• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 10:27 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Empty home

Started by tomcat, Feb 04, 2010, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 04, 2010, 01:04 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 06:23 PM by tomcat
The Company was not bothered angain for the rest of their journey north. With wounds mostly healed, but yet still a burden, it was three days until they once more rode into Dorthad.

Dirnhael realized it had been over three weeks that they had been gone and that the winter solstice had passed, thus by the King's calendar, another year had moved on in Middle-earth. It was now the year 1638 of the Third Age. It seemed so long ago that he and a few of the men, and elf, still with him had ridden out of Tharbad. Where that home had been gloomy upon departure, this one seemed gloomy upons't return.

The Company dismounted in the courtyard of Durgil's estate and leaving the beasts to be tended by the stable hands, they quickly made their way into the house.

"IORETH" Dirnhael called when he entered, but it was not her beautiful voice that replied. The housewoman came from the kitchen, "She's gone m'lord... some days past. The Lord Methilir came, as her suitor, and demanded she come with him to his home. Said he had rights by the King's decree, and that they would soon be married."

Fengel suddenly felt a chill, "And my sister?! Where is Gléowyn?!"

The woman nodded, "Went with her, Lord. Said to Methilir, she did, that no noblewoman could travel without her handmaiden. She went with more intent than just that, I say... look in her eyes was one of a mother bear protecting her cub. Strong in spirit and body is your sister, Lord... and her company made Lord Methilir none too happy."

The housewoman gave a chuckle that quickly faded away as she saw that the men were not pleased with the situation as it stood. She spoke again, "Can I get you something warm, Lords... drink or food? The weather is none to friendly and you must be chilled to the bone."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael wanted to leave immediately; to get back on the road in pursuit, but he was wounded and the lady was right - they were cold and needed to recuperate from their trip.

He let out a heavy sigh. "At least this home is now safe," he said, "and we know where Methilir is headed."

Dirnhael assumed that Methilir knew his ambush had failed, for none had returned to give him news of success. He would no doubt speed up his timetable.

"So Gléowyn has left with them," he added. He felt badly for Fengel, but knew that the man's sister was no shrinking violet, and the women of the plains were not as... timid as the nobles of this land. "By the time we meet them, there may be little of Methilir left for us to attend to."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

"Lord Dirnhael, How far is this Baron's lands from here? Surely he will take her to the place of his safest refuge. I do not know the specifics of the law here in Arthedain, but I dont believe that it is customary to make off with the future wife prior to the marriage. Who is the kings represenative in these lands and ensures the laws are upheld?"

Celdrahil still pondered for a moment and looked at Edrahil and then back to Dirnhael. "If this Methilir were an Orc we could ride out to great glory, sneak into his liar, kill everything that moved, take the women back and gain great reknown. Methilir, being a Noble of the realm complicates this, but in form its a plan."

" Though I am not sure that meets the intent of the steward. Wheels within wheels...perhaps try deception. We could wait here a few days to uphold the appearance that the news has traveled about and what has occured. Then I and another unknown to him could go to this Lord Methilir and say that the Lady is to be surreneded to me as a man of apporpriate rank so that she can be given away formally and with due distinction to her rank and status. Even if he denies us we are unknown to him and we may be able to learn something of his strength or his plan. Though i still kinda like the sneak in and take her great reknown plan."

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

BrianM

"Celdrahil, your plan has some merit, but Methilir is ruthless. This is a man who had his own brother murdered to frame his rival. Anyone unknown to him who walks in demanding the return of Lady Ioreth will surely suffer the same fate. I think our best approach if we have to confront him is to do it as a group."

The scribe was lost in thought for a moment, "If only we had something with which to bargain. Perhaps we can somehow dupe him into thinking we hold the proof of his murderous ways. If he cannot silence us by the sword, perhaps our silence can be bought by the return of Ioreth and Gléowyn."

tomcat

Feb 05, 2010, 02:12 PM #4 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 02:16 PM by tomcat
:ooc: I do not want any posts changed above, because I like what you guys have here, but I do want to point something out...

You guys are not 100% sure that Methilir had his brother assassinated. I know as players you do, but we all know we can't use cut-scenes to benefit our PC's knowledge. This said, the only thing you know is that Durgil was over Derufin's dead body being arrested. You guys are going on faith alone that Durgil maintained his rage with the big oaf.

From an outsider to the Company, Dirnhael could look like a jealous man that has been slighted and wants to just get back what he believes is his. To any Noble, Lord Methilir may have right to such claim of Iorlas due to his lineage.

So, keep this in mind as you all post. I want you guys to definitely put the story together, but keep in mind what your PC's do and don't know.

Thanks!  ;D

Game posts to come tonight!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

ZehnWaters

Quote from: BrianM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:49 PM
The scribe was lost in thought for a moment, "If only we had something with which to bargain. Perhaps we can somehow dupe him into thinking we hold the proof of his murderous ways. If he cannot silence us by the sword, perhaps our silence can be bought by the return of Ioreth and Gléowyn."

"Clever," Vidugavin commented, chuckling to himself.  "Though Celdrahil has a point.  This Lord Methilir doesn't know me, I could be the one to go with him."

Telcontar

"I can speak with the authority as a messenger of the Steward. We wait a couple days for the news to travel and your wounds to heal. Then Vidugavin and I show up as emmissaries of the Steward, claim that Ioreth needs to be given away by a person of sufficient rank, now that her brother is imprisoned. Even if he doesnt give her to us there are two people on the inside gathering information and in a position to better aid in the sallying forth, stealing, and heroic subterfuge that transpires. Lord Dirnhael, do not allow your love or passion to blind you to this. Even in battle some lines must give for others to hold."

:ooc: Tomcat, is there any Dunedain tradition of trial by combat or personal challenges? I would like to draw upon the tradition of Fingolfin calling out Morgoth or something like that but i dont know if there is a Dunedain precedent for that and my character would not know a lot of formal old history as it isnt something he would have cared. The fact that the Witch King Challeneged the last King of Gondor to personal combat twice shows that there must be some precedent for it, but since this has not yet happened i wasnt sure what your thoughts were.

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: There is no other points in canon that I know of other than the two that you have cited. But I can see it being a definite form of honor, or gentlemanly means of resolving situations. We just kind of went through an ordeal of this kind with our last story-arc where Fengel single-handedly took on the leader of the Sagath invaders. By his victory, he broke the will of the bad guy followers and they ran. So, the short answer is yes, I would permit this kind of attempt to draw Methilir out.

Going to let you guys RP some more here, unless the conversation is done. I will watch through tonight and then move the topic on.

Palandil

:ooc: Sorry guys, I've been really sidetracked.  Family troubles.  Doug please post some for me for a little while.

tomcat

:ooc: You got it, Paul. I am sorry for the troubles and I hope they work themselves out soon. We'll be here when you can get back.

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 08, 2010, 12:33 PM
"I can speak with the authority as a messenger of the Steward. We wait a couple days for the news to travel and your wounds to heal. Then Vidugavin and I show up as emmissaries of the Steward, claim that Ioreth needs to be given away by a person of sufficient rank, now that her brother is imprisoned. Even if he doesnt give her to us there are two people on the inside gathering information and in a position to better aid in the sallying forth, stealing, and heroic subterfuge that transpires. Lord Dirnhael, do not allow your love or passion to blind you to this. Even in battle some lines must give for others to hold."

"A wise strategy," Dirnhael said, tipping his head slightly. He hated to admit it, but the newcomer was right, and even though he didn't have time to trust him fully at this point, Cerdrahil's suggestion was extremely clever; Methilir and his men knew nothing of them and given his standing in the Court, Cerdrahil's plan had a good chance of success.

Again, assuming they could be trusted.

Either way, the plan allowed him, Fengel and Pethron further time to heal their wounds in case a more direct approach became necessary. "And that was undoubtedly necessary," he thought, as his body still ached.

"We will need to get word from you regarding your status with Methilir and the condition of the ladies so we may proceed properly ," he said. Dirnhael wasn't yet willing to trust blindly. "How will you accomplish this?" 

tomcat

Edrahil replied to Dirnhael's question, "I can aid in this, Dirnhael. My arts can provide these men with the means of calling us in need or with news. Either way, the rapport can be maintained and I also have means so that we may see the goings on within Methilir's compound."

Dirnhael nodded in understanding. He knew the Sindar had great powers beyond the tangible world and so the plan was developed a bit further over dinner, then the men took rest before the fire. The only thing that troubled Edrahil after their discussion, and the details of what kind of man they believed Methilir to be, was Vidugavin. Certainly a Dúnadan of noble-standing within the ancient realm of Arnor would give little credence to an eastern man of Rhovanion. Methilir would most likely look upon Fengel and Vidugavin, along with their kin, as nothing more than barbarians. Edrahil made his thoughts known, "I fear that Vidugavin will make little impression upon Methilir. In fact, I believe he will reduce any credibility that Celdrahil will bring... no offense Vidugavin... but we are talking about a man of old blood and high status. I believe Pethron should bring more to the conference than any other, as an unknown, but still a Dúnadan."

sdrotar

"Nobles," Dirnhael thought with disdain. Still, Edrahil was right - and it would give Dirnhael more confidence; he trusted Pethron, and they could get to know Vidugavin better as well.

"Are you up for this, friend?" Dirnhael looked to Pethron, knowing the young man was not as comfortable with a sword as he was a pen. "In this battle, your words are your best weapon."

BrianM

Feb 16, 2010, 09:16 AM #13 Last Edit: Feb 16, 2010, 09:22 AM by BrianM
 :ooc: Oops ... I was mistakenly under the impression that Pethron had met Methilir already.

Quote from: sdrotar on Feb 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
"Are you up for this, friend?" Dirnhael looked to Pethron, knowing the young man was not as comfortable with a sword as he was a pen. "In this battle, your words are your best weapon."

With a wry smile, Pethron responded, "It is true, friend, that I am most at ease in confrontations that do not involve drawn blades. Even though Methilir has undoubtedly heard that you travel with a scribe, he does not know me and hopefully won't make the connection. If I pose as Celdrahil's personal scribe under a different name the deception should work." He knew that he would have to rely on his courage more than ever before to carry out this mission. With a determined look on his face, Pethron added "I am confident I could carry out the task if that is your wish Dirnhael."

sdrotar

Quote from: BrianM on Feb 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
With a determined look on his face, Pethron added "I am confident I could carry out the task if that is your wish Dirnhael."

"I wish for no man to do more than he would will," Dirnhael said with a smile. "But Ioreth and Gleowyn are dear to Fengel and I, and we do need help to safely retrieve them. You would honor us greatly with your efforts."