• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:15 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The search - part 4

Started by tomcat, Mar 28, 2017, 05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Bandy had an arm load of food in an instant and looked to beat a hasty retreat from the storage locker. Taking a bite out of a potato the Hobbit looked at the silver coins.

"Rorin, you think you can mint them into something more presentable? "
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

"Yes, the birds," smiled Esgalwen, "watch."

She walked towards them once more and again they took to flight, only to come back to rest a little further away - again to the west. Esgalwen tried a different tact and came from their opposite side and they only flew a little further down the Goblin-road.

"I believe they are trying to tell us something - or lead us. Do you not agree? Do you think Rorin's raven could communicate with them?" The Ranger was in a good mood now, and she laughed. It struck Grimbeorn as odd - such a desolate place, but here this woman most fair laughed and danced about with a small group of birds. It warmed his heart and he felt hope.

:ooc: I am restoring one of Grimbeorn's  :vv: due to Esgalwen's Fair-ness.

Also, the children are all gathered together. They are scared but do not feel threatened by the Company. If it is your intent that Esgalwen lead them south, you guys will need to roleplay the request.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Seeing the others return from their little expedition, carrying armfuls of things, even Bandy looking as if he was eating something.  "What say you, Rorin?  Would your bird be able to find out what these mean by their actions.  I don't quite make out their tongue... too fast and high-pitched like children."  Saying that reminds him of the captives.  Looking over to the children, he softens his demeanor a bit.  "Have no fear, come closer.  Those filth won't harm any longer.   Here, we have food to share if you are hungry."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Apr 02, 2017, 04:19 PM #18 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 01:54 AM by Eclecticon
At Grimbeorn's cue, Arbogast begins handing out potatoes which, though cold, are well-baked and nourishing.  He smiles encouragingly as young hands take them.  Then, curious, he listens as the company debates the birds' strange behaviour.  Perhaps, he thinks, our quarry has met this same flock and begged them to find what help they could.  More than one tale heard I as a boy of elves speaking with the beasts and birds of the Wood.

:ooc: Doug, I'll put my ideas forward in character once we have a better idea what the birds are all about - it may change the facts on the ground, after all. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

disench4nted

Rorin stroked his beard as he considered the pile of coin. "Aye Bandy, but I would need a proper forge to do so, this will not melt over a mere campfire. And I would need to craft or borrow a mold to use, whether it be coin or ingot. More concerning than that is the question of moving this chest, for it is very heavy and our road is long."

Eclecticon

"Aye, it should be buried that we may reclaim it on our way home.  Much good could it do - and even if not, I would be tempted to take it to spite the servants of the Enemy - but it will avail us nothing in this place." 

"Now," Arbogast finishes, "these birds..."

:ooc: Without wanting to 'well actually' anybody, the traditional means of striking coins was to carve the design into a hammer and then just beat the crap out of lumps of silver with them.  The metal is soft enough that you don't even need to heat it up first.  I've done this (at the Jorvik museum in York) and it's very satisfying!

Character sheet

tomcat

"Maybe, like Magrac, these birds are companions to the Elf madien," said Esgalwen. "Perhaps they are here to help her."

The thought stirred a debate - some companions being a bit incredulous, while others thought it at least a possibility. But time and again the argument fell back on the idea of pursuing a small flock of birds in hopes that they would lead them successfully to the captive Elf.

It was then that the topic of the children was brought up and what should be done with them.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Bandy spoke to the dwarf, " well we could bury them and come back later. On the return trip we could take the river south, and not have to carry anything."

With his mouth full of potato he bent his ear to the talk of thee birds. "All well and good, but what about this folk here?"

"Perhaps one of us should head south with these folks and return with a boat. The rest could head west and then returning strike the river and follow it south until they met their companion."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 03, 2017, 11:48 AMIt was then that the topic of the children was brought up and what should be done with them.
Quote from: Telcontar on Apr 03, 2017, 12:19 PMBandy spoke to the dwarf, " well we could bury them and come back later.

:ooc:  :o  You monster!

Character sheet

Eclecticon

"I have been thinking that our rescued friends' best chance is to head back to their homes."  My earlier words notwithstanding, he adds to himself.  "But they will need one of us to go with them as a guide and guardian.  I see no other way to ensure their safety." 

He fixes his gaze on the southern Ranger.  "Esgalwen, time and again you have demonstrated your sense for the ways of the Wild.  Your sword-arm is strong and your wounds are near healed.  Of all of us, yours is the greatest chance of delivering these children to their kin.  Will you undertake this, while we four continue our pursuit?" 

:ooc: Of course, we'll lose Esgalwen's not-inconsiderable tracking skill, but hopefully the birds will make up for that. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Apr 03, 2017, 04:45 PM #25 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 04:48 PM by tomcat
Esgalwen's smile faded at the request from Arbogast - they were sending her away!

Childhood feelings rose inside her and memories surfaced of her father challenging her abilities to pursue her passion, instead demanding she remain in court. It was her grandfather who had assured her and pushed her to object to her father's wishes. Object! That is what she wanted to do. Tell Arbogast that she was part of the Company and that men would not send her away.

But then she breathed. She allowed her mind to relax and to think instead of being consumed by emotion. The logic was in the request. Arbogast was right - she was hale enough to lead the children back south, and she had the necessary skills.

Breathing deeply once more, Esgalwen nodded, "I will do this thing to make sure the children are safe. You must see our task through! Find this Elf maiden...do not leave her to a fate in the pits of Gundabad, or worse, Angmar."

The two names seemed to hang heavy in the air.

The Ranger went to her pack and took from it the remaining poultice and bandages that Argil's wife had given her. She handed them to Bandy, "See to his wounds, Bandobras. He must return home, too." She smiled. "Follow the birds. I believe in my heart that they are here to lead you."

With that, Esgalwen grabbed up her pack and hitched it over her shoulder. She then strapped her sword belt back to her waist and slid Nimronyn into its sheath. Once done, she walked over to where the children huddled.

"Tell me little ones, where are you from? Do you reside in the Upper Vales? On the east side of the river, or the west?"

There were nods, but then one of the children - apparently the bravest - spoke, "We do not live on the east banks...not among the Viglundings. Our folk are river people; we traverse the Anduin. Some of us are cottars, though, and tend small farms." The boy pointed at two of the others.

"I will see you home," said Esgalwen. At this comment, one of the children began to cry. The brave boy replied, "Most of our homes are gone. The Viglundings slew our parents and took us as captives. We thought that we would be taken to their lands to be enslaved...but they brought us here instead."

The Ranger did not know what to say to that. She looked back at her companions who were also at a loss. "Still, I will see you back to your land and villages. We will see what happens then. Gather anything that you own and go ask that Hobbit over there for a few of his potatoes. We will hunt and fish along the way, but that will keep you fed for the now."

Esgalwen watched as the children did as they were ordered. They did not have much to grab. Once done, she gathered them together, saluted her friends, and led them south along the western bank of the Greylin. The remaining companions felt a sadness fill them as their fair lady disappeared into the wilds of the Upper Vales.

Telcontar

"Glad I had a potato before that lot took them all," the Hobbit smiled as he said itand relit his pipe.

"Well then, leta drag the treasure away a bit to bury it, and follow these birds."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: weird, I thought I had a post in there...

Before she left, Grimbeorn spoke with Esgalwen.  "I should be the one who takes them back out of harm's way.  I am not fit enough to see this through and your arm and blade will be missed ere this is over."  Before she has a chance to speak in protest, "I will go nonetheless and do my duty, but you take these children back to my lands and my people if there is none to take them in."  He dug in his pocket to find the token his mother gave him on the day of achieving manhood -- a circle clay with the impression a bear claw.  "This will see  you to whatever you need, straight to my father if need be.  Be safe."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Oooh, interesting internal conflict!  Let's see if Arbogast notices...

Insight roll:
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 2, total 3

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Arbogast nods his thanks, reassured by Esgalwen's seeming confidence and oblivious to her pain. 

Character sheet