• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 07:43 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The City and the King of Durin's folk

Started by tomcat, Jan 12, 2007, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 12, 2007, 10:07 AM Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007, 01:15 PM by tomcat
The Company awoke the next 'morning', in two different locations, and only Nain seemed to have had a comfortable rest. The Men and Elves in the group wondered how the Dwarves tolerated the cold damp air in the place. Yet, they were only half way through the mines thus far, perhaps the city environment would be different.

The march began again along Durin's Way but this time Bori allowed for less stops and kept them moving later into the 'night'. A total of ten hours were spent in this manner, weaving through shadowed tunnels and well lit chambers, but it was apparent to all that they were on the same wide road. Occassionaly their path would slightly rise or drop deeper, but for the most part it remained level. There were new roads that would branch, or rise up or down, off of Durin's Way and there were cut stone, or great iron spirals of stairs upon which the miners would disappear. One set of stairs in particular seemed to rise up a great shaft into the shadowed torchlight, but Bori spoke nothing of where they went. The Company were not aware, but they were part of a small number of non-Dwarves that would ever behold Durin's stairs.

The second day of travel was just as exciting for Seriand and Galudir and both found that they were needed more for tending the Company's horses than anything else, as the Dwarves that led the train of ponies never once approached the treasures that they carried.

Galudir's opinion of their Dwarven companions did not change much during the day's march, for their guides were again stand-offish and silent. The rogue began to yearn for the fresh air, and if not that, at least the stifling, smoke-filled air of a tavern. Seriand's mind was of like kind, save his thoughts were of the breezes that blew through the boughs of his forest home. He wondered if the Company would make for his land once they passed through the mines of Moria*.

And thus the days passed.

With the third day's end, the Company was intrigued to see an immense change in the sculpture of the great avenue on which they strode. A great arch loomed ahead of them and the stonework was beautiful to behold. The floor of the cave became tiled and was polished. Iron-wrought lanterns hung on two metal poles on either side of the arch and stained-glass paneled each side of the luminaries, causing many-coloured rays of light to scintillate  throughout the chamber.

Bori spoke, "Behold! We have come to the entrance of the city of Khazad-dûm. We shall take rest for the night a ways ahead."

The Company also noticed a marked difference between the environment of the city as compared to the mines. A slight breeze blew through the streets and avenues of Khazad-dûm and it was warm and dry. Like the lanterns that hung at the entrance, more of the lights were strung by chains, mounted to walls, or hung by similar posts and made the way bright and clear. But even as they observed these new wondrous sights, Edrahil could see a team of Dwarves that moved down the hall. One group held long poles upon which was attached a can to fuel the lamps, while the next crew came behind and dimmed the lights with a hooked pole of their own. The city was preparing for 'night'.

Yet with the approach of evening, sounds could still be heard of quiet conversations (as too loud of a voice could echo through the halls); clatter of boots on polished tile; and Dwarven machinations working somewhere within.

Bori led the Company to another guest hall and there they found more lavish comforts, including a long table of assorted foods and a small freshly tapped keg. Cups of polished metal sat close to the tap beckoning to all.

Soon bellies were full and the companions pulled up seats next to the hearth and there they relaxed, and those that would drew long on their pipes, the whispy smoke rising to the ceiling above.

Seriand and Galudir unfortunately did not see such sites or have such comforts offered. Their road descended into the second deep along a road that was built primarily for animals and other beasts of burden. And so the two also entered into the grand city of the Dwarves but only found cold stables and smelly animals to join them in their discomfort.

OOC:

*Moria - Remember that although the Dwarves still lived in their city during this time and it was called Khazad-dûm, to the Elves of Hollin and Lothlorien it had been renamed Moria [the black chasm]. The Elves called it such due to their reproach for the Dwarves of Moria for not allowing the fleeing folk of Eregion to pass through the city when Sauron's armies came upon them in the war of the Second Age. Eregion was destroyed and many of the Elves were slain trying to escape... they have never forgotten.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jan 15, 2007, 08:18 PM #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 08:23 PM by tomcat
Day four started with a hustle of activity. Bori woke the Company after only six hours of rest and the Dwarf seemed to be rushed. He blustered as he gathered his things and helped the others gather theirs, "Word has come from the king... he wishes to see you sooner, as another pressing situation has arisen. We must be at the court by mid-day!"

So the march began again in earnest and the road that was taken descended deeper into the mountain. Dirnhael counted as each level, or Deep as referred to by Bori, passed and when seven was reached the floor leveled out. They hurried down the passageways of the seventh Deep, and listened to Bori as he instructed them in how the royal line of Durin was to be approached, greeted and spoken too. All the while, the companions marveled at how warm, lit and ornate was the royal house of Khazad-dûm.

Throughout the city, bells chimed the hour and when the one o'clock bell sounded, the Company out of Fornost entered into the antechamber of the throne room of Khazad-dûm. They waited there while Bori looked past the growing crowd of visitors and courtiers. Finally, an emissary of the court came up to the doorward and spoke softly to him - the two Dwarves often glancing at the Company. When done, Bori came back to speak to them.

"It is here that we part our ways; I must return to the West Gate. I leave you in the care of Grór." Bori gestured towards the Dwarf that he had just spoken too. "He will see to you for the remainder of your stay."

Bori said a few goodbyes, and then Grór spoke, "You may not go before the king in this manner. You will be taken to an apartment and there you shall bathe and your garments mended. It has been arranged that you see the king in the morning. Follow me."

From the antechamber, the Company was led east and were shown into a lavish apartment - carpets covered the floor and tapestries decorated the walls. Edrahil had to remind himself that he was still deep under the earth and not in some castle chamber. Along with the fine decor, the chamber also offered other ammenities and the road-weary Company quickly took advantage of both bath and sauna.

Above the royal house, Seriand and Galudir watched as the ponies were unloaded and the leather sacks were stacked within a room of great size. The Dwarf that they were with called the chamber a vault, and with the last sack in place, the door was closed and locked.

The Dwarf spoke to Seriand. "You need not worry, the vault will be secured until your entrance into the king's hall. For now, you shall be led to your companions and will be able to refresh yourselves."

And so, Galudir and Seriand finally caught up to their companions, as the group was eating, and were pleased to finally have creature comforts that were much more than a pile of straw.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

While enjoying the comforts offered by their hosts following the long walk, Edrahil could not help but feel a sense of forboding within the dwarven realm. Their hospitality was without question, but these were the descendants of Durin's folk who had barred their gates to Edrahil's elven kin so long ago, causing great suffering among his people.

The elf hoped that he and Seriand's presence among the company would not cause unnecessary difficulties for the others. The past hardships between elf and dwarf were not easily forgotten, however ... by either race.

GandalfOfBorg

Over the meal, Durgil idly wonders aloud, "Nain, what do you suppose could be the reason why the king would want to see us earlier?  What might this 'pressing business' be?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Normally he was not one for baths but the heat of the water was doing his old bones some good and it was nice to wash the mud out of his beard.  He'd been soaking for a while and his fingers and toes had gone all wrinkly but he was determined to stay a bit longer and moving a determined dwarf was easier than moving a mountain.  Of course having a lovely bearded dwarf maid to bring more hot water at his beck and call was really just icing on the cake.  Nain looks up from the bath water to respond to his companion's question. 

"I have no idea.  Tis rather rare that a King would share his business with a lowly craftsman like me.  Could be news of Trolls so near the gates or news of the treasure that we found had finallty reached him.  Might be news of our departed friend.  I'd like to think that a visit from relatives and allies from distant lands would warrent such excitement but I'm not thinking that it's any such good tidings." 

Nain couldn't help but think back to the gleam in the eye of Bori when he'd seen the treasure.

tomcat

Jan 19, 2007, 07:27 AM #5 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2007, 09:03 AM by tomcat
The next morning, the Company members all awoke feeling greatly refreshed. The saunas the night before had helped to work out aches and tired muscles from the long road that they had covered. The hospitality had certainly taken an about face compared to their first arrival and the meager chambers that they had been given within the mines, but the Company understood. The mines were as harsh an environment to these people as the empty lands of Eregion were, but here in the city there was comfort. All knew that once they left the luxuries that the Dwarves had in abundance, the road would become arduous once more. Fengel was from a proud folk but they were a simple people - there would be no such lavish accomodations when they arrived. And so, with this in mind they all took advantage of the bath and saunas again while they ate and drank from select fruits, vegetables, sweet meats, and wines.

A bell rang in the apartment followed a few moments later with the entrance of Grór, "Your presence is requested before King Bain. Leave all arms and any unecessary gear within your chambers, for no weapons are allowed within the king's hall."

The Company followed Grór from the room, into a labrynth of corridors that soon expanded into immense long halls. Great sculpted columns supported the ceilings far above and great braziers gave off light and warmth, keeping everything dry. Again the area around the king's hall was crowded and Grór pushed through, the Company members following behind. Many a Dwarf looked up to see the tall Men and Elves, and whispers were heard like wind blowing through leaves. The Company began to realize that they were the reason that so many of Moria's folk had gathered. Men and Elves were once again inside their city!

The companions strode into a high room with thick red carpets covering the floor and great images inlaid in the stone about. A high dais rose above all and atop was perched the throne of the king. An elder Dwarf, ornately dressed in gold and mithril sat in the seat and power was his to command. Another Dwarf, with a great staff and beard that hung almost to the floor, stepped from beside the throne and strode to the edge of the dias where the stairs that climbed up to meet it.

With a booming voice, gruff in the way of Dwarves, he called out through the hall, "YE MEN AND ELVES OF ERIADOR, BEHOLD YOU HAVE COME BEFORE THE THRONE OF BAIN OF THE LINE OF DURIN, FATHER OF DWARVES! FROM TIME FORGOTTEN RULE RESTS IN HIS HAND AND WITHIN THE REALM OF KHAZAD-DUM YOU ARE AT HIS MERCY! SPEAK NOW AND BESEECH HIS INTEREST!"

With that the herald stepped back and Dirnhael knew, having been instructed by Grór, that this was his cue. As company leader, he stepped before the others, onto the rich carpets, and bowed low. "Lord Bain of Khazad-dûm, I am Dirnhael, son of Ardil, Knight of Arthedain, and I am at your service, and your families! My comrades and I have traveled a great distance to bring to you, and your people, word of the death of Lûnduf of Khazad-dûm. He was a good friend and great ally, fallen in the north to the vile worm Scatha. He was sent by you into the lands of Cardolan to seek information. He aided us in a great endeavour to find a cure for a sickness that has been ailing Men. He fell, but long will he be respected and held in high regard by my king, my people, and my family! We present to you this... the axe head of your servant. It is all that remained from the fires of the dragon."

With that Nain brought forth the piece and held it out. Dirnhael nodded to the others to now make their introductions and hoped that they would remember Grór's words on the customs of Dwarves.

OOC: Do an introduction how you will, but as you do please give me a Bearing test TN 10. This will give me an idea of how Bain perceives your character's character.

Also, those that can if you would please give me an Observe (Sense Power) TN 10.

GandalfOfBorg

TN 10 Bearing - 12*+2*+2=16

"Lord Bain, mighty king of Khazad-dum," Durgil speaks as he steps forward and bows.  "I am Durgil, son of < fill in father's name >, Lord of Arthedain; I am at the service of you and your family.  Though our news of our fallen comrade be dark, his friendship and service to my lord is renowned in our land.  Many mugs and glasses continue to be lifted and songs continue to be sung in his honour -- a true testament to your people."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

OOC: Thanks for filling in for me in my absence, Tomcat!

Bearing Test (TN 10) Bearing +2
Roll(1d12)+0:11,+0 Total:11 OOC: Whew!
Total roll: 13
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Fengel stepped forward, and with a bow addressed the King.  "King Bain, it is with sorrow that we have come to your great halls.   We had taken up a great cause to find a cure for the kingdom of Arthedain, but our journey was hindered by many foul and evil servants.  And through every obstacle Lunduf proved the strength, the loyalty, the wisdom, and the kindness of the dwarven race.  He was a true friend to me and my comrades, giving his very life to defend the good from the tyranny of the evil.  And we have come to pay respect to our dear friend, and give word to his own kin of his heroic deeds in defending the free world.  Lunduf had left behind his family and home to aid the King of Arthedain, with the hope of returning to tell tales well into his old age.  I too know well his longing to return home.  I too desire to see my family once again.  And after many long months, I plan to return home.  I humbly ask you, Lord Bain, would you permit my company to travel to the other side of the mountain through your sacred halls, that I might see my family again?"  With that Fengel bowed again, and returned to the side of Dirnhael.

Bearing Test TN10
+2 Att Mod
Roll(1d12)+2: 7,+2 Total:9   I'm going to use a courage point to make this important test - 9+3=12  I marked it Tomcat.

tomcat

As each of the Company presented themselves, Bain leaned forward in his chair, his elbow on his knee and his bearded chin cradled in the cup of his palm.

OOC: Keep it up with the good rolls guys, the king is becoming intrigued. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon for all players to be able to post before Bain makes any response.

Welcome back Shawn! Glad to have you back in the game, although we have been going slow over the last couple weeks. How was France? I am assuming that is where you went from your last post. Just so you know, I am planning on running Star Trek simultaneously with our LotR campaign, so hopefully you can reprise your roles as Stonn and Ramos.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 19, 2007, 05:10 PM
As each of the Company presented themselves, Bain leaned forward in his chair, his elbow on his knee and his bearded chin cradled in the cup of his palm.

OOC: Keep it up with the good rolls guys, the king is becoming intrigued. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon for all players to be able to post before Bain makes any response.

Welcome back Shawn! Glad to have you back in the game, although we have been going slow over the last couple weeks. How was France? I am assuming that is where you went from your last post. Just so you know, I am planning on running Star Trek simultaneously with our LotR campaign, so hopefully you can reprise your roles as Stonn and Ramos.

OOC: Paris was wonderful. It was my first trip to France and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. My French was even adequate enough. ;)
That's great that the Trek game's coming back. I'm definitely ready to go.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Bearing test
Roll (1d12)+0; 8+0=8 OOC: sorry 'bout that.

Nain was a little suprised by all the pomp.  He wasnt used to the ceremony and didn't really care to have any truck with it.  It seemed like a waste of energy when one could be at the forge or in the mine doing something useful.

"Good morning your kingliness.  Lunduf was brave, no doubt.  He died savin' my life from that foul dragon.  I come all the way from the Blue Mountains.  My brother died on the way and that great dwarf saved me there too, with the help of these big folk.  I'm glad that I got to come and see the halls of Kazad'Dum, I just hope that I have time to visit the great forges before I leave."

With that he stepped back and let the rest talk about their courtly business.

BrianM

Jan 22, 2007, 11:26 AM #12 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 08:28 AM by BrianM
OOC Sorry this is a bit late ... busy weekend and no online time ...

Bearing TN 10
Bonus +3
Roll(2d6)+3: 5,6,+3 Total:14

Observe (Sense Power) TN 10
Bonus +3, The Art +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 5,2,+5 Total:12

IC

When his turn arrived Edrahil stepped forward. His bearing was proud, but he was careful not to overshadow the majesty of their host. "I am Edrahil of the realm of Lindon. I bring greetings to you, King Bain of Khazad-dum, from my master, Cirdan the Shipwright, Lord of the Grey Havens. Your hospitality to us has been most gracious, and I regret the sad news of your kin that my companions have brought to you. He was a brave warrior ... and a good friend."

OOC oops just realized I rolled 2d6 instead of 1d12 - I think it's too late to change now (after the scene with Nain) - I'll remember for future rolls - B

Wiseman

OOC: I'm going to be out of this game for a bit, not sure if / when i'll have time to get back in :(  Work has been a real bear as of late and will continue to be such for awhile I fear.  Sorry gents.

tomcat

Jan 22, 2007, 07:53 PM #14 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2007, 07:58 PM by tomcat
Quote from: WisemanOOC: I'm going to be out of this game for a bit, not sure if / when i'll have time to get back in :(  Work has been a real bear as of late and will continue to be such for awhile I fear.  Sorry gents.

OOC: Sorry to hear that Shawn. I am going to write Seriand out of the story with the Company's exit on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains - it is a good place, for he will go home to Lothlorien.

Hopefully we shall see you back here in the future.

Doug

Edrahil spoke his words, all the while sensing that there was something more to the king than what he saw. The Dwarf-lord sat high above the court and the hall around him was magnificent - surely the Dwarves had tied enchantments of protection about their liege. But it was something more... something that the mage could not pinpoint. Little did the Elf know, but before him on the finger of the king was one of the mighty rings that Celebrimbor himself had fashioned and personally given to the fathers of Dwarves, before the invading forces of Sauron destroyed Eregion and stole the remaining six (along with the nine).

Bain stood from his seat and stared down at his 'guests'. He began to stride down the stairs to the courtroom floor below. Once there, he came to stand a few feet before the Company and he looked at each of them, one at a time. The Company could see that there was wisdom upon his brow but his eyes held something else... a grasping look, as if he tried to determine what he could obtain from this meeting.

"Hmmm..." grunted the king when his eyes fell on Nain. He took the axe-head and spoke, "T'would seem that our brethren in the Blue Mountains have forgotten their manners of court. Far has the realm of Belegost fallen since its days of glory so long ago."

The king then looked to the Elves, "I welcome the Eldar to our fair city. Still are our relations strong with the Queen of the Golden Wood, though long has it been since we have spoken."

And finally, to Dirnhael and the three other men a simple message, "Welcome to the men of Eriador."

Bain turned and walked back towards his stairs, but then turned back to look at Fengel, "Thank you all for bringing your words and praise of our kin! I understand, too, that thanks must be given for your assistance in the freeing of a patrol from trolls on our western border. The road to the east is yours. You may stay with us for another day if it is your wish but when ready, the way to the east-gate will be shown to you."

The king smiled broadly and nodded, then began to climb back up to his throne. No mention did he make of the fair treasures that had been gleaned from the cave.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?