• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 05:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Tantau II

Started by tomcat, Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 PM Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011, 09:09 PM by tomcat
The Aegis dropped from hyperspace. Kara and Caden sat in the command seats and watched as the kaleidascope of light and color quickly disappeared, stars that were warped into long streaks shrank to the points of light that they were, and space returned to normal around the Loronar explorer.

Caden immediately began to perform a passive scan to see if there was any sensor system out there - be it planetary or on a starship - that might be picking up their arrival, but his screens were empty. There was different waves of energy being picked up by the Aegis' sensor globes, but they were random - star noise, magnetic signatures of planets, and various forms of radiation. But the Bestinian could see nothing that was mechanically created and scanning for the random ship that might drop from hyperspace.

Now that space was normal around them, the two could also see where they were. The light from Tantis was brilliantly reflected off the massive gas giant called Tantau. Around the planet was an asteroid ring and moons, one of which was their target - Tantau II. Caden tapped Kara on the shoulder, pointing at the large planetoid, "I am getting varied frequencies of radiation coming from the planet and from Tantau II. The latter is coming from the commo dish that is at the prison. Let's plot a course to bring us in the way we planned, with the bulk of the planetoid between us and the base."

Kara nodded and set about accelerating the ship towards Tantau using the sub-light drives.

:ooc: All right Nick, you need to get the Aegis on the planetoid without being detected... the sensor operator at the prison - his roll is below:

DC n/a Use Computer +12
-------------------------
Rolled 1d20+12 : 16 + 12, total 28

From Kara, I need a Pilot test first to see if she can maneuver the ship in from the gas giant side of the moon. The following bonus table (based on your dice results will give the following penalties or bonuses to your Stealth roll:

Result
20 = -5 modifier
25 = 0 modifier
30 = +5 modifier
35 = +10 modifier

Then an opposed Stealth test for her piloting the ship in to land. You need to add the ship's size modifier (-10), dex modifier (+2), and your piloting modifier above to your roll. The DC is the Tantau prison sensor operation roll above.

Any questions give me a shout. If you have success, please tell me where you wish to set the ship down? I am assuming you will use this designated location.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe

Kara grinned at Caden.

"Alright Captain, here goes nothing." she felt her hands loosely grab the control yoke and she began to move the Aegis towards its target point.

:ooc:

First pilot check:

Pilot +16

Rolled 1d20+16 : 11 + 16, total 27

watanabe

Kara felt her hand slip on the stick, she swore in her mind, this wasn't good, they'd probably see her.  She tightened her focus trying to get the ship into place without being detected.

Stealth +11 -10(ship size) +2 = +3

USE FORCE POINT AND PRAY!

Rolled 1d20+1 : 7 + 1, total 8

watanabe

Feb 09, 2011, 01:20 PM #3 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 01:23 PM by watanabe

Crap, I was going to use a destiny point, but it can be applied to skill rolls, hang on guys, we are about to have some fun.  Also, the plan may be out the window.  (-D

Jingo

:ooc: My opinion is that the Stealth skill would not be used in this situation. The examples in the core book all indicate it's the character's own physical ability to keep himself or herself from being noticed (also it has an Armor Check Penalty). I would say that a pilot skill would be more appropriate. That said, I don't think it'll change the outcome at all in this situation.  :|

tomcat

Caden winced as he watched the passive sensor array light up as the Aegis was bathed with electromagnetic waves, most likely from the prison facility on Tantau II. After all, there was nothing else in this system that was actively scanning. It was inevitable. The location of the planetoid in its orbit around Tantau; the location of their drop from hyperspace; the size of the ship; and their vector in towards the planet. Nothing had allowed for them to come in under the horizon, but Kara accelerated and they were now behind Tantau II, on the opposite side of the prison.

Kara wiped her forehead in frustration and dove the ship into the atmosphere. She aggressively took the Aegis to a very low altitude, called NOP - or nap-of-the-planet - hugging the terrain features to mask their approach. It would be another twenty minutes before they would be able to set the ship down.

Caden let out a sigh. There was nothing that could be done about it now. They'd have to hope for the best. He hit the ship comm, "Attention everyone... we are here. But, we were unable to come in undetected. They pinged us for sure. Once we land, we can decide what we are going to do."

The Tantau II prison, simply called T2 by those stationed there, along with other less flattering names, was said to be an end of the line post. It was the end of the line for the prisoners, that was for sure, but officers stationed there had liitle hope for much else. The troopers at least were rotated out.

What this tended to do was create an environment of indolence - jobs not being done, because nothing ever really happened. Or if done, a dispassion for the results. In other words, the Imperial Sensor Operator who was on duty that morning watched as his scanners revealed an inbound ship into the Tantis system that vectored to, or at least passed close by the small penal planet. His commanding officer was still not awake and he hated to stir him for nothing, but... it would not go well if he did not report and something happened. It would not go well if he woke up the commander. There would be a tirade for sure, and the young lieutenant really had no desire to be assigned the crap details.

He lifted his legs from the console, lowering them to the floor and pushed himself across to the HID station. He notated in the prison log the date, time and scan strength of the contact. He recorded the trajectory and possible destinations, including T2. "Probably just some frakkin' smugglers anyway," he whispered. The two stormtrooper guards that stood at their station some 10 meters away did not hear him. "This area is overrun with them... heck, they are even on this planet sometimes."

All right, Nick... one more set of tests. These tests will determine if the she can get in close to the prison without notice. The Pilot skill will be used for the same purpose as before, but the modifiers it adds are greater based on the NOP flying and all of the ground clutter.

Sensor operator at prison
DC n/a Use computer +12
-------------------------
Rolled 1d20+12 : 16 + 12, total 28

Kara will need to make a pilot test to see what her new modifier will be:

Result
20 = +10 modifier
25 = +15 modifier
30 = +20 modifier
35 = +25 modifier

Also need another Stealth test to see if you bring her in without being seen. DC will be the sensor operator's results. Same bonuses and size penalties apply. Any questions, give me a shout.

And Jared - the SW:SotG has a section on Stealth skill and piloting starships to avoid sensor contact.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe

Kara looked at Caden.  They are sure to have spotted us, I'm going to take her in as best I can.  She looked down at her hands which shook just barely, they probably wouldn't do so if she had taken a good hit. 

Pilot +16
Rolled 1d20+16 : 5 + 16, total 21

watanabe

"Frack, frack, frack, frack, frack" she continued to repeat as the ship got closer and closer to the facility.

Stealth +11 -10 (size)+10 (pilot)+2 (dex) = 13

Rolled 1d20+13 : 18 + 13, total 31
  add on a force point
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

watanabe

:ooc: boo yah, 33!  Finally something rolled right.  (-D

tomcat

:ooc: Very nice roll! I am not going to exact the Force Point, due to the roll being successful without it. So, if you have changed your sheet, change it back.

Kara had done it.

The Aegis reduced speed as it approached a huge mountain of volcanic rock, flared and came to rest on it three landing struts. Kara powered the vessel down, listening to the whine of the engines slowly fade, as her hands slowly steadied. Caden looked at her and winked, "We did it."
The two stood up from the command station and turned to head back into the ship to find their crewmates.

watanabe

Kara made a fake gun with her finger and blew on it with a grin.

"Nothing to it Captain, now go get em, I'll keep the engine running."

Callowmoryne

Logar'Dan stood waiting near the Aegis loading ramp, doublechecking his gear and fidgeting with his com link. Medpacs, grenades, Rifle, spare ammo, he was ready. "Its nearly time Kat." He was continuously adjusting some bit of gear just to keep his hands moving. Waiting for the green light.

Callowmoryne

:ooc: I know this was probably talked about and i just missed it but am i gonna need some sort of breathing aparatus, or an all temp cloak to survive this atmo?

Telcontar

Britton had not worked out all the details yet, he understood now how Sam must feel running through all the variables in his head looking for the flaws. The panic set in and his head said that the plan wasnt going to work, he swore and tightened his grip on the blaster on his hip. He looked at those around him forcing his head to clear and smiled. "lets see where the tunnel ends up then we can frag the plan from there."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: First to John, no, you won't need atmospheric stuff.

To everybody, just cause the Aegis has landed does not mean you guys have to race in on the attack. Kara landed it nice and quiet... of course, the base did detect your arrival in the system.