• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 03:43 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Night passes

Started by tomcat, Apr 14, 2006, 06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Apr 14, 2006, 06:04 AM Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006, 06:07 AM by tomcat
Graush stared out into the settling night and wondered about the new information he had gleaned from his mage. There was one amongst his quarry who knew the arcane arts and that just changed the equation for he and his troop. They were good warriors all, but he knew how gutless his mates could be in confronting wizards or even Elves!

"Spineless rats!" he cursed to himself.

Still, he needed to decide if he were going to make the attack or no... to kill or even to capture them would bring him great respect amongst his mates, as well as his chieftain Ugbash. He had twleve riders with him and he had forced the tribes shaman to leave his hole - another snivelling rat!

To attack at night would be the most optimum of choices, they would be sleeping and not prepared, then again that may not be true... at night is when they would expect most problems to occur. Also the problem of darkness. He and his lads were accustomed to working without light, in fact most preferred it, but those Men or Elves always seemed to carry torches or flames. It was not that the Orcs were wary of fire, it was one of their greatest tools,  but the brightness would mess up their night-vision.

No. Perhaps it would be better to strike them in the gloom of morning when they were just rising and still out of sorts. Yes... that would be best. Graush turned back to his companions and spoke, "We make our attack before the great yellow orb breaks over the mountains. We will have our quarry before they have finished breaking their fast!"

The grunts and chuckles that accompanied Graush's sitting down told the captain that his troop was pleased.

A little over three miles away, the Company settled back against the wall of the valley, circling the small campfire that burned. Seriand had taken first watch and he stood on a large boulder in the midst of the vale and looked about, always avoiding looking directly towards the firelight.

"Tomorrow we shall ride down out of this mountain into the ancient land of my folk," said Edrahil. "I look forward to seeing this land, but oh how my heart would sing if we could ride into the ancient realm of Ost-in-Edhil. But that journey will need wait for our return from Fengel's lands."

This statement led the Elf to a new topic, "So Fengel, what are your plans upon returning to your land? Will you be parting ways with us, or do you just wish to see family and friends?"

OOC: Actions? RP'ing?

To remind you guys, the stuff about the orcs is for Narrative flare - as a cutaway scene - nothing that you guys are aware of or can base any character decisions on.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Seriand was back in his element, away from others and scouting that which was in front of him to watch for signs of the enemy.  The presance of the orcs and their mysterious disappearance was troublesome, enoughso that it caused Seriand to be extra watchful...

His position atop the rock provided him an excellent vantage point to spot sign of anyone trying to make for their hastily built encampment. 

Observe (Spot):  Roll(2d6)+10:  4,4,+10 Total:18
Observe (Listen): Roll(2d6)+10: 3,1,+10 Total:14

Palandil

"When I left, our land had been ravaged by the plaque.  Our people were almost wiped out.  My sister and I are all that remained of my family, and I left her with her new husband to find something to take the losses from my mind.  Meeting Dirnhael and fighting along side such good companions has taken away much of that sorrow.  But I know that once I see my Gleowyn again I will be made whole once more."  He turns to Edrahil, "Really I'm not sure if I could stay in one place after traveling so many lands with the likes of this motley crew."  A smile forms upon his lips, "I think my heart would grow sick again once you, my brothers depart.  So there is hope we may yet remain a company of misfits."  He lets out a deep laugh and clasps Edrahil on the shoulder.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil stares off into space, contemplating the situation and idly listening to the conversation between his comrades.  To him, there seems something unnatural the way the orcs are playing their game.  With wargs, he figures that they should know of their presence and maybe even more, but keeping their hand close like this is unlike those he's encountered in the past -- they've been: fight here, now, and with overwhelming force or run away and in his gut these haven't.  They appear to have some brains about them or maybe a bit over-cautious.  Either way, they aren't a group to be dismissed lightly.  If they aren't careful, this simply jaunt over the mountains might be a hasty retreat into the elven lands, which may not be over-welcome.

Shrugging off his thoughts, he chuckles, joining the conversation. "Come now, Fengel, now why would you grow overfond of joining us once again?" says he with jest.  "Would it be to see orc-heads roll or possibly there is someone for you back in Fornost you'd like to see again?  For sure it cannot be us with our hard roads in the saddle, hard beds of rock to sleep on, and hard tack with which to feast.  It just seems, well, so hard."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Edrahil laughed at the Dunadan's comments, "Aye! It does not seem we allow ourselves much in the realm of comforts, nor do we seem to take time for ourselves in our homeland. A motley crew indeed!"

Edrahil's words were cut short with the howl of a wolf off somewhere in the night. The Sindar immediately climbed to his feet to look out towards Seriand to see if he was well.

OOC: Actions?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

"The night stirs..."  The elven scout spoke softly but still clear for his comrades.  "...but I know not if they are disturbed or if this is natural, perhaps we should be on our guard."

tomcat

The Sindarin scout stood silent, looking out over the landscape before him wishing that he had a moon to cast some light, but nothing stirred. From their height in the mountains, the Company could see down to the grassy plain which they had crossed over the past two days and the forest lined foothills they had hiked up earlier this day, and naught but the wind could now be heard.

Still, the Company sat tense, listening...

Edrahil softly padded down to where Seriand stood, "Do you see anything my friend? Do we need more light?"

OOC: Continue with your RP'ing or any actions.

Wiseman

"Perhaps light would help one of the others, but my eyes are accustomed to the light right now, you using your Art would only hinder my search as the night grows on."  Seriand said to Edrahil, the elf that was awe inspiringly powerful with the abilities that he posessed.

"If you have the power to cast light upon the vale then perhaps one of the others could peer into the brightness and I shall shield my eyes."

tomcat

"Nay my friend," Edrahil replied, "you are the wiser. To cast light now would take away our night-vision. Best we save my spells for any onset of Enemy so that we all may fight better."

Edrahil then went quiet and applied his own eyes in the search for anything that might be an overt threat.

sdrotar

Dirnhael's heart was glad when Fengel had suggested that his visit to his home may be only that. Then the wolf's howl chilled his blood.

He knew in his bones that a fight was coming at some point, and like Durgil, he was apprehensive about the tactics of their pursuers; but he was confident of the Company's abilities, and they had camped in a rather advantageous setting.

Dirnhael learned long ago to not worry about that which he could not control. They had set up a good, defensible camp and had excellent scouts in Seriand and Durgil to watch over them. They had taken care of everything they could... all they could do now was wait.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Apr 15, 2006, 05:00 AM #10 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006, 05:02 AM by tomcat
The Company sat huddled together around their fire, while Durgil and Seriand stood guard down at the base of the slopes, but slowly the tensions eased. It became obvious to Seriand soon enough that the call of the wolf had been from that of pack that had become curious about the Company's camp, but not courageous enough to get closer. The Elf watched as their shadowy grey shapes flitted through the trees and scrub that did grow lower on the path, but the animals were just that, normal animals. Though the Enemy did make use of such spies, Seriand did not feel this was the case.

So, the Company at last began again to sleep in shifts and another night in the mountains passed. The impending feelings of an oncoming attack did not subside, but many wondered why it hadn't come, and when it would. Those thoughts became more tormenting then the actual thought of an attack... where had the Orcs gone, and did the Company truly pass unobserved?

The morning came once again with rain. Clouds had moved in to the mountains in the late hours of evening and now they let loose their bounty in a soft shower. If it were not for the chill, Fengel would have thought the morning beautiful. On either side of their encampment, two majestic peaks rose high into the sky, their tips capped in white, but even these were dwarfed by the mighty Misty Mountains further east, from which this spur came. The Company's path led directly between these two peaks, through the valley pass which they created. The Éothraim prepared his friend's horses along with his own while the others broke the camp; thirty minutes later they were on their way again.

The valley was a bit more challenging to traverse due to the slick stones and the rivulets formed by the falling rain and so travel slowed. With heads lowered, hoods up, the Company plodded on. Dirnhael estimated they would be in the foothills of the south side of the spur by late afternoon. Hopefully the grace of the Elves would still be on the lands of Hollin and any pursuers would think differently before entering that once sacred land.

Graush smiled. It would be a killing morning. The great yellow orb would not come out this day and he and his mates would have an easy time of it. He nodded and the lead group loped away. The Orc captain then went back to the task before him, smearing the wicked paste along the length of his jagged blade. Graush was very careful for even he was not immune to its fearful effects and to cut himself now would be death.

OOC: I want the following tests from everyone:

Stamina TN 12 - After the last 3 days of travel, and the constant worry of attack, may have caused some to not sleep very well. A Failure means -1 Weariness, Complete Failure -2 Weariness, Disastrous Failure -3 Weariness
Ride TN 12 - any Disastrous Failure results will bode ill for the mount on the slippery mountain valley.
Opposed Observe (Spot) TN 16

Hey Shawn D., your avatar is no longer showing up... just an empty square with a little red X

Wiseman

Apr 15, 2006, 05:21 AM #11 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006, 05:42 AM by Wiseman
The night passed but Seriand's gaze into the dangers that surrounded him and his company didn't subside.  As the rain came down Seriand pulled the cloak closer to his body and trudged on.

"An enemy will have trouble chasing us with this weather, if they are even still about."  He said to the well trained human scout, Durgil.

Stamina: Roll(2d6)+2:  6,3,+2 Total:11 (So close yet so far away...)  +3 Courage Total: 13 SUCCESS
Ride: Roll(2d6)+11: 1,3,+11 Total:15 SUCCESS
Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10:  2,1,+10 Total:13 FAIL

tomcat

OOC:

Stamina TN 12 - After the last 3 days of travel, and the constant worry of attack, may have caused some to not sleep very well. A Failure means -1 Weariness, Complete Failure -2 Weariness, Disastrous Failure -3 Weariness
Ride TN 12 - any Disastrous Failure results will bode ill for the mount on the slippery mountain valley.
Opposed Observe (Spot) TN 16

Edrahil's tests:
Stamina TN 12
Stamina +2, Tireless +4
Roll(2d6)+6: 4,5,+6 Total:15 SUCCESS

Ride TN 12
Ride +10, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,1,+12 Total:18 SUCCESS

Observe (Spot) TN 16
Observe +3, Keen-eyed +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 2,6,+5 Total:13 (+3 Courage) SUCCESS

Palandil

Fengel was glad that the night passed without incident but like his comrades he was uneasy with the thought that the orcs may be smarter than most.  There was in the air a forboding feeling.
Stamina TN 12
Stamina +3; Tireless +4
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,3,+7 Total:12 SUCCESS

Ride TN 12
Ride +8; Specialty +2; Experienced +2
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,3,+12 Total:20 SUCCESS

Observe (Spot) TN 16
Observe+3; Spot+2
Roll(2d6)+5: 6,2,+5 Total:13

It was difficult traversing the slope, but Heostor was well trained and Fengel's experience made it look quite easy.

Stefan

Stamina TN 12
Stamina +4, Hardiness +2
Roll(2d6)+6: 2,3,+6 Total:11 +3 (Courage) SUCCESS

Ride TN 12
Ride -2
Roll(2d6)-2: 5,3,-2 +3 Courage Total:9 SUCCESS...Yeah right. Complete failure is pretty good considering Nain's outstanding riding Skillz.  I wonder if I can give Jethro points in Carry (Pathetic Rider)

Observe (Spot) TN 16
Observe +6, Speacilty +2
Roll(2d6)+8: 4,6,+8 Total:18 SUCCESS

Nain's slept well enough to move on.  Though even his dwarven stamina was tested by the difficult terrain and weather.  Jethro stumbled many times along the course of their trip, it was only due to his own agility that the two didnt tumble despite Nain's worst efforts.