• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 20, 2024, 07:45 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Hidden movements

Started by tomcat, Nov 01, 2007, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nov 01, 2007, 04:54 PM Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 07:08 AM by tomcat
The Company re-entered the town's limits once again, milling in with a gathering of merchant traders bringing in goods for the market square. They had their cloaks up to make themselves a little less distinguishable, and each made a serious effort to avoid any staring eyes. From where they walked, the River Cross Inn was to their left and their horses were still stabled there. It was also the last place that they saw Denn.

Fengel knew that they needed to get back to the inn to retrieve the horses, but all assumed it would be the most closely watched place for them. So without a direction, they all milled about in the crowd as it approached the square.

The Market was not as active as it had been in the days past due to the Easterlings' presence. Wagons and horses were still being brought across the river and causing too much of a disturbance to allow for the daily trades. Still, the more fiesty of vendors were still setting up so that the daylight could be taken advantage of.

The crowd pressed on Durgil as he stood there glancing back and forth so as not to lose sight of his friends. The young noble was between two pavillions - one of which was a fruits vendor; the other stacked with kasks of wine from just down south. People both trading and buying were shouting, arguing and laughing as the business of the day was picking up its pace. Some twenty feet away, a horse that was in the process of being hitched suddenly spooked and began to rear up on its handler. The bulk of the animal pushed into the wain, which in turn pushed into the crowd, causing people and vending stands to spill. The chain-reaction that occured made its way to the noble and shoved him from his feet. Durgil landed in a brown puddle of water and felt as his pants were soaked through - at the same time, his hood was thrown back.

With a grumble, the Dúnadan began to get to his feet, along with many others in the crowd, when he heard a voice shout out, "Ahhh! My new friends!"

Strolling over to offer a hand, Durgil looked up into the jovial, round face of Denn. The merchant was standing there, feet apart to assist, and a cup of wine in the non-offered hand. The rest of the Company turned to see Durgil's predicament and the presence of last night's acquaintance.

[OOC:] Actiona - and / or Dialogue
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Shhhh!" Durgil hushed the man as he reapplied the cloak and took his hand.  "Things go ill this day; bring more attention to us and they will do for you as well."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Nov 02, 2007, 07:47 AM #2 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 08:07 AM by tomcat
Denn looked left and right trying to deduce an invisible enemy. He bent in to whisper, "The east men move over the river and the dangers rise, eh?" The merchant drew Durgil up to his feet - the Dúnadan had the height on Denn, but the tradesman had the mass. "Where is your straw-haired friend? I have word that will interest him greatly."

It was then that Denn saw the other members of the company standing near, although they kept themselves inconspicuous. "Come," he said.

They all quickly pushed through the crowd and off into the tight spaces between the pavillions until the merchant had taken them to a good and secluded place. The noise of the square was still loud enough to cover any conversation they had, and so Denn began.

Looking to Fengel, "I have word of your sister, I think. A fellow wine tradesman that I know has had the opportunity to deliver across the river to Harizän himself! It seems that the Easterling enjoys his grappa and his is the only that Harizän trusts. It is quite a delicios vintage though very potent and heady..."

Denn could see the looks in the companions' eyes, and knew that now was not the time to be selling. "Err... anyway. It would seem that on his last visit that the merchant saw a strong, straw-haired, woman that was set at Harizän's side. My friend said that the woman's face showed her disgust for her placement, but also the bruises of her apparent disobedience. Anyway... he said the woman was called by the name - Glenwyn? Gleowith? Something like that."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 02, 2007, 07:47 AM
Anyway... he said the woman was called by the name - Glenwyn? Gleowith? Something like that."

DIrnhael's eyes widened. Despite what they stumbled into since, this was why they had come all this way in the first place - to put a family back together.
He allowed himself a moment to laugh at their one good fortune and clapped his hands heartily upon Fengel's shoulders in celebration of the good news.
Their first task was clear, and Dirnhael had little doubt that - if she was anything at all like her brother - Gleowyn would be a formidable ally indeed.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

The name rang a bell, might be the right one so he figures asking is better than not.

"That sounds an aweful lot like the name of the young lady we're searching for.  What are the odds that she's the one?"

Palandil

Fengel's eyes lit up as Denn told them of his sister.  But as the merchant finished his tale Fengel could feel the anger welling up within him.  Harizan would pay dearly for harming his sister, he swore by his life.  He needn't answer Nain for it was evident in his eyes.
He struggles to calm himself to speak, "Denn, we find ourselves in need of your help.  We have spoken with the lord mayor but his heart was hardened against us.  We need you to speak with him on behalf of my people who trade with Ilanin as well.  If all that this city stands upon is trade, then to stand by and allow the easterlings to destroy the Eothraim would bring an end to Ilanin's prosperity."  He looks at his friends.  "We also are in need of as many warriors from the people here as you can find who would fight against the easterlings along side us.  They must be trustworthy.  We haven't much time either."

tomcat

Denn listened intently to Fengel's requests, nodding occasionally as he did. When the Éothraim had finished, he replied, "I will see what my efforts can acheive. But where are your things my friends... and your horses?"

Edrahil answered, "Unfortunately, we left all at the River Cross while we sought the mayor, only to be ambushed by Koskas' manoeuvre. Now it could be hazardous to return to the inn, due to it being spied out by the minstrel from last evening."

"Well first things first," Denn said. "Let us get you into hiding for now and me and my trusted associates will begin to make some concealed movements for your puposes. Do not hope for much! Ilanin is not a town to rally for war, unless it is to preserve its own, but we will do what we can. Come!"

The merchant again moved off, now in a northerly direction, leading the companions back out onto the cit streets and then out of the town proper. The group did not stop until they had crossed a great field and come amongst a ring of wagons, each stocked with crates and barrels. It was a congregation of traveling merchants who gathered for safety and comraderie - each merchant then took his wares to the city's central square for trade. There were several such rings of merchant-wagons gathered by mutual commerce interests, or origin of folk.

Denn moved to a group of elderly individuals and had a quiet talk, then turned back to the Company with a smile.

"Ah! Here you will be a little safer, though I suggest the Dwarf and Elf be discreet - the Elf moreso than the Dwarf. You may watch the doings of the Easterlings from here, being able to move about with little fear, but be wary of any outside the ring that approaches... perhaps you could work amongst the merchants at those times to disguise yourselves. The wagon ring is not a fortress.

"I will return once I have more information for you."

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Denn listened intently to Fengel's requests, nodding occasionally as he did. When the Éothraim had finished, he replied, "I will see what my efforts can acheive. But where are your things my friends... and your horses?"

Edrahil answered, "Unfortunately, we left all at the River Cross while we sought the mayor, only to be ambushed by Koskas' manoeuvre. Now it could be hazardous to return to the inn, due to it being spied out by the minstrel from last evening."

"Well first things first," Denn said. "Let us get you into hiding for now and me and my trusted associates will begin to make some concealed movements for your puposes. Do not hope for much! Ilanin is not a town to rally for war, unless it is to preserve its own, but we will do what we can. Come!"

The merchant again moved off, now in a northerly direction, leading the companions back out onto the cit streets and then out of the town proper. The group did not stop until they had crossed a great field and come amongst a ring of wagons, each stocked with crates and barrels. It was a congregation of traveling merchants who gathered for safety and comraderie - each merchant then took his wares to the city's central square for trade. There were several such rings of merchant-wagons gathered by mutual commerce interests, or origin of folk.

Denn moved to a group of elderly individuals and had a quiet talk, then turned back to the Company with a smile.

"Ah! Here you will be a little safer, though I suggest the Dwarf and Elf be discreet - the Elf moreso than the Dwarf. You may watch the doings of the Easterlings from here, being able to move about with little fear, but be wary of any outside the ring that approaches... perhaps you could work amongst the merchants at those times to disguise yourselves. The wagon ring is not a fortress.

"I will return once I have more information for you."

"Thank you," Dirnhael said with a slight bow. "Your service will be remembered."

tomcat

Nov 15, 2007, 08:14 AM #8 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007, 08:23 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] This is the quietest our game has ever been... something going on out there?

Fengel has found his sister is across the river from him - the short-tempered flaw and desire to save her/vengeance is not worth talking about? I am not being critical of your playing at all guys, but we seem to have become stagnant and you guys aren't talking to each other at all. I keep needing to use Edrahil to stoke up stuff...

Just let me know if you are not into the game or no longer have time - I can take over the characters if necessary.

Thanks

The day passed very slowly for the Company, as worry and bitterness filled their hearts. They watched from their hiding spot as the wains of the Easterlings organized on the western side of the city and the soldiers of Harizän became more prevelant. Many times did an entourage of Easterlings come and go to Ulvanin and the companions wondered if any of the mayor's visitors were Harizän. The Company had not seen him as of yet, save a shadowy form from the night before. Fengel knew he would know the man when he finally confronted him.

There was little evidence of the people of Ilanin tending their daily affairs.

Nain was the one companion who seemed to weather the day best. He found himself at home amongst the merchants - both Men and Dwarves - that constituted the wagon ring. He spent not a short amount of time amongst his own folk, talking about and comparing his (and his deceased brother's) skills. He even went as far as to ask Durgil for the forged blade, Silivren, so that he could show off his smithing prowess.

Slowly the sun arced over the sky and dusk settled on the land. From what they could see, Harizän had effectively moved most of his army across the river in just one day. The feat showed both the organization of the Easterlings and the fine craft of the river barge-men. While Dirnhael stood there, a couple of handlers and a team of horses approached the merchant ring. The Dúnadan could immediately recognize his horse and so noted to Edrahil, "T'would seem our merchant friend was able to procure our mounts from the River Cross Inn."

Moments later, Denn entered the encampment with the same simple smile upon his face, "Look at these fine beasts I have purchased! I will say that Crolm drove a hard bargain per head!"

Edrahil replied, "You mean the innkeep sold you our horses?"

With a wink and a whisper, "It was the safest means for me to get them. Think no ill of young Crolm; he has his own to safeguard. How have you fared here in your hideout?" Not waiting for an answer, the wine merchant looked to Fengel, "Hope not for any aid from the power that controls Ilanin for he is truly a spineless man and hides in his fortification, waiting for this threat to pass. Yet, there may be some unlooked for aid from the very mercenaries that guard the city. It seems that your friend there made an impact within the hall of Korman - stoked the fires of freedom, so to speak."

Denn elbowed Edrahil with his last words causing the Elf to step back and give the man a strange look. He continued, "Needless to say, there are some whispers on the streets that many of the guards would seek to oppose the Easterlings, but no one knows where the Noble of Arthedain has gone."

Edrahil spoke cautiously, "And it may be wise to remain so. Whispers on the street are not binding enough for us to announce our presence and rally the guard. What if their numbers are too few? What if there is not enough heart behind their words? Stoking the embers of dissent can be a time-consuming task."

Palandil

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 15, 2007, 08:14 AM
[OOC:] This is the quietest our game has ever been... something going on out there?

OOC: Sorry.  I have been a lot distracted by work and haven't been able to get into the game.  I will also be out of town Friday through Sunday.  I am also a little unsure right now of what to do.  Its not like the company can just go over and take them on.  But I do seem to remember an easterling said that Harizan could not deny a challenge...

IC: Fengel approached Dirnhael, the look of anger and concern on his face.  "I can't stand waiting for these wretches to gather their forces to attack my people.  And the thought of my sister in the hands of him is driving me insane!  We must be able to do something.  I remember one of Harizan's lackys told us that he was a man that could not refuse a challenge.  Perhaps if he will meet me in battle than maybe I can end this coming war before it starts.  If I am unsuccessful than I will at least be put out of my misery."
"I have come to you for council in this, though know that I am at the end of my grief."

tomcat

Quote from: Palandil on Nov 15, 2007, 09:16 AMOOC: Sorry.  I have been a lot distracted by work and haven't been able to get into the game.  I will also be out of town Friday through Sunday.  I am also a little unsure right now of what to do.  Its not like the company can just go over and take them on.  But I do seem to remember an easterling said that Harizan could not deny a challenge...

[OOC:] It's not a problem Paul, and don't let my comments sway your character's direction... I just wanted to make sure that we all are still out there and want to play. I can be held accountable too, because my posts have been kind of light the last couple weeks, but I have been planning out this battle between Harizan and Thuidmar, and I am not sure it is going to be roleplayed out or if it is going to be an aside because the PC's are not there.

This all sounds like I am in a pissy mood, and I promise I am not - I just want to make sure we all still want to play. 
;D

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Nov 15, 2007, 09:16 AM
IC: Fengel approached Dirnhael, the look of anger and concern on his face.  "I can't stand waiting for these wretches to gather their forces to attack my people.  And the thought of my sister in the hands of him is driving me insane!  We must be able to do something.  I remember one of Harizan's lackys told us that he was a man that could not refuse a challenge.  Perhaps if he will meet me in battle than maybe I can end this coming war before it starts.  If I am unsuccessful than I will at least be put out of my misery."
"I have come to you for council in this, though know that I am at the end of my grief."

"Then let us end that. As time passes, the fires stoked in mens' hearts begin to fade. Durgil, perhaps you and Nain may start quietly finding those among the guards that might aid our cause. Perhaps you could pose as a smith's assistant? Nain draws little attention due to his ease in the markets.
Fengel and I will look for weaknesses in the Easterlings' caravans - perhaps we can arrange a plan of attack that will free the prisoners and deal Harizan a blow all at once.
As for Edrahil - my friend, your perspective is often keener than ours; how could you best aid in our endeavor?"

Stefan

Nain was concerned for Fengel.  It would be good to fight but he wasn't sure that Fengel would sirvive the encounter.

"Fengel, my friend, I have no doubt of your martial skills, but what happens to your sister if you lose?  Even if we manage to rescue her later you're the only family that she has left.  I think another route would be the better part of valor."

He listened to Dirhael's plan.  It seemed like a good idea.

"I can easily move around the market as a smith.  Maybe Durgil could be my assistant.  He looks a little frail to be a smith but together we could probably make a passable pair,  especially if we could borrow the use of one of these wains.  I could easily set up a small shop and send my apprentice around on errands.  And of course I could visit the other merchants myself on occasion."

sdrotar

Nov 16, 2007, 07:42 AM #13 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007, 02:55 AM by sdrotar
Quote from: Stefan on Nov 16, 2007, 03:50 AM
Nain was concerned for Fengel.  It would be good to fight but he wasn't sure that Fengel would sirvive the encounter.

"Fengel, my friend, I have no doubt of your martial skills, but what happens to your sister if you lose?  Even if we manage to rescue her later you're the only family that she has left.  I think another route would be the better part of valor."

He listened to Dirhael's plan.  It seemed like a good idea.

"I can easily move around the market as a smith.  Maybe Durgil could be my assistant.  He looks a little frail to be a smith but together we could probably make a passable pair,  especially if we could borrow the use of one of these wains.  I could easily set up a small shop and send my apprentice around on errands.  And of course I could visit the other merchants myself on occasion."

Dirnhael nodded. "And this would give those who would join us the opportunity to hear from the inspiring 'young noble of Arthedain' directly," he said with a smile in Durgil's direction.

GandalfOfBorg

"It is good news to hear of the suasion of our argument.  Saying that, your's is a good plan but my face out of all of ours, save Edrahil, would likely be quickly recognized, which could certainly go ill for our cause.  My ability to disguise myself works well enough in the rough but the city is a different story and I likely wouldn't fair well to pass as Nain's assistant.  If there are those who are definite in their wish to strike against evil, bring them to us and we can forment a resistance.  Even if they don't go abroad to give aid, they may yet burn the bridges, so to speak, pinning Harizan against the river if he should flee," Durgil said.  Taking a momentary breath to pause, "Yet whatever we do, its needs to be fast.  Battle is soon to come to the men of Thuidmar, which we've probably played a hand at instigating or accelerating.  They may have a captain, but, if I read them correctly, Fengel will be needed as a lightning rod."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16