• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 10:45 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The plan

Started by tomcat, Mar 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 27, 2007, 03:53 PM Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 03:59 PM by tomcat
It was mid-morning when Fengel, Gareth and Durgil rode back into Thergas. Weariness hung on their shoulders as they slid from their saddles and looked forward to getting some rest. Dirnhael and Edrahil came out to greet the trio to find out what they had learned only to see that it was not the time - it would be better to let the three men sleep first.

And so they did.

The morning passed into afternoon with the Company performing different functions to assist the Éothraim for whatever might come. Nain had cleaned up the smithy and made it more efficient, impressing the resident blacksmith as he did. Edrahil and a reluctant Galudir saw to the few remaining folk who were sick and aided also in the removal of those that had passed in the night. Dirnhael sat in the fort's main headquarters staring at the maps and waiting for his sleeping friends to wake up. His wait lasted until two in the afternoon when Fengel entered the room, looking that he could use another few hours sleep.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: Can you give me a run down of what Fengel saw so I can express that to the company?

tomcat

OOC: I am not going to type out a reiteration of the To find Koskas, but I will point everyone there to get an idea of what Fengel and Durgil saw.

To find Koskas
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Nain was proud of his work.  The small forge had been a mess when he'd come in the night before, with hammers and forms scattered everywhere.  He'd set about immediately setting things right, making the place workable for a Dwarf.  The Smith here might not appreciate the height at which he'd hung most of the equipment but he couldnt really help being so tall.  As the dawn broke and his companions came back he was just finishing up.  He clapped his hands together to dust off the loose soot and grime and walked out to greet them. 

"Welcome back.  Anything interesting out there?"

Palandil

Mar 28, 2007, 08:21 AM #4 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2007, 08:24 AM by Palandil
Fengel walked over to his friends, still shaking off his tiredness.  "Durgil estimated Koskas has a about 10 wargs, and 35 men.  We also saw chariots and wains.  They are holding some of my people in a pen, which I do not think are mere captives."  A flash of anger entered his mind at the thought of his people being made food for wargs, even though that thought was not backed up by observation.  "We found a good place to spy on them and possibly attack the camp if they send out any troops.  Though the wargs may get our scent."

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Mar 28, 2007, 08:21 AM
Fengel walked over to his friends, still shaking off his tiredness.  "Durgil estimated Koskas has a about 10 wargs, and 35 men.  We also saw chariots and wains.  They are holding some of my people in a pen, which I do not think are mere captives."  A flash of anger entered his mind at the thought of his people being made food for wargs, even though that thought was not backed up by observation.  "We found a good place to spy on them and possibly attack the camp if they send out any troops.  Though the wargs may get our scent."

Dirnhael pondered this. Based on what he had learned from Eorlas, they simply didn't have enough fighting men to simply assault the encampment, and with the wargs' speed and ability to close, even a diversionary tactic would be incredibly risky.

"Did you notice any pattern to their patrols?" he asked.

Perhaps if they could pick off a few stragglers at a time, they could thin the Easterlings' ranks somewhat and generate a bit of fear - which could be used to their further advantage.
The problem with this plan is that any attack on a patrol would have to be wholly successful - even one Easterling returning to their encampment could betray them all.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil mulled over the statement Fengel made about his people not being just prisoners; out of respect, he felt it would be best to talk to him in private first about the abused woman before it was mentioned to the others what he saw.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Eorlas shook his head when he heard Fengel's report, "Even though we have a stronger force within Thergas, it is madness for me to send forth the warriors I have. One does not feel the sting of the wasp that is left to itself."

The companions that stood about could hear the despair and finality in Eorlas' will to fight. Surprisingly, the counter argument came from Gareth, "And while we sit here idle, the thief picks our house clean! Surely we will not feel the sting as long as we sit atop this mount and only watch! I say it is time that Harizän feels the touch of our barb!"

"Watch your mouth boy! The impetuous fires of youth may burn within, but wisdom escapes you," Eorlas rebuked Fengel's cousin.

Ignoring the elder warrior, Gareth turned to Fengel, "Cousin, I say it is time that you take up the lead of Thergas. With you and your companions, we may bring the attack to Koskas and even to Harizän if need be! I know that the Easterlings range our native lands in small groups. They terrorize our folk that still reside on the plain below and purge them of foodstuffs and livestock. I say we set traps within our kin-folk's settlements and slay the invaders as they come to rob each."

"Nonsense," said Eorlas as he shook his head. "You consign them and our warriors to death for such stunts."

Gareth seemed to pay no heed to Eorlas and stared at Fengel with a peircing gaze, "What say you cousin?"

OOC: Actions - and  / or - Dialogue?

Stefan

"Much as I hate the thought of sneaking around a battle, there is some wisdom in the boy's words.  We cannot fight them head on unless we thin their ranks first and his idea has merit."

Palandil

Mar 30, 2007, 04:02 AM #9 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2007, 05:42 AM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Mar 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
Eorlas shook his head when he heard Fengel's report, "Even though we have a stronger force within Thergas, it is madness for me to send forth the warriors I have. One does not feel the sting of the wasp that is left to itself."

The companions that stood about could hear the despair and finality in Eorlas' will to fight. Surprisingly, the counter argument came from Gareth, "And while we sit here idle, the thief picks our house clean! Surely we will not feel the sting as long as we sit atop this mount and only watch! I say it is time that Harizän feels the touch of our barb!"

"Watch your mouth boy! The impetuous fires of youth may burn within, but wisdom escapes you," Eorlas rebuked Fengel's cousin.

Ignoring the elder warrior, Gareth turned to Fengel, "Cousin, I say it is time that you take up the lead of Thergas. With you and your companions, we may bring the attack to Koskas and even to Harizän if need be! I know that the Easterlings range our native lands in small groups. They terrorize our folk that still reside on the plain below and purge them of foodstuffs and livestock. I say we set traps within our kin-folk's settlements and slay the invaders as they come to rob each."

"Nonsense," said Eorlas as he shook his head. "You consign them and our warriors to death for such stunts."

Gareth seemed to pay no heed to Eorlas and stared at Fengel with a peircing gaze, "What say you cousin?"

Suddenly Fengel felt the pressure that was not usually his to feel.  He had never been a leader of men, though he had learned a lot about good leadership from his friend Dirnhael.  Fengel looked at Eorlas, he could see that the situation had overcome this once great captain, but no hope could be seen in his face now.  The will to fight that was in his cousin was also in him.  He knew that the only way to find his sister would be to fight, and the Sagath would suffer his wrath for taking her.  "Eorlas, I am not in any position to assume command of your men, and I will not over step my bounds.  However my company are not under the command of Thergas.  I will not sit by, while many of my friends have already been slain or taken.  Our people are in peril every day that we wait for word from Thuidmar.  As long as I have breath I will fight for my people! It is time to take the fight to Koskas!"  Fengel turned to his long time friends, "We will plan strikes against the enemy."  He could feel Gareth's enthusiasm, and knew that more of the warriors of Thergas would follow.

tomcat

OOC: This is starting to have the ring of Braveheart to me.   ;D

tomcat

Quote from: PalandilFengel turned to his long time friends, "We will plan strikes against the enemy."  He could feel Gareth's enthusiasm, and knew that more of the warriors of Thergas would follow.

OOC: This is an awesome post Paul, but please follow it up with another post posing what your plans will be to strike the enemy - and also how you would like to rally more of the men of Thergas behind you.

Thanks!
  ;D

sdrotar

"The enemy builds its strength while we wane," Dirnhael said to Eorlas. "Time grows shorter - patience is not your friend in these days."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Fengel hoped that Dirnhael's words would motivate Eorlas.  Never-the-less, Fengel was resolute in attacking the enemy.
"Gareth, have you seen any regularity in the incursions of Koskas's men?  And about how small of a band do you think they move in?"

tomcat

"The Easterlings pillage our folk in groups of eight to ten," said Gareth. "We haven't seen this directly, but it is what has been reported by the stragglers that flee from the vale and come here to Thergas."