• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 31, 2024, 02:50 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The River Cross Inn

Started by tomcat, Jul 25, 2007, 05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan

OOC: I posted the other day shortly after the minstrel appeared but it seems to have vanished.  Oh well.

IC: Nain stands and taps out his pipe. 

"Aye, I smell a dinner and keg.  Come visit us in an hour or so after the beer's begun to flow and I expect that we'll both hear a tale or two."

He turned and headed inside after his elf friend to order a decent meal and libation.

tomcat

Jul 30, 2007, 04:02 PM #16 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2007, 05:10 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Stefan on Jul 30, 2007, 04:04 AMOOC: I posted the other day shortly after the minstrel appeared but it seems to have vanished.  Oh well.

Quote from: merchant DennInside the common room, one patron was also quite interested in the manner of the Company. A rotund merchant with soup stains upon his linen shirt turned to the men, "Well you are all a strange sight. I recognize one of the plains-people* sure enough, but men of Gondor too! And an Elf and Dwarf! I am Denn and I hale from the small town of Dale. You must tell me your tale! What brings you all the way here to Ilanin?"

[OOC:] Hey Stefan, I don't know what happened to it either!  :( Is there anything that Nain would have said to the minstrel that would be good to get into the dialogue? Let me know...

As far as the other quote, did you guys (Fengel, Dirnhael, Durgil, Galudir) have any interest in talking to the inquisitive merchant? He addressed the group when Nain and Edrahil were still outside. I will move on the story with my next post otherwise.

Edrahil nodded at Durgil as the Company once again sat together and dined, "Aye... we are quite fortunate. I will ask our host to see if one of the rooms we have acquired can be on the second floor at the east end of the inn."

At the far end of the common room, the young minstrel had set up his lute and spread out a series of parchments on a rickety looking stand. Edrahil watched the youth as he slowly tuned his instrument.

"T'would seem that Crolm has opened his room to one of the local entertainers. The boy seems to know a little about the Easterlings... I suggest we earn his trust."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Galudir took the initiative and distracted the merchant asking about the company's business as the others concerned themselves with the matter of the Easterlings. With a booming voice and wide gestures, Galudir addressed the man sitting at the nearby table, "You would think so good burgher, but the truth is, as my father would say, that all sorts come out on the road. Necessity is the mother of all fellowship, at least that's so these days. My name is Thermon by the way, a vagabond by trade, if you can call that a trade." Galudir paused only just enough to chuckle at his own joke, but then continued to blather on. "Well what can I say about our little band here. There's Dirnhael and Durgil, they are a respectable sort of men from Arthedain. That other one there is a local; I'm not quite sure how we picked him up." Galudir pointed at Fengel but didn't offer his name out of caution. "Those two fellows coming back in now, Nain the Dwarf and Edrahil the Elf, they seek out their own purposes that I freely confess are alien to me. What can be known of the minds of tunnel diggers and tree fondlers, am I right? Ah, but I have been neglectful, who are you good sir and what sort of business occupies your time?" Galudir attempted to dazzle the merchant with words, offering as little as possible, while hopefully drawing little attention to the band. Hide in plain sight was his tutor's motto; a silent, cloaked, figure in a dark corner, Galdur had learned, is far more suspicious than a boisterous group enjoying a good meal and drink in the middle of a room.

sdrotar

Dirnhael listened intently to Thermon's banter.
As a man uncomfortable in most social situations, Dirnhael was always relieved to see that between Durgil's flowery formality and Thermon's silver tongue, he often had little need to do more than listen.
That, at least, he was good at.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

OOC: I'm sure it was something witty as Nain is always the life of the party, but it was early last Friday and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning.  Sorry :(

GandalfOfBorg

"Though it would do to correct a minor error, my friend Dirnhael and I come from Gondor by way of Arthedain, no more... visiting cousins you see," said Durgil, looking crossways at Dirnhael and then back to Thermon saying with his gaze that no more truth need be uttered than required while in unfriendly lands.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Aug 01, 2007, 11:38 AM #21 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007, 11:47 AM by tomcat
Denn gave a great guffaw at the lively rogue's greeting and a gleam of pleasure sparkled in his eye. The merchant replied back to Galudir's comments with many a - "To true, to true!", or an, "I know what you mean!". The information revealed about Dirnhael and Durgil brought a look of wonder to the man's face, even when it had been corrected by Durgil, but still the merchant gave a long, "Oooh!"

"I've never made such a long journey to the great kingdoms of the south or the legendary realms of the west! And here you find yourselves on the very rim of what you might call civilization," Denn laughed. "Must have been necessity indeed to bring such a fellowship together and to have come so far."

The heavy set man turned his chair to sit facing the Company's table and he tried to wedge himself into the group. Setting his wine bottle on their table after he had filled his own glass, "I am Denn as I said earlier and I am from the town of Dale to the north. We are not unaccustomed to dealing with Elven-folk, or the Dwarves and so I am familiar with their strange oddities. I am a cooper by trade but have grown my business beyond the making of barrels! I now deal primarily with what they contain. I sojourn down to Ilanin at the mid of each season to load up on the Dorwinion vintners' fine craft and bear it back to Dale. From there I make a lucrative trade with the Elves of Greenwood, the Dwarves of the Iron Hills and my own folk."

A look of self-pride shone on the merchant's face as if he were pleased with all he had accomplished in his life - by his weight and seeming carelessness, it looked like he was over-enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Edrahil spoke, "I am not sure it is us who may be called odd, but I have never been to the Elven Realm in Greenwood - you have traveled there?"

"No, no!" laughed the merchant, "Your folk come to Dale and trade... the realm of the Elves is closed to us."

Nain also was clouded with a bit of confusion. He had not heard of any of his kin or any of the other houses that had made a home in the Iron Hills.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Aug 02, 2007, 04:34 AM #22 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007, 06:44 AM by tomcat
The man's words peaked Nain's curiousity when he mentioned trading in the contents of his barrels. Nain could claim some small skill in brewing and found it interesting, though it was more of a hobby than anything.  The mention of Dwarves in Dale was something of a shock and he asked the man with one eyebrow raised.

"Dwarves you say? I don't recall any kin of mine living so far from the Iron Hills, by what name do these Dwarves call themselves?"

tomcat

Aug 03, 2007, 06:52 AM #23 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007, 06:56 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Stefan on Aug 02, 2007, 04:34 AM"Dwarves you say? I don't recall any kin of mine living so far from the Iron Hills, by what name do these Dwarves call themselves?"

"Did I say 'living in Dale'?" Denn looked surprised, but then smiled. "No my good Dwarf - your folk live in the Iron Hills. At least a small expedition of them do - that is what they call it. And what name? Well my contact is Finli (and a few others) who comes into Dale on a monthly basis for various supplies, including my wine!"

[OOC:]Outside information for players (not for character knowledge) - The Iron Hills were not formerly settled until about 2500 T.A., well after the fall of Khazad-dûm. This and the quote below being said, I am assuming for our story and time period that the Dwarves would still send out small campaigns or expeditions to investigate the worth of a geological formation. This could be how Thror knew to lead his people to Erebor.

Quote from: Encyclopedia of ArdaA people of the Dwarves belonging to the clan of the Longbeards, otherwise known as Durin's Folk. About half a millennium before the War of the Ring, the Dwarves of this clan dwelt in the northern Grey Mountains, but they were greatly troubled by dragons in that region. After King Dáin I was slain by one of these dragons, his surviving sons led an exodus into the east. Dáin's elder son Thrór recreated the Kingdom under the Mountain at Erebor, while his younger brother Grór led a part of the people further into the east, to settle among the Iron Hills.

It seems that the two related peoples remained on friendly terms with one another. Years later, when Thrór's descendant Thorin Oakenshield sent to the Iron Hills for aid in restoring Erebor, Grór's grandson Dáin Ironfoot (named after his illustrious ancestor Dáin I) sent many armoured Dwarves. As events developed, the Dwarves of the Iron Hills proved crucial in winning the ensuing Battle of Five Armies. Thorin died in that battle, and with him the royal line of Thrór. Through his ancestor Grór, the Kingship of Durin's Folk then fell on Dáin. As Dáin II, he removed from the Iron Hills, and re-established a kingdom under the Lonely Mountain.

tomcat

[OOC:] I see Paul has been on daily, but I am not sure if he has been unable to post for some reason (technical problem?). In any case, I am going to post for Fengel. If this is not the case Paul, and you do not want to have Fengel speak right now... let me know.

It was Fengel who spoke next and ire filled his every word. He had been indifferent about the merchant's label of he and his folk, but the sheer pleasure the man exuded due to his and the town's mercantile success had flared the embers within his heart.

"And I suppose that you turn a blind-eye to the trade of men, women and children within the confines of this town," he hissed. "Or do you applaud your fellow merchants no matter the fare?"

The question caused everyone at the table to stop, and side glance towards the other, wondering if trouble may have just been stirred. Denn looked hard at Fengel, wondering if the man joked. His jovial mood quailed, he answered, "I assure you good sir that neither I nor any of my fellow merchants practice in the trade or purchase of slaves. It is an outlawed practice by the mayor of this fair city, but if you mean to imply that I would do such a thing, then my interest in conversing here is done."

Fengel stood his ground, "You sit here and pride your achievements and tell me you know nothing of the treatment of my folk to the south and west at the hands of the Easterlings? In fact the very Easterling that resides along the shores of this city?"

"T'would seem you are misguided if you believe that the folk of Ilanin have any alliance with the wain-riders that are encamped on the eastern shore. My understanding from the local talk is that the city has been pressuring them to move on by forbidding them encampment on the western side of the Carnen. The mayor has also squeezed off any resupply to their stores, though there are a few traders that have less of a conscience." Denn finalized, "But still, the Easterlings are strong and we are not at war with them... and so, they may camp where they will."

He forcefully stated his last words and slid his chair back meaning to separate from the group - offended as he was. Edrahil interceded feeling that there was more to be gained by talking to this merchant, "Denn... forgive us. Forgive Fengel. If you knew the hardships his folk have faced due to the presence of the Easterlings, you might understand. Fengel has lost his home, his sister, and it is all tied to Harizän."

"So that is why you are here?" The question left them all speechless again. It came down now to trust. Did they trust this stranger? Essentially, it didn't matter anymore.

"We are here to help Fengel find his sister," said the Elf. "Though the practice is forbidden, have you heard anything of the Éothraim-folk being brought here and forced over the river as prisoners or slaves?"

A smile broadened on the merchant's face, "Well if you needed help... why didn't you just ask me! I personally know nothing of it but if you don't mind me making some quiet inquiries, I may be able to learn something. There has been no open transportation of prisoners across the river here in Ilanin."

Fengel breathed in deep and quelled his temper, "I'd appreciate any help you may be able to provide, but I beg you to keep this secret for my sister's life may be in your hands."

Denn became serious once more, "On my honour I will help if I can." He then grabbed his bottle of wine and filled all available cups, "Come let us make a toast to our alliance!"

In the background, the minstrel began to play and sing a song of strange lands far away.

[OOC:] Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

sdrotar

Dirnhael vowed silently to cut the man down himself if he was lying; but perhaps they had found an ally, and Dirnhael would keep an open mind. But what concerned the Dunedan was "why".

He decided to find out the answer.

"What compels you to help us," he asked sternly. "Your offer is appreciated, of course, but what advantage does helping us get you? Is it coin you seek? Protection? Why risk yourself for strangers?"

He locked eyes with the man; trying to gauge the measure of the merchant.

Palandil

OOC:Sorry, I have been keeping up I just haven't had time for a thought.  I have become the new Youth Pastor at my church which is a full time position and I will be quite busy transitioning.  I will continue to post though.  Thanks Doug for posting for me, you pretty much have Fengel pegged.

Stefan

Nain thought for a moment taking a large drink from his tankard then setting it down and scratching his beard.

"I don't know that I've ever met Finli.  Humph, another place i'll need to visit to meet long lost kin. "

And he took another drink emptying the cup. Then shouting to the bartender.

"Another round!"

tomcat

Aug 06, 2007, 07:28 AM #28 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2007, 07:29 AM by tomcat
Quote from: sdrotar on Aug 03, 2007, 05:36 PMDirnhael vowed silently to cut the man down himself if he was lying; but perhaps they had found an ally, and Dirnhael would keep an open mind. But what concerned the Dunadan was "why".

"What compels you to help us," he asked sternly. "Your offer is appreciated, of course, but what advantage does helping us get you? Is it coin you seek? Protection? Why risk yourself for strangers?"

Their eyes locked, Denn also took measure of the man before him. "Your road must have been harrowing indeed if it has eroded your trust and belief in others to now think that a man may only do something to help for the betterment of his own pocket."

The merchant's smile was gone and he was very serious, "If you prefer that I make no inquiries on your behalf, then I won't and will go on my way, but if you would like help from an honest man, then it is offered. Besides, whose to say that my pocket will not be bettered with the removal of the east men and their bullying ways here? So maybe it is selfishness... I prefer seeing it as one man helping another and mutually benefiting."

He took a pull of wine, "So tell me, would you like my unrecompensed aid or do we chalk this up as a happy meet and then go on our way. In either case, it would now seem that you still need to trust me."

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 06, 2007, 07:28 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Aug 03, 2007, 05:36 PMDirnhael vowed silently to cut the man down himself if he was lying; but perhaps they had found an ally, and Dirnhael would keep an open mind. But what concerned the Dunadan was "why".

Their eyes locked, Denn also took measure of the man before him. "Your road must have been harrowing indeed if it has eroded your trust and belief in others to now think that a man may only do something to help for the betterment of his own pocket."

The merchant's smile was gone and he was very serious, "If you prefer that I make no inquiries on your behalf, then I won't and will go on my way, but if you would like help from an honest man, then it is offered. Besides, whose to say that my pocket will not be bettered with the removal of the east men and their bullying ways here? So maybe it is selfishness... I prefer seeing it as one man helping another and mutually benefiting."

He took a pull of wine, "So tell me, would you like my unrecompensed aid or do we chalk this up as a happy meet and then go on our way. In either case, it would now seem that you still need to trust me."

"There is no question that your days here will be bettered by the removal of the men from the East," said Dirnhael. "Our road has indeed been long, and we have tales that could take minstrels many months to tell. I meant no offense, but our party was once larger than it is today, and I intend to lose no more from our numbers. You are a merchant - a man who lives off the trust of his customers, earned by the quality of his wares. Certainly, you can appreciate a 'buyer' that looks for that quality before committing to a 'sale', no?"