• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:00 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Ghost Hall - Arbogast

Started by tomcat, Mar 15, 2019, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 15, 2019, 07:48 PM Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 07:25 AM by tomcat
Situation: The company has entered the Hall of Ghosts

Encounter/Combat Advantage dice:
• Arbogast 1/1 die

Situation Modifiers:
• The Hall has Initiative
• Encounter Tolerance is 1/5

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• none

PC/NPC PARRY :+~:ARMOUR :<>:HOPE :vv:END :<3:STANCE
Anar
Arbogast
Grimbeorn
Hathcyn

5 (shield n/a)
6 (shield +3)
4/7 [giant strength] (shield +4)
4 (shield n/a)

3d (helm n/a)
2d (helm +1)
2d (helm n/a)
2d (helm n/a)

8/8
11/16
5/12
10/13

12/30 WEARY
13/26 WOUNDED
15/31 MISERABLE
23/29

Defensive
encounter TN
encounter TN
Forward

ENEMY PARRY ARMOUR HATE END NOTES
Hall of Ghosts

2d

2/10

31/40
• none

STANCES

Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward Stance maneuvers
:<>:Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open Stance maneuvers
:<>:Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive Stance maneuvers
:<>:Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1

TN 12+ parry
Rearward Stance maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents Athletics roll. On success,
may safely flee from the scene of combat

Arbogast passed through the door of the longhouse and all was dark within - a darkness that belied the world outside. The sun was going down, the night almost upon them, but surely the sparing light of day would have made bright the cracks that were in the walls. The Fire-watcher turned to where the door was, but he could not see out... the exit was gone.

CLUNK!

A distant sound as if a door closed.

Arbogast stumbled back the way he came, but there was no walls. No door. No light.

Blackness surrounded him and he cried out to his friends on the outside. Surely they could hear him!

No answer came in reply.

Suddenly, he was aware of a change in the pitch blackness. A glow came from behind him and he turned to face whatever it may be. The glow reached out from a center point, but seemed to be absorbed by the thicker darkness around. Within the glow was a man - or at least the shape of a man. He was tall and armored, and upon his head was a helm.

Why did you forsake me? whispered the shape.

Arbogast could see the man clearer now - his armor, the sword in his hand, and the helm. It was that which Rorin had crafted years past. The shape was Ceawin of Sunstead! Or was it? No...the armor and helm were his, but the face within was pale and drawn, the eyes gave off a faint glow of green. The eyes that stared out were undead - they were those of the undead horror that lived under the hill. The terrible spirit that the company had fought in the barrows of the East Bight.

Have you come to finally pay homage? Or have you come for my helm? The second question was a harsh whisper and the shape was suddenly charging the Woodman, his sword raised high to attack.

:ooc: While you are outside, you may only read this post. Paul is the only one who may post in this thread.

Arbogast has initiative, although I do need to make a couple starting rolls which I will do in a new reply.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: a couple tests:

FEAR
TN 16 valour 4d
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 2, 6, 4, total 14

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: It was only 1 test, actually, and Arbogast crushed it!

Eclecticon

"Hold, fell shade," Arbogast calls, raising an empty hand before him as his other grips the handle of his uncle's shield, "for no tomb-thief am I!" 

:ooc: I'm going to roll Awe (I'm guessing that's the appropriate skill) to try to get this thing to back off and not attack.  If it does anyway, well that's what a shield is for. 

:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7

[<
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Mar 16, 2019, 04:26 PM #4 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2019, 04:28 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Great success!*  That's got to be worth something, right?

If it's not clear, I'm trying to turn this into a social Encounter, rather than a fight. 

Provisional :csu:.  If the roll was a failure, I'll amend my sheet appropriately. 

*Assuming an Attribute score of 7 or less, if we're going by the combat rules. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 22, 2019, 07:54 PM #5 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2019, 07:56 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay, Paul - if you haven't already, read the Hall of Ghosts mechanics thread.

Your Awe roll was a great success, which puts you into an Encounter with the Hall. You can attack, if you decide that is the better route, but each successful interaction will reduce the Hall's hate.

The Tolerance of the Encounter is 5.

That said, it will physically attack at you with each interaction you make...

Two-handed attack...
TN 18 longsword 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d6+8 : 2 + 8, total 10

:dmg: 5/7  edge: 10    injury: 16/18

tomcat

Arbogast heard a wicked chuckle and then, "Clever boy...you appeal to me with false words."

The spectre's longsword smashed down onto his shield. "Let us not play a game of words. Instead, accept your punishment for your selfish intent."

tomcat

:ooc: ROUND 2

As the house has the initiative on everyone, let me do the next round of attacks and you guys can then give me your actions.

We will not be doing individual rounds in this thread, but I will header my post within each with the current round number.

The spectral wight slashes with his sword...
TN 18 longsword 1d+8
Rolled 1d6+8 : 1 + 8, total 9

:dmg: 5/7    edge: 10  injury: 16/18

tomcat

Mar 23, 2019, 09:42 PM #8 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2019, 09:48 PM by tomcat
The undead creature was fast, bringing the sword back in a slashing arc even after it had been knocked away by Arbogast's shield. Still the Woodman found a way to parry.

:ooc: I changed some things...

• Arbogast is missed, as the Hall's new attack roll will be 1d6+6

Eclecticon

"You betray your ignorance," Arbogast replies, Lafdag's shield a familiar and comforting weight on his arm that deflects blows with ease, "to speak of words as a game.  No crown ever will I wear, nor jewels upon my brow or gold rings upon my hands, but this I know: words are that which bind nations together.  The promise of a husband to a wife, or a king to his followers, or of honest men to each other, these are mere words, and yet they are more.  The are sacred things that enable Middle-earth to be better today than it was yesterday, and better again tomorrow." 

The spectre-king does not let up in his attack, but the Fire-watcher's defence shows all his hard-won skill.  "Any man who would seek to rule over others and yet believe otherwise is a fool." 

:ooc: Rolling persuade to back all this up:

:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 4, total 15

Character sheet

Eclecticon

When the wight-king's reply comes, it is with a hatred so pure and dark that the words seem to tear at the world itself, as if the very fact of its continued existence were an intolerable, unspeakable insult.  "A pox on men!  A pox for their timidity!  A pox for their ingratitude!  And a pox on you, who think yourself wise, for your imbecilic defence of the indefensible!  You speak of nations.  Do you fancy that your folk were brought forth upon Middle-earth to watch the stars grow dim and the shadow to smother and snuff out all hope?  For that is all that awaits them, and the longer you struggle, the greater shall be the suffering in the end." 

Arbogast opens his mouth to call out a rejoinder, but the wight-king is faster, swinging its sword in arcs that never slow, with arms that never tire.  Arbogast is forced backwards again and again.  Then, as the Fire-watcher feels one of the supporting beams of the hall at his back, the wight-king steps back and raises its hand, shrouded by an eerie glow that shines without illuminating. 

"You cannot withstand me," it says.  "For not by your hand was I felled, and before the flames took me, I saw you bleed..."   

:ooc: The wight-king presses its attack with fell sorcery
TN 18 spell of wounding 1d+6
Rolled 1d6+6 : 1 + 6, total 7

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Mar 29, 2019, 09:08 PM #11 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2019, 09:13 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast suddenly doubles over in pain, his free hand going to his belly and feeling the slickness of fresh blood and viscera.  But when he raises his shaking fingers, they are clean of all but the sweat and grime of travel.  What he feels, he realises, is no wound, but the memory of the terrible injury he suffered in the depths of the haunted barrow.  Over the pounding of the heart and the rasping of his breath, his mind works frantically...

:ooc: Rolling Riddle (TN 16):
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 6, total 15

Character sheet

Eclecticon

... and when he raises his head, it is with the satisfied grin of one who has solved a difficult puzzle. 

"See," he raises his hand, "no blood have you shed by your sorcery.  For you know naught of blood, in the same wise you know naught of the honour of oath-makers.  For no man are you, nor were you ever, but merely a dark memory of the wood given awful life!  And in time you shall fade away to nothing, as do all memories save those that pass into song." 

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 30, 2019, 12:39 PM #13 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2019, 01:06 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Excellent, Paul! Thanks for taking up the lead on this for me.

Did you update the Hall's scores for your successes?

I will get round 4 started just after dinner (my time).

Eclecticon

:ooc: Cheers!  Everything I run turns into a horror game, given enough time, so jumping in here seemed like a good use of my skills.

And yes, all the threads' score tables are updated, ready for Hathcyn and Grimbeorn's actions.

Character sheet