• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 17, 2024, 08:24 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Morning discoveries

Started by tomcat, Sep 25, 2006, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palandil

Fengel stood next to the rope and the tree it was tied to, to insure its safety.  He watched as one by one his companions decended, then followed suit.

Climb TN: 10
Climb+1; Nim+1
Roll(2d6)+2: 5,3,+2,+5 for rope Total:15

tomcat

Oct 06, 2006, 12:03 PM #31 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006, 12:07 PM by tomcat
Edrahil could immediately see the structure... or what was left of it. Draped in ivy and with a carpet of fern, the house's walls were still standing in a few places, columns stood in others, not 40 feet from the stairs. The path from the base of the precipice continued on to disappear in the overgrown ruin. The organic architecture was still quite obvious to the eye, and they all knew it had been created by the hands of the Eldar. The Sindar mage thought it must have been very beautiful once upon a time.

The cliff wall that rose behind him continued back towards the rising height of the mountain and the roaring sound of a waterfell could be heard, and the fine mist of it could be felt and seen hanging in the air. The area felt like a grotto, although it was no true cave. As the Elf moved closer, he heard Durgil following along, while the rest of their comrades came down behind them. Edrahil looked over his shoulder to Durgil and pointed at what used to be an archway, all the while the Dúnadan flexed and rubbed his aching body.

Through the arch and beyond, weaving between the trees that had sprung up within the old house, the two walked further. The falls were now revealed to them. The fast moving ice melts tumbled down over green moss covered stones, and splashed into a very large clear pool that would have made up the back side of the Elven home. Edrahil could see the remains of the wood that once made a deck - it probably had been a back porch area over the water.

Never one to alter the land around them to any great degree, still the Noldor Lord who would have once lived here probably had removed some of the tumbled stone so that the falls would have been less violent. "Then again, thought Edrahil, "Maybe not."

What Edrahil had yet to reveal to anyone was that he felt an old power emanating from the place... not threatening, but still present.

Lost in his memory, Edrahil heard Durgil speak, "Edrahil, look!"

Edrahil turned to the noble youth and looked to where he pointed. Laying amongst the soft ferns and blanketed in mists, was a Dunlending youth. A girl!

They then noticed that she was not alone. Other forms laid about, although it was evident with some that they had succumbed to the sickness that was plaguing those folk.

Edrahil wondered how, and why, they had all come to this place. He remembered the elder speaking of his folk disappearing in the night. The Elf was then struck with another realization... yellow flowers grew close to the forest floor all about the ancient home - Ephanial flowers!

OOC: Actions - and /or - Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Galudir remained above ground with the horses; he wanted no part of ancient elven mysteries. Finding a soft patch of ground, he sat down and laid back on an unyielding tree trunk. Uprooting a clump of grass, he tore the blades into pieces and tossed the mulch over his back. The fresh smell of the torn grass filled his nose while the low forest sounds soothed his mind. It was peaceful, but dull. Too alert to sleep and too bored to sit and wait, the young rogue walked over to the cliff and called out to the explores below. "Have you found anything yet?"

Stefan

Not terribly overwhelmed with trust for their new companion and feeling somewhat responsible for his presence in their midst, Nain decides to wait at the top if the cliff as well.   He looks down on the rest of the group and waits for them to return or at least respond to the rogues shout.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil doesn't move towards the people, not wishing to disturb them, but also due to Edrahil's response to something over there.  "What is it?  What do you see?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: I am going to give it another night here for the other 4 players to make a response before I reply for said characters to move the story on. I am not taking over any characters, but 3 of our players are waiting on response from the others and it is going on 4 days now.

So, I am not being testy here in the least, but I do want to move on the story, so please post if you can.

Thanks!!  :D

Tomcat
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

As Fengel came to the bottom of the stair, he saw Edrahil and Durgil move onward into what appeared to have been a structure.  He looked at Dirnhael, "Those two, it seems to me, are a bit too curious."  Fengel then followed the elf.  His wariness for the spectures began to fade, as he walked through the archway.  Upon his first seeing the falls, Fengel was impressed by its beauty.  He again was amazed at the elven ability to find such wonderful places to build their homes.  His wonderment was broken as he looked to what Durgil was pointing out.  When he saw the little girl lying there he began to run to her side.  Then he noticed the others that looked quite dead.  Fengel stopped suddenly.  Was this the dreaded plague that they had already fought or some other sickness.  He turned to Edrahil, "What can we do here for these people?  How and why are they here?"

tomcat

Oct 10, 2006, 11:25 AM #37 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006, 01:48 PM by tomcat
Edrahil kneeled down by the young girl and placed his hand upon her forehead. She was burning with fever and her body was soaked with sweat, even though she shook from chills. The Sindar then reached his hand out towards a golden yellow flower that grew close to the ground, plucking the bud from its stem.

Holding it up to Durgil, Edrahil spoke, "It is Ephanial, a flower that bloomed in the ancient lands of Beleriand, but had survived that land's destruction. I did not know the flowers grew in this land. Elrond only spoke of those that grew in the north lands of the old Dúnedain kingdoms."

Those Company members that had made the original journey from Cardolan nodded in memory of the counsels of the Master of Rivendell the winter before. Dirnhael took count and realized that only three of that original company remained.

Edrahil continued, "T'would seem it was brought forth by the Noldor and it bloomed within the realm of Hollin as well."

He set the flower down and his attention fell back on the sick around them, "Yes Fengel, it would appear that the Dunlendings suffer from the same sickness that ravaged the north. I can only surmise that something called these people to this place to find their cure.. though what called them, I cannot venture to guess."

It was then that the distant voice of Galudir was heard, descending from above, inquiring about their find. Dirnhael turned and yelled in reply, "We have found the missing folk from the Dunlending settlement! We may need more assistance... we'll let you know!"

Around the Company, there were a total of eleven Dunlending folk, of which only three still lived.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

BrianM

Oct 10, 2006, 12:59 PM #38 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006, 01:39 PM by BrianM
Edrahil removed his cloak and placed it over the young girl. Turning to his comrades, the elf said "There is naught to be done for the others, but these three might yet be saved. Gather some buds from the yellow plants and bring them to me. I will need the saddlebags from my horse." He turned his attention to his patients, hoping that there was enough time to counteract the effects of the plague.

[ooc] Apologies for not replying. I have been quite ill over the past few days and haven't been checking my computer at all.

Question: Is the preparation of the Ephaniel plant a lengthly process before it can be used as a treatment? I don't think I've read exactly what Edrahil does with the plant to treat people afflicted with the plague.

Cheers,
Brian

tomcat

Oct 10, 2006, 07:08 PM #39 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 11:58 AM by tomcat
Quote from: BrianM[ooc] Apologies for not replying. I have been quite ill over the past few days and haven't been checking my computer at all.

Question: Is the preparation of the Ephaniel plant a lengthly process before it can be used as a treatment? I don't think I've read exactly what Edrahil does with the plant to treat people afflicted with the plague.

OOC: Hey Brian, first of all no problem with the delay... I hope you were not upset by my posting for Edrahil this last post.

Second, to answer your question... the Ephanial plant is brewed and administered. The mechanics of it are as follows:

The Plague causes the loss of Vitality until the person dies (at 0 Vitality), slowly weakening as it fills their lungs with fluids. Fevers are a symptom along with dehydration.

1) Sick character loses 1d3 Vitality per day, may make a Stamina Test TN 20 to negate the Vitality loss. Though they may successfully avert the loss, they are still carrying the sickness. The character may spend no more than half of his Courage points on any test. When a character is reduced to 0 Vitality, they expire.

2) Healers may make a Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 per day, which grants:
- an additional Stamina Test TN 15 to avert that days Vitality loss; Though they may successfully avert the loss, they are still carrying the sickness.
- allows victim to make a Stamina Test TN 20 to rid themselves of the plague (see below*)
- sick character need only make one roll for both tests above and may apply results based upon the modified die roll
- If Healing test is a Superior Success, reduce above tests by 1
- If Healing test is a Extraordinary Success, reduce above tests by 3
- Each Healing test is a full days care

3) For each loss of 1/5 of a character's Vitality reduces them 1 wound level

4) With Ephanial, all tests are reduced by 5

5) *The plague requires an extended Healing test to cure. When the Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 test is successful and then the character makes the additional TN 20 Stamina test, if it also is successful, the character gains back 1 Vitality point. When the character has been restored to his original Vitality, he will be cured of the plague.

6) After being cured, the character needs to roll 1d3 and permanently reduce their Vitality. This is a 'scarring' from the disease.

Example of tests needed:

Day 1:

Sick character makes a Stamina TN 20 test- Roll (2d6)+5: 3,6, +5 Total: 14 FAILED, loses 1d3 Vitality

Healer comes along and makes a Healing Test TN 15 Roll (2d6)+8: 3,6, +8 Total: 17 SUCCESS

This grants the victim an additional Stamina Test TN 15 to negate the Vitality loss for that day, plus a chance (TN 20) to beat the plague. If the success had been greater, the healer may have conveyed additional bonuses.

If Ephanial is in the hands of the healer, all of the test's TN's the healer must attempt are reduced by 5.

The young child's Vitality is currently a 4, her Stamina is +1.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Im sorry I don't recall if the dead remain contagious, so someone stop him if it is so...

While the others see to the living, Durgil shall tend to the dead.  He calls up to Galudir for his assistance.  "We have nothing to cover or prepare the dead with, but they must be returned to their people.  Help me bring them up out of here."  Hefting one of the bodies to his shoulder and grabbing the rope to steady him, Durgil begins the slow task of moving the dead out.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Oct 11, 2006, 04:53 AM #41 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006, 07:47 AM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Matt, the bodies will be contagious still, but I like the honor that Durgil is paying the deceased... so, maybe the magic of Middle-earth will grace the company here to assist them in returning the fallen to their families.  ;)

Then again, maybe this is considered an ancient form of biological warfare in an insidious plot to bring the Dunlending settlement down!  :o

hee hee hee....

No, we'll go with the former.  :D

[EDIT:] I am going to wait on Nikitas post to see if he will be an active participant before I move this on with a new post.

BrianM

Oct 11, 2006, 12:18 PM #42 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006, 12:20 PM by BrianM
Quote from: tomcat on Oct 10, 2006, 07:08 PM

OOC: Hey Brian, first of all no problem with the delay... I hope you were not upset by my posting for Edrahil this last post.

Second, to answer your question... the Ephanial plant is brewed and administered.

[ooc] No problem posting for Edrahil ... feel free to jump in when you need to. :)

Will Edrahil make a separate healing roll for each of his three patients? (too bad I used up all my remaining courage on the Sense Power roll :()

[ic]

As he tends to the three Dunlendings who still live, Edrahil speaks to his comrades. "We must get a fire going. It will warm the three that are afflicted, and I need it to prepare the Ephanial. Nain, your skills would be most helpful."

Nikitas

Climb Test TN 10:
1d12= -
Strength (+2), Skill Ranks (+2), Rope (+5)
0+2+2+5= 9

Given that Galudir will not fall even if he rolls a 1 I didn't make any rolls, let me know if you want me to roll anyway TC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once Galudir heard the news from the company he started to climb down the cliff. "Well dwarf, what do you say we go make ourselves useful?"

Carefully sliding down the rope, Galudir arrived in the ancient elven home where the rest of the company had found the Dunlendings. When Durgil asked for the rogues' assistance, Galudir was rather hesitant, "Move the dead bodies? Maybe it would be best to leave them where they are? It's a nice enough resting place don't you think?" From the look on Durgil's face Galudir could see that he did not agree at all, and so the rogue began helping the noble.

Stefan

Climb TN 10
Str (+4), Rope (+5)
1d12 rolls 10,4,6

Hearing Edrahil's suggestion of a fire Nain turns to Jethro and gives him an apple.

"Wait here, I'll be back shortly, theres some grass over there if you get hungry."

He then follows the rogue down the rope and begins gathering kindling and looking for a good place to build a fire.

"Thermon, gather some wood for the fire if ya would, lets get these folks warmed up."

Survival TN?
Pers (+2), Race (+4)
1d12 (+6); 9+6=15