• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
Jun 17, 2024, 04:57 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!


U.S.S. Merrimac [shuttle]

Started by tomcat, Apr 09, 2010, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

In the aft portion of the Columbia, its massive u-shaped hangar became active. There had been no order yet given, but still the hangar crew was informed by Downer to prepare the ship's one Aladdin-class shuttle for departure. The large craft was drawn out on hoversleds, into the center of the flight line for Hangar 1, where it was immediately connected by heavy-duty power couplings. The ship had a warp-capable engine within it, but the miniaturized warp-core was not kept energized while the vessel was in storage. And so the couplings would begin to warm up the tritium and deuterium which were essential for the matter/anti-matter interaction, all focused through the dilithium crystals.

A flight check officer opened the shuttle's main hatch and climbed inside to prepare environment and to spool up the navigation system. Everything looked normal. If Captain Stonn gave the order for the emergency teams to travel via the shuttle, the craft would be ready.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Apr 10, 2010, 12:36 PM #1 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2010, 12:40 PM by tomcat
Phillips led his team up one deck, from the transporter room towards the aft of the ship. Sherman and his people were in tow. They passed through an environmental bulkhead and entered the wide expanse of the shuttle bay. The hangar was three decks high and literally wrapped the ship's engineering section. Because of the amount of lofty, open space, it was difficult to maintain any warmth within.

Sherman saw the long Aladdin shuttle and grimaced. It was bad enough to be sub-atomically disassembled and transported across the many miles, but to get into that thing and fly it... he wondered which was worse! Phillips and the security team took the lead and clamboured into the shuttle, moving towards the back as they did. Unlike a Galileo craft that could hold up to a maximum of eight, the Aladdin could carry twenty-four including the pilot and navigator, and so all teams would be able to traverse the distance at once to the Merrimac. The medical team entered next, stowing their gear as they found seats, until at last the engineers climbed aboard. With the passengers preparing to sit, the shuttle pilot walked a circuit around his ship while the navigator spooled up the systems.

Sorek and his fellow science officers entered the hangar and walked over to the shuttlecraft where they were pointed to EVA suits. The bay technician aided each one in donning the equipment and then helped them to enter the vehicle. Behind Sorek came the pilot, satisfied with what he saw. Crewmen ran to pull the power couplings and draw them back out of the direct flight path.

A few minutes more, the shuttle hatch closed and the hangar bay began to clear of non-essential people. Hangar Bay door 1 began to slowly open and the vastness of space was visible to all. The Aladdin gently lifted off of the deck on its repulsors and began forward motion as the pilot applied power to the impulse engines. To his right, the navigator performed two functions - making sure the pilot knew where he was going, and reinforcing the shuttle's shield grid with immense power from the warp core. It would not be a long trip, but without the added protection from the radiation, the shuttle passengers and crew would suffer terribly.




:ooc: Flight, nav, and shield test needed for the transit. The skill levels will be based on 1/2 of the department heads' (or PC's) abilities:

Nav's deflector test
TN 10 Cluster Mod +6 = 16 Sys Ops +7, Specialty +2 = +9
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+9: 3,5,+9 Total:17 SUCCESS

Nav's navigation test
TN 20 Cluster Mod +5 = 25 Sys Ops +6, Specialty +2, Shuttle size mod +3 = +11
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+11: 1,3,+11 Total:15 +12 COURAGE = 27 SUCCESS

Pilot's helm test
TN 20 Cluster Mod +5 = 25 Sys Ops +7, Specialty +2, Shuttle size mod +3 = +12
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+12: 3,6,+12 Total:21 +6 COURAGE = 27 SUCCESS


The Shuttle Size mod takes into account the fact that the shuttle is smaller and perhaps a bit more maneuverable within an asteroid belt. Needless to say, the flight was still a bit bumpy and may have caused a soiling of an EVA suit, or two!  ;) Understand that COURAGE returns at a rate of 1 per game day, and so it will take 4 days for the navigator to have such an option again.

As far as PC's go, I have Sorek, Phillips and Sherman on the Aladdin... didn't know if Ramos would be with the engineering team, or not, so let me know.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

bizarro316

Apr 10, 2010, 06:45 PM #2 Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010, 06:55 PM by bizarro316
Phillips, became more excited, not trying to show his emotion, due to the top ranking officers within the confines of the shuttlecraft..**This is it..** He thought, running through the security's game plan once they arrive aboard the Merrimac wreckage..**Into the abyss...I just pray that everything goes to plan...** He looked over towards the pilot, refocusing himself, "Pilot, when we get to the hangar doors of the Merrimac, inform me, so I can override the code to get us inside--" He then looked at his team, continuing, "--same plan guys. Security and Science in first to secure ourselves a rally point. Once that has been achieved, then the rest will follow. Understood?"

He then remembered the prefix code

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 10, 2010, 12:36 PM

As far as PC's go, I have Sorek, Phillips and Sherman on the Aladdin... didn't know if Ramos would be with the engineering team, or not, so let me know.


:ooc: I don't have Ramos going along at this point; at least not unless this becomes a salvage operation. Unless the GM feels that it might be a good idea (hint, hint)... ;)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: No, there is no hidden meaning to my question.  ;) Just didn't know how many PC's you guys wanted to have involved with the landing party.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Doc stared straight ahead from his seat on the shuttle, his face a mask of concentration. The rough ride was having a significant effect on his stomach, and he preferred that the rest of the medical staff did not realize the problem. An unbidden thought crept into his mind ... there are few things more disgusting than vomiting inside an EVA suit.

tomcat

Apr 14, 2010, 05:43 PM #6 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010, 05:49 PM by tomcat
The shuttle pilot and navigator made short, but skillful work of the flight from the Columbia to the Merrimac. The journey had taken over twenty minutes, but at last the Aladdin shuttle started the approach vector to the Constitution's hangar bay. The away team members looked through the forward port and each took in the terrible damage that was visible. For a moment, each lived a private nightmare within their thoughts of what it had to have been like aboard the ship when all failed.

In a standard orbit around the Merrimac, the Columbia was not seen, but aboard her, Downer commenced to send his commands via the new link that had been established via the prefix code. On the Aladdin, the team members all watched as lights activated around the great bay doors and within the control booth that sat above. Eerily, the small booth was empty, but as if a ghost had ordered it, the hangar doors began to glide back slowly in the absolute silence of space. Light from within the hangar now suddenly shone, but nothing moved within, again creating feelings of apprehension in some of the less experienced crewmembers.


"Uh oh," hissed the pilot, causing the navigator to look up. The doors had split open following the tracks in which they lay, but the right door had come to a halt and was jerking back and forth. The motors that drew it back fought to wrench it free from whatever the obstruction was. But it was the entire door that had been misshapen when it was struck by whatever had caused the Merrimac's destruction, and now the door could no longer roll back into the ship's hull.

"Abort landing?" asked the navigator.

"I don't know... I think I can get it in there," was the reply. The pilot looked to the two highest-ranking officers - Sherman and Sorek, "Sirs, I should have enough room to maneuver us in. Do you want me to proceed?"

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Rictor

Sorek looked out the view port at the carnage of the Merrimac up close, noticing the jammed hanger doorway he began calculating the chances of a successful entry and exit if need be from the hanger.  He cocked an eyebrow and looked over at Sherman briefly before giving what he deemed the logical answer to the question.  "It would seem logical that even with the hanger doors at less than optimal efficiency we shouldn't be hindered in our continuing with the mission.  Unless Commander Sherman would prefer otherwise then continue with piloting us into the hanger."


donimator

Transmission from Downer {Columbia-Bridge}
U.S.S. Merrimac NCC-1715
Constitution-class Starship...

SENSORS:
lateral... 38% functionality
navigational... offline
long range... offline

WEAPONS:
phasers... offline
photorps... offline

PROPULSION/POWER:
warp... offline
impulse... 2%
apr... 78%

SHIELDS:
grid... offline

ENVIRONMENTAL:                                                                     
gravity... online
life support... online - multiple hull breach

OPERATIONS:
transporters... 36%
hangar... 75%
sickbay... offline


bizarro316

Devon spoke a silent prayer as he looked over at the wreckage of the vessel that stood; once lifeless in space, now lit again with life...**What could have done this?** He thought. He then shook his thoughts loose then, refocused on the mission at hand, turning to his team.."Alright people, get yourselves ready. Check your gear and weapons. Once we hit the deck, Security out first secure the hangar area..No slip-ups. Pilot? Commanders?" he continued, after excusing himself with his superior officers, "--I believe it would be wise, once we're down to keep the Alladin in orbit around the Merrimac. We can't afford our only way of emergency escape to be--if anything occurs--stuck and grounded...Defenseless.."

BrianM

Apr 15, 2010, 02:12 PM #10 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010, 03:29 PM by BrianM
Quote from: Rictor on Apr 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
"It would seem logical that even with the hanger doors at less than optimal efficiency we shouldn't be hindered in our continuing with the mission.  Unless Commander Sherman would prefer otherwise then continue with piloting us into the hanger."

Still trying to calm his stomach, Doc took a peek out of the viewport at the damaged landing bay. Then he took a moment to study the face of the young pilot. For the most part, these kids were pretty green, but they were certainly good at what they did, and Doc could read the confidence in the face looking back at him. "Well, if you think you can get us in there in one piece, son, let's go."

tomcat

Apr 16, 2010, 02:16 PM #11 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 02:22 PM by tomcat
:ooc: By the way, I just have to say... Phillips and his security teams can be wearing standard jumpsuits. They are definitely not wearing those awful looking security uniforms that were depicted in Star Trek III, with those ridiculous-looking wrestler helmet headgear.

So, make it whatever you want it to be, but it is not the above mentioned!  ;)





"I can get us in," said the pilot. He nodded to Mr. Sorek in confirmation of the Vulcan's command and turned back to his controls. The navigator spoke next, "It seems prudent, what Lt. Phillips has suggested, sirs. Unless you tell us otherwise, once we set down and unload, we'll take her back out and orbit the starship."

The Aladdin started to maneuver into the shuttle-bay, passing through the damaged entrance. Through the portals, the hangar door was jerking violently back and forth as the powerful motors that drew them back fought with the deformed shape. The disquieting thing was that the spastic jerking was in absolute silence. With no air to disturb, normal soundwaves were absent in space. Only the sounds within the shuttle cabin gave any evidence of life around them.

But even with the one door inoperable, the opening that they passed through seemed efficient. In front of them, the landing pad of the bay was clear, save for one Galileo-class shuttle sitting on a starting launch point. There was nothing abnormal about that, and even with its presence, the Aladdin had plenty of room to maneuver. Doc let out a sigh of relief as the last side-view portal passed into the hangar bay.

BAM!

What had been a semi-normal flight approach suddenly turned into a frantic, chaotic scene of noise and light. Sparks showered within the Aladdin and screams came from the away team. The shuttle navigator cried out in pain as electric sparks burst in his face and a small console panel gouted flames, scorching him.

The shuttle heaved violently and careened left, its tail end spinning out causing the forward view screen to tilt off the horizon at a terrible angle. Centrifugal force pulled at one side of the craft, slamming people into walls as it yanked the other side's passengers from their seats. The pilot, with incredible skill, pulled hard on the shuttle's flight controls jerking the it back up, while forcing it into a very hard landing. The Aladdin hit the flight deck with a boom, still in mid-spin, and slid a few meters to finally come to rest just opposite to the Galileo. That the two ships had not collided was amazing luck.

The cabin lights flickered, smoke filled throughout, and moans came from the wounded team members.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

bizarro316

"What the--," Devon spat out, slowly at first getting up, making sure that he didn't move too quick, fearing he may bump into other members of the away team. He looked over towards the pilot, continuing, "Pilot? You okay? What happened?" He then, multi-tasking, waiting for a response, began to go and check the others, making sure that everyone was okay...

tomcat

Apr 16, 2010, 08:35 PM #13 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010, 05:00 AM by tomcat
:ooc: The three main PC's do not take life threatening injuries from the wreck, but they do take the following damage each:

Sorek - Roll(3d6)+0: 1,5,2,+0 Total:8
Phillips - Roll(3d6)+0: 3,4,4,+0 Total:11
Sherman - Roll(3d6)+0: 3,3,1,+0 Total:7

All players can give me a Stamina test TN 12 - if failed, the PC will suffer a Weariness penalty for a number of hours based on how bad they failed. On a Failure reduced to Winded; on a Complete Failure reduced to Tired; on a Disastrous Failure reduced to Fatigued - the level of Weariness will determine the time needed to recover per Table 6.26 in the NG.

All players can give me a Perception test TN 12





With the adrenaline and the shock of the incident beginning to abate, the shuttlecraft pilot heard Phillips call and replied, "Yes, sir, I am okay."

The pilot pushed back on his seat and slid out of the command chair. He tapped a couple controls on the instrument panel and the Aladdin's cabin lighting went from flickering amber lights, to a soft white glow. There was a haze of smoke hanging in the chamber and the pilot next hit the command for the ventilation system to blow harder and circulate out the potential hazard. He then moved to where his companion sat, holding his arm and hand that had been badly scorched by the fire.

"Is the Doc okay?" he called.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

bizarro316

Apr 16, 2010, 09:33 PM #14 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010, 05:28 AM by bizarro316
 :ooc: Rerolled the results...And let's just say...UGH! LoL! (3 was the result)

Devon, still feeling the effects of the shuttle crash, attempted to regain his bearing, trying to shake off the pain that he was going through; **Should've stayed seated..** He thought, smiling to himself. Looking over towards the others, hoping the rest fared better than he did...