• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 03:08 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC THREAD

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Just thought I should post and let you know that I'm still checking in. 

Is it worth starting a new adventuring phase to encourage folks to get posting again? 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Paul, I am going to give it another day or so to see who wants to add. I am preparing stuff for our next Adventure phase.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Bandobras

Quote from: Eclecticon on Aug 02, 2015, 09:43 PMWriting my post in the Fellowship Phase thread, got me to thinking about the possibility of re-opening the Old Forest Road as a long-term objective for the Fellowship.  There would be several Adventuring Phases worth of stuff to do (including just travelling it from end to end - no mean feat in its current state), and it seems like the increased trade would directly benefit every culture except the Rangers of Illithien (who, frankly, have bigger problems).  Could be interesting, could make us rich.  What do you think?

I like this idea very much. I am not familiar with the rules for holdings, but would such a venture constitute a holding?

Posterboy

Hey All,

I'm hoping to write for Esgalwen's fellowship phase tonight... a few questions, some for Doug, one for the group...

1) Doug, I think Esgalwen would definitely like to follow up the conversation with Mogdred about the fate of her companion rangers... I also think this might lead her to spend some time with Mogdred's group, helping him accomplish some goals (even though the folk-moot did not go his way). What possibilities exist here as far as a felllowship phase is concerned?

2) Doug, is there also a possibility to travel back to Gondor to report back? I recongnize that the road would be tremedously dangerous, but perhaps she might travel with some of Mogdred's group (maybe even establishing some type of alliance between Gondor and his clan (if their hearts don't seem too bent towards evil)? Or perhaps with another trade group?

3) Group, so, I'm trying to sort out how Esgalwen will fit into the larger story of the companions. In one sense, I know I haven't been around to really play her so she's sat in the background for most of our story so far (like a good NPC should). But in another sense, taking in the above posts by Eclecticon and Bandobras, while I think opening up the old forest road would be an awesome big goal for the group, like Eclecticon said, I'm not sure how Esgalwen will fit into that. Her mission was to see what was going on in the north, and she's acheived that (at a greater cost than she imagined). I wonder if she would now return home and focus on the war with Mordor, rather than returning back to the Woodmen? In fact, unless the Steward or her commanding officer directly commanded her to continue being Gondor's ambassador to the Woodmen, I don't think she would return. Thoughts? Because I haven't really been able to play much, I don't feel too sad to see her go and create someone who would be more concerned about the wellbeing of the North... but maybe there is a way to make it work? Like Boromir maybe, who, while questing with the fellowship, definitely had his heart set on Gondor?

Anyway... I may wait until tomorrow to post in order to get some feedback. Thanks guys!

Ayrn

GandalfOfBorg

A herald or ambassabor would fit.  Journeying not just around the Woodmen's realm but up to see Thranduil or Dain or with Grimbeorn to see his lands, and even beyond.  You could provide all manner of good will but information for Gondor.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Ayrn,
 I agree with your thoughts as you have outlined them. I think that if you went back to Gondor it would be take some work to have a reason to go back. Spending the interim years exploring the where abouts of your companions is a good idea, but that I think would be an adventuring phase in and of its.

Are you thinking of making a new character or do you want to work this one in? Doug and I can move some stuff around and accommodate you.

Doug,
 My new post to threads doesn't seem to be working right, I didn't see all the traffic here until just now.  Anyone else having that problem?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Posterboy

Tom (and company),

I'm open to either... it doesn't take too long to create a new character and, due to the fact that Esgalwen has mostly played in the background due to my personal/work schedule, I'm not so attached to her to be sad if she gets written out of the story.

I think what I'm struggling to sort out with Esgalwen is that two significant events seemed to happen in her life that seem to set her on a different path than her companions:

1) the loss of her entire company of rangers. That, I imagine, would be a pretty significant blow for her. Talk about something that would give a girl a Shadow score! I imagine that a trip back to Gondor will be pretty important to her. First, to report back on her mission. Second, to bear the news to the next of kin. Third, to be back near her father. Fourth, with the loss of her whole company, I imagine she'll be needed back home in defense of Gondor. There are already too few who stand against the darkness of Mordor.

2) the vote going against Mogdred. While she definitely has some trouble with perhaps the cold hearted tactics of him and his people, the fact that his clan avenged her people's death sits pretty high in her mind. Depending to what extent evil (or goodness) lies in the hearts of these men of Mogdred, I imagine Esgalwen at least initially willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and work at repaying a debt she can't repay back to them. When Mogdred made his request for wives for his men and such, basing his claim on the fact that peace for the Woodmen was paid for by his men's blood, I was reminded of Boromir's speech before the council. I wondered if Esgalwen, a young woman herself, might have been attracted to this man's strength and passion and commitment to crushing the minions of the Evil One, brutal as he may be. It would be interesting to role play out her relationship with Mogdred and his clan and see how that progressed. This, though, also seems divergent from the other PCs (who voted differently).

Regardless, my sense is loyalty to Gondor and her Steward who override any other desires... so if the Steward orders her to return to be an Ambassador to the Brown Wizard and the Woodmen, so be it. She will be that ambassador at her liege's command, not begrudgingly, but with a longing heart for home.

If the Steward cares not, or sees the greater concern towards Gonder's own borders, I imagine she would rather be home with her kin. In which case, creating a new character is easy enough.

tomcat

Aug 14, 2015, 06:20 PM #67 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2015, 06:35 PM by tomcat
 $OO Time for me to chime in with my two cents...

I actually would like to see the character grow within the story. I understand she has been sort of a non-player in the greater part of the first Adventure Phase, but I like the character. I will use Aragorn as my example as to why Esgalwen need not rush home - the Chieftain of the Dúnedain spent many years wandering. He was a key player in the sack of Umbar and denying Sauron that resource during the War of the Ring.

My point is, Turgon did not send her to the moot. He sent her and her companions to the southern forest to gather information. I think the loss of her companions would be one of her reasons to stay:

1) to see if any survived
2) to help in trying to clear the roads of orc raiders - especially roads that lead to Gondor
3) maybe a romantic interest in the woodman named Mogdred

Bottom line is, she was sent north to stay and find out about the woodmen. Are they allies? Can they be trusted or called on if Gondor was ever in need? Hell even so far to say - could ties be created between the forest people and the southern realm by marriage. The folk-moot was a start, not an end. It has essentially bound some people together and created spite with others. Could that be overcome?

I know that we talked about some folks (and PC's) being emissaries from their realms, but you guys know that back in the old days - emissaries would oft go to their new land and stay for very long periods of time. Communications would be sent by others back and forth.

I think Esgalwen is currently very two-dimensional - a piece of paper with some good ideas for her. I think you should take what you have and make her three-dimensional and bring her story to life.

My  $OO  
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Tom, I made some adjustments under your profile for notifications.

You also can click the notify button for the Darkening of Mirkwood board. It should be on the upper right when you open it up.

tomcat

Lastly, I will have the starting thread to our new adventure phase up this weekend. Maybe tonight, but it might be tomorrow.

Posterboy

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Let me think on it for the night... Prior to Doug's comments, I had already started on a new character. But, perhaps, I can yet find a purpose for Esgalwen.

Eclecticon

Just quickly, there's also the matter of Rivendell.  If Doug stays true to LotR canon, there won't be another alliance between Men and Elves, but Esgalwen may consider it worth a try.  Even news from the House of Elrond would be a big prize to bring down to Gondor when (if) she returns. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

I didn't want to disrupt the Chapter 2 thread with an OOC post, but I wanted to say that I'm still here, and still keen! 

I'm not nagging - I'm encouraging

Character sheet

tomcat

Hey Paul,

I just got back from Vermont yesterday and I will be working on getting the website back in order with my mods, and get the new Chapter moving tonight and tomorrow (along with the other games).

Cool?

Talk to you all soon.

Posterboy

How was Vermont?