• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:53 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The plan

Started by tomcat, Mar 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 01, 2007, 01:30 PM
"The Easterlings pillage our folk in groups of eight to ten," said Gareth. "We haven't seen this directly, but it is what has been reported by the stragglers that flee from the vale and come here to Thergas."

Dirnhael nodded confidently to Fengel - both of them knew that their Company could likely handle that number alone; with help from a few stout men, it would be even easier.

If they were to eliminate one raiding party, he thought, Koskas would undoubtedly send a larger one next time. And while that would be potentially bad for the Eothraim, it could also open up a hole in their lines through which riders to Thergas could slip. The key was being ready to handle both possibilities at once...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

"No doubt they would also have some wargs with them, possibly as look outs around the edge of the settlements.  I propose we go back to Buhr Donun and set an ambush within the village.  Perhaps Bragos may encourage the village to aid us as well.  If we can be successful the first time then our riders should be able to get to Thergas."  Fengel looked to his cousin, "Gareth, go to some of the strongest warriors that you think are willing to fight and let them know that they are needed, but their captain does not command them to follow.  Be sure that you only bring a few, for men must still maintain Thergas."  Fengel hasn't planned any tactical operations before, so he was glad to have Dirnhael beside him.  "What do you think Dirnhael?" he asks his friend. OO

GandalfOfBorg

OOC:  This response is to come sometime after Dirnhael's response in some sort of form, I just didn't want to forget the gist of what I was going to say... kinda channeling "The 13th Warrior" where Buliwyf's friend picks a fight with a henchman of the prince.

Durgil chimes in.  "Eliminating a raiding party while defending a village is well and good, but what making a quick turnaround?  After defeating the raiding party, why not strike right back at the enemy, putting him on the defensive?  This would make him take pause to consider not only the known but the unknown as well.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

"Aye, Sounds like a good suggestion.  We need not even damage the garrison, just let them know that we're to be reckoned with."

Palandil

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 02, 2007, 05:54 AM
Durgil chimes in.  "Eliminating a raiding party while defending a village is well and good, but what making a quick turnaround?  After defeating the raiding party, why not strike right back at the enemy, putting him on the defensive?  This would make him take pause to consider not only the known but the unknown as well.

"I agree Durgil, after riders have been sent to Thuidmar.  One attack on their men would be considered a village uprising, but after they discover that the Eothraim are making a stand Koskas would surely send for more men.  Once riders have been sent, we shall rally the warriors of Thergas and bring the battle to Koskas!  Perhaps on our way we may find a smaller band sent to investigate the loss of their raiding party giving us even better odds."  Fengel adds with a smile.

tomcat

"So when do we commence these sorties?" asked the Elven mage.

While the Company members had been discussing their strategy, Gareth had slipped out of the room. Before anyone could answer the Sindar, the Éothraim returned - behind Fengel's cousin came many of the men and women of Thergas and each had a gleam in his or her eye.

"This is rash foolishness!" cried Eorlas as he glared at Gareth. "Your insubordinance bears a penalty of death!"

Gareth replied, respectfully, but sternly, "Lord Eorlas, I will not do anything to counter any order you give in the running of this keep, but it is time that we carry the fight back to the reavers. And should my choice here be considered treachery, than I will gladly find that death on the field of battle against invaders in our land."

The words that came from the youth were strong and proud and none in the room could not be moved. Eorlas looked around and saw that all his men stood behind Gareth in this... the fires of war had been rekindled by Fengel's arrival, and Gareth had stoked the flames. The commander of Thergas shook his head and left the chamber without another word.

Gareth looked about to all his kinfolk, "Eorlas is a good man; a strong father; and good commander. He has just lost his will for the fight. No disrespect will be shown him, and we will pray for the strength to grow again within his heart before this is through."

That said, the host of Éothraim looked to Fengel and the Company - all twenty-seven of them.

OOC: There are a total of 67 folk within Thergas - some are older, some are children - but only 27 would rally behind Gareth. The rest either fear reprisal or think it all in vain. Understand that two years of plague and war has wore heavy on these people, so spirits are low. Of course, this could all be changed with a glorious victory.  ;D

Actions - and / or - dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Apr 03, 2007, 04:00 AM

"I agree Durgil, after riders have been sent to Thuidmar.  One attack on their men would be considered a village uprising, but after they discover that the Eothraim are making a stand Koskas would surely send for more men.  Once riders have been sent, we shall rally the warriors of Thergas and bring the battle to Koskas!  Perhaps on our way we may find a smaller band sent to investigate the loss of their raiding party giving us even better odds."  Fengel adds with a smile.

"I think that wise," Dirnhael said. "I have believed that small attacks to sting the enemy will work best given our situation, but getting the riders through the lines is our first concern. Otherwise, we will undoubtedly find ourselves overrun in time."

BrianM

Apr 03, 2007, 09:03 AM #22 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 09:10 AM by BrianM
Quote from: tomcat on Apr 03, 2007, 06:34 AM
"So when do we commence these sorties?" asked the Elven mage.

Edrahil's question still hung in the air after the confrontation betweek Eorlas and the younger Gareth. Looking into the eyes of the people rallying behind Fengel and his cousin, the elf already knew the answer. He was worried for his comrades. The fires that burn within men are so easily kindled, the mage thought, and he hoped that they weren't rushing to their doom on these eastern plains so far from home.

Still, he trusted Dirnhael to prevent them from needlessly throwing their lives away. Taking his friend aside, the elf said "We must tread carefully. Fengel's arrival has set a spark among these folk, and now the fires burn hot. We must not let their passion overwhelm reason, or their fight will be a losing one."

Edrahil excused himself from the group to check on his healing supplies, adding as many bandages to his stock as he could find. They would be needed soon enough.

tomcat

Apr 03, 2007, 11:02 AM #23 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 11:06 AM by tomcat
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 03, 2007, 08:59 AM"... but getting the riders through the lines is our first concern. Otherwise, we will undoubtedly find ourselves overrun in time."

OOC: I want to clarify with you guys what appears to be a lost in translation...

There is no front line, or line that the riders of Thergas cannot get through. From the fortress to Thuidmar (the king) is nothing but open plains and about three to four days ride. The messengers sent from Thergas just have to ride down the hill and across the plain. Koskas and Harizan are not massing an offensive line between the fort and the king.

The Easterlings have merely pushed across the river and driven out all capable fighting men of Fengel's folk and now they harass the old, women, and young - steal from them, and enslave them. Along the length of the river to the Dinvuld hills is the only territory that they range. Harizan has even moved the bulk of his strength back over the river and is enjoying his booty. Koskas was left with a contingent of warriors to keep watch over their newly captured lands.

As far as the riders from Thergas disappearing, it is assumed by those that give it much thought that the wargs of Koskas range further and attack the solo (or pair of) rider(s).

If you have any other questions please ask, and I recommend you look at the map that I have posted... the red area is as far as Harizan's forces range.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

"We should ride now so that we can arrive before nightfall.  Remember the wargs that we encountered at my homestead?  They probably patrol along the river at night.  Besides we must prepare the village for tomorrow morning, since we don't know when the raiders will come."  With that Fengel approached Gareth and those that he had brought.  He made an effort to greet each one so that he would remember them if any fell in battle.  Seeing a few women in the bunch made him think of Gleowyn.  She too would have joined in the fight under these circumstances.  He made sure to bow slightly as he greeted them and to encourage them.  "We shall make the Sagath rue the day that they crossed the Donu!"  he yelled, turning to make his way to the stable to prepare his horse.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 03, 2007, 11:02 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 03, 2007, 08:59 AM"... but getting the riders through the lines is our first concern. Otherwise, we will undoubtedly find ourselves overrun in time."

OOC: I want to clarify with you guys what appears to be a lost in translation...

There is no front line, or line that the riders of Thergas cannot get through. From the fortress to Thuidmar (the king) is nothing but open plains and about three to four days ride. The messengers sent from Thergas just have to ride down the hill and across the plain. Koskas and Harizan are not massing an offensive line between the fort and the king.

The Easterlings have merely pushed across the river and driven out all capable fighting men of Fengel's folk and now they harass the old, women, and young - steal from them, and enslave them. Along the length of the river to the Dinvuld hills is the only territory that they range. Harizan has even moved the bulk of his strength back over the river and is enjoying his booty. Koskas was left with a contingent of warriors to keep watch over their newly captured lands.

As far as the riders from Thergas disappearing, it is assumed by those that give it much thought that the wargs of Koskas range further and attack the solo (or pair of) rider(s).

If you have any other questions please ask, and I recommend you look at the map that I have posted... the red area is as far as Harizan's forces range.

OOC: OK. That's kind of what I imagined; I meant to use the term "lines" only in the most general sense... past his scouts and patrols, I guess. Thanks.

tomcat

OOC: Hey all,

I want to start a new thread but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else needing done here... Edrahil seems concerned about this plan being put together, and I still need a bit more as to what you guys are going to do.

You are heading to Burh Donun... I am cool with that, but are you taking some or all of the 25 men that have gathered with Gareth? If so, are they all going to Burh Donun or what?

A little more specifics before you ride and I can put together the next thread.

Palandil

Apr 05, 2007, 09:27 AM #27 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2007, 11:34 AM by Palandil
Fengel had spoken with each of the warriors that Gareth had brought.  "I want two of the best and fastest riders ready to make for Burh Alge."  Then he looked into each ones eyes as he greeted them, then chose ten that did not have the look of fear in them.  "The rest of you will ride with the two messengers as far as need be so that they may reach Thuidmar.  If you are attacked you must engage the enemy so that the riders can get through.  Once they are on their way, return to Thergas and await our arrival from Burh Donun."  From the ten he separated those that could shoot a bow well, "You will be placed on the perimeter of Burh Donun.  Once the attack is sounded you are to take out any wargs or scouts that you may see.  Be sure to make your shots count.  We don't want any of them to report what has happened."  Fengel turned to the rest of the company, "We will ride south around Burh Donun and enter from the south so that no evidence of us being there will give our plans away.  Prepare your horses we ride within the hour!"

tomcat

OOC: Very cool!  ;)

Loof for the next post this evening.