• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Malastare

Started by tomcat, Sep 24, 2011, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Sep 24, 2011, 09:14 PM Last Edit: Jun 17, 2012, 01:56 PM by tomcat

The planet of Malastare was the high-gravity homeworld of the quadrupedal Dug race, within the Mid Rim. It became important long ago when the Galactic Republic established an outpost on Malastare since it was located at a key spot along the Hydian Way trade route. The planet also had an abundance of hypermatter fuel in liquid form and so became even more important to the Republic. The native Dug population living in clans became wealthy in their new found fuel business.

In 1,000 BBY, a contingent of Gran colonists settled on the planet. First contact between the Gran and the Dugs was bloody and a long, brutal war ensued. Because of the power and influence the Gran wielded in the Galactic Senate, the Republic settled the violence in the Gran's favor. Most Dugs were stripped of their wealth and state, save a few. Sebolto was one such Dug that used his power to manipulate Gran and other non-native species that lived on Malastare, to raise him to the status of self-proclaimed king. His reign began a decade prior to the start of the Clone Wars. It didn't hurt that the Bando Gora had taken an interest in Sebolto's businesses and helped to assure his supremecy. Unfortunately for Sebolto and the Bando Gora, Jango Fett had brought their alliance to an end - permanently.

Following the Clone Wars and the Great Jedi Purge, Captain Ozzik Sturn was installed as the Chief Magistrate of Malastare after the Galactic Empire took over the planet. For the Dug's, a new leader arose from the kin of Sebolto. Pugwis was his name and he once more took up the secret production of death sticks. If Sturn knew, he didn't seem to show any care - he didn't mind the little creatures minding over their own affairs.

The planet of Malastare is rich with multiple types of climate and terrain from swamps and jungles, deserts and wastelands, and mountains and forests, to rich urban expanses. It is within the urban areas that the Grans, Humans and other non-natives take up residence, leaving the Dugs to the other terrains based on their own interests.

The Aegis dropped out of hyperspace and Kara could see the rich green and blues of the planet Malastare. The atmosphere had a tinge of yellow to it, due to the high volume of methane. The space lanes were busy on the approach and she took care bringing the ship down into the atmosphere. As she piloted, Caden sat at the auxilliary flight station and listened to the radio traffic that was filling the airwaves. A voice suddenly spoke to him on his channel, "Aegis, break from your flight plan into Pixelito and track in on my beacon." There was no challenge in discerning who it was that had called. Caden knew that Fett was here, too.

He nodded at Kara and she altered her flight course allowing the ship's computer to lock in on, and fly to the beacon transmission being sent by Fett.

The ship flew towards the equator of the planet and towards a jungled, mountainous region that abutted the ocean. They dropped quickly from altitude and were soon zooming over the canopy of the jungle below. Kara could see that they were also moving up the length of a valley. Finally the Aegis flared, and came to hove over a clearing of trees. Caden hit the control for the landing struts and in moments the ship set down into the squishy mess of soft-mud and foliage. Not far away, Slave I also sat, its base partially submerged in quagmire. The bounty hunter's landing ramp was down and Fett stood upon it, watching the Aegis land.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Callowmoryne

Logar's new clone armor fit him well he thought. A dull sheen of battleship grey and maroon. When the aegis broke atmo he was already to go. A bandolier of frags, his new digs, His rifle in hand he waited at the landing ramp to disembark and scout the area. No doubt Fett had chosen a good spot. But his hands wouldn't stop shaking until he found something productive, or destructive, to channel that energy towards.

watanabe

"Ah, wonderful.  Swamp.  Right after Tatooine's sand we have to come to a swamp..." Kara shook her head.  "I have a bad feeling about this."

sdrotar

Quote from: watanabe on Sep 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
"Ah, wonderful.  Swamp.  Right after Tatooine's sand we have to come to a swamp..." Kara shook her head.  "I have a bad feeling about this."

"I know, right?" Caden asked. "Just once, I'd like to go to a temperate, pleasant planet with a pretty view..."
He thought of Bakura, which fit that description.

"Or, at least, one where not everyone's trying to kill me."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Sep 25, 2011, 07:52 PM #4 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2011, 07:54 PM by tomcat
Logar waited until the ship settled and then hit the activation controls for the landing ramp and first deck airlock. The doors slid open and he walked down the ramp as it slowly descended on its hydraulic supports. It came to rest on the ground, sinking as it did in roughly a foot of water. The soldier could immediately feel the warmth, although his new armor aided in making it less uncomfortable. Unlike Tatooine, which had also been oppressively hot, Malastare along its equator was hot as well, but also very damp. Logar appreciated the simple environmental systems in his armor, but now wished that he had looked at one of the different varieties that the Republic had created for its soldiers. Perhaps something with a full environmental system.

The air was thick and had the strong smell of life, and decay - the swampy marsh devouring up its own ecosystem as it died and began to rot within the pools of water. It was this constant growth and decay that generated the huge amounts of methane deposits underneath the planet's surface. The sound of life was also present. Hoots and clicks echoed about the valley and insects of varying sizes fluttered about, buzzing as they did.

Logar'Dan saw Boba Fett wave to him from the landing ramp of the Slave I, and then the bounty hunter stepped off his ship and began to approach the Aegis. Logar stepped out into the marsh, as well, and tested the ground underneath. It was like stepping onto a sponge, but it held his weight and there was little resistance when he lifted his feet. He was pleased to see that there was no leaking of water into his boots, which promised for dry feet and no chance of fungal rot on his flesh.

The two warriors approached one another and Logar could see that Fett was in his full regalia. There was a jetpack on his back that was currently loaded with a small missile, and along with his guantlet armament, he carried his rifle and wore a small pistol on his hip. Logar could also see a cruel looking knife, somewhat like Katherine, in a sheath strapped to Fett's right leg. The man was serious when it came to armament.

Fett pointed up the valley, "I picked up radar-tracking positions to the north some ways away, but I am sure that even if we were detected here, they would pay us little heed. We are too far away to put weapons on target, seeing as we are not capable of orbital bombardment, and only a fool would hike the miles up this valley. All that said, I am sure there will be some sentries along the way... as well as other potential threats. So, is it just you that is coming?"

It wasn't Logar that answered - Brim spoke from the landing ramp, "No... Logar'Dan is not alone."

The Rodian was dressed simply in his loose fitting clothing, but he now had donned a cloak and hood. His lightsaber hung openly from his belt on its left side, and slung low on his leg was his blaster pistol. Brim did not seem to mind the heat or humidity as he stepped down into the marsh. "All of us will be joining you except one. Our pilot will be staying with the ship."

"Suit yourself," answered Fett. "The more the merrier... besides it will make it easier to haul those." The bounty hunter pointed back to Slave I and the Aegis' crew could see there were three large packs sitting there. "Those packs are loaded with the necessary explosives to bring the production facility down."

From inside the Aegis, on the flight deck, Kara and Caden could see Logar, Brim and Boba Fett all standing in the marsh and talking. Suddenly a large insect with a wingspan of roughly three feet, bounced off the cockpit's canopy. Caden was sure he saw a mouth with two cruel, large fangs on top and one on bottom. It fluttered back up into the canopy of trees after its inadvertant impact on the ship.

Rain suddenly began to fall from the sky and added to the cacaphony of noise in the jungle as it pattered on the leaves above. The foliage acted like a huge umbrella allowing only a small amount of the rainfall to come through.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

It seemed that Kara was content to stay with the Aegis; Caden felt a twinge of concern - not that Kara wouldn't take care of it, but he hated leaving his "princess" in a place like this.
"Not a scratch," he said with a smile as he left the cockpit. "We'll keep in touch if we can."

He grabbed his pack, which contained a medical kit, glow rods, rations and other necessities. Then he tugged on his gloves and slung on his cloak before exiting into the jungle heat.

:ooc: Do I still need to do an advancement? Also, I'll be traveling this week - I still think I can post on the road, but it may be more sporadic than usual until the weekend.

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Shawn, no, you had already given me your 7th level advancement. So you are all set for this episode.

I understand the travel, so take your time. If something is urgent and I need to respond for you, I will add it - but as always, feel free to change it if it doesn't work for your PC the way you think it should.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
:ooc: Hey Shawn, no, you had already given me your 7th level advancement. So you are all set for this episode.

I understand the travel, so take your time. If something is urgent and I need to respond for you, I will add it - but as always, feel free to change it if it doesn't work for your PC the way you think it should.

:ooc: Terrific. Thanks!

tomcat

Caden walked outside and down the landing ramp. He grimaced to see the muck and mire and the thought of what it would soon do to his leather Corellian boots. Brim gestured, "The land appears to be more firm over there, Caden, and there are small outcroppings of higher ground like stones in a pond."

Farok followed after the captain with Kaida sidling behind. They both made faces from the thick humidity, but issued no other complaint. Finally Sam came from the Aegis and he tapped the control that closed the inner door lock and caused the landing ramp to rise back up - mud and water running off.

In Logar's helmet, he heard Fett's voice, "Glad you have faith in this team." He then spoke out loud, "We'll grab up the explosives and then move forward up the valley. It is about six miles to the chasm and the mountain passage. Once there, we will need to get across and then up the other side of the mountain where the productin facility sits. I hope you all have the gear you want, because I have no intention of coming back here until the job is done." Fett then looked at Sam and his long slug-throwing rifle and scope, "You good with that thing?"

The droid nodded.

"I suggest the droid takes an overwatch position behind our advances and keeps to high positions to provide sniper fire. The Rodian can take point as scout, and the rest of us fan out and keep position between the two. Any other suggestions?"

:ooc: Please list in this thread what your PC has on them from their stock of equipment and supplies from the ship, because if you don't have it listed, you guys won't have it. Be mindful of encumbrance for your character... and if you do not know what weight loads are cosidered heavy just list the items you are carrying and I will calculate it for you.

The encumbrance will not only affect the movement speed of your PC in combat, but also their Weariness. The heat and humidity, plus slogging through quagmire type terrain, and being loaded down with gear will drain your character fast. I will let you guys know when I need an Endurance test.

All maps I upload now will have alpha-numeric grids that you can tell me where you are moving to within the particular map.

sdrotar

Sep 26, 2011, 02:13 PM #9 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 07:28 PM by sdrotar
 :ooc: Items listed are taken from Caden's character page:

He'll bring combat gloves, heavy blaster pistol with 3 spare power packs, hold-out blaster, pocket scrambler, utility belt (3-day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser), all-temperature cloak, credit stick, datapad, medical kit.

That wouldn't make him a pack mule, I don't think - seems reasonably lightweight, especially for a hike.

UPDATE: Caden will take a pair of grenades that Logar is offering - or one if there's not enough to spread around evenly.

Callowmoryne

Sep 26, 2011, 02:47 PM #10 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 02:49 PM by Callowmoryne
 :ooc: I'm takin my weapons and field kit and 8 frags. And that leaves 11 for the party to divvy up, they came in really handy last time. Also any power packs  and energy cells that are listed on my sheet. 

Jingo

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
:ooc: Please list in this thread what your PC has on them from their stock of equipment and supplies from the ship, because if you don't have it listed, you guys won't have it....

:ooc: Everyone should take at least one medpac for first aid.
This is what Kaid'as bringing: shadowsuit and helmet, all-temperature cloak (unless armor makes it useless), basic datapad, binder cuffs, blaster carbine, comlink, 2 concealed holsters, credit chip, (3 frags from Logar's stash), heavy blaster pistol, hold-out blaster with spare energy cell, light repeating blaster with 2 spare power packs, liquid cable dispenser, 2 medpacs, mesh tape, pocket scrambler, 5 ration packs, 2 computer spikes (+2), security kit
-- I think that's about it. Do you have a listing of the ship's supplies somewhere just in case I'm missing something?

Telcontar

Farok felt like he was drowning with all the moisture in the air, his breath sounding weezy and water filled. Brim heard the old man swear as the full climate of the planet smacked him in the face, "I was a long time on a arid planet. I hate this place already."

Farok had a small pack that contained some water, and probably at least his flask of booze and several cigars. His baton was still on his belt, but its location had moved, in its place was his lightsaber.

"Rember heroes real men dont look at explosions they walk away from them." All in all Farok seemed strangely non chalant about the whole endevour.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

sdrotar

Sep 26, 2011, 07:35 PM #13 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 07:41 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: Telcontar on Sep 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
"Rember heroes real men dont look at explosions they walk away from them."

B-)  http://youtu.be/Sqz5dbs5zmo

Telcontar

:ooc: exactly right.

Farok reached into his pocket to take out a partially smoked cigar. The atmosphere was already making it softer and more pliable. Without even a thought of trying to light it he clenched it in his mouth and looked towards the objective. He calmed himself and tried to attune his sense to the new environment. He listened to the sounds of the jungle, anticipated its rhythms and natural flow to understand what its natural sounds were. Then he reached out with the Force to see what he could add to what his regular senses had discovered, or perhaps locate any dark tremors in the force.

Rolled 1d20+10 : 18 + 10, total 28
Use the force roll
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18