• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:50 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Fight or Flight!

Started by tomcat, Feb 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgholland

Ario shook his head, "Mr Grahm, you seem to be forgetting other Starfleet directives, including that of Self Defence- no force has been used against us, therefore any show of force could well be in contradiction to this. Not to mention Directive 10- we have made no attempts to contact them, Directive 10 states that we must make all attempts before engaging in any form of combat. Not to mention General Orders about compromising the safety of the Federation- unmitigated aggression could do exactly that. We need to speak to the Klingons first, attempt a peaceful solution first, we are weak- there is no glory in attacking us, we can start negotiations that way."

tomcat

Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM #16 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008, 05:02 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] I am not stifling this debate by any means with this, but remember that there are defining ranks - even though the Federation runs this a bit loose, those ranks are still in place, and deference is expected.

I only say this because Ario, an ensign, called Grahm, Mr. Grahm - instead of Lt. Commander... or sir, or whatever.

Just remember you all are part of an established military unit with hierarchies.  ;)

Grahm replied, "As the tactical officer of this ship, ensign, I make it my job to be aware of where the line lies in regards to Starfleet directives. I did not say that we should not attempt to communicate with the approaching Klingons - by all means we should - but to leave ourselves defenseless to any outcome is foolish. As far as no force being used against us, look around you ensign. Our ship's condition is the direct result of force from both the Klingon house of Chak-ruth and an apparent Romulan conspiracy. If you think I am wrong, why don't you ask the Klingon captain of the destroyed Gr'Toth."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
[OOC:]

I would like to see if Stonn is detecting Ario's psionic usage, being a psion himself. I can't find any info in the books regarding psionic impressions, or sensitivity, so I am going to rule...

Shawn have Stonn make a Psionic attribute test TN 10 (use his attribute modifier). If successful, Stonn is aware that Ario is using his psionic powers and then you guys can RP it out how you want. (i.e. Does Stonn think that mental influencing is appropriate on the bridge? As a psion, would he approach Ario quietly, or make observation of it on the bridge?) Have fun!

PSI test (TN 10)
Stonn PSI +4
Roll(2d6)+4: 4,2,+4 Total:10 SUCCESS

Stonn sensed the activity coming from the ensign. A psion without discipline or respect for others' free will was a dangerous thing, and he was surprised this this man had slipped through Starfleet's ranks. As A Vulcan, he found controlling of minds - for any purpose - to be reprehensible. It ran contrary to everything Vulcans believed in, and Stonn thought that belief to be just. But Stonn was less concerned with that at the moment than the surprising drama playing out on the bridge.

"Gentlemen," he said firmly, "there is no 'right' answer. The Captain is in command... and on this bridge, his orders will be followed without question."
He was First Officer, after all, responsible for the crew. Grahm's position was understandable, given his role, and while the ensign's suggestion of diplomacy had merit, the young man's decorum and etiquette left much to be desired. Stonn would be sure to study the man's service record and profile thoroughly, and he would explain to the ensign that the senior staff's minds were never to be manipulated... assuming they survived this, of course.

In the meantime, the Captain needed a moment to make a decision, and Stonn intended to make certain that he received it.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I apologize for being late to the party, but Darkan wouldn't have allowed the debate to commence with a likely enemy stalking them.

The bickering on the bridge causes Darkan to finally lose his cool.  "This is not the Academy debate team nor a democracy, carry out your orders NOW!  Launch the fighters as a defensive screen, targeting weapons and propulsion, and, helm, evasive maneuvers and lay in an intercept course to the planetoid!" he demands as the Klingon ships approach.  "And if they are online, use the tractor beams to snag some debris to give us some extra cover!"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Feb 22, 2008, 09:25 PM #19 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008, 09:28 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] This is great! The characters are definitely showing the stress... very nice. Fun scene!

Shawn... I am sorry to say but the test results for Stonn are incorrect. You needed to use the attribute modifier, not the attribute itself - so it would have been +0 instead of +4. Still, I like the post you made so I am going to allow you to keep it with the sacrifice of one Courage. If you really don't wanna do that, let me know.

Helm - Hard About maneuver TN 15
Sys Ops +7, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+9: 2,3,+9 Total:14 +1 (from Commmand trait bonus from Darkan) SUCCESS

Operations - Grab debris with tractors TN 15
Sys Ops +5, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 1,3,+7 Total:11 +1 (from Commmand trait bonus from Darkan) +3 (COURAGE) SUCCESS

Grahm stiffened with the captain's raised voice. He composed himself and replied, "Aye sir. Bridge to hangar, launch all ready fighters."

At the same time, the two junior crewman at the helm got busy with maneuvering the ship. The Columbia was brought hard about in an attempt to break any potential locks that the Klingons might have and to give them minimal aspect to the starship.

The operations crewman activated the forward-ventral tractor beam and snagged pieces of debris that still littered the space around them, dragging it along behind the Columbia as it set course for the small planetoid. The unexpected benefit was the screening of the two wings of Wasp-class fighters, which used the debris to mask their approach to the now tailing B'rels.

"Flight lead 1. Dispersing."

"Roger, Flight lead 1. Flight lead 2 faning out as well. Targeting Zulu-1a."

"Roger 2, we have the other one."

The wasps were a speedy, well-armed craft, but with limited defenses. Not until the fighters left the shadows of the trailed debris were they noticed.

"Commader Temoc! The Federation ship just increased speed and maneuvers!"

"That makes sense," smiled the captain.

"Sir, I am now detecting small, high-speed craft inbound!"

The klingon commander turned to his sensor operator, striding over as he did to see the new contacts.

[OOC:] Okay, we will go into combat round threads now, unless you guys want to make contact with the Klingons. Let me know.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

pgholland

Ario sighed and turned, leaving the bridge, "We are all going to die now. You have completely disregarded Federation Policy. A shame you will be remembered as a traitor and a failure Captain." he said as he entered the turbolift- evidently Starfleet had made a very bad choice assigning Darkan as Captain of this ship, he had so little experience, and was completely incapable of following procedure and policy- his psych reports were right.

sdrotar

Quote from: pgholland on Feb 23, 2008, 04:58 AM
Ario sighed and turned, leaving the bridge, "We are all going to die now. You have completely disregarded Federation Policy. A shame you will be remembered as a traitor and a failure Captain." he said as he entered the turbolift- evidently Starfleet had made a very bad choice assigning Darkan as Captain of this ship, he had so little experience, and was completely incapable of following procedure and policy- his psych reports were right.

"Dismissed, Ensign!" Stonn barked, more firmly than he ever spoken in his life; even he was surprised at his tone.
"You are confined to quarters! I trust that calling Security will not be necessary."

As the lift doors closed, Stonn was as close to shocked as he had ever been. Outright mutiny  - from a junior officer - it was almost unheard of on Starfleet vessels. The man's career would no doubt be very brief.

Stonn turned to his viewer and began scanning.

OOC: Do we have a helm officer now? If not, perhaps Stonn could route Helm through his panel; or take the console himself if there were no better options.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] Yea Shawn, you guys do have a helmsman in the seat. He will have 1/2 of Townshend's skills.

As far as Ario goes... that was kinda wild.

GandalfOfBorg

Feb 24, 2008, 08:12 AM #23 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008, 08:16 AM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: No wish to talk with the Klingons, want to fix ship and get back to Fed space.  BTW, the fighters standing orders are to act as a defensive screen for the Columbia and once the Columbia is able to hide at the planetoid, they are to make themselves scarce in the debris, keeping an eye out for the away team.

Tactics - (4+1)+5=10
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16