• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 11:17 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Nightime incursions

Started by tomcat, Aug 11, 2006, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 11, 2006, 10:40 AM Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006, 11:38 AM by tomcat
An owl hooted somewhere in the night, it's lonely call the only thing that Galudir and Nain could hear. There was no moon but the sky was clear and full of stars. This provided a very faint light which was both a benefit and detriment - the duo had a difficult time finding stealthy footing, but at the same time they didn't need to worry about being easily seen.

They came to the base of the ridge and proceeded to the eaves of the forest. The Dunnish lodgings were scattered about them and in the center of the settlement was the stockade, still guarded by four spearmen. Nothing stirred as they crept in and the guards around Nain's comrades did not take notice.

They were close now, but the question was, what to do?

In the stockade itself, Seriand looked at the fence. He could jump over it, it was so low. He could take the leather thong off that strapped the gate closed. Their prison was not secure - only the guards stood as a threat. If he jumped the fence, they would certainly engage him and more than likely call for aid. It would then become a situation of life and death? He wondered.

These were not orcs. They may not even be Men that had been dominated by the Shadow, though the Elf seemed to remember stories of some barbaric tribes who were enthralled.

"Can I justify slaying them to gain my freedom?" the Sindar asked himself.

He did not get an opportunity to answer his own thoughts when he noticed two shadows moving about some distance away. They moved from shadow to shadow and were working their way closer to the stockade. One was squat and Seriand knew it had to be the Dwarf that they had been traveling with, but who was the other?

OOC: I need stealth rolls from Galudir and Nain. I will use the results to roll opposed Observe tests. Thanks
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

With soft and smooth moves Seriand neared his closest companion and gently touched his shoulder.  "The dwarf has returned, prepare yourself."  He then moved about the stockade letting each of the captive know the same as he had said to the others.

sdrotar

Quote from: Wiseman on Aug 11, 2006, 11:31 AM
With soft and smooth moves Seriand neared his closest companion and gently touched his shoulder.  "The dwarf has returned, prepare yourself."  He then moved about the stockade letting each of the captive know the same as he had said to the others.

His faith in Nain was well-placed, thought Dirnhael.
He wished to help these people if possible, but remaining a prisoner was no longer an option.

Dirnhael thought about their weapons... if Nain might be able to get to them first, things would be much simpler.
He whispered as much to Seriand - perhaps they could send their companion a message before things became... complicated.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Stealth Roll
(2d6)+2; 5+3+2=10

OOC: Can the guards see one another?  Are they spread around the stockade or are they grouped at the gate?

tomcat

Quote from: Stefan on Aug 14, 2006, 06:08 AMOOC: Can the guards see one another?  Are they spread around the stockade or are they grouped at the gate?

OOC: I think it is going to be safe to say that Nain is the weak link in the stealthy chain, so I am going to go ahead and roll the Observe tests. Galudir still needs to roll just so I can get an idea of how quiet he was and if he could slip away if the two are discovered.

Observe (Listen) TN 10
Observe +3, Per +1
Roll(2d6)+4: 2,3,+4 Total:9 FAILED

Finally to answer the questions from Nain - see the attached picture to get an idea. Understand that the guards are kind of sleepy too.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

OCC: I'm just waiting to see if Seriand signals to Nain about their weapons, I figure that would happen more quickly than Galudir would act.

First roll is 2,2. I'm going to use my first Scoundrel's Fortune.

Second roll is 3,4 +2.

Stealth Test:
2d6= 3,4
Scoundrel's Fortune(+2), Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+7), Furtive +1, Observe (Spot) Affinity +1
7+2+3+7+1+1= 21
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wiseman

OOC:  Not much Seriand can do since there are guards between him and you guys, they'd see him for sure. 

Seriand made sure that all the party was aware of their potential rescuers and then he stood up, may as well help out.

Walking to the guards the stood between him and the rescuers he tried to get their attention.  "Kind sirs, my friends and I need water, we're parched and would appreciate if you would aide us since you will not let us go."  Seriand hoped either they would come and talk or goto a hut and then be out of site while he got a message to his comrades.

sdrotar

Dirnhael shuffled his feet, finding a ready position as subtly as possible in case Seriand's distraction worked.

There were only four, despite the fact they were armed. Dirnhael was confident that these men would not present much of a problem to the Company, as Nain had returned and they would have the element of surprise.

But battle was not often quiet; too much noise and they would find the entire village upon them within moments.

When the move was made, Dirnhael thought, at least one or two of them must get to the tent that they had determined most likely to house their weapons - even leaving in the night without them would only prolong the inevitable.

Seriand was used to moving without sound, and Elves were light on their feet as it was. Perhaps they should try and retrieve their armaments while the Men dispatched the Men of this village, he thought.

He began to whisper his thoughts to Edrahil, knowing that his friend's ears could hear his words in the near-silence.

Stefan

Nain whispers a silent prayer of thanks to the Great Forgemaster that they put the blind ones on watch for the evening.  Then a voice comes from the stockade.  Nain waits a moment to see if the guards turn.

tomcat

Quote from: SeriandWalking to the guards that stood between him and the rescuers, he tried to get their attention,  "Kind sirs, my friends and I need water, we're parched and would appreciate if you would aide us since you will not let us go."

The two guards seemed to jerk, as if wakened by the sound of Seriand's soft voice. The other two that stood on the opposite side of the stockade also took notice, though they did not make any movements towards their companions.

It was easily seen by the Elf that his words were not understood by the spearmen, but he did achieve his desire for both turned towards him and away from the two shadows that stood not far off. The guards spoke a few garbled words back to Seriand and brought their spears up in a semi-threatening manner, as if to say stand back from the fence.

Behind the group, the other guards kept a watch on the confrontation but held off on any actions... just watched.

Wiseman

Seriand took a step back from the fence and put his hand to his lips.  "Water."  A simple word followed by another action, that of drinking from a flask or a cup, hopefully they would get the picture.

BrianM

Aug 15, 2006, 09:43 AM #11 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006, 02:25 PM by BrianM
Quote from: sdrotar on Aug 15, 2006, 01:45 AM
He began to whisper his thoughts to Edrahil, knowing that his friend's ears could hear his words in the near-silence.

[ooc curious about the mechanics here: is this type of communication two way?]

In his meditative state, Edrahil had not noticed the approach of Nain, but the words of Seriand and Dirnhael, as well as the stance of the others in the stockade, allowed the elf to understand what was about to take place. While his kin distracted the guards, Edrahil stood, approached Dirnhael casually so as not to attract attention, and responded in a whisper, "I do not agree with this course of action, but there is naught I can do to deter Nain. You know I will stand with the group whatever may befall, but we must be willing to accept the consequences of our actions. I do not believe these men to be held by the Shadow. What then are we to become if we attack, or worse, kill?""

sdrotar

Quote from: BrianM on Aug 15, 2006, 09:43 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Aug 15, 2006, 01:45 AM

[ooc curious about the mechanics here: is this type of communication two way?]

OOC: Brian, my post stems from some earlier voyages where it was determined that Edrahil could hear - and only hear - the Company members (and perhaps Dirnhael in particular, I don't remember exactly) from distances beyond normal.

Doug may have to shed some light on that, and if I'm mistaken - which is entirely possible - we can just scratch my last post from the record...

tomcat

OOC: Yes, this is true - the prior player placed on each of the original company members the Calling spell. This allows them to call Edrahil in their time of need, though he may not be able to do anything about it.

As far as communicating back and forth, you either need Mind-speech or Far-speaking - the former allowing two way talk, the latter just able to send words.

The communication by Dirnhael right now would need to be via verbal words - quietly of course, but still verbal.

BrianM

[ooc] Thanks for the info. I adjusted my note above accordingly.