• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:46 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Tantau II

Started by tomcat, Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 12, 2011, 01:52 PM #30 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 02:30 PM by tomcat
The team had assembled on the first deck of the Aegis. Brim checked the ship's external sensor once more to verify the atmosphere beyond the closed hatch. It was viable, made up of a standard oxygen-nitrogen mix that all species on the Aegis needed to live. The size of the planetoid only allowed for so much gravitational pull, and so the air was thinner, but as long as there was no major exertions outside, they'd be fine. The crew had read that the prison itself had an atmospheric system that enhanced its interior environment, so the only difficulties would come from their crossing of the river plain. The Rodian hit the button and the Aegis' hatch slid back with a hiss and the landing ramp began to lower on its hydraulic struts.

A swirl of air raised a small cloud of dust at the base of the ramp, but it could not be determined if that was from wind or from opening the Aegis. Outside the ship it was light - not daylight, night light. The rotation of Tantau II was faster than its parent planet, and so when one side was lit with light from the sun, the other - night-side - was still illuminated by the reflected light of the gas giant. So, the inhabitants of Tantau II existed in a world of either daylight or twilight.

Walking to the base of the ramp, the companions got the first look at their surroundings. Arid was the word to describe the small planet. Yes, it had water but the world was to small to generate a dynamic system of weather and environment. It also spent three of its planetary months within the shadow of the gas giant, essentially making the planet bitter cold. Thus plants could not spread via pollenation, and the limited clouds could not carry the water very far, nor provide proper shading and dispeling of killing radiation from the Tantis star. Perhaps with some aid from terraforming engines, the planet could become more appealing, but for now, it was essentially barren. A true hell-world for any to be sent to serve a sentence and be forgotten.

Kaida looked up and was mesmorized by the vision of the gas giant planet above them. It glowed brighter than any moon she had ever seen. She scanned around her and saw that the Aegis sat atop a plateau within a massive dried out flood plain. She surmised that perhaps, in some earlier geological time, this may have been an island with the river flowing around it. The team would have to make their way down a series of steep drops and over some rocky terrain. She wondered if there was any indigenous life present, or were the people of the Republic - now the Empire - the only things to ever reside here. Looking across the river flood-plain, she could see the twinkling lights of the Imperial prison. It would take them a good three to four hours to march the distance and come to the foot of the plateau on which the prison sat. Hopefully the access tunnel that cut into the rock and made its way directly under the facility would not be barred, or inconveniently placed in the side of the plateau. Climbing down was easy... trying to climb up would not be as appealing.

"And hopefully, there's no critters out there," the noblewoman thought to herself.

:ooc: Okay... there will be a few tests that the PC's will need to perform as they make the crossing. The first will be a series of 3 climb checks (DC 10), to get down to the flood plain. Then an Endurance check (DC 12) to see how well your characters handle the crossing. I am going to roll for everyone, in case Caden is the one that comes, instead of Brim. If there are any failures, the degree of failure will determine the results based on the following:

CLIMB checks (x3)
Nat 1 = disastrous failure and will cause the PC to fall doing 4d6 damage and reduced 3 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent (a pulled hamstring, achilles, whatever) and will need minor surgery, or at least a number days rest equal to 1/4 of the PC's CON.

Failed by 5 or more = Complete failure and will cause the PC to fall doing 3d6 damage and reduced 2 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent (a pulled hamstring, achilles, whatever) and will need a number hours rest (or easy movement) equal to 1/4 of the PC's CON - once passed, the PC can reduce the condition as normal.

Failed by 5 or less = Failure and will cause the PC to fall doing 2d6 damage and reduced 1 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent (a pulled hamstring, achilles, whatever) and will need 1 hour rest (or easy movement) - once passed, the PC can reduce the condition as normal.

The effects of the three Climb checks will stack.

ENDURANCE check (x1)
Nat 1 = disastrous failure and will cause the PC to be weary from the travel and reduced 3 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent and will require a number hours of rest equal to 1/2 of the PC's CON; once rested the condition is removed

Failed by 5 or more = Complete failure and will cause the PC to be weary from the travel and reduced 2 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent and will require a number hours of rest equal to 1/4 of the PC's CON; once rested the condition is removed

Failed by 5 or less = failure and will cause the PC to be weary from the travel and reduced 1 steps on the condition track; the condition will be persistent and will require one hour of rest; once rested the condition is removed

The effects of the Endurance check will stack with those effects from the climbing.

My next post will be everyones check rolls (doing them for you all to expedite).

Also, I have restored everyones character to their maximum hit points.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I modified the DC of the climb test after seeing everyones Climb skills!  ':}

Brim
DC 10 Climb +14
-------------------------
climb1 1d20+14 : 14 + 14, total 28

climb 2 1d20+14 : 11 + 14, total 25

climb 3 1d20+14 : 4 + 14, total 18

DC 12 Endurance +10
endurance 1d20+10 : 20 + 10, total 30

Britton
DC 10 Climb +6
climb1 1d20+6 : 5 + 6, total 11

climb 2 1d20+6 : 4 + 6, total 10

climb 3 1d20+6 : 7 + 6, total 13

DC 12 Endurance +10
endurance 1d20+10 : 7 + 10, total 17

Caden
DC 10 Climb +4
climb1 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15

climb 2 1d20+4 : 17 + 4, total 21

climb 3 1d20+4 : 6 + 4, total 10

DC 12 Endurance +4
endurance 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5

Kaida
DC 10 Climb +3
climb1 1d20+3 : 13 + 3, total 16

climb 2 1d20+3 : 13 + 3, total 16

climb 3 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20

DC 12 Endurance +4
endurance 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18

Kara
DC 10 Climb +2
climb1 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21

climb 2 1d20+2 : 1 + 2, total 3

climb 3 1d20+2 : 9 + 2, total 11

DC 12 Endurance +10
endurance 1d20+10 : 7 + 10, total 17

Logar
DC 10 Climb +5
climb1 1d20+5 : 7 + 5, total 12

climb 2 1d20+5 : 8 + 5, total 13

climb 3 1d20+5 : 18 + 5, total 23

DC 12 Endurance +3
endurance 1d20+3 : 8 + 3, total 11

Sam
DC 10 Climb +3
climb1 1d20+3 : 7 + 3, total 10

climb 2 1d20+3 : 20 + 3, total 23

climb 3 1d20+3 : 7 + 3, total 10

DC 12 Endurance +3
endurance 1d20+3 : 20 + 3, total 23

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Okay the results are in:

Brim is fine (if he goes)

Britton is fine

Caden is reduced 3 steps on condition track (-5 to all actions) for disastrous fail of Endurance - needs to rest 6 hours to remove the condition (if he goes)

Kaida is fine

Kara had a disastrous failure on Climb check 2 and fell; damage is rolled below and she is reduced 3 steps on the condition track (-5 to all actions); the condition will be persistent (a pulled hamstring, achilles, whatever) and will need minor surgery, plus 3 days rest.
Kara's damage 4d6 : 1, 1, 6, 4, total 12

Logar had a failure on his Endurance check and is reduced 1 step on the condition track (-1 to all actions); the condition will be persistent and will require one hour of rest

Sam is fine

Telcontar

Britton cursed, not even away from the ship and his attack force was waylaid by the climb out of the ship. He looked around and assessed the casualties looked to Logar and sighed. Then he saw Kara fall past him and hit the ground below. He hurried down as fast as he could without running the risk of falling himself.

"Kara are you okay?" He looked her over to see if there was any major damage and cursed under his breath. He looked over at the Captain that was equally out of breath, "She has to go back to the ship, she won't make the overland march."  Britton cursed inside his head again, this mission so far was ill omened. He saw Kara come down and knew that she was counting on him, well had said so at least.

"Next time we need to add rope to our daring escapade packing list. We need to get Kara back to the ship and we cant take a lot of time doing it." He assessed those around him and realized that he lucked out on the climb down. The plan ran through his head again and pondered what the next course of action was to be.

"We cant take her like this, we gotta get her back to the ship."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Logan can spend a force point if he wants.

Kara can still get about, she is just gonna be hurting.

You guys do have rope - I factored that into the DC.

Telcontar

:ooc: oh great.....awesome.. need better rope.  >:D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Feb 12, 2011, 06:44 PM #36 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 06:54 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Truth is, no one failed normal rolls by enough that a Force point wouldn't fix it - it was the Natural 1's that ruined it.

Of course, if Nick wants to, he can use a Destiny Point to get rid of the roll.

Jingo

:ooc: I'm assuming the climbing and endurance checks are for the whole trek across to the shaft, right? Does that mean we've arrived or is this just one of the dangers we need to avoid?

Kaida knelt down beside Kara and quickly assessed her condition. She probed the wound in her leg with her deft fingers, grateful her friend hadn't suffered any major damage in the fall. Even so, she could tell from Kara's grimace that she was experiencing a good bit of pain and wondered how this would affect Kara's performance in the mission ahead.

She looked up at Britton. "I don't think going back to the ship is a good option. It's going to be just as dangerous going back, probably more so if she's hurt. I think we should proceed with the mission. I'll do what I can here, she'll be able to move still, though will be in some pain until we can address this with the surgical equipment on the ship."

She patted Kara's shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll be fine."

Pulling out the small medpac, she began administering first aid.

:ooc: She will take a 20 if that's possible (the rules seem to indicate it is and since there's no possibility of failure since I'm using a medpac and I have plenty of time). If so, her Treat Injury total will be 20+14 = 34 and should heal any damage she took--though the persistent condition will remain. If I try to heal damage without a med kit, that's when there's a possibility of failure.

But here's my roll if you want to use that instead.
Treat Injury:
Rolled 1d20+14 : 7 + 14, total 21

donimator

Sam watched their perimeter as Kara was attended to. Not an auspicous start and one more parameter to factor into this mission equation. Nevertheless, Sam was beginning to enjoy himself. He dug up some long-buried programming and the thrill of being the hunter instead of the hunted returned some spring to his step.

Callowmoryne

Logar was winded from the climb. Hopefully they'd get a chance to rest when they reached the tunnels. He took a cue from Sam and watched the rocks around them while Kara was being tended too. "Is she gonna make it, or do we split up, and someone takes her back to the ship?"

Telcontar

"We cant afford to leave two people here and one on the ship. Once we go up that tunnel we need to be ready to kick the mission off should that be required."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

watanabe

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
:ooc: Truth is, no one failed normal rolls by enough that a Force point wouldn't fix it - it was the Natural 1's that ruined it.

Of course, if Nick wants to, he can use a Destiny Point to get rid of the roll.

:ooc:

Not sure I can really use a destiny point for this damage... acting out of turn doesn't stop me from taking damage, though I should be able to interrupt the attack... (but it will still get made).

Question I have is, was an attack rolled against my fortitude defense as per p.255 of the core rulebook for falling?  Though I have no chance of not being hit (its a 1d20+20 attack on fort, and there are no "critical misses on attacks rolled as 1 in saga edition, thus making it a for sure thing I take fall damage), I can use a destiny point in this case to negate the damage.  If that is the case I will use a destiny point to negate all damage.  If that is okay, I'll update with a post.

Callowmoryne

Logar smiled at Britton, the man was right as usual. "then we should move as soon as she's able. We've got no timetable so if we find a secure place in that tunnel let's rest, I'm a bit winded myself."

Telcontar

Britton nodded, "Kara can you walk on it? If so we need to get going, but if we do we will probably be spending the rest of the day somewhere in the tunnel instead of coming back this way during the day." Britton looked around and at the day light that was coming upon them. He doubted that there were any patrols out here but the guards may do some half assed cursory search around the prison itself and they might observe them crossing the velt. He was worried about complication if only a small party went to the tunnel alone or if they team was compromised they would have to assault immediately.

"Ok we hole up here for a bit and take a breather. Then we will make a push across this velt to the tunnel. Ground evacuation is going to be rough so the ship is going to need to come out of hiding and pick us up either out here or at the prison when the time comes."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: A couple clarifications...

John - just so you know, you can spend a Force Point if you want to. Every PC gets a number of Force Points per level that you can spend (one on an action) to effect the roll. You get to roll a D6 and add that to your test result. So, if you want to eliminate the weariness condition for now you can. Of course, an hours rest is not a big deal and it might be worth saving the points for when you may really need them.

Nick - I read the book on Falling and missed that. I am so used to playing CODA LotR and Star Trek, that I just went ahead and designed the tests and the effects. I forget that WotC was always meticulous about defining rules. Anyway, here is the 1d20+20 check against your Fortitude as an attack... thus the Destiny point can be used if you want too. We'll keep the posts as they stand and you can play it like Kara either recovers with Kaida's medical administrations, or that she just needed a minute to allow the tendon to rest.
Falling attack roll DC 19 1d20+20 : 17 + 20, total 37

I haven't heard from Shawn, so I am going with Brim in the party. He has a better set of combat mods, anyway. Once Shawn is back, he'll have stuff to do at the ship... so...

Jared - your assumption is correct. The climb tests were to determine the safety of the party members descending from the plateau. The Endurance test was how they each fared after the climb and the march across the flood plain to the prison. So the results will state how you guys feel when you get to the tunnel. You guys know the results in advance, of course, and can use the info in your narratives/dialogues to tell how your PC's are feeling/faring.

Also, if Nick decides to use the Destiny point, the medpac will not be expensed from your post.

Sam and Logar scanned the horizon. Small vortexes of wind swept across the barren rock spiraling dust into the air. The twilight was slowly brightening as morning appeared. The sky took on a light blue hue that was tinted, or haloed, with the oranges and reds of the gas giant's cloud patterns above. If not for the arid landscape, it would have been quite beautiful.

The droid and the soldier saw nothing moving save the wind and now the wavey pattern of heat. The traveling looked like it would now be much easier - only the flat plain with broken rock to maneuver between and around. Logar went to stand when he saw the first living thing on the planet, save themselves - a small eight-legged insect scurried across the dusty rock on its way from one hiding place to another. It was the same color as the rock on which it crawled and had a nasty looking barbed set of hooks where he assumed its mouth was. The obligatory creepy crawley shiver ran through him, but Logar quickly dismissed it and went back to his reconnaisance.

Minutes passed as Kara determined the status of her ankle.