• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:43 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 2 - Whispers of the Shadow

Started by tomcat, Aug 17, 2015, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

Properly chided, Grimbeorn sat back down as he found he was standing while questioning the wizard.  "I know naught of the way of Wizards and Elves, but still would've thought that power enough to siege would be power enough to destroy.  Pardon me my rash words."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 02, 2015, 11:33 AM #16 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 11:41 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Excellent posts, Matt!  ;)

The irony of it is that in the appendix, Galadriel does just that during the War of the Ring. This articles asks why didn't she just do it the first time...

you gotta love Tolkien for his inconsistencies and contradictions! (hence my dialogue from Gandalf stating that those powers don't exist anymore in Middle-earth, but then that Galadriel will need to reserve her powers)  (-D

QuoteSeveral strongholds of elves and men are besieged while Frodo and Sam are trudging laboriously through Mordor to Mount Doom. In particular, Lothlórien repels three such assaults before Galadriel and Celeborn finally lead a counter-offensive against Dol Guldur.

"...the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed." Appendix B, Lord of the Rings.

That last sentence has often puzzled; people wonder exactly how Galadriel might have accomplished such a task. More, why is she doing now what ought to have been accomplished when the White Council drove Sauron from Dol Guldur years before?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/04/20/70929-dol-guldurs-destruction-why-galadriel-succeeds-where-the-white-council-fails/
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Gandalf's smile returned, "No harm done, Master Beorning! Now come... let us partake in a meal and decide who will be taking this journey; then all that needs done is preparations."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 02, 2015, 11:33 AM:ooc: Excellent posts, Matt!  ;)

The irony of it is that in the appendix, Galadriel does just that during the War of the Ring. This articles asks why didn't she just do it the first time...

you gotta love Tolkien for his inconsistencies and contradictions! (hence my dialogue from Gandalf stating that those powers don't exist anymore in Middle-earth, but then that Galadriel will need to reserve her powers)  (-D

QuoteSeveral strongholds of elves and men are besieged while Frodo and Sam are trudging laboriously through Mordor to Mount Doom. In particular, Lothlórien repels three such assaults before Galadriel and Celeborn finally lead a counter-offensive against Dol Guldur.

"...the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed." Appendix B, Lord of the Rings.

That last sentence has often puzzled; people wonder exactly how Galadriel might have accomplished such a task. More, why is she doing now what ought to have been accomplished when the White Council drove Sauron from Dol Guldur years before?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/04/20/70929-dol-guldurs-destruction-why-galadriel-succeeds-where-the-white-council-fails/

She no longer needed to hide the ring and was willing to use its power.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Sep 02, 2015, 02:16 PM #19 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 08:01 PM by Eclecticon
Abashed by the wizards' response to his assumption, Arbogast sits in silence as Grimbeorn and Gandalf debate.  Nazgul, Angmar, ancient elves... these things are beyond the little he has seen of Middle Earth, and the sudden realisation of its breath and history unsettle the young Woodman. 

Still, in challenge lies opportunity.  If Radaghast is to accompany the fellowship to Dol Guldur, then Arbogast resolves to learn all he can of these things. 

In the meantime, he has counsel to offer.  For few, even if the Wise, know Mirkwood as he does.  He draws rough maps upon the wizard's table in charcoal from the fire, and speculates on where food and water might be found. 

"To Dol Guldur itself I have never been, but I am certain that I can scout the way."

:ooc: So, I'm putting Arbogast's hand up as the fellowship's scout, for Journey system purposes (he would also make a half-decent look-out man).  I'll also rely on his Mirkwood Lore for a bonus die, rather than his rather dismal Lore skill.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Posterboy

Esgalwen listened intently as the Grey Wizard made his arguments. While she felt no closer to knowing the details of their mission, she felt more confident than when she first spoke – a Wizard, and Radagast no less, in their company was a boon for sure. Even without him, though, looking around at her companions, the Ranger felt a comforting peace. Here were brave souls, indeed. She had witnessed firsthand their fierce courage and loyalty. The Wizard himself had said they possessed strength, did he not.

"I will go," Esgalwen stated with grace-filled confidence. "I have wandered the lands near our destination and heard the whispers of many folk who have seen it with their eyes. If you will allow me, it would be my honour to guide the company to the gates."

:ooc: Esgalwen's travel score is 3, which is the best of the group present, I think... and better than any of her skills in any of the other roles... not sure if Adventurous (confidence in her ability to lead) or Folk Lore (heard stories from Mogdred and his men) might help her as well?

Anyway... if needed here is Esgalwen's Lore roll for the Journey Advantages:

Lore TN: 14

Rolled 3d6 : 4, 4, 1, total 9
+
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Posterboy

Sep 02, 2015, 05:58 PM #21 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 06:00 PM by Posterboy
 :ooc: BOO!  >:p  I think I just failed that because of the feat die rolling an 11 (eye of Sauron)... not sure if maybe I can use Folk Lore (she has been listening to the men of the Southern Vale) to at least gain a success?

Hopefully, she rolls better when guiding the company!!

Bandobras

Those who have grown up in the these woods and know its nature should be the ones to lead us into the south. I am not much of a hunter, as you know. But I have keen eyes and am little noticed, so I can keep watch as we proceed.

:ooc: Bandy volunteers to be the look out. His Awareness is about the same as everyone else's. He will also roll for travel advantage.

Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9

Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9

GandalfOfBorg

"You need not ask if I will join, for who else is there to look out for you all? Orcs, spiders, whatever may be there will flee before us or be crushed," said the bold Beorning, standing confident once again. "I fear not the road that lies ahead or its destination."

:ooc: Beorn can act as hunter for advantages...
 :00:
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

:00:
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 6, 3, total 10

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 03, 2015, 11:22 AM #24 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2015, 11:43 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Thanks, guys! I am glad you took the initiative to assign yourself to the positions for journeys. I meant to ask you to do this in my last post, but I forgot.

Ayrn - I went ahead and allowed your traits to give you the ordinary success.

Results of Lore tests for Journey

PCAdvantagePosition
Arbogast1 diescout
Esgalwen1 dieguide
Bandy1 dielook-out
Grimbeorn2 dicehunter

Haven't heard anything about Rorin in a while - you still playing, disench4nted?

Stefan, let me know where you want to fit in on the journey.

I will have a post up in a bit.

tomcat

Sep 03, 2015, 12:16 PM #25 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2015, 12:27 PM by tomcat
:ooc: I have another thing to do for you guys...

The Adventuring Phase we are starting now in the Darkening of Mirkwood campaign is actually the 4th - but I merged the first and second together (meeting the Wizard's Man and the Folk-moot) into one chapter, and the third (the Questing Beast) was kind of dumb and so I ignored it (although some of the details will still happen in-story, just not by your hands). SO...that means we have missed out on two Fellowship Phases and the chance to earn AP and XP.

To keep the PC's growing at the right pace and to be able to handle the progressive challenges - I am awarding to each PC 7 AP and 8 XP to spend before we go any further in this chapter. Make sense? I know this is relatively the same amount you earned for the prior Fellowship Phase, but that phase actually covered two adventure phases and so only one was not roleplayed.

If you feel this is not enough, please chime in - I am open to your ideas.

As before, list your use of the points in a post on this thread. Once everyone is done, I will continue our story.

Thanks!

Posterboy

:ooc: Hey Doug, pages 212/213 in the One Ring Roleplaying book have the following guidelines listed for AP XP advancement:

The guideline is that each Adventure Phase takes about 3 sessions of play on average.

For AP advancement, the suggested rate is 4+ per session... or 12+ per Adventure Phase.
For XP advancement, the suggested rate is 2 per session plus 1 or 2 more per Adventure.. or 6-8 XP per Adventure Phase.

So, if what you are saying is that we have advanced through 3 adventures so far (2 combined and 1 skipped), the guideline would be 36+ AP and 18-24 XP... minus what we were already awarded (6 AP and 8 XP)... would be about 30 APs and 10-16 XP.

That sounds like alot but really isn't when you consider the costs to increase skills and wisdom/valour. 30 AP would go pretty fast... Esgalwen could raise 3 common skills from 1 to 2 and 1 favoured skill from 1 to 2

16 XP maybe goes a bit further... Esgalwen could raise her bow skill from 1 to 3, and gain another Wisdom point (or 2 Valour points)

Anyway, I suppose it depends on the challenges that the next adventure phase will bring. I haven't read through the DoM book, so I can't offer any wisdom on that.

Eclecticon

Quote from: Posterboy on Sep 03, 2015, 01:09 PM:ooc: [maths snipped]

Anyway, I suppose it depends on the challenges that the next adventure phase will bring. I haven't read through the DoM book, so I can't offer any wisdom on that.
I confess, I've read The Darkening of Mirkwood cover to cover, though not since it came out, and certainly not since we started playing.  While I will never complain about free XP, those of you who have played your share of computer games will be familiar with the idea that any time you're presented with a sudden windfall, it's a sign that you're about to get your arse kicked. 

ANYWAY!  Let's proceed with the figures from Doug, and I'll adjust later if any adjustment is necessary.  I think, given how frequently Arbogast has been trudging back and forth through the Narrows of the Forest, bumping his Travel skill up from 1 to 2 (spending my saved AP from last session) is warranted.  I'll also increase his Long Hafted Axe from 2 to 3, because there's spiders in them thar trees. 

Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Bandobras

Thanks Doug. I was not expecting any APs and XPs at this point so they are most welcome.

Bandy will spend 6XPs to increase his bow skill to 3. He'll bank the remaining 4. And since he has been cutting trees and building muscle to impress Esgalwen, he'll spend 8 APs to increase Athletics to 2, which leaves him 1 AP for later.

Bandobras

For what it is worth, here is a link to a Cubicle 7 TOR discussion on the awarding of AP and XP and it seems that 6-8 XP per adventure is pretty standard whether in face-to-face or PbP games.