• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 08:46 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Tantau II

Started by tomcat, Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 15, 2011, 12:21 PM #60 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2011, 04:50 PM by tomcat
"Agreed," said Brim. "But we must take care not to scatter them back into the maintenance tunnel... if anything, we want to make the tunnel the least appealing safety they will seek. So, we need to concentrate fire on the entrance of the tunnel. Blaster fire may still be discreet, but I am sure explosives will not. Yes?"

Brim suddenly flicked at the ground as one of the eight-legged, barbed insects scurried in the path where he lay. It was knocked away a couple feet, righted itself on its legs and began to go in a different direction. Above them all, the sun beat down hard, while the faint profile of Tantau colored the blue sky. The rifle made it back to Sam and the droid took one more look - through the scope he watched as two of the beasts climbed the short bit of cliff to the tunnel and disappeared into the shadows. It left only two of the creatures outside, down by the river.

:ooc: The attached map is not complete, so ignore it for now... I just needed it uploaded so I could get it at home.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Callowmoryne

"Well I am ready, if we can clear that tunnel and find some cover to hole up in we can rest before we make our assault." Logar scanned the riverbank, their intended path. He looked closely at the water, watching in case something lurked beneath the surface.

Telcontar

Britton looked through the scope and thought things through in his head.
"I dont see any other place where they could lair, so its probably the mine. If that's the case then we wont be able to scare them off. Sam can you see a point along the river bed where we can sneak up and get at a position where we can engage these things at a distance?"

Britton had already decided that the most likely avenue was through these things as fast as possible without them being around afterwards, but he refrained from saying that out loud just yet. Perhaps an answer would present itself in time.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Feb 16, 2011, 04:03 PM #63 Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011, 04:06 PM by tomcat
"I think you are right, Britton," said Brim. "We should move now, as Logar has said. Our position is tenuous with potential eyes looking at us from above, and the blasted heat will soon consume our rations."

To Britton's request, Sam scanned the area around the tunnel entrance and beyond. The river flowed off of the plateau above and cascaded down into its bed on the flood-plain. There was a cloud of mist that hung over the river not far from where the access tunnel opened in the cliff wall. There were some large boulders that would provide ample cover, but nothing that would be discreet on the approach. The river bank itself cut down into the rock some four or five feet and would provide good cover, but there was no telling how deep the river ran at its bank. The team would not be too effective swimming in to attack. The only way to do it was to move forward and get a closer look.

Logar'Dan stared at the brown water running past them and saw nothing of threat.

The Rodian spoke, "Well, since we have no solid idea of the best approach save using the riverbank, then let's use it."

:ooc: Not wanting to rush the story or character interaction, but I know John's character is ready. If everyone else is ready to move, then chime in and I will begin the move to the tunnel.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"Ok let's move out."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Jingo

"Agreed," Kaida said standing and peering down into the river and it's covering of mist. It would give good cover. "Let's move out."

:ooc: Yup. All ready. I'm going stealthily with my blaster out.

donimator

Sam kept his rifle ready as they began to move out. At any pause in progress he would re-sight the forms below to get the best information on them as possible. He didn't want to engage at long range unless they were spotted.

tomcat

:ooc: Sorry guys, I was going to post last night but sat down in front of the TV with my wife, and then got caught up in the movie Rob Roy. Anyway, here we go...

Going to roll stealth rolls for the team:
DC mutants' opposed perception Stealth mod by PC below, +2 for terrain mod
-------------------------
Brim +17+2 1d20+19 : 5 + 19, total 24

Britton +5+2 1d20+7 : 17 + 7, total 24

Kaida +11+2 1d20+13 : 9 + 13, total 22

Kara +4+2 1d20+6 : 15 + 6, total 21

Logar +6+2 1d20+8 : 18 + 8, total 26

Sam +6+2 1d20+8 : 20 + 8, total 28

Mutants' opposed Perception:
DC PCs' stealth rolls Perception +3
-------------------------
M1 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15

M2 1d20+3 : 19 + 3, total 22

Any PC score that is beaten by a mutant means that PC is detected.

watanabe

:ooc:

kara should have stayed on the ship!  (-D

I'll get back into posting this week, as I will finally have my car out of the shop, and not have to spend 2-3 hours of my day walking around to get stuff done.

donimator

But now you get to sweet talk a mutant  :P

watanabe

"Looks a bit like Britton" Kara said... and realized she might have spoken a bit too loud.

Sorry, just had to.  (-D

tomcat

:ooc: Great series of rolls! Wow! Still, Kara is detected in some manner by Mutant 2, whether by sight or scent...

The team moved in slowly, moving from rock outcroppings to boulders, and finally to the riverbank. The smell of the decayed algae that grew on the sides of the river reminded Logar of a bad batch of truvola eggs. It squished with bubbles around their boots at every step. Britton led the way as he slid down the short embankment and into the water that was knee deep where he stood. The rest of his companions followed suit and quietly slipped down into the river.

There was relief once the embankment was there to shield them, for the broken stoney ground above had been short on cover. The team made the last few yards almost imperceptably, but fortune betrayed them at last when Kara found a small sinkhole in the shallows and tripped forward, splashing water as she did. The soldiers and scout hit the bank hard, covering from view along with Sam and Kaida, but Kara was stuck out there and one of the large simian-looking mutants, closest to the river, turned its grotesque face to look at her.

Drool almost immediately ran from the fanged mouth, upon seeing the woman standing in the river shallows. The creature hoisted the mass of its muscular torso up onto two strong legs, grabbing a large piece of pipe as it did. It jumped down and splashed into the river and began to wade towards Kara.

:ooc: First, don't ask me what a truvola egg is...  ':}

Second, I am starting the encounter melee threads.