• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 09:43 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The skies of Bespin - round 1

Started by tomcat, Jul 07, 2010, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 07, 2010, 04:32 PM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 01:49 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Aegis has launched from the landing pad and is racing for orbit to make the jump to lightspeed - there are a total of 3 wings of two fighters vectoring towards the escaping explorer. Due to the Empire only being a few years old, the Venator star destroyer is of the Clone Wars hardware, so it does not have a full complement of new fighters. There are inbound two Eta-2's, 2 V-wing's and two TIE/In fighters at different distances away. The Eta's will appear on the map marked A in round 10; the V-wings will arrive in round 5 at B, and the TIE's are already in close enought range.

The Aegis needs 10 rounds to calculate the jump to lightspeed. Due to the age of the data the astrogation test will be DC 20, but the ship's navicomputer will extend a +5, and may be conducted at the end of round 10 (no other actions can be taken by the PC conducting the calculations during the 10 rounds). If test is failed, you may attempt it again to discover the error, and then the whole process must begin again. If failed twice... well, the ship jumps and I tell you what happens!  >:D

Situational Modifiers: The Aegis has its new jamming suite that can blind enemy sensors; its jamming is limited to a single target within 6 squares, selected as a Swift action, and causes a -4 penalty to starfighters (-2 to transports); it may be opposed. Also, the Aegis now has it combat thrusters which make it one size smaller when attacked by enemies, and it may engage, or be engaged in dogfights.

Initiative will be conducted by ship, meaning all PC's can act on the ship's initiative. Each character may take a part in the ship's activities - Kara is piloting, whoever has best Use Computer for plotting course (Caden or Brim?), need two gunners to fire both guns (Britton and Kaida?), and someone could operate the jammer (Sam).

Physical Modifiers: The massive planet Bespin is nothing more than a ball of gas. If desired, ships may fly deeper into the planet's cloud cover to hide, but they do risk the effects of the corrosive tibanna gas, as well as being dragged into the planets gravity well. A ship that stays in the gas will be effected incrementally by 5% of its hit points per round (5% round 1, 10% round 2, etc.) The gas ignores SR but not DR. Also, for each round spent lower in Bespin's clouds will require increasing Pilot tests by +2, starting at DC 12, to keep from losing position. If a Pilot test is failed by more than 10, the ship will be trapped in the planet's gravitational pull.

Initiative:
Eta-2's (+18) - Rolled 1d20+18 : 18 + 18, total 36
V-wings (+8) - Rolled 1d20+8 : 14 + 8, total 22
TIE fighters (+8) - Rolled 1d20+8 : 8 + 8, total 16
Aegis (+5*) - Rolled 1d20+5 : 4 + 5, total 9
*Kara's Pilot skill minus the Ship's size mod
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Sam was connected to the Aegis' computer and could tell through the sensors that there were three inbound flights of fighters after them, one set was already real close. If they were to survive they would have to hammer the fighters quickly, while the jump to lightspeed was being calculated. Either that or they had to hide, and there was only one place to do that... straight down.

The two TIE fighters saw the Loronar take off and began to vector in on their course. The pilots in each checked their weapon statuses. Their orders had been simple - destroy all targets that attempt to evade. With shock and awe imposed by the Emperor, so that the new Empire could make its presence known to all of these Outer Rim worlds, upstarts who attempted to defy the new Order would be quickly quashed.

:ooc: I will conduct the TIE fighter actions a little later tonight
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe

Kara looked at the sensors and didn't like any direction.  She turned the ship and started to angle away from all of the incoming fighters.  They were sure to catch up at some point, the goal for now was to stay away from combat as long as possible.

OOC:

Move the ship as many squares as it can move diagonally towards the bottom right of the map.  I'm going to try and buy the ship some time for an astrogate check.

tomcat

Jul 10, 2010, 01:47 PM #3 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 01:53 PM by tomcat
TIE Fighters 1 and 2 swoop in

Move -
5 swuares towards Aegis (see new map)

Swift - Increase Vehicle Speed
DC 20 Pilot +8
-------------------------
TIE 1 - Roll(1d20)+8: 6,+8 Total:14 FAILED (moves -1 on Condition Track)
TIE 2 - Roll(1d20)+8: 4,+8 Total:12 FAILED (moves -1 on Condition Track)

Standard - fire laser cannons
DC 20 RC +6, -5 autofire, -10 range, -1 condition
TIE 1 - Roll(1d20)-10: 14,-10 Total:4 MISSED (Autofire still causes 1/2 damage to missed targets) Damage = Roll(4d10)+0: 4,9,8,4,+0 Total:25
TIE 2 - Roll(1d20)-10: 8,-10 Total:-2 MISSED (Autofire still causes 1/2 damage to missed targets) Damage = not awarding damage even with autofire, due to negative dice result

Aegis' shields deflect the damage

Kara moves the Aegis UP and away from TIE fighters and Cloud City

Other characters may act... based on where you are.

:ooc: Here is another factor I forgot to work into our time frames with the Aegis running out of town... per the SotG, it takes 1-5 minutes from launch to attain orbit, and then 1 minute to get to a safe hyperspace jump spot. So, to clarify, I am going to say that it is going to take three minutes to attain orbit, and 1 minute to get to safe jump point, or 4 total minutes. The calculation of hyperspace being performed by... ???, will use up one of those minutes (unless failed), and the rest is just going to require some maneuvers by the pilot until the ship has reached the location. Although it conflicts with the Core Book, I am going to say that it will take 20 rounds to achieve that time/distance, so please look above to see the ammended initial Round Situation synopsis

Not directing your PC's, but here are my assumptions and the actions that the PC's can take on each turn...

Kara - piloting the ship
Kaida - climbs into upper gun control chair
Britton - is in the lower gun control chair
Sam - connected to computer; he has the best Use Computer, Mech, and Perception skill rank of all PC's; he can Aid Another (on any skill check, or on an attack), calculate the jump, reroute power, recharge shields, etc.
Caden - sitting on command deck; he can Aid Another (on any skill check, or on an attack), calculate the jump, reroute power, recharge shields, etc.
Brim - sitting on command deck; he can Aid Another (on any skill check, or on an attack), calculate the jump, reroute power, recharge shields, etc.

Finally, I did not state anything about this prior, but I want to bring in the factor of dimensions. The map is obviously two-dimensional, but the ship is in a three-dimensional world. This said, Nick, when you tell me you are moving the ship, please tell me if you are flying down or up as well. I am going to make the assumption that the movement order above is to go UP. If that is not correct, let me know.

-Treat the Cloud City launching point as level 0
-You will need to give me a total of 20 issued UP orders with your movement posts to get to the safe jump point. (1 has been made with this round, so 19 left).
-At the Cloud City level, two DOWN movement orders will take the Aegis into the clouds below and the ship will gain the benefits above.
-I will keep track on the map for each UP or DOWN order given.

donimator

Sam will monitor the ship systems and sensors while continuing to make sure the jammer is functioning. He is prepared to handle damage control at Caden of Kara's direction if the need arises. For now he sees the Ties as the immediate threat and feeds Britton enhanced tracking info to his weapon display.

Sam's actions
Standard - Aid Another (Attack Roll - Britton)
Sensor Operator - Use Computer DC 10
Sam - Use Computer +9,-2 condition track

Rolled 1d20+7 : 9 + 7, total 16

(2) Swift Actions - Recover action (3 of 3) to go up one step on Condition track

donimator

{Edit}
Swift - (1) Recover action (2 of 3, still -2 on condition track)
Swift - activate jammer on Tie 1

watanabe

:ooc:

Yes, I was flying up.  Also I assume I have to wait till next round to do more piloting stuff!

tomcat

:ooc: I am just trying to give everyone some time to chime in here with something, but in a week, I just get you and Don. I might just act for the other PC's so that the game keeps moving.

Jingo

:ooc: Just letting you know I'm still around. Was out at a family reunion in the mountains without any access to the net. I'll try to post tomorrow sometime.

tomcat

Jul 11, 2010, 01:22 PM #9 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2010, 01:24 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Cool, thanks Jingo.

I appreciate the update. I am going to go ahead and finish this round out and then everyone can catch up with the new round.

Jingo

Jul 12, 2010, 03:54 AM #10 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 03:59 AM by Jingo
Kaida cursed to herself at Sam's report of inbound Tie Fighters as she scrambled up the ladder to the upper gun turret. She settled into the chair and flipped on the targeting display and began fiddling with the controls to get a feel for how it was done. While she could pilot a ship, gunnery was something new to her. She swiveled the guns to the closets ship, lined up the ship in her sights, and pulled the trigger.

"Britton!" she called down the ladder well. "Lets take them down one at a time, focus on the nearest one!"

Move action - Moving into the chair/turning on targeting display.
Standard action - Shooting at Tie 1
Swift action - Inspire Haste (Lets Britton use his move action as another standard action)

Here's my die roll:
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+6 : 10 + 6, total 16 (+6 is my char's ranged attack bonus. -5 for not being proficient in gunnery. Also, I'm not sure what the ship's existing targeting suite adds, so I'll let you add that in. If this hits, I'm not sure what damage it gives so I'll let you roll that--and no I didn't really tamper with the dice roll, just editing text portion... ;) )

watanabe

OOOOOOO BUSTED!  If you are going to tamper, at least roll a Nat 20!  ;D

Sorry, I know you didn't tamper, I just had to make a joke.

tomcat

:ooc: All right... I will be posting for all PC's with no player activity tomorrow.

sdrotar

Jul 16, 2010, 03:36 PM #13 Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010, 08:49 PM by tomcat
As the ship rattled beneath the TIE fighter's blast, Caden cursed under his breath.
"So much for the warning, huh? These guys mean business."

He opened shipwide comm systems. "We'll be space dust if we wait any longer - if you've got a shot, take it! I'll plot us a jump to hyperspace."

Caden whirled to the navicomp and set his fingers in motion. Where to didn't matter so much, as long at it was away from here.

* Use Computer Skill +8 = Roll(1d20)+8:14,+8 Total:22

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Shawn, just so you know, I edited your post. To plot the jump to lightspeed requires a Use Computer skill check. I kept your roll as is, but substituted the correct skill rank.

You gave me the roll in advance which is fine, but know that Caden can do nothing else while plotting the jump for 10 rounds - so sit back and enjoy!  ;)

Sam aids Britton with a +2

Brim stands by and watches through the cockpit's canopy

Kaida targets TIE 1 and results are against a DC 15:

13* + 4 Vehicle INT mod -5 proficiency - 10 range mod = 5 FAILED -- *you use your BAB, not ranged combat skill

Britton targets TIE 2 and results are against a DC 15:
DC 15 BAB +5, Aid from Sam +2, Vehicle Int Mod +4, Range -10 = +1
Standard 1 -

Rolled 1d20+1 : 7 + 1, total 8

and if it hits, damage is...
Rolled 4d10 : 4, 2, 1, 9, total 16

Standard 2 (bonus action from Kaida) -
Rolled 1d20+1 : 16 + 1, total 17

and if it hits, damage is...
Rolled 4d10 : 5, 6, 9, 2, total 22