• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:22 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Reprieve

Started by tomcat, Dec 11, 2017, 08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: Wow.  With the possible exception of Grimbeorn, we're a clueless bunch! 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: talk about oblivious!

Well, just so you all know - and this has nothing to do with the awareness tests - the place is good and safe. It is a safe sanctuary that your PC's will now know of for future travels.

The water is fresh, clean, and as stated above - blessed. The following occurs if anyone drinks from the fountain (this can only happen once)

- restores 1 Hope point
- reduces FATIGUE by the value of the PC's Favoured Body score
- restores ENDURANCE by the value of the PC's Body score

I have not updated any character sheets except for Esgalwen, so feel free to do that - but let me know you have so I don't double the effect.

Esgalwen cupped her hands and the cold water filled them. She bent low and drank deeply, closing her eyes as she did. In her mind, the image of the fountain appeared and beside it stood an elegant, regal Elf woman. She was tall, and beautiful, and a mighty power was hidden within her.

In the vision, Esgalwen stepped back but the Elf beckoned her to return. Drink, she said. Let the water fill you and bring you peace. Let nothing bother you within this place, for it is protected by the power of the Elves. Rest. Heal. Let go of your burdens, if but for a while.

Esgalwen opened her eyes and saw the broken fountain. Morirúsë Stood near and the Ranger could sense a kinship between the Elf-woman in her vision, and her companion. The Noldo was aware of her vision, for he too had been visited.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Any other PC that drinks from the fountain will have a vision - it might not happen right then, but you will see the Lady if you drink.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I suppose I'll use a Hope if it will help.

Worn from the trek, the hunt, the fight, the... When he takes a draw from the spring he is mightily satisfied, more thirsty but not for water, and desirous of rest.  He just needed to stop for a time.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Arbogast responds to Morirúsë's words with a genuine smile.  "No forgiveness is necessary, for I take no offence.  The Enemy works patiently and subtly to turn each of the Free Peoples against their neighbours and friends.  None moreso, I think, than those of your people."   

Then, seeing that Grimbeorn is done, he approaches the fountain.  The water is cool and refreshing, and he takes a moment to wash his face clean.  To remain unwashed in a place such as this seems somehow disrespectful. 

:ooc: :csu: for the effects of the fountain.  Doug, is there more to come before we (presumably) rest here?  I have a little vision vignette in mind, but I don't want it to get in the way of the narrative. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I was kind of leaving it for everyone to do the narrative of how you see the Lady, and what she says to you. So, go for it - i look forward to seeing your post.

As for anything else here...no, it is a place to rest and recover. I wanted to have something in the woods that doesn't speak of constant hopelessness. The heart of the Wild speaks of these Elven holds the Elves still use in their travel.

I read somewhere that Galadriel spent time in Greenwood before Lothlorien, so I figured why wouldn't there be Noldor and Sindarin holds in the region, too.

The characters  will move on to the wolf lair after this.

Also, Matt - I will give you the Brother to Bears benefit. Sorry for the delay in that. I will post what you find tomorrow.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: ok cool, let me know ooc if it might be something I can work into my next post.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

That evening, with bellies comfortably full of mountain ewe, the Fellowship rests beneath the light of the stars.  Whether through some property of the ruin or of the nearby trees, their campfire burns with barely a hint of smoke.  As Arbogast dozes, he feels a touch, soft as a prayer, on his face.  His eyes flutter open to see an Elven lady, her mien regal but not proud, like the last of a once-great house now in much diminished circumstances but still holding to an ancient dignity and determined to offer what hospitality she may. 

The Fire-watcher opens his mouth to speak, but the lady holds a finger to her lips and gestures toward the flames.  He stares, uncomprehending, until he realises that he is watching a different fire - one so familiar that he did not think it strange to see it, even now.  For he sees the hearth of Sweartmereseld, and hears, faintly, the sounds of his kinfolk settling themselves for the night.  At last, he makes out Lindwine, eyes half-closed, face peaceful and fuller than when last he beheld her.  He is seized by a quiet joy that living has evidently been easy enough for the folk of the Black Tarn. 

Nearby, to his great surprise, he recognises Lafdag seated on the straw-covered floor, his good leg stretched out before him.  Against it rest the heads of two children, their shocks of tangled hair bright as gold in the firelight.  Barely does he recognise his own daughters, so much have they changed since he left them.  They stir fitfully beneath their furs, eyes periodically snapping open only to droop shut again, as his wife and uncle stroke their hair and sing softer and softer. 

"An ancient and affable cheese there was
That sang with a rousing din
And with rendulous rounds of wild applause
Appealed to the song within. 
Of malice or of mis-regard
In the cheese there was nary a sign
And the folk harkened to their coagulant bard
And partook of Dorwinion wine.

Oh many and myriad tales there were
Of a whisper of joy sublime,
And the song of the cheese throughout the air
Would echo at evening time.

A freebooter and his dog came by
With the affable cheese to speak
To get there they journeyed a year and a day
And waited for nearly a week. 
Of songs and of stars and of slippery eels
The dog sought answers astute
And the freebooter rested his fungible heels
As he flauted a comely flute. 

Of a whisper of joy sublime
And the song of the cheese throughout the air
Did echo at evening time.

Then rapturously and raucously,
As the bright constellations wheeled
About and about 'til the dawn broke out,
To the dog was much revealed
Of songs and of stars and of slippery eels
And of very much else besides
While the folk of the cheese danced to fabulous reels
That rang to the mountainsides. 

Of a whisper of joy sublime,
That the song of the cheese throughout the air
Might echo at evening time. 

But at last came the dawn of a morning clear
And the dog was sorely vexed
For he greatly desired to hold the cheese near
And consult it when they were perplexed.
'Sadly, my friend, I see no other way,'
Said the freebooter's dog with a frown
And thereupon swept up the affable cheese
And swallowed it swiftly down."

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: I have an exercise going on this week but I am working on a draft post in between the shiiit show. I'll try and get something up soon, but I am 100% adding to this thread.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn leans back against a stone wall, feeling weary all of a sudden.  The water was clean, cool, and refreshing much like the curious draughts of his father's home where he said they came from a secret pool in a hidden Grove known only to the bears.  This feeling also brought a sense of uncleanliness and unworthiness, something never felt by him before save being around the elf woman they saved.   His head began to nodding then droop as visions swam before his gaze.  Images of hearth and home with his mother and grandmother, of spiders and worse, and then swooning into a sea of green.  A voice called at him amongst the green miasma and once he again thought of his mother but it called him again but the voice was young and old at the same time, calm and yet firm, soft and yet full of power.  His sight cleared to where they were at the fountain and there appeared an elf woman, one he had not beheld before: tall with golden hair streaming down her shoulders, a pale glint upon her left hand.  Her eyes beckoned him and he tried to call out but nothing came from his mouth.  With a few soft steps she left the group and put her left hand upon a stone.  Not speaking with her mouth but in his mind, a word was said "Londcuil." Once again the glint upon her left showed again as lines in the stone illuminated, revealing a secret doorway.  The elf woman gave him a curious smile and the vision vanished leaving a groggy Grimbeorn and bewildered group of companions unable to fathom his odd manner.  Moriuse though had a different reaction as if he understood something.

"Did you not see the woman?  Over there by that rock?!  She spoke in my head "Londcuil" and a door appeared!" At his speaking the word though nothing happened.  Growling at his own frustration, he went over to the same place and said it again but nothing happened.  "I'm not mad, it happened... It worked." With a sigh of resignation, he unwittingly put his had upon the stone and muttered it once more and walked away.  Amazed, the companions watched as the outline of a door appeared and open while Grimbeorn had his back turned to it.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: I updated Grimbeorn and Miriruse's character sheets for the FAT and END gain from the sanctuary.

Telcontar

Moriruse recognized her immediately none who had met her, be they elf or man, could ever forget her. They starred at each other for a moment unspeaking. Neither would look away, but she broke the silence first.

"How long has it been since you have borne your true name in this world? The one who gave you that sword has long departed Middle-earth. Longer still in the hall of waiting for his deeds will he stay, with all his brothers. You were there for many of those deeds."

"As were you, as were all the folk of the Noldor who departed the west. Our exiles is the same daughter of Finarfin."

"I took no part in the slaying of kin, Oathtaker."

"I bear that burden and I do not deny it. The weight of my sin is why I am here, still fighting, and not hidden away in a sanctuary pretending that the waters of time have frozen. "

"Yet more quickly are you spent for it. Soon you will be gone and I will remain, but I am not here for that or to refight the struggles of our folk. I am here to tell you that the words of the Brown Wizard were not meant to be taken ill. Do not husband the grudges and hatreds of the past like treasure to be hoarded and possessed. If you listen his words were wisdom and a kindness to you."

The Noldo elf gazed at the sword he had placed upon the ground. The scabbard and hilt of it he had come to know every detail of through the years. He felt it missing from him, like a part of his body gone. Even though it was separated from him from so short a distance.

"Truly I have thought of his words upon this long journey and how aptly you name me Oathtaker. The oath of vengeance I followed as my Lords commanded, the oath of war against their enemies I took willingly and mean to uphold. Lord Feanor named him the Dark Enemy of the World and his servants shall not escape the punishment of their master. The time has not made their malice any less, it is only our strength to resist that has waned." 

"Your wrath against a just foe is not protection against your own stubbornness or the rebellion in your heart."

"That may be, but your stubbornness is no less than mine. Why should we be confined to an island in the sea who have been gifted all of Arda? Who will be the guard against the darkness no matter how dirty the hands that wield it?"

"Change is coming, even as the Second Born reckon events and with it a chance for hope. We who remain should prepare the way for it's coming. Good luck with your hunt blade of the House of Caranthir, but remember the faults of our folk and where they led, and remember the words of the wizard."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: We need to get this moving again.

His eyebrows raised in surprise, and no small amount of curiosity, Arbogast points out the now-open door to Grimbeorn.

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will get the story moving again tomorrow. I was waiting on Tom to get his post in, and we have been celebrating my daughter's graduation this weekend from Ohio University.

Give me the night to get settled from the weekend and to put my thoughts back into the game.

Eclecticon

:ooc: You guys look rightly proud. 

I was talking mainly to the other PC types.  It's like we all exhausted ourselves with long posts and then had to get our breath back!

Character sheet