• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 04:26 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The City and the King of Durin's folk

Started by tomcat, Jan 12, 2007, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Dirnhael generally didn't care much for treasure - he usually thought it to be more trouble to carry then it was worth.
But his men deserved it - and they did owe Thermon...

He gently cleared his throat and looked to Durgil, urging him to speak if he wished to.
Dirnhael was aware of his limitations - he was a warrior, not a negotiator - perhaps the young noble (and his knowledge of royal niceties) would have more luck swaying the Dwarven king.

Personally, Dirnhael would gladly trade the treasure for safe passage through the mountain and the tour of the legendary city, but perhaps if Durgil was persuasive enough, they could have their lembas and eat it too...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil nodded in response to Dirnhael's subtle "push" forward.  Durgil knew he had to step carefully about this so as not to come off like a beggar or a thief.  "If you will excuse me m'lord," he says stepping forward and bowing again, "but there are a couple items of business we wish to attend to.  First, I have come here as an ambassador of sorts for my people.  We wish to extend to you our hand in friendship and brotherhood.  My goal is simply to open a dialogue between our realms for expanding trade relations and maybe more.  The second, you had briefly made mention of it earlier: the incident nigh the West Gate.  Upon the dispatching of the trolls with the aid of your warriors, they had in their possession a hoard of considerable worth.  This hoard contained treasures from many different peoples and different realms, including your own.  We wish to negotiate terms for dividing it equitably.  I believe you to be a king of great wisdom to see that increased relations between our people and others can only benefit all involved."

Persuade - 11*+3+3 Courage=17
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Jan 23, 2007, 05:35 AM #17 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2007, 07:07 AM by tomcat
OOC: Well, I didn't take that fault for no reason after all :)

Nain is outraged at the insult to his people and at the bare minimum of acknowledgement of this group's accomplishments.  He stews while Durgil speaks but can't contain his anger at this Dwarf who call's hiimself a King.

"Oi!  What about the treasure?  Talk about forgetting manners and then forget those that are saving yer kin's lives and bringing word of their deeds half way across the world?  I think me manners are about right where they should be!  At least I have respect enough for my kin that I know they're worth more than gold to me ya greedy bastard!  You and your bin tryin' to cheat us out of that treasure since we found it."

sdrotar

Quote from: Stefan on Jan 23, 2007, 05:35 AM
OOC: Well, I didn't take that fault for no reason after all :)

Nain is outraged at the insult to his people and at the bare minimum of acknowledgement of this group's accomplishments.  He stews while Durgil speaks but can't contain his anger at this Dwarf who call's hiimself a King.

"Oi!  What about the treasure?  Talk about forgetting manners and then forget those that are saving yer kin's lives and bringing word of their deeds half way across the world?  I think me manners are about right where they should be!  At least I have respect enough for my kin that I know they're worth more than gold to me ya greedy bastard!  You and your bin tryin' to cheat us out of that treasure since we found it."

Dirnhael cringed while hearing Nain's words. It was possible that Bori had not mentioned the treasure to the King at all in an effort to keep it himself. He did not know the situation between Nain's people and their fellow Dwarves under the mountain, but even he knew better than to speak to a king - in his realm  - like that; in any situation.

This could spiral out of control, and quickly. Dirnhael knew he would regret what he was about to do - but he saw no other option.

Drawing himself to his full height and lowering his voice to a commanding bark, Dirnhael stepped toward his aggrieved companion and thundered, "Nain! Bite your tongue! We are in the King's realm, treated as guests, and we will act accordingly!"
He looked to see the mixture of shock and anger in his friend's eyes, but Dirnhael did not cower, locking his gaze on the Dwarf whose carelessness risked them all.

Turning to King Bain, Dirnhael bowed deeply.
"My sincerest apologies, m'Lord. We have risked much, and asked nothing in return. Our voyage has been long and arduous, but such is no excuse for our comrade's outburst."

Dirnhael backed away, eyes to the ground, feeling a seething Nain's glare upon him, all the while hoping that their voyage through the mountain could somehow be salvaged.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Nain was stunned my Drinhael's rebuke.  He'd expected something from the king but not from his friend.  His anger seethed but he did hold his tongue, more in shock than anything.  He knew that his words might have gotten him in trouble but the dwarf in front of him had no right to call himself King if he couldn't do his job.  Nain fumed and sputtered, he was so mad he couldn't form words.

Nikitas

The normally glib rogue was silent throughout the exchange, silent throughout much of the journey in fact. The labor and stench of travel he was accustomed to, though even the spacious expanses of the city proper felt cramped in comparison to the familiar open sky. And now, in front of the king, he was oddly silent again. True, he was trained to speak to customers who could range from farmers to town mayors, but this lord was far out of his experience. What could he say after all? Hello, I'm with them, give me my gold?

BrianM

Edrahil stood quietly beside Seriand throughout Nain's outburst, with only a knowing glance exchanged between the two kin. The elf had thought that the discussion might deteorate in this manner, for the love of gold and treasure seemed an everlasting quality common to all dwarves. Edrahil looked to his friend Dirnhael and gave a nod of approval for his attempt to handle the situation, and he hoped that the tension could be diffused without further unpleasantries.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil is thankful for Dirnhael's handling of Nain and stands resolute to argue the party's case.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jan 25, 2007, 04:43 PM #23 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007, 05:01 PM by tomcat
Bain stood quietly for a long moment after Nain's words and the rebuke by Dirnhael - the Dwarven court around was silent too. The air had become thick with tension, enough that it could be sliced by a Dwarven axe. The king walked back down to the courtroom floor. He passed by the bowing Dirnhael and strode directly to Nain.

"Manners?" he said firmly, but in a slow, soft tone. "Forget thee not, Nain of the Blue Mountains, that it was my folk that succored Úri's house when the realms of Nogrod and Belegost were laid to ruin. Respect enough was shown to your kin, though naught was asked in repayment save to live and prosper here in Dwarrowdelf!"

The king's voice began to grow louder as he spoke, his anger coming through, "Now, you come here before me, and your company has been shown respect; have been given the amenities of my city; and I hold them all in honour for what they have done in service to one of mine! But your manner would make it seem that you have come like a beggar to my door... and thus, shall you be returned to the road... as that beggar!"

Then Bain turned to Dirnhael and Durgil, his voice was calm once more, yet stern - "The service you have given to the house of Durin shall be considered paid by the following - your passage, your accomodations, and with three gold coins for each of the dwarves you saved and returned. Do you find this settlement fair?"

OOC: Hey Stefan, you left me with a tough one here!  :-\ I still am not sure if the above reaction of the king is appropriate, but I am going to leave it as such. ;)

Nain will have to give me an opposed Willpower test against the following:
Intimidate (Majesty)
Skill +10, Specialty +2, Bearing +2, Stern Edge +2, In the king's throne room +8*
Roll(1d12)+24: 5,+24 Total:29

All other characters in the Company may give me an opposed Willpower against half the king's Intimidate roll - TN 15 (its effect will be like the Terror ability while the Company is in the throne room).

• Any Unmanned results will simply mean that the character is overcome with fealty and will beg forgiveness and offer utter deference. I will leave it in your hands as to how you want to RP any results.

*this modifier is from the inspire fear table 9.20 and I am granting it due to the Company being in the heart of the power of Khazad-dum.

Lastly, the above payment of 3 gold coins is for each dwarf saved (that was 4) and for each dead dwarf returned (that was 1) - for a total of 15 coins.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

TN 15 Willpower vs Domination - 8*+2+3 Courage = 13  (-1 penalty to tests I believe)

Seeing as our cause for the fair share won't be going so well, Durgil nodded.  "Thank you, King.  Your generosity," he says giving Nain a sideways glance, "is more than enough.  But I would like to ask a favor on behalf of the other realms of which the hoard was comprised.  Could we recover one item of note from the different realms to return to them?  I think it would go a long way in showing the benevolence and good will of your kingdom.  If there is no realm for which to return an item, I will personally return it to the throne of Khazad-dum."

Debate (Oratory) - 9*+3+2+2-1=15
Persuade (Charm) - 9*+3+2-1=13
OOC: Your choice on the skill that would be most appropriate.  I'll use any number of Courage I have left to give the best result possible.  It's a matter of honour to Durgil as the party stands to represent their peoples and those who have no voice.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

OOC: Glad to keep things interesting :)

Roll (1d12)+3; 10 +1(wp) +2 (Hardiness of Mind)=13 +9 (3 courage pts)=21 (I believe that puts him into the Panicked)

IC: Nain was still livid but the King's speech shook him to the core.  He didn't know enough about the history of their two realms to argue the point which frustrated him to no end.  He screwed up every ounce of courage he had to say his last piece and not drop to the floor and apologise for his insolence.

"I see the value that you put on the lives of your people and I'd rather be a beggar than one of your subjects."

tomcat

Jan 26, 2007, 06:45 AM #26 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 02:50 PM by tomcat
OOC: LOL!!  ;D

You're killin' me Stefan! Absolutely killin'me!  :D

I think it may be best that the Company scurry out of Khazad-dum as quickly as possible!

"BE GONE!" boomed the king's voice. "TAKE THEM FROM MY SIGHT BEFORE I FIND A HOLE DEEP IN THE MINES TO DROP THEM IN!"

Grór acted quickly by stepping forward to Dirnhael and ushering him and his comrades to the outer hall. He had not seen his king so incensed in a long time and truly feared of a reprisal from Bain, or perhaps one of his subjects.

"Come," said the Dwarf. "You will be taken quickly to your chambers to collect your items and then to the East Gate. Your horses have already been taken out and await you there. T'is a shame..."

It was a rush of movement from when they arrived at their dormitories until they at last stood on the stairs of the great East Gate - two hours having passed. Behind the Company, two grim looking Dwarves stood with long polearms crossed, blocking re-entry into the city.

Grór looked at the Company and said, "Farewell... it has been ordered that the city of Khazad-dum is closed to you. Yet, Bain will keep his word as to the fees for services rendered."

The Dwarf handed Dirnhael a small bag that contained eighteen gold pieces and then turned, climbing the stairs back into the city.

Before the Company, the land fell as the eastern Misty Mountains diminished. The massive forest of Lorien sat to the south and east, fenced in, as it was, by the mountains and a long ribbon of blue - Anduin the Great. Beyond the river lay the distant great plains of Fengel's homeland.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"A pox on the hot heads and loose tongues of Dwarves!!!"  Durgil's anger is pretty close to matching that of the king's.  "Could not have kept your mouth shut until we had passed beyond the gates?!  .... Bah!" he spouts in disgust, turning away and stomping off, not caring for whatever response Nain had to offer.

OOC: I'm afraid Durgil's even keel has been torqued a bit.
Gwaithlim Weapons

BrianM

Jan 26, 2007, 08:48 AM #28 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 08:52 AM by BrianM
Edrahil stood for a while, looking at the East Gate, then he turned away and looked upon the green lands beyond. He was not angry, but rather bemused by the fact that little seemed to ever change with the dwarven folk. The elf wondered whether their visit would cause trouble for others who sought the road beneath the mountains. In any case, Edrahil could hardly feel angry, now that he was under the sky again. The air was fresh, and the sun felt good upon his face.

The elf considered following after Durgil to calm him down. After all, Nain was still a trusted member of their company. Durgil would remember this soon enough, however, once they were away from Khazad-dum.

Looking upon Lorien he turned to Seriand. "So much for the hospitality of the dwarves. I see that your homeland is very near, friend. I would guess that a visit there would be much more amiable. I do hope that our path leads that way, if not now, sometime in the future."

OOC BTW, well done Stefan and Tomcat. That was a very entertaining scene with the king.

tomcat

Seriand turned to Edrahil and quietly said, "Aye, my homeland lies yonder and whether or not this Company comes there is for you all to decide, but for me it is the end of my road. When we come to the eaves of the forest, I will be separating from the group."

The Lorien guard then said, "You could come with me my brother. Let these Men, and this Dwarf go on their way. We have seen enough of their lands. Come find rest and refuge in the fair realm of the Lady. What say you?"

OOC: Persuade test
Skill +1
Roll(1d12)+1: 9,+1 Total:10

Brian, you can do as you please with the above test roll - i.e. roll an opposed test against it, or just RP it how you want - but I thought I'd give you a roll to show you how earnest Seriand was in his offer.