• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 05:56 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The River Cross Inn

Started by tomcat, Jul 25, 2007, 05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 25, 2007, 05:58 AM Last Edit: Jul 25, 2007, 06:24 AM by tomcat
The companions rode into the stabling yard of the River Cross Inn and dismounted. They stretched their legs from the long ride and saw about the securing of their horses to the hitching posts that were abundant in the yard, for there appeared to be no stable hand.

"Quaint looking place," said Edrahil as he looked about. He was becoming very accustomed to the world of Men and had begun to appreciate their skills at architecture. It was certainly not on the calibur of his Elven kin, but still the place looked warm and inviting. Only the backdrop despoiled the image for over the river could be seen the large encampment of Harizän the Easterling, and there appeared to be some activity going on. A large crowd was gathered there, sitting in a large circle spectating some form of entertainment.

Edrahil averted his eyes from their enemy and went about unpacking the few things he needed from his horse. He unhooked his sword and slung it over his back using his belt like a baldric, and checked to make sure Silturma was also close at hand. He tied down the flaps on his saddlebags to make it difficult to pilfer any items off his horse and then went to join his friends.

The River Cross was a wooden structure that sat atop a stone and mortar foundation - large stones that surely came from the river. There were shuttered windows that had framed panes of glass along a long, covered front porch. Rocking chairs sat vacant on the porch for the few patrons that wished to sit outside to smoke, chat, or just enjoy the out of doors. The building was two storys and thin slates shingled the roof. The grounds were well-kempt and the front door was open, inviting any to enter.

The Company stepped inside and were immediately assaulted with the smell of lunch or dinner being prepared. The common room of the inn was empty for the most part, save a few travelers that sat about. The patrons were merchants to be sure who either stepped away from their trades to take lunch, or were wealthy enough to have servants handle the business while they relaxed and enjoyed the town's comforts.

A tall, young man with sand-coloured hair smiled at Durgil as he came from a back room, the kitchen maybe, and saw his new guests.

"Welcome to my home!" he said walking up and extending his hand. "I am Crolm. Can I seat you for some lunch, or will you be needing accomodations?"

Nain answered, "I've got a pony out there that will be in need of some apples soon or he's apt to become quite cranky."

Crolm's face twisted into a scowl, "Was that boy not out there? He is a lazy lob indeed... probably sleeping in the barn! I will see your steeds are taken care of. Now, what can I do for you?"

[OOC:] Actions and / or Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil takes the man's hand with vigor and a pleasant smile.  "We have it on good authority that this is the place to be in Ilanin.  Lunch, yes, and I think it is safe to say that we'll need some rooms for at least the night....maybe longer," he said, looking at his friends.  "Mind the palfrey, she can be a little tempermental... think she's a queen, she does."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Nikitas

Galudir nearly collapses in a great sigh of relief as the innkeeper greeted them. Moving forward, the rogue reaches into his coin pouch and nudges Durgil a bit to the side as he hands the innkeeper a gold piece. "Listen here my good host, I will take the finest room you have. I need a warm bath prepared and a large bed, overly stuff with goose down, send your man to go fetch some more geese if you must. I do not know what sort of food you are accustomed to around here, but I want the very best of it. And be sure to keep the wine flowing." Galudir's request came at such a fast pace he needed a deep breath to recover. He turned back to the company, a beaming smile on his face. After the months of travel and fighting, the rogue was finally able to enjoy even the meager luxuries an inn could provide.

sdrotar

Jul 25, 2007, 10:35 PM #3 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2007, 10:44 PM by sdrotar
Ignoring Thermon's breathless requests to the slack-jawed host, Dirnhael surveyed the interior of the inn, looking at the denizens more than the architecture.
He admitted to himself that he looked forward to a mug of ale and a hearty meal, once he was certain that things were safe enough.

In this town, their motley party would certainly attract some attention.
Two Dunedain nobles (if Dirnhael counted himself - and he most certainly did not), one Eothraim, a Dwarf, an Elf, and one - at the moment, at least - addled rogue intent on spoiling himself? They'd only attract more glances if they had landed on winged steeds!

When they were seated, he took the chair with its back to the wall - if there was to be trouble, he wanted to see it coming.
Then Dirnhael finally took a deep breath, and allowed himself a moment to relax and enjoy the company of his friends.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Nain waited for a moment as the men talked.  He was not terribly suprised by Thermon's request but was a little disgusted by his display.  On the other hand some roast goose and a keg of beer sounded pretty good right now.  He decided he'd go out and make sure that the boy was taking care of Jethro properly and take a look about the place.

"Take care to add a pint or two to that order, I'll be outside."

He stepped out the door, walked over to his pack and pulled the pipe and some week from his saddlebags.  He leaned against the side of the house while he waited for the boy and smoked, looking at the village and it's people as they walked by.

tomcat

Jul 26, 2007, 07:19 AM #5 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 07:24 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Nikitas, is your gold piece (GP) intended to set up the whole Company, or is it only for Galudir's comforts?

If the former, what is the setup? One room each? You guys bunking together, a couple to a room? And how many nights?

Let me know so I can reply for Crolm. Thanks!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel sat next to Dirnhael, also wanting to be ready if trouble presented itself.  He however could not relax.  Just the thought of the enemy of his people being so close, and hopefully Gleowyn, made him all the more anxious.  "I think that we should sleep at least two to a room, especially after what happened at the Three Tears."  He stated to Dirnhael.  Then he addressed Edrahil, "While we wait for our meal could you survey the camp.  I am curious as to the cheering that we have heard since our arrival."

tomcat

Jul 26, 2007, 11:21 AM #7 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 11:30 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Costs for the River Cross Inn:

Lodging: Fine room - 1 sp; Ordinary room - 75 cp; Bath 50 cp

Food and Drink:
Ale (mug) - 15 cp
Wine, glass (Dorwinion) - 50 cp
Meal, fine - 1 sp + 25 cp
Meal, ordinary - 65 cp
Pipeweed, pouch - 2 sp

Money breakdown:
1 Gold piece (GP) = 4 gp or 4 SP or 16 sp or 1600 cp*
1 Gold penny (gp) = 1 SP or 4 sp or 400 cp*
1 Silver piece (SP) = 1 gp or 4 sp or 400 cp*
1 Silver penny (sp) = 100 cp*
* copper penny

So, to accomodate everyone, two to a room (except Galudir that seems to want his own), will cost 3 sp and 25 cp for 1 night. The baths will cost 3 sp for the company and to feed the group an ordinary lunch, dinner, then breakfast will be 11 sp and 70 cp (this does not include beverages).

Total 17 sp and 95 cp, or the 1 GP that Galudir paid plus 1 sp and 95 cp (or just 2 sp)... I still need to know the generosity of Galudir.

GandalfOfBorg

Jul 26, 2007, 12:23 PM #8 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 12:38 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Durgil smirks at his companion's desire for a few creature comforts so long denied on their road.  "Since I believe you'd like your privacy with that, too, Thermon,  I'll take care of the rooms, two more if you please, if you can fit three in one, sir."  He hands over 2 sp for the other two rooms.  "They can get their own meals... I swear the big guy has two stomachs," he says in a mocking conspiratorial tone behind his hand.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jul 26, 2007, 04:01 PM #9 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 09:18 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] I am going to pull everyone's post into an ordered time with this post.

Durgil's compliments made Crolm's smile widen and the innkeeper returned the vigorous handshake, "Well you have heard correctly! Why don't you all find a place to make yourselves comfortable and I will see about preparing some rooms."

[Galudir's post here]

Crolm looked down at the shiny gold coin in his hand and knew he dealt with more than mere vagabonds. He decided to be even more cordial in hopes of making the travelers' stay as profitable as he could. "My good sir, the River Cross has some of the finest rooms in town and we pride ourselves on our bolsters. You need not worry about needing more down, you will find your sleep quite comfortable. I will send my wife Anna to prepare a tub for you whils't I get ready the rooms and then your meal. I will also see about getting that boy to tend your horses."

Crolm ended his comment with a wink and a nod in Durgil's direction.

[Durgil's second post re: paying for the other rooms along with Nain's]

Two more silver shoved in his hand, Crolm began to scurry to his tasks. "As you will good sir! I will have your rooms ready in a short time. Please, make yourself comfortable in the common room and I will return in a few moments. I'll pull those mugs right away Master Dwarf!"

And that is what Crolm did, he ran first to the kegs and pulled five mugs of ale - ale that had been brewed up north along Long Lake. Second, he uncorked a bottle of Dorwinion wine and brought the lot over on a wooden tray that also held a loaf of brown bread and a small crock of whipped butter with a knife sticking out.

"Make yourselves comfortable," he repeated and ran off to see to his other tasks while Nain made his way to the yard. "The first round is on the house!"

Dirnhael and Fengel sat down with their thoughts, finding the table they desired that allowed a full view of the room. Edrahil, Durgil and Galudir joined them and they talked quietly. With Fengel's suggestion, Edrahil excused himself taking a glass of the sweet Dorwinion wine and went to join Nain. The Elf stood there while the craftsman rambled on about trading of fine wares, his pipe clenched in his teeth. Although he listened, Edrahil's eyes looked across the river to watch the Easterlings and see what they entertained themselves with.

Every now and then, the crowd would separate enough to make visible the inner ring and the Sindar could see a hulk of a man, bare-chested brawling with one or two smaller framed men. It did not take much to realize that the leader of the east men was entertaining his ranks and he was having an easy time with his opponents. Edrahil hoped that those that Harizän fought were there of their own choice and not poor captives that were being subjected to the brutal match. He knew in his heart that it was the latter.

Edrahil told Nain all that he saw in full detail. As they stood there, a young, well-dressed fellow walked up carrying a lute. "Well this is something I haven't seen in Ilanin in most my life! An Elf and a Dwarf standing on the River Cross porch!"

Inside the common room, one patron was also quite interested in the manner of the Company. A rotund merchant with soup stains upon his linen shirt turned to the men, "Well you are all a strange sight. I recognize one of the plains-people* sure enough, but men of Gondor too! And an Elf and Dwarf! I am Denn and I hale from the small town of Dale. You must tell me your tale! What brings you all the way here to Ilanin?"

[OOC:] *plains-people, he means Fengel

Nikitas

OCC: Yeah, Thermon/Galudir intends to use that 1 GP for himself. Sorry for the delay.

tomcat

Jul 27, 2007, 05:17 AM #11 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 08:55 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Okay, thanks Nikitas.

• That being said, due to the finery that Galudir is buying himself, it will cost him a total of 5 sp and 95 cp (or 6 sp) out of the Gold Piece, leaving 10 sp.
  • Galudir bought a fine room (1 night), bath, fine meal (lunch, dinner and breakfast), and a bottle of wine.
  • The rest of the Company need to pay 14 sp and 25 cp (of which Durgil has paid 2 sp)
  • The Company will have bought two ordinary rooms (1 night), bath for each, and ordinary meal for each (lunch, dinner, and breakfast), but no beverages are included in the price

Durgil deducted his silver pennies, but how are you guys splitting the remaining cost (12 sp and 25 cp)?

[Edit:] Fengel has paid with another gold piece... there will be change back but we'll see what you guys consume.

Palandil

Not only were these Fengel's friends, but they had offered there lives to aid his people so he felt the obligation to offer them some comfort.  And so he paid the cost of the rooms and food for his friends and added enough sp to cover any drink that they might desire.

tomcat

As the merchant attempted to make small talk with the Company, Crolm returned with another crock that had a wooden spoon poking from it. Inside was a warm concoction of beef, potatoes and carrots, seasoned just right with the local herbs. Everyone was handed a wooden plate and took turns scooping out their lunch and buttering the bread.

On the porch, Edrahil's attention was drawn to the youth and he smiled, "Then this must be a momentous time for you in your short span of years."

"You have no idea master Elf!" replied the apparent minstrel.

"I am Edrahil," said the Sindar, "and this is my companion, Nain."

"You two are traveling together as well!?" The young man looked shocked, "You must have wonderful tales to tell - both new and old. I am in search of such great tales and would be honoured if you would share some of your time and knowlege."

"So that you may spin them into some exaggerated yarn, I am sure..." laughed Edrahil.

"I am Rojen and I make my keep with my voice and my lute. I am here to see if the River Cross will lend me their room, so I will hopefully be here all evening and will have time to speak with you." Rojen surrendered with a smile, "And yes... a tale, small or tall, always brings in the greater coin when it is the latter."

Edrahil nodded back, "Well good minstrel, we will be here at least for the evening and so you may sit and chat with me when the time avails itself. But for now, I must see to my own business. Nain I am going back in to speak with our friends."

Rojen followed the direction that Edrahil had been staring, "Oh, them. Aye... not a good lot there. Its been most of thirty-six months since they arrived and naught but ill has come of it."

Nain grunted at the youth's statement and Edrahil looked to his friend. "The lad may prove useful," was the unspoken thought between the two.

Edrahil followed the minstrel into the inn and each went his own way, but both knew they'd be speaking again. Dirnhael smiled as the Sindar entered the common room, "Come take some food, Edrahil."

The Elf sat down and commenced reporting all he had seen as he filled a plate.

[OOC:] Actions - and / or - Dialogue?

GandalfOfBorg

"This is a good place, we were able to get a commanding view of the Easterlngs without even having to leave the inn," remarks Durgil.  He ate as fast as the food was put in front of him, but decided not to gorge himself.  That caused one to be tired and slow the reasctions -- being so close to the enemy, it wouldn't be prudent.
Gwaithlim Weapons