• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:27 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lord Mayor of Ilanin

Started by tomcat, Oct 04, 2007, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The morning came wet and gray, reflecting many of the moods around the town. Throughout the town and square, there were murmurs of the terror that had made itself known the night before and many subtle gestures pointed to the Easterlings across the river. The merchant travelers conducted business as usual and businesses opened for trade, but some people began to pack their carts to make the journey home, Ilanin having an evil feel. A great wolf-like beast had been tied up and hoisted in the central merchant square, by the soldiers of the town, and folk wondered if it was to ward off any new fell-creatures, or to show the danger that threatened the town. As yet, no official word had come from the city's Lord Mayor and residents were beginning to congregate around Uvlanin, the lord's fortified manor.

The Company had made tentative decisions - they would separate and word would be sent to Thuidmar while those that remained would seek audience with Ilanin's lord. The question was who would go and who would stay?

Harizän exited his yurt and stretched - his sinuous muscles like taut cables. His camp was already on the move, preparing to follow through with the orders given. Koskas approached with a humorless smile, "Good morning."

The Easterling grunted, "Have her taken from my tent and returned to her pen."

Koskas nodded and looked to two guards that stood close; the two moved into the tent to bring out the concubine that Harizän had taken for pleasure the night before. The sorcerer looked at his master and commented, "It seems that this one was a fighter."

Harizän looked down to the marks on his bare chest and arms and smiled at how she had bitten and scratched, "She is a warrior... she has more heart than her husband did."

The two men from the east lands laughed at the joke. Still, Harizän rubbed at the wounds that still pained him - the skin was quite red around each. The woman was brought out, her head hanging low. She had taken her fight to her captor, but still he had had his way and had made her pay for her insolence, the bruises very evident.

"Make sure she is taken care of," he laughed. "I like that one... she is a fighter!" The Easterling then took in the scene around him once more, sniffing at the air, "Make things ready Koskas... today we bring war to the plains!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil meant business with his aim to bring the Mayor off his safe perch of neutrality.  He mulled over in his head who should stay and talk and who should send the word.  Edrahil, being an elf, is light in the saddle and his elf-steed faster than any horse of man.  He also probably wouldn't sit well with the court being of the Fair Folk, they rarely do in the eyes of men these days.  Thermon was still an unknown quantity even after all the time spent with him.  Fengel, though one of a people who are natural riders and knows the terrain, would lend weight to the argument and provide testimony of his people.  Dirnhael, a good rider himself, but his horse isn't built for sprints but the slog of long journey and war.  Then there is himself.  Durgil is a good rider as well, his horse light in footfall and swift, but he also was a man well-spoken and can be a force to reckon with as a courtier.  Maybe my father's foresight wasn't as far off as I thought.  If it were up to him, he'd send Edrahil and Thermon, but still beholdened himself to the will of Dirnhael.  Even still, Durgil called the stable boy to prepare his horse as if for show and he did the same for himself.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

After a brief discussion with Durgil, he decided that the young noble's advice was sage. This was a problem of - and a discussion for - Men.
Though he would rather head off and help plan a defense, he knew that his place was here.
He would ask Edrahil and Nain to ride off. Even though the dwarf's travels were slower, Dirnhael thought he may as well get started - and besides, his stout friend was even less enamored of political talk than he was.

Durgil, of course, had to stay - he was the most experienced in such matters, and he and Dirnhael could play off one another; Dirnhael's stern demeanor serving to further soften Durgil's honeyed words. He thought that he would leave the choice to stay or go up to Fengel and Thermon each; he knew that Fengel might still be helpful in Ilanin, but his knowledge of the land, his people and his natural leadership qualities with the Eothraim might make him truly invaluable in planning his people's defense. As for Thermon, the rogue was still a mystery to Dirnhael, but two things were certain; he could read people, and he thought in... opportunistic ways that Dirnhael and Durgil most certainly did not - and in dealing with less structured villages such as Ilanin, perhaps Thermon would see something that Durgil, raised as a sophisticated and civilized young man, would not.

It seemed to him that it would be best if Fengel went with Nain and Edrahil, and Thermon stayed with the two Dunedain, but he would leave that choice to them.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Fengel was torn whether to go or to stay.  He knew that his people needed to be warned quickly but he still harbored hope that he may yet see his sister here.  Then he had a thought.  "I will stay and meet with the lord mayor as well.  Perhaps, if we are successful in acquiring his aid, we can capture Harizan's remaining troops ending his occupation of these lands.  Then if we still have his aid we could block Harizan in from behind.  There may also be some of my people yet held captive in their camp and I will not leave until I have released them."  He thought of who would be best suited to ride back with the warning.  "Who ever returns to Thuidmar must be able to make haste."  He turned to Nain with a smile, "That leaves you and your pony out my friend."

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Oct 05, 2007, 08:35 AM
Fengel was torn whether to go or to stay.  He knew that his people needed to be warned quickly but he still harbored hope that he may yet see his sister here.  Then he had a thought.  "I will stay and meet with the lord mayor as well.  Perhaps, if we are successful in acquiring his aid, we can capture Harizan's remaining troops ending his occupation of these lands.  Then if we still have his aid we could block Harizan in from behind.  There may also be some of my people yet held captive in their camp and I will not leave until I have released them."  He thought of who would be best suited to ride back with the warning.  "Who ever returns to Thuidmar must be able to make haste."  He turned to Nain with a smile, "That leaves you and your pony out my friend."

OOC: We'll be needing to make haste after meeting with the mayor, too. Wouldn't it make sense to have Nain ride back now, especially if more are staying than going?

Palandil

OOC: My thought was we would aid Ilain in the taking of the easterling camp.  So that Fengel could recover his sister and save his other kin.  Of course he doesn't have a clue whether or not there is any of his kin there.  Then if Durgil is as skilled as I hope, the Lord Mayor will follow up by closing Harizan's escape.  But I am no military tactician.

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Oct 05, 2007, 05:21 PM
OOC: My thought was we would aid Ilain in the taking of the easterling camp.  So that Fengel could recover his sister and save his other kin.  Of course he doesn't have a clue whether or not there is any of his kin there.  Then if Durgil is as skilled as I hope, the Lord Mayor will follow up by closing Harizan's escape.  But I am no military tactician.

OOC: That's fine. It's also not like Nain's an NPC. ;) He can make up his own mind!

GandalfOfBorg

Oct 06, 2007, 03:45 AM #7 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2007, 03:53 AM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: Ah putting much stock in "using our words" as my TT group would put it    hehe we usually get screwed that way LOL   Also, Tomcat, once again Durgil, though is making himself presentable, he will voluntarily reduce his Bearing to 6 (+0) with the intent of "revealing" himself at a suitable time.

"I got us into the Dwarf realm, didn't I?  But, of course, killing the trolls helped.  I will do my best to plead for your people as well as the Mayor's and make him see reason."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Edrahil listened as the Men discussed the options and readied themselves for the new day and the tasks at hand - he did not like the plan that had as yet been laid out.

"I do not like this," he said to the group. "I am certain that Durgil will have little problem discussing matters of court with the Lord Mayor of this town; nor do I think that I would have little issue with getting news quickly to Thuidmar. The problem I see is that our foe is here on the doorstep of Ilanin and it is evident that they wield dark sorceries. If I leave to deliver word to Thergas then there will be no like kind magic to stave off Koskas... or whatever it was that passed through last eve."

Edrahil added, "And forget not... t'was my duty to Círdan, prior to journeying with you, to journey to strange lands and make counsel with leaders of many people. This said, do not dismiss my ability in negotiating with Korman Palagard, the lord of this town, just because I am an Elf."

The Sindar sat quiet for a moment, "I have trouble with the path before us... I fear separation of the Company, for each of us make an integral part. Still, word must come to the Éothraim or our journey was for naught, so if I were to choose... I would say to you Durgil that with Galudir by your side, news could come best to Thuidmar. You have my counsel, I will leave it to you to decide."

Edrahil stated his last while looking towards the Men of the Company.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 07, 2007, 09:08 AM
Edrahil listened as the Men discussed the options and readied themselves for the new day and the tasks at hand - he did not like the plan that had as yet been laid out.

"I do not like this," he said to the group. "I am certain that Durgil will have little problem discussing matters of court with the Lord Mayor of this town; nor do I think that I would have little issue with getting news quickly to Thuidmar. The problem I see is that our foe is here on the doorstep of Ilanin and it is evident that they wield dark sorceries. If I leave to deliver word to Thergas then there will be no like kind magic to stave off Koskas... or whatever it was that passed through last eve."

Edrahil added, "And forget not... t'was my duty to Círdan, prior to journeying with you, to journey to strange lands and make counsel with leaders of many people. This said, do not dismiss my ability in negotiating with Korman Palagard, the lord of this town, just because I am an Elf."

The Sindar sat quiet for a moment, "I have trouble with the path before us... I fear separation of the Company, for each of us make an integral part. Still, word must come to the Éothraim or our journey was for naught, so if I were to choose... I would say to you Durgil that with Galudir by your side, news could come best to Thuidmar. You have my counsel, I will leave it to you to decide."

Edrahil stated his last while looking towards the Men of the Company.

Dirnhael pondered what was said. If it truly were up to him, he would not split the Company apart, if only because that, in his heart, he felt that the lord of this town would do nothing anyway, and they would soon be falling back to the lands of the Eothraim.

But Edrahil's counsel made him pause. After all, the Elf was his most trusted advisor, and having lived many lifetimes of Men and Dwarves combined, one would ignore his wisdom at their own peril.
He decided to leave each member of the Company's fate in their own hands, and said so.

"Though I agree with Edrahil, I will not force this decision upon any of you. You must do what your heart tells you, and do what you know is best. I have faith in each and every one of you, and if we stand or fall, we will do so in the only manner in which this Company has persevered... as free people."

Stefan

"If the mayor of this town were going to stand against the easterlings he'd have done it already.  I don't expect that you're fancy word's 'll change that."

Nain sets the base of his axe on the ground, leans against it and speaks to the group as a whole.

"If there's going to be a fight I'd be more use in it than running around the countryside.  I think we should stay together."

This time he looks specifically at Fengel.

"Is there no other way to signal the King?  Do your people not have a way to communicate with one another over long distances?"

Palandil

OOC: Well...  I don't know what kind of ways the Eothraim had to send messages.  I don't think smoke signals would work. :-[

IC: "Perhaps we could inquire with our new "friend", the merchant as to someone who could be suitable for the task?  That way our company may remain intact, for without Edrahil we would not stand much of a chance against those dark powers.  What ever the decision I fear we are running out of time."

tomcat

"This seems a wise course Fengel," thought Edrahil. "You have not forgotten the potential friends that we have met in Ilanin. We should seek Denn out... perhaps Crolm knows which room he was staying in?"

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 08, 2007, 02:47 PM
"This seems a wise course Fengel," thought Edrahil. "You have not forgotten the potential friends that we have met in Ilanin. We should seek Denn out... perhaps Crolm knows which room he was staying in?"

"Do not expect them to do such things out of the goodness of their heart," Dirnhael suggested. "I would not expect such tasks to come cheaply."

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil snorts at Dirnhael's statement.
Gwaithlim Weapons