• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Ilanin by night

Started by tomcat, Aug 09, 2007, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 09, 2007, 07:31 PM Last Edit: Aug 09, 2007, 07:51 PM by tomcat
The Company sat and talked to Denn through their dinner and through another bottle of wine, but then found their tongues were tired. The merchant had become a bit enebriated and thus his pace of conversation slowed down until the man just sat and looked about with a big smile and dreamy eyes.

The common room of the River Cross began to fill as the afternoon sun waned and dusk settled in. Smoke began to cloud the room and the noise of laughter and conversation rose about them. Still the Company sat and watched - for danger and for the amusement of seeing what seemed typical of any common room, in any town, in Middle-earth. Men broke out in great boughts of laughter as the beer flowed and the few women in the room eyed each other in embarassment of their mates. Some women circled the room with other intentions, looking for the few men that may be in need of companionship and who had real coins to spare.

Crolm came back to the table where Fengel and his friends sat to check on their needs all through the evening; it was obvious the man wanted to provide the best of service to those who had gold coins in their possession. From the proprietor of the River Cross, the Company learned that Denn (who had risen and left the inn) was a common face around the city and truly did have a lucrative business. Crolm also let them know that the mayor of Ilanin taxed heavy most traveling merchants to the city so that they could afford the strength of guards to assure the safety of the residents. Finally, they learned that though Harizän and his men were encamped across the river, they were not seen much in the city proper. Mainly they only came into town for supplies, or to sell the supplies they seemed to garner from the south.

"The area is quite peaceful really," Crolm observed. "The wain riders move through this area at times but this is the longest I have seen any group remain... been almost three seasons."

Nain laughed as he watched another fool of a performer who had come into the common room some twenty minutes ago. The thin lad was standing on his hands while he had some of the patrons rest their crocks upon the flats of his boots. The boy stated his objective was to balance on one hand while he grabbed each mug, one at a time, and would chug them... all while upside down. Nain understood the bet to be that if the boy failed, then he would have to buy a round for the table of men who had provided the mugs - if he was successful, then he would be given a silver piece. The Dwarf thought that Men had too much time on their hands.

All the while, no one of Harizän's folk came to disturb the River Cross Inn, or the Company. All the while, the young minstrel played his lute and laughed with his fellow performer.

[OOC:] Actions - and / or - Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Aug 10, 2007, 01:15 PM #1 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2007, 07:52 PM by sdrotar
"I will take my leave of you," Dirnhael said to the Company while setting down his mug upon the table. "May you sleep well."
He looked forward to a night of rest in a bed for a change - it had been some time, and Dirnhael still considered it a luxury.

(EDIT to insert Fengel's dialogue)

Dirnhael paused. Fengel was right, of course. The comfort of the inn and a full belly had gotten the best of him for a moment.
"Yes," he said. "We have already attracted attention from the Easterlings." He thought back to Durgil's brash-but-brave actions as they entered the town.
"I would appreciate your diligence." He would be certain to return the favor soon enough.

(EDIT to insert Durgil's dialogue)

He noticed the gleam in the young noble's eye. "Take care," he said firmly. "Take no chances - we will be far stronger together come morning."

After securing the room and making himself comfortable enough to sleep, he drifted into dreams of Ioreth, fair Rivendell, and the life that seemed so very far away in these lands.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

As Dirnhael rose from the table, Fengel stood and grabbed his shoulder, "I do not think it wise for us to relax while we are here.  Remember how Koskas came into our camp at the Three Tears.  We should at least have two to a room and take shifts watching."  Fengel nodded to the rest of the company, drank the rest of his brew, then walked with Dirnhael.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: What is the weather like out this night?  overcast? moon in the sky?

As it come late, Durgil fancied a bit of leg work was in order before he turned in.  "Thermon (or whatever name we know him by, i keep forgetting), do you think you could put off the comforts of a bed a while longer and stretch your legs with me?  I would like to see to the horses ere I retire."  He gives a surreptitious wink and a look that seeing to the horses may not be all that are looked in on.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Nikitas

OOC: Yep it's Thermon, it's Galudir when I go into 'narrator mode'. Silly rogues and their names.  ;D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir tapped his hands on his full belly as he leaned back in his chair, "Yes Durgil, I suppose I should take a bit of a walk. If only to aid in digestion." With that Galudir left the table and casually followed Durgil out of the inn.

tomcat

Aug 13, 2007, 07:16 AM #5 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2007, 05:31 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Matt, it is a warm breezy night with the hint of rain in the air. There is little starlight due to the cloud cover and the moon is not out. City torchlight is maintained down the main thoroughways of the town and they gutter in the wind, but provide shadowy light.

Durgil and Galudir walk from the River Cross and into the night-shrouded horse paddock. Lanterns glow in various corners of the stable yard and provide enough light for the stable hand to perform his nightly tasks. The two could also see the town was dimly lit by torchlight braziers and from the inner glow of homes and businesses.

The wind tussled their hair as they looked about. There was little movement looking back towards the main square of the town save in the few places of business that catered to people of the night - otherwise it was the city guard keeping watch, walking in pairs.

As they stood looking about, the stable hand came up, "Good eve sirs. Can I fetch your horses?"

Back inside, Nain and Edrahil sat alone. It was evident to the Dwarf that the Elf would not be going to sleep anytime soon as he ordered another glass of wine. The Dwarf liked how the mage was able to drink... too bad he was an Elf.

Edrahil sat and stared at the minstrel who was making a good fare for the night. He had not approached them since he came in the inn earlier. Didn't he want to increase his inventory of tales? He was busy... the room was full.

"Maybe suspicion is taking to great ahold of me," though the Sindar.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Aug 13, 2007, 08:19 AM #6 Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007, 08:23 AM by GandalfOfBorg
"No, no," says Durgil holding up a hand. "We've just come to see how they fare."  Looking around, he comments, "I'm glad to see such a stable full isn't too much for you to handle.  I think this should satisfy our elf friend, don't you, Thermon?"  Turning back to the lad, "You wouldn't happen to know of any place that entertains so late into the eve?  We wish to experience the local flavour and all it can offer while we're here.  I think preferably not where those East-men frequent -- such an ill favour is about them."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

"Well good sirs, my Master Crolm keeps his common room open as late as needed for those that will. You'll find the Ebb -n- Flo serving until the late hours too. Other than that, there are some small places along the river but certainly they'd be of no interest."

The boy continued, "Sure don't have to worry 'bout the Easterlings... they keep to their own 'cross the river."

GandalfOfBorg

"Ah well, Ebb'n'Flow it is, my good man."  Handing the boy the spare copper in his pocket, all 16, "Thank you for the advice," and head begins to head in a direction of the establishment. Once out of earshot, he whispers to Thermon, "To the river, shall we?"  Once the coast is clear, he ducks into a dark passageway and makes for the riverside establishments.

OOC: Stealth (Sneak) - (4+3)+4+2=13
          Stealth (Hide) - (4+3)+4+2=13
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Aug 16, 2007, 10:53 AM #9 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007, 10:55 AM by tomcat
The two men became shadows amongst the buildings and shacks that made up Ilanin. They splashed through puddles and leapt over piles of refuse as they maneuvered south towards the river, and both were pleased to see that there was little traffic on the main throughways of the town.

Galudir turned a corner only to be startled by another shadowy figure standing there and his hand fell immediately to his sword hilt. A voice emanated, "Spare a silver?"

With a discouraged shake of the head, Galudir pushed past the beggar and continued on. The rogue had a better instinct for the urban landscape and so Durgil was content to follow. The sound of the river and laughter began to grow as they slipped from the shadows onto a lane that ran along the water and a series of structures. Some were workshops; some warehouses; and others were small dilapidated shacks where lived the long shoremen, but at this hour not a few were places of gathering for the locals who either did not have the coin or the desire to patronize the finer inns.

A cacaphony of shouts came from an open-sided barn and Galudir and Durgil could see a ring of men standing in a large circle, pushing and shoving to see whatever was going on within the center. Pipe smoke and spilled beer wafted in the air and the sound of jingling coins could be heard.

The two companions realized what the event was as a large, bloodied rooster was held aloft to the cry, both of glee and sorrow, of its victory. Laughter and shouts followed as bets were distributed. Some men walked from the circle, obvious losers that no longer had anything to wager, while behind them, those that remained prepared for another contest. Other men gathered in smaller groups outside the large circle and talked quietly amongst themselves or to the women who began to hover about. Galudir and Durgil became aware that they were also being inspected by the various people around them.

"Your pleasure good sir?" asked a lilting voice. Durgil turned to see a young girl standing beside him, her fingers walking up his padded shoulder.

[OOC:] Actions - and / or - Dialogue?

GandalfOfBorg

Still playing the his assumed role, he smiled at her, "It's not often I get a proposition from such a fetching young thing, but tonight is business for me and my friend... business of the kind that you aren't interested in."  Spurning her advance for moment, the young Dunadan had an idea and turned back to her.  "But maybe you might be interested in a proposition of mine," he said, flashing a penny of silver for only her to see.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Aug 17, 2007, 05:19 AM #11 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2007, 07:07 AM by tomcat
The young girl's eyes widened at the site and a smile broadened across her face, "What do you need?"

Back at the River Cross, Fengel yawned as he sat in the candlelit room - Dirnhael slept and the Éothraim had taken the first watch. Sounds of the common room below could be heard, muffled from the floor, but it did not bother the Dúnadan in falling asleep. They were all tired.

Fengel rose and walked to the paned window. The poured glass made the light of torches burning outside sparkle and flare; beyond the light was murky darkness. Across the river, the camp of Harizän was still lit and the warrior could see people moving around. He gritted his teeth at the thought that his sister could be captive there. So close...

The Éothraim's keen night eyes caught a sudden movement of men on horseback approaching from the east of Harizän's camp. Folk from the main encampment broke away from the firelight to go and greet them.

"Damned glass!" cursed Fengel at the swirled panes that broke up the features of what was going on.

Edrahil had not gotten up to meet the minstrel. He watched and listened, occasionally smiling at the tales being weaved; all the while taking quiet sips from his glass. Nain had gotten tired of the lack of conversation and had moved to a table that hosted some of his kinfolk. They had arrived, looking well-traveled, just an hour prior. To his pleasure, the craftsman learned that the Dwarves were an expedition out of the Grey Mountains come into Ilanin for supplies - and to sell some of the gems they had procured in the Iron Hills!

Nain's eyes suddenly caught Edrahil's from across the tables - the Elf nodded in the direction of the minstrel. Nain looked to see a swarthy fellow talking to the young lad as they walked from the inn.

GandalfOfBorg

Aug 17, 2007, 12:38 PM #12 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2007, 05:08 PM by tomcat
Ah, well Durgil hadn't gotten that far in his plan.  He opened his mouth to speak then shut it realizing it was agape.  He looked for help from Thermon.  "Um, maybe a bite to eat in a quiet place.  I'm famished, how about you?  Know any place good?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

The young girl's face displayed her confusion, "Well if you are wanting to eat and you have that kind of coin then you can do far better for yourself at the River Cross or Ebb-n-Flo. You won't find anything here that you will like... and you may want to be careful of flashing that kind of money down here at night."

Stefan

"Excuse me friends."

Nain stood and followed the minstrel out of the bar.  He wasnt sure if there was something that the minstrel could tell the man or if he was just in danger but he figured if the elf was motioning for him then it was probably important.  He walked out the front of the bar and looked around to see if he could find them in the dark.