• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 11:41 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Goblin Hole

Started by tomcat, Apr 20, 2020, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Just a note, Paul - the materials in this trove are not all directly from Laketown. Some of it might have been taken from Dale caravans, or some out of Dorwinion, or even stuff that might have transited the newly opened Dwarf Road.

I am also playing it that the people of Lake-town still rely on the safety of the water and venture only so far beyond that safety - kind of like under the previous ruler. The town is still trying to shake off that 'yoke' from their mindset... if that makes sense.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Save for the soft mumbles, Grimbeorn was not able to make out any content of what was being spoken. Still, the sounds he did hear revealed that the number of goblins in this warren was far more than the six they watched leave, and the two they had killed. It was apparent to the Beorning that this tunnel led back into a probable maze of said tunnels. He looked back over his shoulder to his companions to see them pressing behind his lead.

Suddenly a squeaky voice cut from the dim passage ahead, "Skorb! Why's don't you bring me some of those chicken eggs we have up there? Getting a little hungry and the chief won't let us off watch!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: time for a new Stealth roll (companions) - Awareness roll (orcs)...

TN 14 opposed stealth by PC
:00: Arbogast 2d 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7

:00: Grimbeorn 0d 1d12 : 8, total 8

:00: Hathcyn 2d 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 6, total 11

:00: Laeral 3d 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 4, total 10

Orcs...
TN 14 opposed awareness 2d
:00: goblin 1 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

:00: goblin 2 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 3, total 4

tomcat

Apr 29, 2020, 06:57 AM #18 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2020, 07:03 AM by tomcat
The voice suddenly changed, "Hey... what's going on up there? Sounds like a troop of Uruks comin' down the hall. Did the raiding party get back already?"

Grimbeorn knew it was he that had betrayed their position. Try as he might, the large Beorning could not move as quietly as his companions.

The air seemed to shift a bit and the Company knew that whomever's voice came down the passage was now approaching.

"What's did they find out there so soon?" said another voice that rang louder as it came closer.

A Goblin Hole - Round 1

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 29, 2020, 05:07 AM:ooc: Just a note, Paul - the materials in this trove are not all directly from Laketown. Some of it might have been taken from Dale caravans, or some out of Dorwinion, or even stuff that might have transited the newly opened Dwarf Road.

I am also playing it that the people of Lake-town still rely on the safety of the water and venture only so far beyond that safety - kind of like under the previous ruler. The town is still trying to shake off that 'yoke' from their mindset... if that makes sense.

:ooc: Sure - I was thinking the same things.  Arbogast has seen the difference between his experience and how the Men of the Lake live up close, now, and his Resentful trait is bubbling up again.  Is it rational?  Absolutely not.  But it's there. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: Doug, I'd like to back up a bit and see what I can learn using Orc Lore. I'd like to get an idea of orgin, tribes, structure etc.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Arbogast looked about and saw how easily the store room could be converted into a defensive position, but even as he made his mental preparations, Grimbeorn charged forth and swung his axe.

The sound of two thumps were heard, like bags of flour hitting the ground, as the bodies fell headless. Grimbeorn gave a grunt and looked back to his companions with a content grin.

AlyC

-ooc- was Laeral able to hear anything?

Eclecticon

:ooc: While we wait for an answer, I'll keep the story ticking forward.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Arbogast looks to Laeral.  "Lady, you are fleet of foot in the manner of your folk.  Will you go ahead and see what may be seen without revealing yourself?"

He then turns to the two Beornings. "We should build a barricade.  Should we find ourselves hard pressed as we have been before, we shall retreat here."

Character sheet

AlyC

Happy to oblige the human, Laeral begins to slink quietly along the wall.

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Aly, to answer your question above - your narrative said that Laeral was listening down the corridor to hear what she could. If you give me any narrative action, follow it up with a test roll of the appropriate skill - or let me know you are using a specialty to gain the auto-success of TN 14. In this case, she would need to give me an Awareness test. With your most current post, I would also need a Stealth check - or you can tie the stealthy movement to your Burglary specialty... but then use that in your narrative, too.

I hope that makes sense. I will roll both tests, just in case...

TN 14 awareness 3d
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 4, 3, total 8

TN 14 stealth 3d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 1, total 4

tomcat

Grimbeorn and Hathcyn grabbed the ruined bodies of the two dead orcs and drew them back into the storage chamber, while Arbogast looked to see the best way to make the room defensible. With the men busy, Laeral moved quietly forward - her soft-skinned boots moving soundlessly with each step.

She followed the corridor into the shadows, her shape disappearing into each pocket of darkness, until she came to a junction. To her left came soft echoing sounds of a large group all talking among themselves in what had to be a spacious chamber. Down the right corridor could be plainly seen a forge sitting idle. Its furnace flew rising up into the earthen ceiling to be creatively and secretively disbursed somewhere outside.

The goblin's were very industrious and had delved an obviously large home.

Telcontar

Ooc: doug did you see my trait call out above? Using orc lore to get a sense of size, place, SOP, etc.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: I did see it, Tom, and like Aly's posts - I keep forgetting to give you guys results.

Sorry for the scattered brain! I have been in overdrive prepping for the annual gaming gathering with my buddies and was working on 4 one-shots to play over the four day weekend. But we just canceled due to this crap, and so hopefully my brain will get a chance to clear.

Anyway, I will get a post up as to Hathcyn's results.