• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 12:37 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Meetings

Started by tomcat, Dec 23, 2008, 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Dec 23, 2008, 09:26 PM Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008, 09:29 PM by tomcat
Gléowyn had decided that the road held no more allure for her, at least for a while, and so she pardoned herself from the Company's choice to ride north to the Gelmir estate. She sat with the three men, at the morning breakfast table, watching all - her brother seemed quite content, as he munched on toasted bread and ate three hard-boiled eggs; Durgil was busy with matters of home, but always found a moment to attend to the Éothraim lady; and Dirnhael sat there, sullen, and not eating. Gléowyn was actually relieved that her denial of Durgil did not have the same affect on the young noble... or maybe it had, and he had not the desire to show it.

Leaving those thoughts, she tried to liven the group, "You men seem to prefer your horses over normal company anyway, so I will leave you to this chore, and take the opportunity afforded me here, by Lord Durgil. It will be a pleasure to live within your home and experience your great city! Mayhaps I will even get a chance to liven the place up by gathering some autumn colors to decorate and also bake some pumpkin bread."

Durgil was pleased that she was so willing to make herself at home. He wanted that... perhaps she would someday stay. He also enjoyed how intrigued she was of the city - Fornost was a far cry from the simple homesteads of the Éothraim.

Breakfast ended at last, along with conversation, and the day's errands now took precedence. Durgil gave instructions to his servants and the three riders once more took to their horses. The first leg of their journey took them to the castle and to the Steward of the King.

Orodreth was not surprised to see Durgil walk into his office, having heard of the noble's return along with his knighted friend, the evening before, by Gloraglil. The Steward was busy inking a parchment and looked up as the three men entered his chambers, "Greetings Durgil. It is good to see you have safely returned from your journey, though it be sad times. Your father was a good man and noble. He will be sorely missed." To the other two men, the Steward gave them a polite nod and smile, but then Orodreth gave Durgil an eye, "I do hope that you are prepared to take on Gelmir's station?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dec 24, 2008, 02:10 AM #1 Last Edit: Dec 24, 2008, 02:14 AM by sdrotar
Dirnhael pondered how far he and his friends had come. Durgil was now a man of wealth and power, and even he was a heralded knight of the realm. Without the companionship of Ioreth, however, Fornost was simply another city to him; cold and sterile.

It was then, while Durgil and the Steward spoke of politics, that he noticed Fengel standing by his side, as he seemingly always was. The man had been his trusted companion since he had first left his home, and even though Dirnhael alone was now left from that expedition, Fengel had been on it nearly as long without being charged with any responsibility to do so - and when he had the opportunity to return home to the clearing of trumpets as the leader of his people, he had stayed not with his kin... but with his friend.

It was then, that while Dirnhael felt empty inside, he realized that he had never been truly alone. For the first time in days, Dirnhael smiled.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

"Yes, sire, I have indeed returned to claim my birthright, but to take his place, that remains to be seen.  I, of course, serve at the pleasure of the King in his armies and it would be by his command to relinquish such duties.  But, Lord Orodreth, it is only in part of my inheritance do I and my companions come before you.  We have been informed of impending nuptuals of my sister, the Lady Ioreth, and another lord who neighbors upon my family's estate.  We wish to hear of the circumstances as to how this has come about even though she has been betrothed to Dirnhael, Knight of Arthedain."

Even though they've heard much from Gloraglil, he wanted to hear from the King's Man himself these circumstances.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Dirnhael's ears perked up at the mention of Ioreth, though he did his best to keep his face void of emotion.

tomcat

"It has been ordered by the King, Durgil. You are the rightful heir apparent and now lord of your father's county. The King expects you to take up your station and to see to the needs of your lands, the folk that reside there, and to the kingdom as a whole. It will be your responsibility to draw tax and protect the realm, by keeping up both a trained militia and garrison of professional soldiers - all of which may be called upon, by need, by the King. We hope that you also make well use of the lands in your estate, and not let the fields go fallow." Orodreth thumbed through some papers, at last finding what he was looking for. "I had these drawn up som months past, right before you left. They are your release from service to the King's guard, to which you were posted, and by your succession, you are appointed captain within the King's army. Your father was never one for the sword, but he maintained an impeccable garrison."

The Steward then looked to Dirnhael and back to Durgil, "Of your sister's affairs... there was never any announcement of marriage made that we were aware of, for surely the King would not interfere with such an arrangement. But, no one knew if you or Dirnhael lived. The King even dispatched a messenger, to tell of your father's passing. Needless to say, Methilir requested the hand of Ioreth, and without a paternal voice for House Gelmir, the King stepped in and honoured the request." He looked at Dirnhael, "You must understand, King Argeleb did it in the best interest of Arthedain... and only he may undo it."

Dirnhael looked hard at Orodreth. Did the Steward just pass on a clue as to how things might be righted with his beloved? Or was it a warning not to question the King's order?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Dec 28, 2008, 10:48 AM #5 Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 10:53 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Durgil stood there, taking in the moment and the information passed on to them.  "Thank you, Lord Orodreth," he replies in courteous tone, accepting the papers designating his new charge.  "At what time is the king due to return to the city?  I'm quite sure my friend here would like to see this misunderstanding addressed as soon as it may."

QuoteOOC: After looking at the map again, it shows an area of land sought by Durgil's father... what again was the disposition of that affair?  Was it granted or something that is contested with the death of the Gelmir, the request of Methilir for Ioreth's hand, and the unknown fate of Durgil?
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

"Politics," thought Dirnhael with disdain.
He knew he was in over his head in that arena, but he vowed to learn, and learn quickly - for it seemed that fair Ioreth may not yet be lost to him, after all.

tomcat

Dec 31, 2008, 09:57 AM #7 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2009, 05:05 PM by tomcat
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Dec 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
QuoteOOC: After looking at the map again, it shows an area of land sought by Durgil's father... what again was the disposition of that affair?  Was it granted or something that is contested with the death of the Gelmir, the request of Methilir for Ioreth's hand, and the unknown fate of Durgil?

Durgil stood there, taking in the moment and the information passed on to them.  "Thank you, Lord Orodreth," he replies in courteous tone, accepting the papers designating his new charge.  "At what time is the king due to return to the city?  I'm quite sure my friend here would like to see this misunderstanding addressed as soon as it may."

[OOC:] Hey Matt, the lands that Gelmir sought are still in contention. The King was concerned with such a sizeable land grant to any one noble, even though these lands are mostly vacant. Gelmir did not let that stall his ambition and he started making alliances within court with other nobles, as well as with the younger princes of Argeleb's house. Durgil's father died before things could be re-presented to the King as to why an assumption of those lands would be a good thing under Gelmir rule, and for the kingdom as a whole.

"Durgil you know the King's coming and goings are kept most private during these times. We cannot afford loose lips in court, and there is no place I know with more tongues wagging than in this hall. The king will return in the spring. In the meantime, go to your home - not your home in Fornost. Go to lay your father's affairs to rest, make your peace with him, and assume your position." Orodreth then looked sorrowfully to Dirnhael. He truly liked the man, now knight and hero of the realm. "You have your own lands to settle Sir Dirnhael, and I ask that you see to it. If Arthedain is to be your home, now, than I ask you to take up the King's wish and make this a stronger nation. I also must say that though I am sorry for the position that you are now in, I beg you not interfere with the King's union... if so, I would have no choice but punish with the full extent of the laws."

At that moment, before Dirnhael could reply, a knock came at the door. It was Gloraglil. "My lord, you have sent for me?"

Orodreth looked to the messenger, "Aye. I understand that your master has deemed it your duty to work with Lord Durgil. There is a childhood friendship, yes? Anyway, it will be so. You will be the official herald for House Gelmir and carry all news between Durgil and Fornost. Understood?"

sdrotar

A home of his own... Dirnhael had never had one; orphaned as a youngster and raised in Angbor's father's hall. And land!
For the first time, this appealed to him - he had someplace to come back to.

It was clear by now that Ioreth's engagement may not be one of love, but of political expediency, though he would have to see her again to be sure, and he longed for that.
Though he did not prefer it, obviously, the political machine lumbered and Dirnhael would have to be patient whether he liked it or not.

Perhaps, for the moment, acquainting himself with his realm - how surreal that sounded! - would do. After all, he seemed to have little other choice. Fengel's land was adjacent to his; perhaps they could hunt there together... that was a pleasant thought.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil smiled at the charge given his friend.  "That is a wise choice, m'lord.  We have packed for such a journey and will be departing henceforth.  I hope our successful return will be noted in your correspondence with the King and bear him our best wishes.  By your leave, Lord, we will be on our way to do the King's will."  If the Steward had nothing more to say, Durgil bowed and left the hall.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Palandil

OOC: Hey guys! Just letting you know that I am still here.  Just really haven't had much to say, but I am following.  Doug I still haven't given you my bonus picks, I'll try and get that done tomorrow.  Also, is there a map of our lands?

Fengel looked to Dirnhael and nodded his agreement with the steward.  But he also gave a sly smile of rebellion to the thought of not interfering with the king's will.  He knew by now there would always be some adventure with this group of friends.

sdrotar

Jan 02, 2009, 08:07 PM #11 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 08:08 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: Palandil on Jan 02, 2009, 05:54 PM
OOC: Doug I still haven't given you my bonus picks, I'll try and get that done tomorrow.  Also, is there a map of our lands?

OOC: Shoot - I've gotta do that, too. Sorry about that. :-[

Dirnhael dipped his head to the Steward and followed Durgil out of the hall.

tomcat

The trio were given leave of the Steward and they removed themselves from his chamber and back into the grand hall of the king's court. They walked down the quiet, carpeted length of the high-ceilinged hall towards the huge exit doors. To their right, as they passed, was the actual throne hall where the king would give audience to his court, and where many of the courtiers gathered year round. Today was not the exception. The three men grew stares from other lesser noblemen and women who milled about in their fashion.

To Fengel, the scene was still odd to see so many righly dressed folk that pranced and preened over one another, acting, as they did, to be serving in their country's best interest. Dirnhael's views were not far different from his Éothraim friend, though he did come from an older blood and respected the traditions of the nobility, knowing in his heart that in their way, they did serve their fellows. To Durgil, it was a way of life and he found nothing wrong with it at all.

"Oy!" the trio heard as they passed, and noticed a tall, muscular, and well-dressed man approach. His hair was black as ink and it hung to the length of his shoulders, and though he seemed opposing, there was a dim look to his eyes... a lacking in wits. "I heard you had come back," he continued.

Durgil turned to see a familiar face. It was the brother of Methilir, his sisters fiance. The young noble remembered the brother, Derufin, who was greater in stature than Methilir, but slower of the mind.

GandalfOfBorg

The young noble turned to squarely face the oaf. You must have had your yearly bath and cleaned out those ears, silently mused Durgil.  He gave him a nod of recognition, "Being that I am standing in front of you would bear that statement true.  How may I be of service?"  He strains to keep his tone to no more than a placid monotone.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Feb 07, 2009, 08:49 AM #14 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009, 08:51 AM by tomcat
Derufin truly did not have a reply, and he blinked hard at Durgil's inquiry. "Errr... I do not need anything."

Though he had a slow brain, still the large man served as the eyes and ears to his brother. He watched as Durgil and his two companions turned away and proceeded fom the hall.

With their tasks done in the city, the companions could now make the journey out to Durgil's estate. They quickly made their way to the stables and prepared themselves to ride. All the while, Durgil wished that Gléowyn had decided to join them, and Dirnhael feared what they would soon discover with the Lady Ioreth.

[OOC:] I am going to wait to see if you guys have any dialogue, and then I will post the arrival to Durgil's estate... it's going to be a quick travel narrative, even though it is a few days away.