• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:26 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 1 - To save their kin!

Started by tomcat, Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006, 05:01 PM by tomcat
OOC: I have been waiting  for Brain or Paul to post before I moved the scene forward, but one of two things is happening... either they are really busy and can't get to the site, or the delays I am creating by waiting on everyone to post is making them believe our game is fading out. I hope it is the former, not the latter. In either case, our game will not fade out - instead, I will post for characters after a 24-hour period of no posts (unless I get notification that a person is away or will be delayed in some manner).

That said... let's continue:

Galudir's plea could have had the desired effect in pausing the Dwarves were it not for the quick reaction of Nain in joining his kinfolk; instead Bori took courage and together the group strode towards the cave entrance - not even Dirnhael's cry for them to think their actions through could stop them.

Edrahil met Dirnhael's gaze but the Elf had little to say, even his kin had joined the Dwarves in their assault. He shrugged, "Though it seems madness, it is wiser that we participate so that the chance of success weighs heavier on our side."

Fengel grunted, "I will trust little in chance Edrahil, and instead rely on Cerduil to see me through."

Not far away, Bori looked to Dwolin and his other comrade, including Nain, "Dwolin and I will push in on the attack... you two move to free our kin. Hopefully their weapons will be stashed within and they may aid us in retreating from the cave."

Bori took a step up into the cave and the sun faded behind him as proceeded deeper into the mountain; Seriand and Durgil followed along with Dirnhael, Fengel and Edrahil a few paces behind. Last to come was Galudir, the rogue still wondering what he was doing here.

OOC: This is still the setup of Round 1, but please give me initiative and any dialogue/narrative you want to add.

Situation: You guys kind of have an idea of how many trolls you are facing... it will take 1 Action to move the length of the cave to the troll's main chamber, keep this in mind when you post your actions based on initiative.

Situational Modifiers: Faint Light -2

Troll Stats: Standard health levels for these baddies... sorry  :( ;)

Physical Modifiers: None

Initiative:
Galudir 16
Seriand 13
Durgil 11
Nain 11
Fengel 10
Trolls 8
Dirnhael 7
Dwarfs 6
Edrahil 5

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Initiative Roll
(1d12)+2; 9+2=11

Nain simply nods in understanding at Bori's plan and prepares to rush in to save his kin.

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 29, 2006, 04:43 AM #2 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006, 12:59 PM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: Init - 7+2=9

Durgil will delay until the dwarves attack and he sees an enemy, take aim (Aim action), and fire.
Observe (Spot) - 12*+2*+3+2-2=17
RC: Bows (Shortbow) - 4*+11+2+2+3-2=20
Damage - (5+5)+1=11
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Wiseman

Init: Roll(1d12)+3: 10,+2 Total:13

OOC: Now I know this isn't D&D but don't elves have low light vision or something to that effect?

Palandil

As Fengel follows the company he draws Cerduil.  Having never encountered trolls he was feeling a little uneasy, but he strides forward staying alongside Dirnhael.  The mission is to save the dwarves if possible, but he will stay by Dirnhael's side, an oath he will keep.

OOC: I haven't been able to follow as closely lately.  Sorry to make you think I was getting bored.  Keep up the good work Tomcat!

tomcat

Quote from: WisemanOOC: Now I know this isn't D&D but don't elves have low light vision or something to that effect?

OOC: The Elven racial bonuses include Farsightedness, which grants a +2 to Observe (Spot) tests, which would negate 2 points of darkness penalty, but there is nothing written that they also have the Night-eyed Edge. Now, per Tolkien, the Elves that awoke before the First Age lived by starlight alone, so... I would grant them an auto Night-eyed 1 (or 2) Edge, but all elves born after would have adapted to the Sunlight. Opinions??

QuoteOOC: I haven't been able to follow as closely lately.  Sorry to make you think I was getting bored.  Keep up the good work Tomcat!

OOC: Never thought you were bored Paul, just was worried that you might have thought our game had come to an end. Glad to see you are here!

I will give you guys a new post to start this combat interaction once I get back home tonight.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Nov 29, 2006, 04:27 PM #6 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2006, 08:08 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael couldn't believe what he was doing.
As he walked into the inky dank of the troll cave, he readied his shield and hefted Vorandur, trying to concentrate on the task ahead. "There will be losses," he thought. In his mind, there was no way around it.

He thought this plan - if you could call simply marching into a troll's den a plan - reckless, if brave, and did not look forward to burying those who might perish for lack of foresight. That is, if he himself survived to bury them, he remembered.

He gripped his deadly tools a bit tighter as he walked further into darkness...

Initiative Roll:
Roll(2d6)+0: 3,4,+0 Total:7
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Nov 29, 2006, 06:34 PM #7 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006, 05:13 AM by tomcat
As the companions and their new Dwarf comrades moved down the cave...

"Hey Ort... what's dat?"

"What's what, Bin?" replied another voice.

"That tinkling, jingling sound," answered back the first voice.

Ort stood suddenly and grinned, "They're comin'."

The three trolls all moved to meet whomever was coming into their home, taking positions where the cavern entrance bottle-necked at the large, main chamber.

OOC: I am going to try to interpret the beginning of this round based on initiatives as such - the Company (save Nain) would probably want to delay any actions until the Dwarves engage the trolls - meaning they will not rush ahead of the Dwarf war-party to lead the attack. That said, the trolls have a higher initiative than the Dwarves and so the trolls will react first.

Also, I removed the 1 Action penalty to move down the passage.

Bori and Dwolin, shields up, moved aggressively into the cave's main chamber finding the trolls armed and ready - the three huge creatures swung their clubs...

Ort v Bori - TN 15 (TN 11 +4 Size modifier)
AC +16
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+12: 5,+16 Total:21 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 2,2,3,+8 Total:15
Action 2
Roll(1d12)+12: 4,+16 Total:20 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 1,5,5,+8 Total:19

Bin v Dwolin - TN 15 (TN 11 +4 Size modifier)
AC +16
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+12: 8,+16 Total:24 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 1,4,4,+8 Total:17
Action 2
Roll(1d12)+12: 8,+16 Total:24 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 3,2,4,+8 Total:17

Gnash v Dwarf 3 - TN 15 (TN 11 +4 Size modifier)
AC +16
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+12: 5,+16 Total:21 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 6,1,3,+8 Total:18
Action 2
Roll(1d12)+12: 9,+16 Total:25 - Damage if not parried: Roll(3d6)+8: 1,2,4,+8 Total:15

Bori attempts to parry Ort TN 21 and 20
AC +14, PB +1, SB +3, Size penalty -4*
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+14: 5,+14 Total:19 +3 (Courage) = SUCCESS - Strength test* TN 14: Roll(1d12)+0: 6,+2 Total:8 COMPLETE FAILURE, Knocked prone and takes Roll(1d6)+4: 4,+4 Total:8 damage
Action 2
AC+14, PB +1, SB +3, Size penalty -4*, Prone -5
Roll(1d12)+9: 11,+9 Total:20 SUCCESS

Dwolin attempts to parry Bin TN 24 and 24
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+14: 2,+14 Total:16 COMPLETE FAILURE (10 Damage) - Strength test* TN 14: Roll(1d12)+0: 3,+2 Total:5 COMPLETE FAILURE, Knocked prone and takes Roll(1d6)+4: 3,+4 Total:7 damage
Action 2
Roll(1d12)+9: 9,+9 Total:18 +6 (Courage) SUCCESS

Dwarf 3 attempts to parry Gnash TN 21 and 25
Action 1
Roll(1d12)+14: 8,+14 Total:22 SUCCESS - Strength test* TN 14: Roll(1d12)+0: 11,+2 Total:13 FAILURE, Knocked prone
Action 2
Roll(1d12)+9: 5,+9 Total:14 EXTRAORDINARY FAILURE (26-7 damage = 19)

*House Rule Fighting Creatures of different sizes

Note: The P on the map is where  the prisoners lay bound.

Nikitas

Initiative:
2d6= 6,5
Initiative (+5)
11+5= 16

Galudir will draw his sword but pass until the end of the round.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite his hesitation, Galudir was ready for battle as he entered the cave. He took note of the scene before him but hesitated. Afterall, the rogue reasoned, the dwarves may enjoy the sport.

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 30, 2006, 01:04 PM #9 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2006, 09:37 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Quote from: tomcat on Nov 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
OOC: The Elven racial bonuses include Farsightedness, which grants a +2 to Observe (Spot) tests, which would negate 2 points of darkness penalty, but there is nothing written that they also have the Night-eyed Edge. Now, per Tolkien, the Elves that awoke before the First Age lived by starlight alone, so... I would grant them an auto Night-eyed 1 (or 2) Edge, but all elves born after would have adapted to the Sunlight. Opinions??

OOC: I would say that any that meet the same prerequisite of Inner Light (but could be of any Eldar division) would have Night-eyed 1 for living in the twilight and any after wouldn't have this trait (making this a limited racial ability... call it maybe Eyes of Twilight).
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain hesitates for a moment, weighing the need to save the prisoners with the urge to attack the trolls himself.  Bori's words flashed and he began to move, following Bori and then passing him and Ort on the side closer to the cave wall to avoid being pinned between Ort and Gnash as he moves toward the prisoners.

BrianM

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 PM
OOC: I have been waiting  for Brain or Paul to post before I moved the scene forward, but one of two things is happening... either they are really busy and can't get to the site, or the delays I am creating by waiting on everyone to post is making them believe our game is fading out. I hope it is the former, not the latter. In either case, our game will not fade out - instead, I will post for characters after a 24-hour period of no posts (unless I get notification that a person is away or will be delayed in some manner).

That said... let's continue:

OOC I'm still here and keen to play! Sorry about dropping out for a bit. I should have let you know in advance that I was having minor surgery earlier this week. I've been on pain killers and haven't been doing anything online. I'm catching up now though ... and reviewing spells to see which would be most useful.  :)

Cheers,
Brian

BrianM

Edrahil reluctantly moved into the cave, shaking his head at the brashness of these dwarves. Their courage could not be faulted, but throwing their lives away with such reckless abandon was not necessary, especially with others to help make a proper plan of attack.

The elf moved down the tunnel wall behind the others, until he could see the battle joined. It seemed the third dwarf, whose name he had not heard, had taken the worst of the blows from the trolls, so he began singing the words of an enchantment that would help him.

[ooc]
Cast Blinding Flash ...
Weariness Test TN 10
Willpower +3, Resolute +1, Strong-willed +2, The Art +2
Roll(1d12)+8: 1,+8 Total:9  :'(
[/ooc]

It began as it usually did with a small spark in the palm of his hand, but then the spell went completely wrong. Edrahil snuffed the spark before things got worse, and leaned against the wall as he felt the effects of his failure wash over him with a wave of fatigue.

tomcat

OOC: Great to see you back Brian and I am glad you are feeling better! That was a bummer roll! I marked the 1 Weariness level on Edrahil's sheet.

To everyone else, the Trolls have gone thsi round so it is all you guys.

Palandil

Seeing the first dwarves knocked to the ground and Edrahil's magic falter, Fengel felt even more apprehensive about this.  He glanced at Dirnhael with a look of concern, "This should prove difficult, but ... we have had worse odds, and bigger opponents."  He shrugs his shoulders and continues down the tunnel as his expression changes to that of a stern and resolute warrior.

OOC: Fengel will hold his actions, other then continuing forward.  How many characters can fit side by side in order to fight?