• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:14 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lord Mayor of Ilanin

Started by tomcat, Oct 04, 2007, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan

Nain didn't bow, he just couldn't convince himself that this ploy had any chance of working and therefore had no interest in pretending to respect the man.  He understood the point of view that these easterling raiders weren't his problem, Dwarves had hidden from other peoples problems for generations under their mountains.  But if the easterlings had camped in front of their gates the dwarves would have dealt with them in no uncertain terms.  Maybe there was a little feeling of guilt for his people letting the rest of the peoples of the west fight the darkness that was building alone, but he'd never admit that, even to himself.

tomcat

Oct 19, 2007, 08:09 AM #31 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007, 02:24 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Guard's opposed Wisdom test TN 10

Wisom +0, Duty to Mayor (situational modifier to suggest he's not a pushover) +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 2,1,+2 Total:5 FAILED

The sentry looked Durgil up and down and found his case worthy. He would let them pass and the Mayor's house servants could either accept or dismiss the Company... besides, it was not often that Korman received folk of the wood and mountains. The sentry knew his master well - he would accept these guests for the novelty and prestige alone. The guard stepped aside and let them pass within Ulvanin, though he followed a few feet behind.

The interior of the fortification was well-kempt and the hired soldiers seemed professional enough. The city of Ilanin was definitely wealthy enough to keep itself.

The Company was led to the large manse and were invited inside. They were ushered into a small foyer where a servant wearing expensive looking garbs greeted them, "Your presence has been brought to the attention of the Lord Mayor and he has graciously cleared some time in his day's schedule to meet with you. Please follow me."

Durgil smiled to himself regarding all the pomp that had thus far surrounded this meeting - why the usher? Why were they first brought to the foyer? It would seem that the lord of the manor regaled himself in higher noble stance than a small plains-town would normally deserve - after all, this man was no blood of Númenor.

He most certainly wasn't.

The Company looked upon their host as they entered his hall. He was a large, soft-looking man of the flesh, though his eyes revealed a shrewdness. He was adorned in expensive clothes and baubles and there was a great spread of food laid out before him; to his left was a collection of young women that sat on comfortable pillows and waited on his beck and call.

Korman's appearance revealed him to most likely have been a merchant - probably a very successful one - for he showed no strength of arm nor deftness of hand. Still, the man was savvy enough to have risen to such a position and to surround himself with the hired hands to assure he maintained it.

"My Lord Mayor, I present you Durgil - noble of Arthedain - and his entourage," cried the usher.

Korman looked up, "Arthedain, eh? Far from home... what have we done to deserve such travelers to our humble town?" The companions could detect no hint of humility in the mayor's tone.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Oct 19, 2007, 09:36 AM #32 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007, 06:48 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael looked about the room and found the man instantly detestable. In his mind, the mayor obviously had little concerns more than keeping his belly full and his urges satiated.
He gritted his teeth and was quite pleased that he did not have to speak...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Durgil echoes your thoughts Dirnhael, opulance is hard to persuade to action.  This will take some thought.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Oct 19, 2007, 12:35 PM #34 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2007, 09:10 AM by Palandil
Fengel too was disgusted with this fat pompous man.  How could he be so unabservant to what was happening around him.  His people were just as much a contributor to his wealth as the easterlings and yet he cares not for their suffering.  It took all he had to hold back his wrath as he turns to Dirnhael with a stern look in his eyes.

GandalfOfBorg

Oct 19, 2007, 07:23 PM #35 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 09:44 AM by tomcat
Durgil took a breath, buying a moment to size up the situation and consider his words. "Lord Mayor, as you may have heard when we presented ourselves to your guard, we come on behalf of the Eothraim and it seems your people as well. We come in seek of your aid to fend off the Easterlings that have sat in glut upon your doorstep for nigh two years now ravaging the lands to the south -- your neighbors and brethren -- and revelling in their spoils. Its not just those on your borders that have felt the wrath of those of darkness, but now your holdings as well have been attacked, just yestereve even. Harizan sent a wolf-demon to do mayhem and, though vanquished at the hands of my companions and myself, it will likely not be the last of the attempts of his to sow distrust and fear for he has even greater and darker allies.  We ask that you stand for justice, to stand for peace... to stand for those who are in need and cannot do so themselves."

It wasn't just the mayor he wished to rise to the occasion, but those captains of men in the room as well. If he can't persuade the mayor to come around, maybe he could persuade someone who had his ear.

Inspire - (4+3)+5+3 Courage=15
Debate (Oratory) - (5+2)+6+2=15
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

[OOC:] Sorry for the delay... getting my brain around this upcoming battle.  ;)

Korman's Wisdom test TN 15
Wisdom +3, Wise +2, Stiff-necked and Grasping (these Flaws don't generally offera  modifier, but he is not a real compassionate guy) +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,6,1,+7 Total:20

Korman set the meat bone down that he had been working on and gingerly wiped his greasy fingers with an ornate linen. He then proceeded to slowly applaud Durgil, "Bravo my good man! You make an impassioned plea... but Ilanin is not at war with Easterling or Éothraim, nor does it attempt to meddle in their affairs."

He set down the napkin and the mayor then quickly washed down his food with a sip of wine. "Of course, this does not mean I am allied to either as well - so, I have asked that Harizän stay to his side of the river. What else can Ilanin truly do... we are a small city with limited resources. We are business men and women here not marshals of combat and there is very little return in the costs of war. Commerce is our business not war... in fact," Korman looked to Elf and Dwarf, "I would be truly appreciative should you speak to me regarding matters of trade with your folk."

The mayor's smile broadened with his last statement, warming his appearance, "Yet, I am not a man without heart - I assure you all that within Ilanin all folks' safety will be held in the highest regard, and that the Éothraim have nothing to fear from us. We will not and have not supported any actions of our neighbor.

"As far as the service you provided in destroying that awful beast that terrorized our river-front, certainly we will recompense you for doing such a great deed! What say you... 5 gold pieces for your service?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael exhaled heavily. It seems they had wasted their time, as he had feared.
The mayor was right about one thing: those in this town were merchants, not warriors.

tomcat

Oct 23, 2007, 11:30 AM #38 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 11:32 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] You are absolutely right Shawn, so you guys will want to remember this when you talk to these people. Korman is a business man through-and-through - he lives a blatant life of luxury now because of it, his position probably bought - he will relate to you guys as a business man, not a heroic warrior.

That make sense?

Just a little hint...  ;)

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 23, 2007, 11:30 AM
[OOC:] You are absolutely right Shawn, so you guys will want to remember this when you talk to these people. Korman is a business man through-and-through - he lives a blatant life of luxury now because of it, his position probably bought - he will relate to you guys as a business man, not a heroic warrior.

That make sense?

Just a little hint...  ;)

OOC: Yeah, I noticed that one early on... but I also noticed that he didn't say he wanted to trade with Fornost. ;)

GandalfOfBorg

Getting a little riled at this lack of compassion, Durgil stands to his full height, giving a withering glare to the mayor. (OOC: At this point, Durgil shall 'reveal' himself)  "Lord Mayor, by suffering these truants, these vagabonds... [Durgil almost sputters in his restrained fury] these murderers and pillagers to pass by your borders to ravage a people who neither instigated or deserved such a fate, you at best are tolerating and at worst condoning this behavior of a so-called ally.  If you were even a bit an ally to the Eothraim, it shouldn't have come this far."

"As for your concern for the business of your town... what does it say of you if you let marauders pass by to savage the lands about you?  Who would want to trade with those that might betray their own safety and security?  I know of none that would.  Honor, valor, and compassion are what will gain you loyal allies in both defense and economy.  Choose wisely and show your quality, Lord, for your neighbors and allies will judge you on your decision here this day."

Debate (Oratory) - (6+4)+6+2+3 Courage=21
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Oct 25, 2007, 06:19 AM #41 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 06:27 AM by tomcat
Korman was taken aback by the sudden change in his guest. The Dúnadan seemed to become taller and far greater in strength of will and presence that caused the eastern merchant to question his thoughts. The mayor felt he needed to explain himself to the man before him, "You do not seem to understand... we are not warriors! Never have claimed to be! We are a city of commerce and what will we gain by interfering in this little conflict - burning buildings and warehouses! Injured and killed citizens! Ilanin must pay a mighty sum itself to provide for its own protection!"

Korman was getting louder and more animated with each point, his voice beginning to squeak as he justified his stance. All the while the guards around stared at their leader and the noble before him and each felt the fires in their hearts being lit by the Dúnadan's charisma.

The mayor continued, "I would need to make an emergency summons of the Council of Trades and discuss this with my associates... but even then, what would I do to stop the tide of the Easterlings?"

Edrahil felt him before any other, as the sorcerer wove his magic*, but then the meeting between the mayor and his comanions was interrupted. A pale-faced usher quickly strolled into the hall, "Lord Mayor, forgive me sir but he did not seem to care that you were currently in a meeting."

He did not wait to be announced - nor did he wait for the mayor to consent to his entrance. Koskas, lean and tall, entered the hall moments after the usher; behind him were four Easterling warriors with sabers plainly on their belts.

Koskas smiled in faux politeness, "Forgive me Lord Mayor but my master wished that I come to thank you personally for your service thus far in the  use of barges and shoremen. We promise that we will retain the use of these floats for the next day - three at the most. Harizän will never forget such favours..."

Koskas suddenly stopped and feigned notice that the hall was full with other people, all the while his emphasis on the word 'never' hung in the air. The Easterling's eyes met Dirnhael's and the rest, and flared hatred.

"I am sorry," the sorcerer said to Durgil, "I did not mean to interrupt your discourse... please continue." Koskas made a sweeping bow and took two steps back from the dais on which Korman sat, returning the floor to Durgil.

Korman began to sweat upon his seat as he watched the danger unfold before him. In his heart, the embers that Durgil had stoked began to cool from the fear that was welling within.

Casts Evoke Fear TN 10*
Willpower +5, Charm +1, Strong-willed +2, Resolute +1 = +9
Roll(2d6)+9: 3,3,+9 Total:15

sdrotar

Oct 25, 2007, 09:06 AM #42 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 09:07 AM by sdrotar
Resist Fear roll (TN 14): Willpower +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,6 (5),+2 Total:19 - SUCCESS! OOC: Good timing there!

Dirnhael mustered every bit of his will to keep his hand from his blade.
He regretted not having those few extra moments in the moonlight at the Three Tears... but he would get another opportunity; of that he was certain.

He put a hand on Durgil's shoulder.
"This day is not ours, my brother."

Turning to Korman, he spoke firmly, drawing himself taller and keeping his back turned to Koskas; he would show no fear to the beast.

Intimidate (Power) +7
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,2,+7 Total:14 + Courage +5 (Carrying Vorandur) = 19

"You have sold out your own people - and your business partners - for little more than shiny baubles to keep you fat! Blood will be upon your hands, assuming that your new... associates... allow you to live to see that dark day. A fell moon shall ever fall on Ilanin, as each night, the howls of wolves will haunt you; reminding all who dwell here of their betrayal at the hands of their... lord." He spat the last words with conviction, then turned on his heels and left the hall, walking ever-so-close to Koskas as he did so - never looking back to see what would transpire thereafter.

tomcat

[OOC:] Great post man! And now you have given me a curse for the future of Ilanin... awesome! A haunted town of disowned people? Hmmm... what to do with this!   :>

Stefan

Resist Fear roll (TN 14): Willpower +1; Hardiness of Mind +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,6 (4),+3 Total:19 - SUCCESS!  how wierd is that.

IC: Nain, not being the Dwarf of words that is companion was, simply tightened his grip on his axe and stepped toward the sorcerer with a threatening growl before following Dirnhael out of the hall.