• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:49 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Goblin Hole

Started by tomcat, Apr 20, 2020, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 08, 2020, 07:18 AM #30 Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:04 PM by tomcat
Hathcyn looked at the four dead orcs. Three were smaller - and more commonly called goblins - but the fourth had been large and cruel. It reminded him of those that they had faced along the banks of the Anduin a few months past, when they had chased them from the playing fields.

Though loathsome, the yrkks could never not be called industrious. The chambers and tunnels were cut and reinforced with wood from the forest. The workmanship was crude, but it was sturdy. That made this warren a permanent place - home to the smaller tribe that was present. Hathcyn knew these foul-folk took a chieftain as their leader for the local tribe, but they would answer the call of those greater than themselves. Hence, the Uruks had come and taken shelter.

The tribal markings on the goblins reminded Hathcyn of those they had run off many times while working on the Dwarven road. These forest goblins were plenty around the region of the Mirkwood mountains. This place made it evident that a group broke from the primary tribe and came here to settle near the lands of Men... apparently to steal what they could.

With what he saw, the Beorning knew that this would not be a small warren - and that it might even connect to those further away via underground passages.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, that changes things up a little - I hadn't counted on the prospect of reinforcements.  Still, I say we press on and do what we can.  If we're quick and thorough enough, they might not get the word out and this can be a goblin tribe that just mysteriously vanished.

Aly, does Laeral want to press on solo or come back and recount what she knows to the group?
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

AlyC

May 09, 2020, 10:33 PM #32 Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:39 PM by AlyC
-ooc- All good Tomcat. I'm still learning how to play. It may be a little rough for a bit. Sorry guys!

GandalfOfBorg

"If there are too many found here, we may need to retreat and return with reinforcements," mused Grimbeorn quietly. "We keep finding more surprises around every corner."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

"there will be a point when we wont encounter them only a couple at a time. And there will be no safety for us in flight if the stars still shine when we exit the ruin. We should be very careful on how hard we kick this nest."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

"Nonetheless, having come this far we must see what else awaits us."  Arbogast gestures toward the body of the dead Uruk.  "If such creatures are joining the slighter goblins of the wood, there will be some method behind it." 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will hold off advancing the story until I hear from Aly regarding Laeral's movement down the tunnel, deeper into the warren. I need her to give me what the Elf is doing and how far she will explore before I can present new details.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'll follow her up, but I know she's getting ready to move house this weekend so it probably isn't her top priority.

Character sheet

AlyC

May 12, 2020, 02:13 PM #38 Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:17 PM by AlyC
Laeral returns to the group - There are several bands of goblins within this warren.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, let's get down to brass tacks here - assuming we don't want to run away with our tail between our collective legs, we have a choice between going right (into a quiet forge) or left (into a large room and a likely target-rich environment).  My personal vote is to check the forge out first, if only to make sure we aren't leaving enemies at our backs. 

Anyone else got an opinion?

Character sheet

AlyC

-ooc- I'm good with not being attacked from multiple sides

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
You all can check out that side while I cover the intersection.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Arbogast looks over his improvised barricade.  He is no craftsman, but he believes it sturdy enough to provide some protection if they can keep the press of orcish numbers from toppling it.

His work done, he considers what Laeral has told of the next passages.  With a nod to Grimbeorn as the great Man moves to guard the intersection, he goes in the direction of the forge. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn searches among the stores for any oil or flammable liquids. Oh, and human wine.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

AlyC

Laeral silently follows behind Arbogast to provide cover.