• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 08:33 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Foothills Redux

Started by Eclecticon, Sep 14, 2022, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: Wait up - I want to see what Matt does before advancing things any further.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Lightly as only an elf can be, Gwaitlim makes his way up the hillside to join with the others. "Regardless of our path, the Shadow makes its presence known for other torog are..." his voice trails off as he finally sees what the Men have been yammering about. "I hend-o belegoth!" he spits in a white fury.  "That is a relic of the our greatest foe -- the one to whom the throne of Barad-dur was but a servant.  That *must* come down but touch it little lest its power corrupts.  Find whatever you can to break it.  It is little wonder the dark creatures have flocked to this area."

:ooc: Hmmm can luck prevail?
 :00:
Craft -  1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 1, total 5

If either Enemy of Sauron/Elven-lore can help with this as well, take all the help we can get.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Welp, that's where trusting to luck gets you
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: I think that is a whole lotta nothing for all of us! Not one success to be seen, and an hour spent doing it. Okay, if it is still eligible, I will spend the :vv: on my last Craft test which should give us one success. Now for another...

Esgalwen continued to bring log and branches to the base of the cliff, helping to hand each up to the Men and Elf above, in hopes that one of the pieces would have the strength to topple the totem.

TN 14 craft 2d
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: And BAM! :g: :%: With bases loaded and two outs, she comes through with the clutch.

I am not sure but that might be 2 successes? That would make 3 if my :vv: was allowed on her previous attempt. If not, I will update my sheet and put the point back. :csu:
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Sep 27, 2022, 12:03 PM #35 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2022, 03:55 PM by Eclecticon
Though the soil is hard and the stones many and large, still the company manages to dig the standing stone out until its base is revealed.  Back and hands sore, Arbogast stands and stretches, regarding the efforts of his friends to find timbers to lever the stone from its resting place.  These, however, have been fruitless.  Examined closely, the trees that grow so close to this waypost of the Shadow are sickly things, and their branches crack and crumble beneath the hands of Men and Elf, let alone the stress of toppling the stone. 

At last, however, Esgalwen returns with several long branches across her shoulder and triumph plain on her face.  "I've found a Rowan tree, ripped from the ground by a troll I'd wager.  These branches were snapped off, and their wood is strong but supple.  More could be shaped and sharpened with the firewood hatchet."   

:ooc: In fact, it's four successes with Esgalwen's Hope spend, three without - Arbogast led off with a completely unexpected success

EDIT: I should've added that I've :csu: - ed Esgalwen's sheet for the AP for the second roll.  Doug, let me know if you still want to spend the Hope point - it'll mean another AP but, y'know, also spending Hope. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"The ranger finds a way!" This seems a better tool than our meager efforts. I have not the skill apparently, but direct where I should push and pull and I am at your service."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, now your roll and Hathcyn's reaction fit into the story. 

I'll drop in another roll for Arbogast, too:
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Despite the use of sturdy levers, another half-hour of heaving and struggling establishes that the stone will not move without more of the hard-packed soil being removed from beneath it.  Cursing and sweating even in the mountain air, the companions take up their crude digging tools once again. 

:ooc: So, part way through hour two, you have three (possibly four - Doug, let me know!) successes, with Esgalwen and Gwaithlim still to roll. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I would prefer saving her :vv: as Rangers get back so little. I know it puts more strain on the task, but I have to be wary.

My sheet on my end has the point back and she has her 11 :csu:

Let me know if she is allowed to test again.

tomcat

Pulling her rope from the pack on her back, Esgalwen wraps it around the totem and pulls it taut in the opposite direction of the lever. The Ranger made to stand just out of the way of any pieces that might roll down towards her and she called to the Elf, "Gwaithlim - aid me in pulling as the others try to topple the stones."

[<
TN 14 craft 2d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

tomcat

Sep 28, 2022, 04:22 AM #41 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2022, 04:24 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Damn! this world really wants her to spend her resources! All right - I commit to one for sure. My Hope score is back to 10 :csu:

That should have us at 4 successes in two hours (?)

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim offered a prayer to Aule for strength and Elbereth for courage as he put is ageless back to the task.

:ooc:
 :00:
Craft -  1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 4, total 7

I'll toss a Hope if it will help; this is a task demanded of him by his soul.
Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Invoking Skill of the Eldar brings my roll to a great success at minimum because of rolling a  :g:
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: Nice! Great success - does that make 6 total?