• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Ilanin by night

Started by tomcat, Aug 09, 2007, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: The intent is to ply her with food and drink to cough up info about the Easterlings she might know or have heard, unless Thermon has any other designs.  Also, in the end, lest something bad happens, see if she can do a little leg work for us in finding out info or possibly an info broker.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
[OOC:] Hey Shawn, Fengel and Dirnhael do not know anything of the minstrel's peculiar behavior. You two are only aware of the activity that Fengel saw across the river in the Easterling camp... and Fengel wanted to get a better look than what the poured glass was allowing.

I guess my OOC above caused this confusion - I corrected it so you guys can give me your input before I move you to the end locations.

OOC: OK. Then I'd suggest that they search for a better vantage point; preferably one where it doesn't look like they're spying... as Han Solo said in "Return of the Jedi", "I don't know... fly casual." ;)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Nikitas

Galudir followed Durgil and the lady towards the inn, but when they were a ways off from the river bank and the small crowd gathered there Galudir pulled her to the side. The impetuous Galudir immediately took to the matter at hand, "Although I am sure you are fine company, tonight me and my companion desire to know what you have noted about those Easterlings across the river. Do they come through into town often? Is there a quiet way to cross the river?..." reaching into his coin pouch and then into the lady's hand Galudir adds another silver piece to the bounty, "and of course we would appreciate your discretion on the matter."

Palandil

Concern for the where abouts of their friends crossed Fengel's brow.  However his immediate concern was across the river.

OOC: Fengel will continue on to a good vantage in which to fly casual. ;D

tomcat

Aug 27, 2007, 06:09 PM #34 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 06:41 PM by tomcat
The streets of Ilanin's main town were essentially a series of concentric ovals that had a main east west through-way bisecting it. The center oval was the main square and there was also a broadening of the road where it met the river. Though it was not a huge city, nor were there tremendous amounts of streets and avenues, still Ilanin could be quite maze-like, especially in the dark of night. The Company had spread throughout the many streets, each group with their own objective.

Nain and Edrahil followed the minstrel at a fair distance to keep the lad from realizing he was being pursued, but close enough not to lose him. The craftsman wondered what had happened to his swarthy friend.

The duo continued down the road as it bent south to run alongside the river heading towards the Carnen ford. On their left was a large, empty paddock for livestock and on the right was a series of shoddy houses. The minstrel disappeared in the second structure from the main throughway, shaded light shone from the windows.

Edrahil looked around, suddenly becoming aware of a presence, "Nain... I think there may be trouble."

The Dwarf looked towards the paddock where a set of glowing yellow eyes peered out from the shadows.

Fengel followed the river north a ways up to the outskirts of the town's center. The River Cross sat very close to the river already, but the Éothraim wanted to get a good view, all the while keeping covered. From the new vantage, the two companions watched as a large man, surrounded by an entourage, made discourse with another group. The second group was led by an intimidating shadow that sat atop a great mount and Dirnhael and Fengel both had trouble keeping their eyes upon him. Their hearts quailed each time they gazed upon the new stranger and it was apparent that his visitor troubled even Harizän.

Soon it was revealed why the travelers came when the Easterling leader issued commands and a group of individuals were led out from the main encampment to be apparently taken away.

"They have come for the prisoners!" hissed Fengel. He panicked in his heart. What if his sister had already been taken away by the horror that sat across the river? What if she were in the group that had just been relinquished by Harizän?

The silver penny quickly disappeared into a small pouch that the girl hid within her bosom and her face showed the semi-relief that the only apparent service needed here was information. She had no ties to anyone across the river... in fact she kind of feared them and thus stayed clear. Still, she was no fool - you did not live long on the streets being foolish. But there was no harm in telling these two men what she knew... they certainly had paid a hefty ransom.

"No," she said, answering one of Galudir's questions. "The ford is the only easy way across the river with or without a boat, otherwise yer swimming and the Carnen has proven the better to most who have tried. So if yer looking to get across, hire yerself a boat."

She looked around to make sure there was no one within earshot, "The Easterlings have been here for a few seasons. They don't come about much save to buy food and what not. They don't even come about fer a bit of lovin'! The leader is quite ferocious but he keeps his people to their side of the river... save those that ride through at night and go off west. Though... I haven't seen 'em ride off west in a whiles. In fact, somes just come back not long ago and not ridden 'cross the Carnen since. Theys used to bring people through at night," she paused as she looked back through her memories, then continued, "You know... youngers, female-folk... all of them plains people."

The girl pointed, "Theys keeps 'em over there fer a while... not sure wheres they go from there. I hear the big leader has a real passion fer the women... keeps a lot around him. They say he will fight any challenge." She laughed, "No men 'round here brave enough to make such challenge."

"Anyway," she shrugged wondering if she had given enough, "That's really alls I know. You lookin' to go over there?"

[OOC:] Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

Nain and Edrahil can give me Initiative, unless they wish to flee.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Aug 28, 2007, 06:54 AM #35 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 04:27 PM by tomcat
OOC: Initiative +2
Roll (2d6)+2: 1,5,+2=8

IC: Nain was startled by the eyes even though he'd noticed that the man the minstrel was with had disappeared.  He cursed himself for not coming the to the conclusion that he was waiting to ambush them just a few moments sooner as he reached for his axe.

GandalfOfBorg

"The sister of a friend of ours was taken by force some time ago." Durgil gives a description of what he believed the woman looked like.  "Have you ever seen her?  As for going over there, that would seem to be folly.  Do we look as though we're great men at arms, miss?" and he gives her a sideways smile.  "I know we cannot ask for more than your word that you won't spread this around, but we'd ask it anyways.  Less trouble for all is better."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Aug 28, 2007, 06:58 PM"The sister of a friend of ours was taken by force some time ago." Durgil gives a description of what he believed the woman looked like.  "Have you ever seen her?  As for going over there, that would seem to be folly.  Do we look as though we're great men at arms, miss?" and he gives her a sideways smile.

"I think you hide more than you seem..." she said looking at Durgil. "You are not from here, nor are you like any men I have seen in this region. But folly or not, I see in your eyes that your fate lies across the river."

She shook her eyes free from the young noble's charm, "I have seen no woman like this... although it has been overheard in whispers amongst the Easterlings that come to buy things in town that there is one spirited woman thrall in Harizän's stable. I have heard that she is his favorite and he keeps her as a trophy... the east men laugh as they discuss how she has tried many ways to kill their leader. Unfortunately, the last word that passed through the streets was that she had been broken... no longer having a will to fight, let alone live."

The young woman knew what it was to be a slave. She was a slave to her profession as well as to the man that kept her. She wondered why she did not fight or run... where would she go? Hearing stories of strong women and telling these tales amongst her fellow females gave them all strength and courage to continue. She suddenly was sad at what she had told Durgil and realized that she hoped, no prayed, that the woman thralls across the river still fought.

"If you'll be needing nothing else sirs, I will be on my way."

Fengel could take no more. He needed to know if his sister was across the river, enslaved by the Easterlings. He could not wait longer only to find that she had been sent east to some unknown fate. But what if she already had?

He made up his mind. The Éothraim turned to Dirnhael, "It is said that this Harizän the Easterling will accept any challenge. I will challenge him to a duel for the life of my sister and the removal of his people from our lands. I will not see anymore of my folk harmed when I can change this with a single guantlet thrown."

Even in the dark of night, Dirnhael could see Fengel's eyes flare with his fiery determination.

[OOC:] Paul, you have not been able to post much and so I am adding some story for Fengel. If you do not prefer he takes this course, let me know before this thread moves on. - Doug

Nain heard a growl emanate from the shadows as he drew his axe from his back. Behind the Dwarf craftsman, Edrahil also drew forth his sword and the two strode forward to meet their challenger, all the while the Sindar chanting.

[OOC:] For Nain and Edrahil, combat will go into a new set of combat round threads. For everyone else, the story will continue in this one... unless you guys come to the river crossing and see your companions in combat and thus join.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
"I think you hide more than you seem..." she said looking at Durgil. "You are not from here, nor are you like any men I have seen in this region. But folly or not, I see in your eyes that your fate lies across the river."

[snip!]

"If you'll be needing nothing else sirs, I will be on my way."
Such a burden it was for Durgil at times to see those suffer with little to nothing while he had had all he needed and more growing up and even now.  The sadness in the young woman touched his heart, but her keen perception put him off a little.  "Thank you," he said with sincerity.  "If you hear of any other news my friend and I might be interested, please send word to us at the River Cross."

"Just one last detour I think before we tuck in for the night.  What say you Thermon: check out the crossing to see what we can see and then back to the inn?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
Fengel could take no more. He needed to know if his sister was across the river, enslaved by the Easterlings. He could not wait longer only to find that she had been sent east to some unknown fate. But what if she already had?

He made up his mind. The Éothraim turned to Dirnhael, "It is said that this Harizän the Easterling will accept any challenge. I will challenge him to a duel for the life of my sister and the removal of his people from our lands. I will not see anymore of my folk harmed when I can change this with a single guantlet thrown."

Dirnhael grabbed his friend's arm forcefully.
"And what if you lose? Koskas was at least my match, and even he is subservient to Harizän," he practically spat.
"You will be dead, your sister will remain a slave, and your people will still be overrun. This is folly!"

Dirnhael understood the rage that boiled in Fengel's blood, but he would not let him cast aside his life for nothing.
"Even if you were victorious, do you really believe that his men would simply let you walk out of their camp and they would march back to the East with their tails between their legs?"

His voice softened a bit.
"No, my friend. We will drive this rabble from your lands, and reunite you with your kin - and we will do it together."

He looked about Ilanin; the night sky cloaked it in shadows, and all about, the darkness seeped into every corner.
"But it will not happen this night. Come, let us find our companions so we may plan Harizän's downfall as one."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] Great posts guys! I love this game!  :>

tomcat

Fengel hesitated and Dirnhael was not completely sure he had convinced his friend that the challenge was not the right decision, but then the Éothraim turned to follow.

"So," asked an angry Fengel, "What or who do you suppose it is sitting atop that mount? It put fear in my heart to even behold his shape."

The two men continued back south along the river, back towards the River Cross - at the same time, Galudir and Durgil walked north towards where the road came to the river.

[OOC:] Matt and Nikitas, if you guys continue up the road towards the river crosssing, you will come to the combat going on. It will take you guys until Round 5 to get there and of course you guys know nothing about it.

Shawn and Paul, let me know where or what you guys wanna do. If you followed the river south, you too would come to the combat but it will not be until Round 6.

Nikitas

With a voice that betrayed his growing need for rest, Galudir answered Durgil "Yes, well, lead on and I will follow." Once away from the lady, Galudir added, "If only there were a quiet way across the river, we could end this occupation with but a single slice of a dagger." Galduir knew that some of his methods may seem dishonorable to the rest of the company and he would readily admit that they were. But in the rogue's estimation a battle avoided is a victory earned.

Palandil

Fengel could not shake the thought of his people let alone his sister being dragged of to the east as slaves.  "Dirnhael, we should at least move across the river and try to save my people.  What about an ambush some where east?"

OOC: Could Fengel see how many men were in this new contingent?

tomcat

Aug 30, 2007, 10:14 AM #44 Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 11:34 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Paul, it is too dark to discern the numbers in either group as everyone seems to be milling about (including the captives).