• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 09:53 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 2: Home, sweet home

Started by tomcat, Feb 21, 2009, 02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 21, 2009, 02:08 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:24 PM by tomcat
The three companions spent close to a week riding the roads and trails that led to Durgil's estate. They were not pressed for time, nor were they in hostile lands and so they leisurely rode over hill and through dale, enjoying the fall weather.

At long last, they came to a road that Durgil was very familiar with and he spurred his horse forward. It was the length of road that led to a small, humble village where it split and just south was his father's manor. He was home at last!

Dirnhael and Fengel also spurred their horses, though only one of the two men was excited to finally end the journey. The Dúnadan worried as to what he would do or say when he Ioreth appeared.

They rode through the village and Durgil stopped for a few moments to make small talk to some of the passerbys - men and women (of both Dúnedain and Middle-man stock) whose families had lived, and worked, on these lands for generations. Smiles and pleasantries, along with condolences, were given and talk was made of the hopes for the upcoming spring planting season. Durgil asked about some of the young men with whom he had palled around with in his youth and was pleased to hear that most were still local - some even worked for him (or had for his father, before him), either as land-hands or within his militia.

At last, with a loss for words, they all moved on once more, riding only a few more minutes before they entered the grounds of a small manor. A low, stone wall surrounded the house and chickens and small goats milled around the yard. Though the lands were fallow, pastoral fields surrounded all and Dirnhael found it quite comforting - it reminded him of the House of Celephain in Cardolan.

Smoke rose from multiple chimneys and made the air fragrant with the smell of fire and food. Warmth also beckoned and the men dismounted. A young man ran from the house, "My Lord Durgil! Welcome home at last, sir!"

Durgil recognized the lad as the son of his father's house maid. She and her now deceased husband had served in the manor for years. Durgil handed the reins of his horse over, "Good day Duinhir!"

Movement towards the entrance of the house caught Dirnhael's eye and he turned to see Ioreth standing at the door. His heart leapt to his throat and he gave a wan smile, not knowing what else to do.

The Lady Ioreth slowly began to walk forward, taking hesitant steps and Dirnhael watched as her expressions turned from first a warm smile, to that of rage. Her gait quickened and she strode up to the man she loved and her balled fists slammed against his padded leather and mail corslet. "WHY!" she cried as tears burst forth from her.

Dirnhael knew not what to do, save to throw his arms around her, even though she still thumped his chest in her rage and sadness. Finally, Ioreth surrrendered and she went limp in his arms, sobbing as she did. Fengel and Durgil, both sullen, moved quietly away to allow the two to have a moment.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil knew deep down that her outburst wasn't just aimed at his friend as he had been complicit in these events as well.

Wordlessly, Durgil showed Fengel to the stables where their horses would be kept.  Rochithuin strained at her reins, excited to return to the lands she knew so well since being a foal.  Durgil smiled, "Easy, my lady, you'll be free to roam soon as you please; you've earned it."

Turning to his friend, "Now that you have you're own bit land, what are your plans?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Fengel smiled at Durgil.  "Well, I'm not exactly sure.  Its been so long since I had the privilege to consider my own plans.  And the way our fellowship seems to find trouble I'm not so sure I'll yet have that opportunity."
Fengel looked down at the ground and then back to Durgil, "Durgil, know that I would welcome you as my brother.  My sister just needs some time to heal.  She does have feelings for you, so please don't be discouraged.  However, your royal blood may not stand for such a union.  And Gleowyn would never want to bring you harm in any form."

GandalfOfBorg

"I brooked my father's desires and my station by joining with the army.  I did what I felt I needed to do to learn things in my own way and time.  It has afforded me many opportunities and experiences that I would never been able to do if I remained a 'proper' noble.  It has given me insight to the world outside the halls of the king and shown me a course I was meant to take; I count myself lucky that meeting your sister to be one of the most important things I did in my travels.  I will wait as you suggest."

"As for trouble, well the trouble we are in for will likely make you wish it were orcs heads that needed lopping."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Feb 27, 2009, 12:23 PM #4 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2009, 08:24 PM by sdrotar
After the moment had ended, Dirnhael looked at his feet. He knew not if she was angry at him, or their situation, or if she simply felt slighted by the world at large.

"I do not understand what has happened," he finally said softly, his head still pitched toward the ground. "Durgil has tried to educate me on the ways of nobility in these lands, but it is so very foreign to me."

He waited a moment, wanting to tell her everything that had transpired; their stay in Rivendell and how Arwen enchanted the blade that she had given him; how they had freed Fengel's people. But one thing remained on his mind first and foremost, and he had not the patience to wait.

"During my travels, my feelings for you never changed," he asked, looking her in the eyes. "Did my absence cause yours to?"

He wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer, but he knew that he must.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

After a short bit, the Dúnadan and Éothraim left Dirnhael and Ioreth and made their way in to the manor.

Dirnhael was left alone with the woman who possessed his heart and yet he no longer knew where he stood in the situation. Ioreth had pulled away and her sobs had faded as she listened to the man before her.

"During my travels, my feelings for you never changed," he asked, looking her in the eyes. "Did my absence cause yours to?"

In those eyes, Dirnhael saw true sadness. "No..." Ioreth answered with a quaking voice. "My heart still belongs to you, sir knight. But my duty is what has happened!" These last words, the lady hissed through clenched teeth and sadness left her eyes and anger rose. "I am a woman of noble birth, in a house that - at the time - had no lord. And so, my king could see no other way out but to give my hand to another noble of his kingdom. We didn't know where you were? Messengers were sent. None returned with news of you... and now you are here."

Ioreth looked down at the ground and tears fell from her cheeks. But then, Dirnhael watched as the strength of the woman revealed itself and she drew her gaze back to him and she smiled. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, rivalling the majesty of Rivendell itself. "Come," she said. "You have traveled far and must be hungry. I want to hear everything of your journey... it is wonderful to see that the three of you have all returned safely." But then Ioreth looked puzzled to be followed with concern, "But where is the Elf?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Feb 27, 2009, 08:33 PM #6 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009, 08:06 AM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Feb 27, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ioreth looked down at the ground and tears fell from her cheeks. But then, Dirnhael watched as the strength of the woman revealed itself and she drew her gaze back to him and she smiled. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, rivalling the majesty of Rivendell itself. "Come," she said. "You have traveled far and must be hungry. I want to hear everything of your journey... it is wonderful to see that the three of you have all returned safely." But then Ioreth looked puzzled to be followed with concern, "But where is the Elf?"

My friend Edrahil was injured, saving me from a were-creature while we struggled to free Fengel's people from enslavement by Easterlings and a darker force that I wish to speak no more of. He survived, but he needed time to recover. It is my hope that he returned to Lindon to seek solace with his kin." He smiled at the memory of his longtime companion. "I have no doubt that we will see him again."

He went on to recant his tale; the splendor of the Elves and the darkness of Fengel's lands - now freed - and of how Fengel shocked him by turning down the lordship of his clan to return with him to Fornost. He mentioned that Fengel's sister accompanied them, but did not mention Durgil's feelings toward her. He spoke of how the Elves housed with honor the handle of Anduring, now returned to them, and he showed her Vorandur, christened and made stronger by the legendary Arwen herself, and again marveled at how the love of one woman and the faith of another could forge together into something that defended his very life.

Then he looked up at that woman - who was fixated on his tale in rapt attention - and realized that, truly, nothing had changed between them save their circumstances. He heaved a sigh of relief and smiled.

Circumstances could be changed.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Feb 28, 2009, 03:53 PM #7 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009, 05:44 AM by tomcat
The day passed and Fengel and Dirnhael were treated to the splendour of Gelmir Manor. It was not like the amenities of the King's hall, but it was quite comfortable and homey. Simple. And Dirnhael found it increasingly similar to the life he knew in Cardolan. People working the land, getting soil between their fingers. It brought an ease to his mind and heart.

Ioreth, though slightly distant, became increasingly more amiable and gave the two newcomers a tour of the house, grounds, and local surrounds. Fengel accompanied for two reasons - one to familiarize himself with the lands, but also to be polite. Still, he felt a third wheel around the two and so he tagged behind.

Durgil, on the other hand, spent the afternoon and evening going over all the documents of his father's estate. The family retained a barrister and so the young noble sat and listened to the drolling on of the esquire as he read through all of the legal parchments.

With the setting sun, each made their way to their rooms to sleep away the long travel and busy day.

It was as if summer was not yet ready to let go and the next few days were warm and clear. Beautiful blue skies hung over golden fields and forest splashed with orange, yellow, and green. Dirnhael spent his time with Ioreth and the two became closer though the woman still maintained a discernible distance. She was to be married to another man and to fall deeper in love with Dirnhael would only make it all the worse.

The two went to the mill where some of the locals were busy grounding meal. Other hands were salting and smoking meat, preparing it for the long winter ahead. While even others used axe and wedge to break logs into manageble firewood. Dirnhael felt good to swing an axe after so many months of wielding a weapon. They chatted and worked as the day lazed away.

Fengel took the opportunity to mount up and ride the length of the county to its southwestern corner where it met up with a major road. That road continued south and lead to his landholdings, which the Éothraim was excited to see. He sat atop his horse wondering if he should press on, though he had not told his friends he was making such a trip.

[OOC:] Dialogue if you wish, I will add more narrative tonight or tomorrow.

tomcat

The trek to his landholdings would take the better part of another day's ride, and so Fengel thought it best to return to his friends. No sense in causing them worry if he were to disappear for a couple days. With a sigh, he turned his horse back towards Durgil's estate and spurred the beast forward. He figured he would make it back by dusk.

The Éothraim actually beat his estimate and rode up the small dirt road that led into the village and eventually to the manor. Fengel crossed over the small stone bridge and turned south towards Durgil's home. At last, he rode into the stabling yard and dismounted. He felt fantastic. It had been a wonderful day's ride in the cool of Fall with no stress or fear of any mishaps befalling him. It was nice to feel safe.

He led Heostor into the stable and personally removed bit, bridle and saddle. He brushed his steed and gave her some sweet oats, and with a pat, left the horse to its own. Walking from the stable, Fengel saw his friend Dirnhael out in the field swinging an axe, preparing firewood. The sight brought a smile to the Éothraim - they were indeed home and simpler chores needed tended. His thoughts were interrupted as two horsemen arrived in the courtyard. Fengel recognized the first man, though he had forgotten his name, but it was the large, slow fellow from the King's Hall. The other man was obviously Dúnadan, tall in his saddle, but much thinner than both Durgil and Dirnhael. His skin was pale, and his hair, jet black, was closely cropped. He had a rat-face and Fengel thought him homely to say the least.

The Éothraim was mistaken by the two arrivals and they called to him, "Stablehand! Come... fetch our mounts! Where is your master?"

Palandil

The day's ride had been good at calming Fengel's spirit, but as the man barked his orders all of that changed.  Fengel didn't like the way most nobles treated their servants and he wasn't about to be treated as such by this man.
"You are mistaken my lord."  Fengel stated through clenched teeth as he stood tall and proud.

tomcat

Mar 11, 2009, 11:24 AM #10 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 11:32 AM by tomcat
Methilir turned to his brother, Derufin, and then nodded in recognition, "Ah, yes, you must be the East man that my soon to be brother-in-law has been associating with. Well then, forgive my impudence and let me say instead, welcome to Arthedain."

Fengel could not tell the age of the Dúnadan before him - actually he had trouble aging any of them - but he was certain the man had to be older than his friends. The Éothraim was also not for certain whether any sincerity exuded from Methilir's welcome. Duinhir, the manor's stablehand, did finally arrive to see to the nobles' horses. They dismounted and Methilir turned once more to Fengel, "So, is Durgil present this eve, and do you know of the whereabouts of my lady, Ioreth?"

Palandil

Fengel didn't want to mar Durgil's nobility so he swallowed his pride down and resisted the urge to knock the man in the jaw.  He did however step quite close to the man's face.
"Durgil has been busy attending to matters of his estate, and I'm not sure where that may have led him.  And to the whereabouts of his sister, I could not tell."  "Or would I", he thought to himself, as he smiled sarcastically.

tomcat

Duinhir came back out of the stables and could immediately sense the tension rising between the men; he quickly interjected, "My Lord Methilir, welcome! My master, Durgil is within the house, and the Lady Ioreth currently tends to chores in the field."

The young stablehand pointed to the fields beyond, as Methilir followed his gesture, "Chores in the field! Why would a noble lady of Arthedain see to any chores in the field?!" It was then that the Dúnadan noble saw the form of Dirnhael conducting the chopping of wood, all the while Ioreth sitting close by and watching. He looked to Duinhir, "Who is that man she is with?"

"My Lord, that is the knight, Sir Dirnhael, companion of my Lord, Durgil." His attention now fully engaged with the sight before him, Methilir handed the lad his riding crop and gloves. "Show me to Durgil... now."

The boy answered, "I will see if he is available. Come along, sir." The three of them strode off, leaving Fengel behind and for the most part, forgotten. The Éothraim couldn't help but allow the smile to crack across his face. He clapped his hands and decided he best go and talk to Dirnhael.

Inside his office, Durgil was interrupted by his steward, Findegil, "Durgil, the Lord Methilir has come, he wishes to see you. He waits in the study. Shall I tell him you are available?"

GandalfOfBorg

The young warrior-turned-aristocrat heavied a sigh and put down the quill -- so many documents, he felt like he was signing his life away sometimes. "These manuscripts are complete and ready for dispersal at your convenience.  Offer our guest some refreshment and let him know I will be along momentarily.  Then please make my sister aware of the arrival our guest -- no doubt her presence will be requested shortly."  Durgil knew this time would could sooner or later and, to him, sooner was always better but maybe not this time.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Palandil

Fengel wanted desperately to clap the stable hand behind the ear, but then he was just serving his master to the best of his ability.  As he made his way over to the field that his friend was laboring in, he couldn't help but chuckle once more at the nobility.

"What a mighty slayer of wood your are Dirnhael!  Its good to swing a tool instead of a weapon every now and again, no?"  He paused.  "I'm sorry to intrude, but a couple of stiff necked nobles just went in to see Durgil, and I'm sure your presence will be looked for soon lady Ioreth."