• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 27, 2024, 11:59 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Ambush

Started by tomcat, Apr 06, 2007, 09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Apr 06, 2007, 09:36 AM Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 10:24 AM by tomcat
Two days passed in the small village of Burh Donun with no sight of any Sagath raiders.

The Company and the host of ten Éothraim warriors arrived in the small community early in the morning days past to excitement and fear. Some of the villagers were worried of the reprisals that they would face at the hands of Koskas, while others were encouraged by seeing the return of their warriors. With slight reluctance, Bragos welcomed them and had listened to their plan and finally endorsed it.

Fengel set his picket line of young riders armed with bows around the town, rotating them as the time passed so as to keep everyone from losing their edge. In town, the horses were penned in a longhouse so no wary eye would see that things had changed and the Company wore clothes over their armor to keep a lower profile amongst the villagers.

And so the days passed. Fengel became concerned - if the enemy did not come, it was more days that would have been wasted in the search for his sister. But that was not to be the case... fortune smiled and an outrider came racing into the village.

"Riders approach," he cried. "Looks to be ten of them and there are great beasts that lope along with them!"

OOC: Actions - and/or - dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

The anxiousness of waiting suddenly left as the scout gave his report, and now Fengel was struck with a bit of doubt.  "Had the riders made it through to Thuidmar?  How many of the warriors of Thergas returned?"  He quickly shook the thought off.  "Spread the word, wait for the signal and let none of them escape!", he barked out.  Fengel had six horses prepared every morning in case they needed to run down any of the enemy.  He hoped that this would be a quick snare with little loses.  As they waited for the raiders, he glanced at Dirnhael.  "I'm glad that you are with me." He spoke softly, then walked out with Bragos to greet the raiders.

OOC: I am assuming that the raiders have left instructions as to what they would take each visit, and that they would expect it to be ready upon their arrival.  So Fengel is going out with Bragos to renegotiate the terms.  The signal will be the drawing of his sword.  Unless of course that is not how they go about it.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil itched for action.  The complacency of sitting and waiting for the ambush annoyed him.  To quell the anxiousness during this time, he would ride out around the perimeter of the village, seeing from which direction reinforcements could come through or retreats could be made.  When the outrider came with the announcement, he set himself near the longhouse where his faithful steed was kept.  Being one of the lightest of riders and a comparable bowman, he took up the task of chasing down any that might seek to escape the ambush.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

The Easterlings began to fan out as they approached - four taking up positions of close range on the very outskirts of Burh Donun, while the remiaing six rode directly towards Bragos and Fengel. The Éothraim warrior was draped in a loose tunic and a hooded cloak to both disguise himself and cover his weapons, but the heat made the apparel stand out.

The apparaent Sagath leader shouted out at his approach, "Bragos... we hope you have the food stuffs prepared for us this time! And who is your friend?"

While the Easterling and Éothraim exchanged words, three wargs skulked into the village sniffing at the ground and growling at the men, women and children that stood about. Dirnhael watched them and knew it would not be long before the creatures picked up the scent of the horses within the longhouse.

OOC: Actions - and/or - dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel did not wait for Bragos to respond.  He stepped forward, "You have taken enough, there is nothing left for you here.  But we will accept your surrender as an apology for all of the harm that you have caused."  Fengel saw the wargs coming closer.  He had hoped that they would have stayed on the outskirts, but now he knew that they would have to be the first to be slain.  The attack must be now while they were still unexpecting.  Without waiting for their leaders response Fengel tore off the cloak, drew his sword and attacked the warg that approached on his right.  He knew that this had to be quick so he attacked with all that he could muster.
Initiative: Roll(2d6)+3: 5,5,+3 Total:13

Action 1: Two-handed attack
AC+8; L.Sword+2; Nim+1; Warwise+3; Cerduil+1; 2-handed+2; bonus maneuver+1
Roll(2d6)+18: 1,3,+18 Total:22
Damage: Roll(2d6)+12: 5,3,+12 Total:20

Action 2: Two-handed Attack
Roll(2d6)+18: 5,3,+18 Total:26
Damage: Roll(2d6)+12: 5,6,+12 Total:23

Action 3: Two-handed Attack
Roll(2d6)+18: 5,1,+18 Total:24
Damage: Roll(2d6)+12: 5,2,+12 Total:19

Action 4: Two-handed Attack
Roll(2d6)+18: 2,1,+18 Total:21
Damage: Roll(2d6)+12: 6,6,+12 Total:24 Roll(1d6)+0: 1,+24 Total:25

Nikitas

Apr 09, 2007, 10:11 PM #5 Last Edit: Apr 10, 2007, 08:20 AM by Nikitas
OCC: Yeah I wouldn't worry about Fengle's actions, its appropriate in the context of the stress and despair that Fengel has no doubt felt since he returned to his homeland.

Armed Combat (Blades: Long sword):
2d6=1,3
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+6), Speciality (+2), Two-handed (+2)
4+3+6+2+2= 14

Damage:
2d6=1,2
Strength (+2), Weapon (+5), Two-handed (+4)
3+2+5+4= 14
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir was shocked to see Fengel react so quickly, but he soon recovered and drew his blade. The rogue would have rather slipped quietly off to the side to surprise the raiders, but now in the open he had no choice but to stand his ground, face to face with the enemy. As Fengel struck at the warg to his right, Galudir saw that he was exposed to the warg on his left, so he rushed forward and slashed at the beast.

Palandil

OOC: Sorry for what appears to be rash actions on Fengel's part.  After I thought about it, Fengel should have let Bragos talk and not even had been out there.  Then they could have used surprise a little more.  I guess he was worried about more of his people getting killed.  :\

Stefan

Nain had doen his best to stay busy while they'd waited so the anxiousness had not had much affect on him.  He was skilled at many crafts that would be helpful to the village even if they didnt have a forge and he used those skills to best affect.  

Once the riders were seen he readied his axe then waited and watched out of sight as the wargs sniffed nearby.  He would give them away before their leader was ready if he were seen.  However, Fengel's shout, the signal he'd been waiting for, was fast and loud and he set upon the wargs like a thunderhead rolling across the mountains of his homeland.

Initiative:
Roll(2d6)+2: 1,1+3=4 (Ouch!)
Attack Warg in village
Roll(2d6)+9: 5,3+9=17
Dmg(2d6)+10: 2,4+10=16

Roll(2d6)+9: 1,6+9=16
Dmg(2d6)+10: 6,6+10=22

tomcat

OOC: Hey all - wanted to let you know for round one I am giving you guys the initiative - so don't bother rolling, just pick a target.

I will start a new thread for round one with the situational mods, etc. Paul I will be moving the details of your post over to the new thread. As far as rashness... nah. It looks to me like the actions of a fiery spirited warrior who has seen his people oppressed.

Feel free to add anymore dialogue on this thread or the new combat threads.

GandalfOfBorg

That warg (far right, between cottage and crops) was getting a little too close for comfort.  When Fengel sprung into action, his quick reflexes allowed him to ready his bow and release two arrows at the warg.

Free) Ready bow
Free) Ready arrow
1) RC: Bow (Shortbow) - (5+2)+14+2=23 
Damage: (3+4)+1+(6+2)=16
Free) Ready arrow
2) RC: Bow (Shortbow) - (6+4)+14+2=26
Damage: (6+4)+1+(4+2)=17

OOC: The last two 1d6 rolls for damage were assuming Extraordinary Success.  Feel free to revise the effect of Quick-draw if you think that my use proves too unbalancing.

Init - (3+1)+2=6  uh oh...
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Quote from: Palandil on Apr 09, 2007, 01:13 PM
Initiative: Roll(2d6)+3: 5,5,+3 Total:13

OOC: Can I use this for the next round, or do you want me to roll again? [<

Nikitas

OCC: Ok I updated my post targeting the warg to Fengel's left. And as to my dice rolls... looks like it's either feast or famine.

tomcat

OOC: I have moved your actions to the Round 1 - Ambush thread - I will be continuing the combat there.