 05:35 PM:ooc: Would we be able to do 2 undertakings due to the extended duration of the Fellowship phase? 
Seconded. 

It makes sense to open Rhosgobel as a Sanctuary - I think we'll be spending a lot of time around here and I don't fancy schlepping all the way across Mirkwood to Lake-town any time we need to do things that can only happen in a Sanctuary.  I would also suggest picking up Radaghast as a Patron.  I seem to recall that this was a 'whole-fellowship-or-nothing' deal in the slipcase edition, but can't find any reference to this in the revised edition.  If Doug is okay with patrons being attached to particular PCs, I recommend it (though I can't do it myself - neither Arbogast's Wisdom or Standing are high enough). 

Given that some members of the company have explicitly been cast as their people's representatives at the folk-moot, we probably have to disband at some point so that they can go home and report in. 

Lastly, I'm going to nominate Bandobras as Arbogast's Fellowship Focus.  The Hobbit represents all the exoticism of far-off lands and peoples to the young Woodman, and is full of new stories and songs.  More importantly, though, his inexperience with Mirkwood is letting Arbogast see his own home and people through fresh eyes. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Sorry guys I was away at a conference but will have a post up today.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc:  Hey Tom!

I look forward to Mogdred's exodus from the Folk-moot.

As for everything else guys - I love all the thoughts and back and forth player interactions (whether it be in character or out), but give me a day or so to get myself up to speed on this portion of the game and how the Fellowship phase works, along with either setting up a sanctuary or Radagast becoming your patron.

I need to find out if the undertakings are roleplayed, or is it some mechanics that we perform and you guys gain a benefit.

Sorry! I know. I should have the core rules all resolved, but I am truly learning this game in phases as we go. I have two other games (sorta  ;) ) going along with a VTT game that has been taking prep time, too. On top of this is my TKD class I take four nights a week and the Wife and Kiddos demand I spend some time with them in the real world, too! The nerve!  ;)

Anyway, I beg your patience with me. I should have my rulings up tonight or tomorrow.

On another note, I just wanted to let some of our new players know so there is not any confusion:

We have a player, Tom, that goes by Telcontar on our boards. My name is Doug, although I go by the alias Tomcat (my favorite USN jet). I have had a couple people call me Tom, which is fine - this is not to criticize. It might have been because it is short for Tomcat, but I just want to make sure you guys are addressing the person you want to be addressing.  :)

I will get my ruling post up as quickly as I can.

tomcat

Jul 30, 2015, 08:48 AM #58 Last Edit: Aug 02, 2015, 04:04 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Updating the PC character sheets and stat blocks now.

I am using the Fellowship pool to restore Hope.

Be back about the other things.

Arbogast  :csu:
Grimbeorn  :csu:
Orophin  :csu:
Bandy  :csu:
Esgalwen  :csu:

Bandobras

:ooc: No worries Tom. I think most of us are either getting up to speed or refreshing our memories on aspects of the game.

Given the length of the Fellowship Phase, I would be in favour of two undertakings.

I second Eclecticon's suggestions. Bandy would like to open Rhosgobel as a sanctuary since he so far from home and could use a Sanctuary east of the mountains. True, there is Lake Town but he hasn't been there. He would also like to cultivate Radagast as a patron. I think he is eligible as his Wisdom rose to rank 3 this Fellowship Phase.

I'd forgotten about the Fellowship Focus, but I think Bandy would reciprocate and choose Arbogast. He has not forgotten the generosity and comradeship Arbogast offered when Bandy was alone. Plus Bandy was moved by Arbogast's speech for the unity of all Woodmen, even if his pragmatism led him to vote differently. Arbogast possesses some hobbittish qualities even if he isn't chatty.