• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 09:04 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The search - part 4

Started by tomcat, Mar 28, 2017, 05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 28, 2017, 05:15 AM Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 11:52 AM by tomcat
Search for Ruithel

1) Each part will involve each PC needing to roll a Hunting test, Travel test, and an Explore test (TN by region of Upper Vales). If you add another test in to add to story, that is fine with me, but these three tests will drive the search.

2) Hunting tests will work two-fold. Each PC will roll against the TN and must succeed to provide any benefit, BUT the aggregate of everyone's rolls will also apply. I do this because I want more than one player throwing a Feat die - the more Feat die, the more opportunity for grand successes and potential threats.

3) The aggregate of the Hunting rolls must exceed 45+ score. This secures that the companions are on the right path towards Ruithel and thus move the party 1 step closer to her rescue. She is a number of steps away known only to me, of course.  >:D

4) If a PC also achieves the area TN on the Hunting test, you will gain 1 additional step closer (2 steps for great success; 3 steps for extraordinary)

5) An :~~: result has a negative effect by reducing the progression towards Ruithel by 2 steps and determines a hazard or encounter.

6) If the aggregate of the Hunting roll is less than 48, the company might be moving closer, but not necessarily on the right path. An encounter, hazard, or other narrative will occur.

7) Each group Hunting roll is considered a day's worth of searching and traveling. A Travel test is required against the TN of the region the PC's are within. A failed test will increase the PC's individual fatigue and an :~~: can produce a hazard.

8) Finally, an Explore test is needed for each PC, again with a TN based on the region. If successful, the PC has made themselves a comfortable camp to get solid rest each night.

9) If successful, END is restored at the normal rate (based on wounded or non-) and the PC loses 1 level of Fatigue for that night's sleep.

10) If failed, neither END or FATIGUE is restored.

PREVIOUS RESULTS

• moved total 3 step closer to the goal

• Arbogast, Bandy and Grimbeorn gain a level of Fatigue (2 points)

• Arbogast and Rorin gain the only comfort out of their rest and reduce their Fatigue by one level (2 points)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Mar 28, 2017, 05:47 AM #1 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2017, 10:50 AM by tomcat
The companions could feel the adrenaline of combat easing from their limbs to be replaced with utter weariness. They stood or sat about the small encampment of the orcs and listened to the river as it gurgled down its course. The headless form of Gaushnol lay where he was slain by Esgalwen and now, a stone statue of a troll stood sentinel to the ford. Todar had withstood the tumble of wood and stone as it came down on him but the sun had quickly turned his form to stone. Bandy smiled at how the troll's arms were held out in front of it, as if to ward off the light. He also smiled at the fact that he had confronted the beast single-handed and lived to speak of it - granted his magical stone had been a boon, but still, it would make for many a fireside tale.

Not far from where he sat, Grimbeorn was being aided by Rorin and Esgalwen. The man's wounds had been reopened by the orc and he needed aid. Arbogast handed Bandy the Elven cordial to take a quick drink and then moved to help with the Beorning. The warmth of the liquid filled the Hobbit's body all the way to his furry toes and he felt the weariness ease its grip on his person. The Hobbit also felt the mental gloom that had clouded his thoughts for days now begin to fade.

Esgalwen took the Miruvor from the Fire-watcher and put it to Grimbeorn's lips. He took a drink, allowing himself a bit more than how they had rationed, for he would not serve his friends unless he was hale. The liqueur had the desired effect. The pain eased from wound and muscle. The Ranger took the new calm that overcame her charge and worked to suture the open wound and re-bandage it.

Arbogast looked about as his companions rested or worked, scanning the surrounds of the river. The captives were still nearby, having run to take shelter while the warriors battled, but now they looked at the companions for something...answers to the question, what now? Aid of sorts? Arbogast did not know, nor did he know what they could do for these people. They barely had enough left to take care of themselves and their task of finding Ruithel was not over.

That was when he saw it - another structure that sat behind the lee of the large stone outcropping. It was protected from view from any that might approach from the river-crossing.  It, too, was made of stone and wood but smaller than that which had protected the troll. Arbogast could also now see a trail - or a road. It was evident by the deep ruts made by wheels and the many shod feet that would have marched down its length.

It was the Goblin Road!

Atop the stone outcropping, Magrac cracked snails and cawed to no one in particular. Still, the raven's head flitted this way and that looking about for any threats. Arbogast suddenly noticed something else as he looked at Rorin's animal-companion. Magrac was surrounded by songbirds. There were at least five of them that fluttered in the air, or hopped to and fro around the company. They were silent, but then they began to sing and twitter, as if they knew that Arbogast was now aware of them.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: All right...here is a healing test for Grimbeorn and Bandy by Esgalwen:

TN 14 healing 2d+4*
:00: Grimbeorn 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6+4 : 6, 6 + 4, total 16

:00: Bandy 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6+4 : 5, 1 + 4, total 10

*Miruvor gives a bonus to the heal tests

• Arbogast recovers END equal to his Heart score 6

• Rorin recovers END equal to his Heart score 4

• Bandy is relieved from being miserable by the effects of Miruvor.

tomcat

Mar 28, 2017, 06:04 AM #3 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2017, 06:16 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Esgalwen will use a :vv: on Bandy's roll to add 7, making it an 18 success

• Esgalwen rolled a 25 extraordinary success for Grimbeorn. Due to the level of success, I am going to allow Grimbeorn to immediately recoup 2 END plus 4 for his HEART rating, and 2 for the Miruvor; his wound is once more treated

• Esgalwen rolls a 18 success for Bandy - I am going to allow him to recover 2 END points for the Miruvor and his wound is now treated.

COMPANY STATUS
Arbogast :<3: 22 /26
Bandy :<3: 10/22 WOUNDED (treated)
Esgalwen :<3: 26/27 WOUNDED (treated)
Grimbeorn :<3: 11/31 WEARY WOUNDED (treated)
Rorin :<3: 26/34

Also, I am :csu: everyone's sheet except Paul's for the temporary Shadow point for Bandy's wound (if he was your Fellowship Focus). If you had already done this, let me know and I will re-adjust.

GandalfOfBorg

Once ministrations to his wounds had been completed, Grimbeorn sags back where he was sitting in great exhaustion.  After a moment his eyes open again to the woman of Minas Tirith.  "It appears your vigor has returned ere our tragedy away south.  My head thanks you lady as it surely would lay with that scoundrel if not for you.  I am in your debt."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

The Hobbit wandered over to the rubble pile and the stone troll. Making a space for himself he sat down at the trolls feet with his legs at his backand rumaged in his gear. Retrieving his pipe he prepped and lit it.

"Well, that's about enough work for the moment. Even if I say so myself. Time for a smoke and I'll not be moving until I am done."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Arbogast sets down his axe and shield with a familiar efficiency and approaches the former thralls, his face dark.  "Hard have we fought to save you, and for what?  A short and miserable life in an empty country?  Where are your kin?  Where are your fathers, who would let you be given to the likes of these?"  He waves a hand at the petrified troll and the decapitated orc. 

It is only with the end of his speech that he realises how much his voice has raised, and that one of the children is weeping, but trying to keep silent.  Within his heart, the desire to protect the helpless wars with a bitter contempt for those who cannot protect themselves.  But it is the better side of him that wins out.  As his breathing slows, he covers his face with a hand, as if doing so would hide his shame from the world. 

"Forgive me," he says after a moment.  "Long have we travelled, and further yet stretches our way before us.  But you are children of the Free Peoples, and we will not spare you from one dark fate only to abandon you to another.  I am the Fire-watcher.  Come - let us see what your would-be captors had to eat." 

He walks slowly away, hoping they will follow.  "Rorin," he calls, "there is another hut beyond the outcrop.  I wager we will find supplies within." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Doug, how many of these guys are there?  Are they all about the age of the boy in the troll hut?  I'm guessing none of them are in terrific condition, but do they seem fit to travel? 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: they are all around the age of 13 and up.

Each of them is in relatively good health - the Viglundings made sure they brought healthy workers for the goblins. Grimbeorn figures that they are from the cottars of the West Upper Vales - people that hold no allegiance to anyone and are relatively migrant up and down the river.

I will get another post up shortly.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay.  Here's what I'm thinking - we ought to get these kids back to their people, if for no other reason than that it's an easy way to get the word out that the Viglundings are taking thralls and selling them to the orcs of Gundabad.  If we find some food in that shack (Gaushnol and Todar were eating something while they waited here, and they didn't seem like the types who'd take well to fishing), we can divvy it up. 

Thing is, one of us will need to accompany them to make sure they don't get lost or recaptured.  Esgalwen is a good bet (subject to Doug's amenability) - her wound is healing well and she has plenty of experience with guiding groups of fools around Wilderland.  I think there's a fair to middling chance that she can get the kids across the Langwell river and back to their homes.  There's the option of dropping Grimbeorn's name here to stump up some goodwill towards the Beornings, but that's gravy. 

That would leave the rest of us free to chase after orcs and elves.  Rorin can step into Esgalwen's role as the party guide.  I'm kind of hoping that we run into the raiders soon though - I can't see Grimbeorn lasting too much longer before he's not in any shape to keep going.  If that happens, we'll have to decide between abandoning the hunt and leaving him on his own, wounded and near death from fatigue. 

Thoughts?

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: i agree. But before we do the long council on that lets check the leanto.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Ooc: I'm really liking the resource management of this chase a lot more then I thought I would.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Mar 31, 2017, 10:59 AM #12 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 11:34 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Telcontar on Mar 30, 2017, 07:46 AM:ooc: I'm really liking the resource management of this chase a lot more then I thought I would.

:ooc: I am glad! I did not want this to be a basic roll three searches and find the elf captive. I want it to feel like you guys are kind of at the end of civilization and reliant solely upon yourselves - and maybe the odd person that is a friend to the Free Folk.  ;)

Rorin and Bandy followed Arbogast as he made his way towards the other structure that was now evident. The Fire-watcher had his axe at the ready, but nothing confronted him.

He entered the small, crude structure and was not surprised at what he saw - his assumptions were quite correct. There was a straw pallet on which Gaushnol had slept. It was strewn and unkempt, and Arbogast figured it was infested with fleas or other pest. There was also a small table, a basket and a chest. He made his way over to the first as the Dwarf and Hobbit joined him inside.

The smell in the room was that of orc and rotten food, plus an unpleasant sweet smell. The sweet odor came from the table, which Arbogast stood over. He saw a plethora of small glass bottles and crucibles. There, too, was a mortar and pestle, which sat within the scattering of bottles. The Fire-watcher showed immediate distaste when he realized that the sickly smell was coming from the assortment of poisons that were there. The orc here at the ford was apparently busy with his art.

While Arbogast observed the table, Rorin went to the chest and Bandy the basket. The hobbit lifted the wicker lid and was pleased to see a large stockpile of potatoes and onions. Some were rotten and worms wiggled away from the light that shined from outside, but the Company could still make use of the majority of food. The Dwarf, too, found a treasure although he was not sure how it could best benefit them now.

In the chest was a mound of silver coins. They were crude cut and marred only with an orcish symbol, but they were pure silver. This was the blood-money with which Gaushnol paid off the Viglundings. Rorin could see that there was more than three thousand coin within - enough to set up the companions with wealth beyond their current standing.

But how did they get such a treasure home? It was far and the chest was heavy.

:ooc: The chest contains a treasure level of 100

I have a hard time interpreting treasure in TOR. Going to the books, Bilbo said he came home with one chest of gold and he was wealthy for the rest of his days, along with his nephew. Granted, his chest was probably gold, but still it was one chest.

In the TOR core book, 500 is the rating keep a middle-aged hobbit wealthy for the rest of his life; 100 is a large hoard. How to interpret that?

Well, I am going with 3-5,000 silver coins a worth a good 100 Treasure. If you guys disagree, please let me know.

tomcat

Mar 31, 2017, 11:14 AM #13 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 11:20 AM by tomcat
While her three companions inspected the hut, Esgalwen finished with Grimbeorn and gave him a smile. The gruff, young bear spoke words that brought a blush to her cheeks and warmed her heart.

"I will stand by you always, Grimbeorn, and never will you have to owe me.  Gondor is far away and I believe it is safe to say that only at the greatest need shall I ever return. This is my land now. You and our other companions are my family...my friends. That bond shall never be undone for me, as long as there is life in my heart."

She wiped her hands of the Beorning's blood and gathered her items to return to her pack. "What do you think they have found?" she asked him quietly.

Grimbeorn began to answer with ideas that he thought might be an orc's stash, but something else had taken the Ranger's interest. "Forgive me, Grimbeorn, but look." Esgalwen pointed to where Magrac still cracked snails atop the large rock which protruded from the embankment over which the river tumbled. Around the raven were the songbirds that Arbogast had noticed not long before, but they all looked towards the two companions. She did not know why, but Esgalwen believed there was an earnest look to them all. A beckoning look.

She remembered the Elven-king's hall and walking in the woods that surrounded the peaceful place. It was magical there - or perhaps the better word was enchanted. Neldir had led her about and told her stories of times past and sang her songs. That is what caused her to take such interest in these birds! The birds had gathered around them when Neldir had sang his tales.

Esgalwen stood and walked towards the small gathering and they twittered and tweeted at her approach. When she got close enough, the group took to flight and flew away from her some ten yards and then resettled. Again she moved towards them and again the birds flew away from her...and each time they flew west. Not back east towards the forest far away, but west towards the cold landscape that was the upper vales.

Were they guiding her? Did they beckon her to follow?

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn groans as he sits up, curious as to what what Esgalwen was investigating.  "What is it that you've found? The birds?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16