• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 08:28 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Hidden movements

Started by tomcat, Nov 01, 2007, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Nov 17, 2007, 03:05 AM #15 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007, 03:09 AM by sdrotar
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 16, 2007, 07:41 PM
"It is good news to hear of the suasion of our argument.  Saying that, your's is a good plan but my face out of all of ours, save Edrahil, would likely be quickly recognized, which could certainly go ill for our cause.  My ability to disguise myself works well enough in the rough but the city is a different story and I likely wouldn't fair well to pass as Nain's assistant.  If there are those who are definite in their wish to strike against evil, bring them to us and we can forment a resistance.  Even if they don't go abroad to give aid, they may yet burn the bridges, so to speak, pinning Harizan against the river if he should flee," Durgil said.  Taking a momentary breath to pause, "Yet whatever we do, its needs to be fast.  Battle is soon to come to the men of Thuidmar, which we've probably played a hand at instigating or accelerating.  They may have a captain, but, if I read them correctly, Fengel will be needed as a lightning rod."

"Indeed," Dirnhael replied.

Dirnhael was certain that the public and angry curse that he had lain upon this town would make him recognizable as well, but what had to be done, had to be done. The people of Ilanin may have been inspired by a noble of Men... but they would learn to settle for a knight instead.

"Then I will pose as Nain's apprentice," he said. "While I do not possess your silver tongue, Durgil, I have... other methods of persuasion at my disposal."
He was confident that Fengel could plan an effective attack in his absence - and as long as they were making progress, he was sure that Fengel wouldn't do anything rash. Just the same...
"Durgil, please join Fengel in scouting out the Easterling brigands and look for weaknesses - either in their caravan or on their path - find something that we can exploit."

He pulled the hood from his cloak over his head, hiding his face as best he could. Turning to Nain with a wan smile, he said, "I suppose you'd better start from the top..."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil nods.  "Where should we meet?  I propose dusk and some place that can be easily retreated from.  It should also be able to accomodate others and some planning ere we are accompanied by those who will stand against the Easterlings."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

OOC: How many of the easterling army have come across the river by now?  And at the rate they are going will they be fully across by nightfall?

IC: "What sort of attack can we make against this army?  Even with aid from Ilanin the easterlings would destroy us.  We must let them move out and then take their camp.  Durgil and I will find a way across the river to spy out the camp and locate my sister, then return here.  Gather as many men as you can and we will plan our next move."

Stefan

Nain nodded at Deirhael and gave him a nod and smiled.  This could be a bit of fun.

"The first thing you'll learn is how to stoke a furnace.  If you get that down before we're done here then we'll move on."

sdrotar

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 26, 2007, 04:01 AM
Nain nodded at Dinrhael and gave him a nod and smiled.  This could be a bit of fun.

"The first thing you'll learn is how to stoke a furnace.  If you get that down before we're done here then we'll move on."

"Do you have one with you?" Dirnhael asked with a sarcastic grin.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Nain's mouth snapped shut in a somewhat comical way as he pondered the furnace for a moment. Then the light behind his eyes gleamed out once again.

"Nope, which means you'll be able to use all that fancy talking to get us the use of one.  I'm sure that you could convince one of these old smiths some space in their workshops for a few days."

tomcat

Nov 28, 2007, 08:43 AM #21 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 09:09 AM by tomcat
Their plan in place, the companions began to prepare for the part they would play.

Nain and Dirnhael went to sit amongst the Dwarven craftsmen and merchants to see if there was any aid that could be garnered. Not so much in strength of arm, unless it was to hammer metal, but more in supplies and tools to augment the disguise they wished to wear. Denn also pitched in his aid and that, along with Nain's racial ties, acheived the sought out help.

One of the Dwarven merchants had established a semi-permanent location on the northeast side of the square and he had there a forge and bellows. He was willing to allow Nain to work alongside him, and to allow Dirnhael to be present as an apprentice.

"You are gonna get dirty," said the Dwarf - whose name was Falin. "And you might be running errands. So's you may wanna garner some less fancy clothes."

Dirnhael was sure that both Falin and Nain were enjoying the humbling joke. In any case, the duo would join Falin in the early morning opening of the smithy.

Fengel and Durgil's task would begin with the setting of the day's sun. The two would go to the river once more to try and espy a means to cross without notice. The Carnen was not a tremendously wide river, and it moved relatively slowly through Ilanin, and so they both assumed that it was swimmable - especially if they used a log as a float. The two men could hike up river and cross over, allowing the river's flow to bring them back down and so approach from the north and thus unobserved. The only thing they did not know, was when they would make the crossing.

Due to his appearance, Edrahil decided that it was best that he remained at the wagon camp and be there to relay messages and news to either pair. The Sindar only reminded, "If you need any aid, all you need do is call my name."

[OOC:] I need to know when Fengel and Durgil want to move out.

Understand it is the late afternoon of the day that Galudir rode off. He will not get to Thergas until tomorrow evening.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Quote from: Palandil on Nov 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
OOC: How many of the easterling army have come across the river by now?  And at the rate they are going will they be fully across by nightfall?

OOC: could you answer this Doug?  [<

tomcat

[OOC:] Sorry Paul! I missed that!

The Easterlings, by day's end, will have 1/3 of their army's equipment across the river - meaning horses, wagons, and any other large items that a rolling army would need. The far side of the river does not look like they are breaking down the large tents and such, just moving across what they need to fight and live 'in the rough', so to speak.

From your day of hiding amongst the merchants and watching the army move over the river - you guys have counted approximately 50 war-wagons and over 100 horses - you have seen about 75 Sagath warriors tending this chore. Across the river, the number of people still looks great... maybe another 250 plus.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: I don't know at what point Fengel could have asked Denn this so please put it in somewhere.

IC: Fengel approached Denn with another need, "Tell me Denn with your charm and resources is it possible to get someone to cut the barges loose or destroy them in the night?  Or any other means of bringing the movement to a halt?"

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil will follow Fengel's lead, believing the Eothraim has a better idea of the easterners than he.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nov 29, 2007, 06:17 AM #26 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007, 06:19 AM by Stefan
Nain laughed at Falin's joke and gave him a hearty pat on the back. 

"Aye, we'd better get him moving before he starts thinking this is his throneroom.  No point in wasting good daylight."

He figured that they'd need a little work to make them blend in with the rest of the smiths.  Dirnhael would need to get a little dirty or no one would ever believe him an apprentice, and nothing would take care of that better than working the bellows for a few hours.  He was getting his things together to move out when Edrahil made his announcement.

"Aye, tis true, but I'd like someday to have your help at the forge as well my friend.  Together we could work wonders."

tomcat

[OOC:] Stefan, again I am assuming that Nain and Dirnhael will start with the next morning and I will again be separating the party in multiple threads once you guys commence.

Edrahil smiled back at Nain, "Perhaps I can secret myself away from here and visit your forge."

Stefan

OOC:  That's the impression that I was working for.  You can't start a good days work over a hot forge this late in the day or without a good hangover. 

IC: "I'll be looking for ye.  Now lets have ourselves some refreshments to kick off this endeavor."

tomcat

Quote from: Palandil on Nov 28, 2007, 04:30 PMFengel approached Denn with another need, "Tell me Denn with your charm and resources is it possible to get someone to cut the barges loose or destroy them in the night?  Or any other means of bringing the movement to a halt?"

Denn looked at Fengel with his bright eyes, but his face was grim. "I will do what I can," said the merchant. "But understand that there is great danger involved -- so do not hope for much."

With that, the rotund man left the wagon camp and headed back towards the town.

As evening set in, Durgil and Fengel slipped off into the darkness of the oncoming night while Dirnhael, Nain and Edrahil sat around a campfire enjoying some Dwarven ale with their new friends; their chore would begin with the early morning.