• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 04:04 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The City and the King of Durin's folk

Started by tomcat, Jan 12, 2007, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikitas

Jan 26, 2007, 07:09 PM #30 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 07:15 PM by Nikitas
Now outside the dwarven mine on the craggy root of the mountain range Galudir found his voice. "What... What happened there? We had a treasure fit for kings at our fingertips. So close, this close to leaving this brigand's life behind." Then letting his gaze fall on Nain, Galudir pointed an accusatory finger and continued, "Then you spoke." Galudir chuckled then, but more out of some madness than amusement. "And now, all gone. Well dwarf get a pickaxe and start digging because you owe me a mountain of gold!"

sdrotar

Jan 26, 2007, 08:43 PM #31 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007, 08:47 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jan 26, 2007, 08:31 AM
"A pox on the hot heads and loose tongues of Dwarves!!!"  Durgil's anger is pretty close to matching that of the king's.  "Could not have kept your mouth shut until we had passed beyond the gates?!  .... Bah!" he spouts in disgust, turning away and stomping off, not caring for whatever response Nain had to offer.

Dirnhael thought of venting his own anger, but Durgil had already said what he had wished to.
He was angry; their companion had embarrassed them - embarrassed him - and perhaps even endangered them with his lack of composure, and Dirnhael thought it might be some time before he fully trusted Nain once more to put the needs of the Company ahead of his own.

The thought saddened him, but things were what they were. He could only hope that the goodwill with the Dwarves that his friendship with Lunduf had earned was not entirely lost. He was distraught over how the occasion that he had meant to honor his departed companion had been sabotaged by simple greed. Dirnhael looked at the small sack of coins the King had granted them - to him, it was worthless.

"I'm sorry, my friend," he whispered to no one but the wind.

Dirnhael spent the next day nearer to Edrahil and Fengel, finding some solace in the company of his longtime comrades.
He gave the sack of coins to Durgil after removing his own share - he never wished to see it again. He sidled his horse up to Thermon and handed the rogue Dirnhael's portion; he cared not for it.

"It is no mountain of gold, but it is yours nevertheless. For your troubles... and your help," he said, clasping the man's hand in a warrior's grip. Dirnhael thought that for a man who claimed to do most everything for pay, Thermon's heart was not truly so cold after all.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Jan 27, 2007, 06:47 AM #32 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2007, 08:35 AM by Palandil
Fengel stood with his companions on the edge of the East Gate, his mind swirling with a mixture of feelings.  He thought of his dear friend Lunduf, and all that he did for the company, the very sacrifice of his life.  He suddenly felt angry.  Greed.  How could gold bring anyone to act in such a way.  They had risked their lives to save dwarves they didn't even know, and none of that mattered to the King or Nain, just the gold.  The gold!  He turned his head to look at Nain.  As their eyes met a flash of fire burned in Fengel's own eyes.  He couldn't control his anger any longer.  "How could you do such disrespect to our friend!" He bellowed.  Fengel pointed his finger in Nain's face, "We meant to honor our friend and all You could think of was a pile of gold! Gold!!  You have no respect for the dead.  A man who gave his life to save even you.  And you spit upon his sacrifice.  Lunduf was my friend long before I even new of your sorry existence!  And you treat him in a manner such as this!"  With that Fengel lost it.  He drew his arm back and before he had a chance to think of what he was doing, he through his fist striking Nain square in the face.

Unarmed Combat
UC +1; Nim+1; Brawl+2; Warwise+3;
Roll(1d12)+7: 5,+7 Total:12

OOC: I just wanted to let you all know I am just roleplaying Fengel here.  Stefan you are playing your character well, so I figured I should do the same. ;)

Nikitas

OCC: I just wanted to interrupt and say this stuff is great! A bit of a twist, but still Tolkien-esque, so it's really fun.

GandalfOfBorg

With slight resignation, the young Dunadan accepts the purse.  Durgil takes a moment to examine the coins bequeathed to the group.  He inspects them out of idle curiosity, noting the realms who minted them.  If there is nothing noteworthy, he'll take his share, stowing it away carefully, and passing the purse along to the others so they might do the same.  Dirnhael might have given his away, but there may be a need for it at a time unlooked for.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: I will start the next thread as soon as the squabble with Nain resolves itself. Not sure how he is going to react to Fengel punching him, so I am going to wait to see.  :-\

Tomcat
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Jan 29, 2007, 09:42 AM #36 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 09:53 AM by BrianM
Quote from: tomcat on Jan 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
The Lorien guard then said, "You could come with me my brother. Let these Men, and this Dwarf go on their way. We have seen enough of their lands. Come find rest and refuge in the fair realm of the Lady. What say you?"

OOC: Persuade test
Skill +1
Roll(1d12)+1: 9,+1 Total:10

Brian, you can do as you please with the above test roll - i.e. roll an opposed test against it, or just RP it how you want - but I thought I'd give you a roll to show you how earnest Seriand was in his offer.

[ooc]
Willpower test
Roll(1d12)+5: 12,+5 Total:17, Roll(1d6)+17: 5,+17 Total:22 Wow! I guess Edrahil definitely knows where his loyalties lie.

[ic]
The temptation was there ... Edrahil could not deny it. But he had been with his friends for too long and through too many perils to leave them now. He glanced at the group ... Dirnhael with his quiet strength ... Durgil and Fengel, whose courage defied their youth ...  and Nain, whose loyalty to the group was without question, despite the recent setback with Durin's folk. It was unfortunate that the vision of the dwarves was so often clouded by riches. The elf's gaze next fell upon the young rogue who had so recently joined their ranks ... Edrahil was still unsure where Thermon's loyalties lay. He had proven true thus far, but would still require watching.

"For many months I have been with these men and our dwarven companion. While the lure of Lorien is strong, I must refuse your offer for the present, Seriand. They are all still young ... and trouble seems to often find them without the asking. For now, my path lies with them, to help as I may."

[ooc]
This is a bit out of order. I assume the exchange between Seriand and Edrahil occurs before the altercation between Fengel and Nain. Edrahil will not initially react to the punch thrown by Fengel ... allowing things to resolve themselves instead ... unless people start getting hurt, that is :)

A question: Edrahil recognized the power about Bain. Would he realize that Bain's lust was enhanced by the ring he wore? If so, it might be argued (to Fengel) that Bain never would have recognized Lunduf's sacrifice, blinded as he was.

tomcat

Jan 29, 2007, 10:27 AM #37 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 10:37 AM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Brian, to answer your questions:

The altercation will have broken out during the dialogue between you and Seriand. So almostcomic relief, Edrahil is giving his insight as to men and dwarves and their youth, only to turn around and see a tall, blonde man going at it with fists with a squat dwarf!  ;D

I can mentally picture the exchange that Seriand and Edrahil would offer each other then!

As far as the ring and its effects - you can give me a Lore: Elves test TN 20 to see if Edrahil remembers that Celebrimbor gave unto Durin's folk a ring. Next you can give me another test TN 25 to determine if word came to Lindon via Elf lore that the rings of power imparted on the dwarves a higher perpensity (sp?) for greed and hard headedness.

The ring itself is very secretive to Durin's line, and though he was wearing it, it is invisible to those that cannot will themselves to see it. So, the power that Edrahil was perceiving, even though it was immensely powerful, could have been coming from anywhere in the room.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Jan 29, 2007, 03:08 PM #38 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 03:32 PM by tomcat
[ooc]
ok here goes ...

Lore: History (Elves) TN 20
Bonus +9, Specialty +2
Roll(1d12)+11: 5,+11 Total:16 +6 (spend 2 Courage) = 22

Second roll ... TN 25
Bonus +9, Specialty +2
Roll(1d12)+11: 5,+11 Total:16 (not worth further Courage)

So we'll say that Edrahil is aware that a Ring of Power was gifted onto Durin's line (which means it is most likely held by Bain at present), but he really has no idea what the powers or effects of the ring might be.

I think Edrahil will just watch the proceedings for now ... he too is arrogant (actually Proud -  there seems to be a lot of that going around) so he'll let them get over their petty squabbles on their own (interjecting would be somewhat beneath him)  ;D

[Edit:] Hey Brian, I edited your post - don't forget your specialty bonuses.

Stefan

Nain felt bad for his friends that they had been treated so badly by his Kin and their anger when it turned toward him was only to be expected.

In response to the newest member of the groups suggestion that he mine.

"I'm sorry that the gold is lost to us but if you thought that we'd be leaving there with more than that, no matter the fancy words bandied about, you're sadly mistaken.  It was in the eyes of the guards that were carrying the treasure and in thei eyes of their King.  I'm sad to call them kin.  They've fallen to their greed.  I was hoping that I could make them see their error but t'was not to happen this day. I only hope that someone can show them before they fall."

Nain was suprised by Fengel's delayed response.  He was upset that his friends were taking the loss so hard but he was not about to fall to fighting with them.  Fortunately Nain had fought many a drunken brawl in his day and he'd learned to take a punch or two.  This time he thought it best to shake it off, especially since he hit about as hard as a little dwarf girl.  There was remorsein his voice when he responded.

"Lunduf died saving my life.  You may have travelled with him longer than I, but can any of you say that?  I owed him a debt that none of you could even begin to understand.  I know that he was a great dwarf and should be honored and lauded near and far.  I will carry the story and his name and I will tell his story to many a dwarf.  I carried the head of his axe here to the place of his birth to lay his soul to rest.  His name and deeds will not soon be forgotten.  BUT!  Those covetous..."

Nain paused here for a moment.  He was not an eloquent dwarf and his emotions were tearing at him.  The words would not come to describe his outrage at the Dwarves of Durin's folk. A tear could be seen escaping his eye as he took a deep breath and started speaking again.

"They are not fit to call themselves dwarves and I will not sully his name by associating him with them."

This time in a slightly louder voice so that all of the company could hear him.

"I apologize for the reception that we were given by Durin's folk.  I am sorry that you had to see the worst of the Dwarves."

BrianM

Jan 30, 2007, 11:22 AM #40 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 11:30 AM by BrianM
Quote from: sdrotar on Jan 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
Dirnhael spent the next day nearer to Edrahil and Fengel, finding some solace in the company of his longtime comrades.

Once they had traveled away from the city of the dwarves, and tempers had calmed somewhat, Edrahil rode beside Dirnhael for a time. "I'm glad that our company remains true, despite the ill feelings from our visit with the dwarves. Nain showed admirable restraint after Fengel struck him ... and his words concerning the Durin's folk ... hmmm ... I sensed a great power within the throne room of King Bain. I have thoughts about it's origin, but I do not know for sure. We should not blame Nain for what happened, for our sendoff may have been exactly the same with or without his harsh words to the king. There may have been some other influence at work that we had no control over."

[ooc] Doug - it is fair to say this, based on the results of Edrahil's rolls?

tomcat

OOC: I like it Brian. If Dirnhael inquires more, feel free to add more.

Palandil

Jan 30, 2007, 12:53 PM #42 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 01:07 PM by Palandil
Quote from: Stefan on Jan 30, 2007, 05:44 AM
Nain felt bad for his friends that they had been treated so badly by his Kin and their anger when it turned toward him was only to be expected.
Nain was suprised by Fengel's delayed response.  He was upset that his friends were taking the loss so hard but he was not about to fall to fighting with them.  Fortunately Nain had fought many a drunken brawl in his day and he'd learned to take a punch or two.  This time he thought it best to shake it off, especially since he hit about as hard as a little dwarf girl.  There was remorsein his voice when he responded.

"Lunduf died saving my life.  You may have travelled with him longer than I, but can any of you say that?  I owed him a debt that none of you could even begin to understand.  I know that he was a great dwarf and should be honored and lauded near and far.  I will carry the story and his name and I will tell his story to many a dwarf.  I carried the head of his axe here to the place of his birth to lay his soul to rest.  His name and deeds will not soon be forgotten.  BUT!  Those covetous..."

Nain paused here for a moment.  He was not an eloquent dwarf and his emotions were tearing at him.  The words would not come to describe his outrage at the Dwarves of Durin's folk. A tear could be seen escaping his eye as he took a deep breath and started speaking again.

"They are not fit to call themselves dwarves and I will not sully his name by associating him with them."

This time in a slightly louder voice so that all of the company could hear him.

"I apologize for the reception that we were given by Durin's folk.  I am sorry that you had to see the worst of the Dwarves."

Fengel looked at Nain, he was surprised that the dwarf did not retaliate.  He listened to Nain, all the while his anger was still hot  The words of the dwarf were sincere though and he was apparently saddened by the lust for gold of his kin and their unkindness to he and his companions, though Fengel felt Nain was obviously of the same blood.  It took all that Fengel had to resist slugging Nain again, but with Nain's apologies, Fengel grit his teeth, shook his head and walked away.  He didn't feel bad about the incident but new that they had been through many things together and Nain may have opportunity to prove himself a friend before their road ended.

OOC: Tomcat, I tried to take off a courage point for Fengel's short tempered flaw, but I couldn't find how to save the change.

tomcat

OOC: Hey Paul, at the bottom of the character sheet will be two buttons - one to save, one to reset your changes. You need to sign in first to edit your character though.

sdrotar

There was a stunned silence after Fengel's confrontation with Nain, as the Dwarf's response was both shocking and obviously genuine. Dirnhael knew that when Men traveled, problems arose from time to time, and sometimes, a brief tussle is all that is needed to purge the frustration of the combatants. He knew so from first-hand experience; when he was younger and less worldly. While it wasn't the best way to solve problems, the fact is that it often worked, and who was he to argue with success?

"Then it is done," he said. "Let us be on our way, and save the rest of our... enthusiasm for the Orcs."

Quote from: BrianM on Jan 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
Once they had traveled away from the city of the dwarves, and tempers had calmed somewhat, Edrahil rode beside Dirnhael for a time. "I'm glad that our company remains true, despite the ill feelings from our visit with the dwarves. Nain showed admirable restraint after Fengel struck him ... and his words concerning the Durin's folk ... hmmm ... I sensed a great power within the throne room of King Bain. I have thoughts about it's origin, but I do not know for sure. We should not blame Nain for what happened, for our sendoff may have been exactly the same with or without his harsh words to the king. There may have been some other influence at work that we had no control over."

"Indeed?" Dirnhael was surprised. It fit with what Nain had said, he supposed - and Edrahil certainly knew much more about such things than he.

"Perhaps there is a reason why the Dwarves do not permit many to visit their fair city, after all," he said with slight smile.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun