• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:22 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Hunters and Quarries

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 04, 2018, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Lo!  Beneath skies high and leaden, born atop the Misty Mountains, sun a-shrounding, rain denying.
Rousing are the mighty Beornings, furor of the hunt upon them. 
Insults suffered unforgiven, steel and thunder for to answer! 

Breakfast is a rushed affair as the young warriors of the three expeditions make ready to set out.  The remainder of the guests, meanwhile, make ready to return to homes, where harvests wait ripe in the fields and herds fatten for the oncoming winter. 

:ooc: I'll set up two threads for the two parties containing PCs in a bit, but I wanted to give you a scene prior to that in case Hathcyn's nocturnal scouting changes anything. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: i'll get a post up today.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Hear now the acts of lordship undertaken by Grimbeorn Wolfslayer in the season of his father's absence. Beset with many troubles the joy of the annual games was set aside for funeral and lamentation and soon the hot pursuit of vengeance.  The thegns, tempered with caution to the young aehtling of Beorn were quick to anger, but slow to react.  While the landless and the freeholders were quick to rise in the esteem of their Chief's son sprang into action, Hathcyn Longspear a freeman of the north was one such warrior...

Hathcyn awoke from his dream journey to see that Harhold was still by his side lightly dosing.  He felt tired from the lack of real sleep, but also refreshed in a deeper way after running in the form of his ancestral animal. He was also armed with information that Grimbeorn would want to hear. The young man stretched and rinsed his mouth of sleep, rising quickly in the hall among the other sleeping guests.  The long legs of the man strode around and over the pallets of the sleeping guests to find Grimbeorn, captain of the band that Hathcyn had pledged to join the day before.

The son of Beorn was already up and the Freeman found him awake and alert, already preparing for the day.

"Grimbeorn, I have news for you gathered in the night that you would wish to hear."

The aethling of Beorn looked up and nodded, sparing no words for the new man.

"Seeing your need for information I took it upon myself to see what information could be provided and I sought the aid of my totem to go where men had not yet traveled.  I have learned that there are indeed a band of orcs in our lands. They forced a crossing of the Great River and were in great haste. They were not well supplied, but moved with great purpose. Also the charge of Merovech was found. He sleeps troubled and alone in the wild. He goes on foot and likewise is bereft of traveling gear or food in any quantity, only his youth and his hardiness have kept him going.  Mounted parties should be able to overtake them, while those on foot would be slow to close the distance."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"How many were there and are they tracking the truant?  Where along the banks was this?" queried Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: need a Loremaster assist on this one.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: I hear and obey! 

There were maybe two score orcs, who crossed right where Odo and Merovech's bodies were found.  Hathcyn isn't sure where their ultimate destination was, but they first across were beginning to scout the way east as he began following the scent. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Mar 07, 2018, 09:18 AM #6 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 02:56 AM by GandalfOfBorg
"Two score?!" Grimbeorn growls.  "This changes things and not for the better."  After a moment of thought, his mind was clear with the path forward.  "The runners will still go to the halfling home and investigate there.  With the horses available, I will lead warriors to meet these filth and rid our land of them.  I am sorry, Rorin, for I cannot let this incursion pass."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Hathcyn Longspear shrugged, "perhaps the two threads of this story are woven together if we follow them further. The goblins are a threat to all. Once they are slain if leave be given I would still render my aud to Rorin Roadmaker and the friendship and prosperity between our people."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Point of order - if you check the map, you'll see that the Easterly Inn is actually to the northeast.

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Quote from: Eclecticon on Mar 07, 2018, 01:13 PM:ooc: Point of order - if you check the map, you'll see that the Easterly Inn is actually to the northeast.

:ooc:
Now that would make sense, wouldn't it?  Statement amended./color]
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Rorin is visibly shocked at the news of orcs crossing the river, and though he tries to conceal it, his disappointment is likewise plain to see for those who know him best. 

"Nor can I ask it of you, in good conscience," he says, diplomatically.  "You must see first to your own kin, and I to mine.  I will go north with the young warriors as far as the halflings' inn, thence into the land of the Viglundings.  It may yet be that they may be made to see reason." 

At Hathcyn's words, his face brightens.  Regarding Grimbeorn again for a moment, he says "We have worked well, you and I, to strengthen the bonds between the Free Peoples of Wilderland such that a Man such as this one would volunteer to rescue Dwarves without first asking for gold and silver in return!"  To Hathcyn, he replies, "I accept your offer of aid, subject of course to my friend's leave, though I cannot imagine that it would not be granted once your current emergency has passed."

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

In a low voice, "more help than one will follow as well after the rout of these curs " assured Grimbeorn.  "Your friendship and dedication deserves no less."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

"All hail! We hunt!"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

With a thunder of hooves, Grimbeorn rides out at the head of seventeen followers, each great of heart and strong of arm.  A much smaller party shoulders its burdens and turns the opposite way, beginning the trek northward to whatever remains of the Hobbits' inn. 

Though the skies have not cleared, and the air is cool in the lungs of the pursuers, the ride to the river goes without challenge, though the young Men whoop and cry as they spur their mounts onward, racing each other towards fancied glory.  By midday, the band, led expertly by Hathcyn, arrives at the spot where Odo and Merovech were found, and where the orcs made their crossing.  Crude rafts are plainly visible on the bank, and the many tracks leave an unmistakable trail toward the east, though it diminishes rapidly in the drier ground. 

Though birds wheel far above, the riverbank is silent.  It is as if the wild things still mark the scent of orc with fear, and remain hidden. 

:ooc: I need a Hunting or Search roll (from anyone) to follow the trail.  Only TN 12 - there's quite a few orcs and they're making no attempt to conceal their tracks.  On a related note, now is a good time to sort out travelling roles! 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hunting Roll
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 3d6 : 1, 6, 2, total 9
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear