• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 04:10 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Fight or Flight!

Started by tomcat, Feb 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 18, 2008, 08:14 PM Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:06 AM by tomcat
Stonn watched as the cloaked Klingon ships closed the distance between the dead Gr'Toth and the Columbia. His sensors were efficient enough to detect the vessels, but their cloaking systems were masking whether or not the ships approached with weapons to bear.

At his station, but feeling utterly useless, Grahm stood looking at his blank console. He quickly glanced to the engineering station with the re-boot clock counting down and there was still an hour before weapons would be available. He looked over his shoulder to Stonn to see if the emotionless Vulcan had any new info, at the same time wondering if and when the captain would let him get those fighters off the deck.

Watching over all was the Deltan/Vulcan hybrid, sitting quietly, but emotionally analyzing his senior officers.

Temoc's bird of prey came into visual range of the Columbia and the ship's viewscreen revealed the Miranda-class cruiser as it began its maneuvers. The Klingon was puzzled. There was supposed to be a Romulan-built mock-up of a Federation vessel in this sector, but not like this ship. It was to be modeled after the Starfleet Constitution type.

He leaned forward, resting his chin in the cup of his palm. "Sensors? What do you have?"

"The Federation ship is maneuvering with apparent full power, sir, but I do not detect their deflector shields being active... nor any weapons charged. She appears to have sustained quite a bit of damage."

The captain coldly ordered, "Send to our comrades. Have them separate and circle around this enemy vessel and we shall catch the Earthlings in deadly crossfire."

"Aye sir," replied the comm station.

Temoc was going to make sure that a Federation vessel was destroyed and create the evidence of its attack into Klingon space.

[OOC:] Ario can give me an Empathy test roll against an opposed Willpower test from the senior officers to see if he can get a sense of how they are standing up to the situation.

So what I'd like for Matt and Shawn to do is roll a Willpower test and then give a brief description as to how the character is feeling right now - i.e. nervous, angry, etc. And be honest... give us an idea of how these young officers, in the middle of enemy territory, after a massive attack, and now being hunted by two hidden ships, are composing themselves - both inwardly and outwardly.

Peter then can roll an Empathy test against each Willpower test and if he succeeds, he can use the details you guys give. This can (or should) generate some good dialogue depending on how you guys work out the new Klingon encounter.

So, here is Grahms:

Mood: Grahm is actually perturbed and quite angry. He is angry that the ship may potentially be attacked again and perturbed because his captain has not greenlighted his plan. As Tactical Officer, his training bends his resolve of this matter in one direction... confront it with power and gain the upper hand.

He is nervous and though he is composed, he still is sweating and agitated.

Willpower test to mask his composure:
Roll(2d6)+2: 1,1,+2 -1 Total:3 - GRAHM IS HIDING NOTHING!!
  (D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

pgholland

Feb 19, 2008, 08:37 AM #1 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 08:58 AM by pgholland
Ario sat at the bridge station that he had occupied, partly trying to do the job of the missing crew-member, some sort of Ops Control by the looks of it, whilst getting a reading of the senior staff's moods. Grahm's were like a beacon, anger and frustration practically boiled over from the man; perhaps in a few moments he could try sending out calming waves to help the man function better?
Aside from that he tapped into the sensor data, trying to obtain any reading he could from the ship manoeuvering, starship 'anthropology' wasn't exactly a strong-point, but there was a chance that he could help get a pre-emptive reading of the Klingon's motives, that might assist the Captain in his choices.

[OOC: Am assuming that I get the +5 Bonus from Coverage, as I'm testing against multiples or is it just at the standard? Either way I'll post without the bonus/penalties to make it easier. EDIT: Coverage Mod Added (good thing I checked my sheet a few days ago, forgot I had that...)
Empathy Test: 2d6+3+5
1,3+3+5= 12 (arghhhhh!)

Science: Social Test (Exo-Anthropology might apply but I doubt it) 2d6+4
3,1+4= 8 (Oh come on!)]

tomcat

Feb 19, 2008, 08:54 AM #2 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 09:01 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Peter, yea... you can use the +5 coverage modifier. Looks like we both had a bad stint with the dice roller.  ':}

On his console, Ario got very little with his search due to the vague information that the sensors were able to generate.

Yet, data did start to spool up regarding the Klingon houses and the Chak-ruth in particular. The information was not new, many of the ship's crew had pored over it for the last few weeks, but still it was something to occupy the psychologist.

The Chak-ruth was the most elite of the lower houses of the Empire. It governed most of the sectors that bordered Romulan and outer rim sectors and had invested much of its resources into smaller, faster, light ships. Of the seven houses of the Empire, the Chak-ruth were reported as the most adventurous and ruthless - a trait that was revealing itself in their attempted coup.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Stonn's Willpower test:
Roll(2d6)+5: 4,5,+5 Total:14

Stonn's outward appearance was impassive as always, though he looked a bit pensive. Inside, the Vulcan felt some apprehension at the most likely outcome of their encounter. The ship could only be repaired so quickly, and as such, they were probably going to be destroyed within minutes. Though Stonn accepted this - after all, all life begins and ends - he felt a twinge of disappointment that his own life would not go on; that he would no longer be enriched by learning more about the universe around him. He noticed the irony of the situation; the fact that they succeeded in stopping the Romulan plot would not change the eventual outcome. Hope was a human emotion - to Stonn, the ship would be destroyed and the Klingons and Federation would go to war... or they would not. At this point, the power to alter that outcome was not in Stonn's hands, and for a moment, he envied the humans and their ability to find optimism in situations that did not warrant it.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Feb 19, 2008, 05:46 PM #4 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 05:51 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Willpower - [2,4,5] (5+4)+2=11

Darkan is physically and emotionally drained.  The painkillers are starting to lose their effectiveness and so its making him irritable (ie his terse response to Ario).  Being captain, though, he feels the need to tough it out and so putting all his effort into focusing on the situation and to get his people out alive and hopefully not losing anymore of them.  On the outside, Darkan is focused, almost brooding on the situation; anything that doesn't help them just hinders their recovery.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

"Are the fighters ready to launch?  What's the status of the Away Team?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Grahm had an answer for Darkan almost immediately, "Sir, the first wing is on the deck and spooled up. The pilots are being briefed as we speak. The second squadron is ready in five."

Communications answered the next question, "Sir, there has been no communication from Galileo 042 since they landed on the Klingon battlecruiser."

pgholland

Unsurprisingly Mr. Stonn was completely unreadable- traditional Vulcan stoicism, Ario had not expected to have read any emotions from him anyway- it was simply an impossiblity to read that from a true Vulcan. The Captain's mental state however was more transparent and completely unsurprising too, this was a stressful and irritating situation. Ario only hoped that it wouldn't adversely affect the Captain's descisions.
He looked up at the mention of the fighters, "Captain, might I suggest not launching those fighters just yet- unless they can take out both ships quickly chances are we will be completely destroyed; and even if they do, I would guarantee that we will take even more damage. This particular Klingon house looks to me to be potentially volatile, but also somethign we may be able to negotiate with- they have defended this border from the Romulans for years, and they like a good challenge- perhaps we could persuade them to help track down any Romulan influence?"

[OOC: Technically shouldn't Stonn have rolled Mind Shield as he's a psion? No big deal, only thought about it this morning... lol]

tomcat

Grahm heard Ario's suggestions to the captain and immediately turned, "Sir, I highly recommend that those fighters are put out in space, and postured for stand-off. They are the only guns we have right now! We may need to get the Columbia out of here for the next fifty minutes, at least until we can get our shields and weapons back online - then we come back for our ships."

The tactical officer did not like leaving anyone behind to fight and fend for themselves, but the entire starship and crew were at stake.

Temoc turned to his helm, "Disengage the cloaking device... let them know we are here."

The Klingon commander did not really want to reveal his position, but the ship could not generate enough energy to fully charge the weapons while cloaked.

GandalfOfBorg

"We are in no position to bargain and the Klingons have been out there long enough to know that; they are just biding their time, waiting for the right moment to show themselves and power weapons.  The fighters are the ace in the hole for us, I don't want to show our hand too soon."  At that moment the alarm sounded and Stonn announced the decloaking of the Birds of Prey; that was the moment that Darkan was waiting for.  "Red Alert!  All fighters launch!" he called moving to the command chair.  "Once the first flight is away, helm, evasive maneuvers as previously planned and head for the planetoid."

OOC: Are the tractor beams online?  Is there any way to tow some debris as a shield?
Gwaithlim Weapons

pgholland

Ario sighed- the Captain was letting his frustration get the better of him, right now it would have been better to have Stonn in charge of the bridge, "Captain, no! If we are in no position to bargain with the Klingons then that is exactly why we must! Fighters will be no match against two fully armed, fully functioning Birds of Prey, especially not from this particular house- their entire fleet is composed of these ships, they know how to use them. How often do Federation Fighters see action? If we fight, then we will be destroyed- reasoning might well get us out of this in one piece, but only if we present a strong, but non-aggressive front!"

tomcat

"Captain, this is not a time to debate," said Grahm. "Those eight fighters, sir, are armed with photons and phasers... more than we have currently. Each wing can put a spread of four torpedoes on both enemy ships, captain. That is nothing to snub their noses at! The Bird of Prey maybe stealthy, but it is only a scout ship."

pgholland

"Four torpedoes? Captain, you are suggesting that a flight of inexperienced fighter crews take on two, battle tested, battle hardened Birds of Prey, with powerful shields and powerful weaponry. We need to negotiate, only resort to the combat IF we have to. Enough lives have already been lost today!"
As Ario spoke he reached out with his mind, gently touching Grahm's and attempting to calm him down somewhat, bring him back to a more normal, rational state... if he had one, which his psych profile certainly suggested.

[OOC: Emapthy Test vs. Grahm's Willpower
2d6+3
5,3+3= 8+3= 11 (well that's a better roll...)]

tomcat

Feb 22, 2008, 11:11 AM #13 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008, 11:36 AM by tomcat
[OOC:]

Grahm's Willpower test TN 11

Willpower +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,5,+2 Total:10 FAILED - very close! [you move Grahm's mood from Wrath to Calmness]

I would like to see if Stonn is detecting Ario's psionic usage, being a psion himself. I can't find any info in the books regarding psionic impressions, or sensitivity, so I am going to rule...

Shawn have Stonn make a Psionic attribute test TN 10 (use his attribute modifier). If successful, Stonn is aware that Ario is using his psionic powers and then you guys can RP it out how you want. (i.e. Does Stonn think that mental influencing is appropriate on the bridge? As a psion, would he approach Ario quietly, or make observation of it on the bridge?) Have fun!

Grahm relaxed. He breathed deep. He then looked to the situation board, both above the engineering station and on his own tactical console.

In a reasoned tone, he spoke, "Captain, I am not saying that the fighters need launched for the immediate purpose of attacking this potential threat, but the Columbia currnetly has no means of defense at this time. If communication is attempted and failed, we are sitting ducks. Rather we attempt to communicate and ward off this threat peacefully, but have our fighters as visible, real deterrent. Sometimes peace is maintained through the threat of harm."

He looked to Ario, "And no disrespect to the ensign here, but our pilots are not inexperienced - their skills are kept honed via the hangar simulators at all times. As far as our fighters go, the ensign may want to read up on his knowledge of the Federation arsenal, but I'd pit a wing of those ships against a B'rel-class any day."

Grahm gave Ario a look that comes from a senior officer to a junior, "I quote General Order 29, the primary responsibility of the commander of any Starfleet vessel or installation is the welfare and safety of his crew, including any civilian members. No action may be taken that creates an unwarranted threat to the safety of those individuals under the officer's charge, except in the line of duty and when otherwise unavoidable.

"In this particular circumstance, Captain, not doing anything creates a viable risk to everyone aboard this ship."

Grahm quit speaking. He actually felt better... more relaxed and less agitated.

tomcat

Two B'rel class ships appeared out of the nothingness of space and continued their cautious approach towards the Columbia. Temoc ordered the weapons charged to full capacity.

He looked at his sensor operator, "Shields? Weapons?"

"Sir, I am not detecting any active deflector screen and the weapons are not charged."

The captain looked to his second, "Maybe they are more crippled than we thought? What a prize for the Chak-ruth?!" With the second in commands smile and nod, Temoc ordered, "Fire only to disable. We shall have ourselves a Federation cruiser to rip apart and learn their secrets. Communications... send to the Kro'lok - fire to disable only."

They still had over five hundred thousand kilometers to cover before the B'rel's weapons could be effective, but at full impulse that would take no time at all.

[OOC:] I am going to say another 3 minutes, due to their cautious approach.