• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 07:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - A time to heal

Started by tomcat, Jan 06, 2017, 06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

The Hobbit had desired long to come to the Halls of the Elven King, for here it was hoped would be the wisdom of elder days and the skill to combat the shadow in the south. His hope dwindled however, as here he found most of the Wood Elves dedicated to their own pursuits of wood and water. There was laughter and song, beauty and grace, but for the most part the elves of Mirkwood seemed to rely on their stronghold and their skill with the bow.

When the Hobbit asked questions of wood and star he was given answers and songs that seemed to have no end. Though little of it was concerned with the enemy or of lore and history. The answers were strangely focused on the present, a favorite glade, or a particular night to view the stars. Any questions about the enemy or the tools to defeat him were side stepped by the Wood Elves. They also had a feeling like a fall rain, musical and light, but if the temperature dropped hard and cold, Bandy was wary of these Elves of Mirkwood.

It was Gandalf who approached the Hobbit and gave him his first lead, Ormal was the elf whom he sought, but that was all the Grey Wizard said and Bandy didn't press him. So he asked his hosts instead about Ormal. This elf it seemed was deemed to be an expert on many matters and was often referred to as Ormal the Sinda. For a time the Hobbit thought that Sinda was his title until he came to learn that the Wood Elves were actually made up of two folk, the Sindar and the Nandor, both with their own history but now for many years of Men and Elves the Silvan Nandor of Mirkwood had taken the Sindar as their lords and Thranduil as their king. Ormal was one of the Sindar, though he had taken no position of Lordship. If there were questions of the old days and the ancient enemies Bandy was told that Ormal would have the answer, though their chief concern seemed to be that the elf made or repaired the great lanterns of the elves and little wisdom did they find in his other knowledge or skills.

Ormal lived several days north of the Halls of the King and Bandy despaired of ever having the chance to talk to him. Fate however intervened by a chance meeting Ormal had traveled to the Halls of the King and Bandy found himself face to face with the one elf in all the realm that he sought.

"Hail Ormal the Sinda, craftsman and light giver."

"And what have we here..." said the elf, "we seldom see dwarves and never have I seen one of their wee folk." He smiled deeply knowing that Bandy was no dwarf.

"I come from the Shire, away west, near the havens and the..."

At this the elf held up his hand and the Hobbit stopped. "No need to name that which the haven is near, its very mention can cause a stirring in the heart of an elf you know."

Ormal smiled and lowered his long fingered hand. "You are from the Shire, I have heard tell of your folk and it's been many long years since I had heard of your folk and now so frequently here you are again. Welcome."

The Hobbit bowed again and gave his name to the craftsman.

"I have been told that you are a maker of wondrous things and that your memory and lore go back to the ancient days."

"Are you in need of a making Master Hobbit?"

"No, I am more interested in your stored wisdom..."

Bandy had no sense of time following the introduction. He found himself pouring forth his story, all of the deeds and foes that they had fought, all of his trials and failures since he had come to Wilderland. Greatest of all however the Hobbit sought some way to face and beat the dark terrors that surrounded the land his friends.

"I lived in Doriath master Hobbit, a realm of the elves deep into the past and now beneath...well you know. Longer now has it been lost then had it endured, but while it did so Melian, our queen, protected it from the dark. Protected, but not defeated, I drew breath too when the great powers of the west came and drove the nameless enemy into the void. Drove they did in great power, and great violence, but even they did not defeat the darkness. Here in Middle-earth a darkness will always come, to be driven away, but never fully defeated. The Servant of the Nameless Enemy took up his masters quest, he rose and fell, but now like his master has risen again it appears. This answer is not the one you wanted, but it is the truth as I have seen and lived it. My folk may escape to the west, but you of the second born your escape is only in death."

"Be not so troubled Master Hobbit, my words were dark and perhaps beyond what it was that you asked me. The great works of old have passed from this world, so it is up to you and the brave hearts of your friends to take courage and find new ways to struggle against the dark. Our days fade, and so too does what you call magic. There is some skill remaining to me though, I am far from Eregion and the master craftsmen of the Noldor. So payment for my words of doom I'll give you perhaps a better answer to your question, something that will help you in your fight. Loan me the gem you told me of from the Millfort? Perhaps there is some help of the elves I can bestow to you in your desire to drive back the shadow."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 20, 2017, 11:20 AM #46 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2017, 11:50 AM by tomcat
The days brought rest and healing to the companions. Safe within the Elven Halls, each member of the company found his own way to spend time.

Some stayed together, like Rorin and Bofri, who did not feel all that welcome - though both would mark the changes that were evident since the Battle of Five Armies. Thranduil's relations, along with his people, had warmed with the Erebor and thus the Dwarves found their stay pleasant enough. Still, both wished that they were in the halls of their brethren instead, for the Elves were off-putting. Bofri discussed long into each night his plans for the Dwarven road and how now it would be less of a challenge with the Spiders of Mirkwood reeling from the blow that they had delivered.

Esgalwen continued to spend her time with Neldir. The two would walk the forest lanes and subterranean halls and speak of her lands far away, along with his that were now gone from this world. Neldir had come to Thranduil's realm via Lindon and then Rivendell until he entered Mirkwood. Like what Bandy had learned of Ormal, Esgalwen found that Neldir was also part of the Sindar. The Dúnadan ranger knew much of the lore of Men, but the trials of the Elves was new to her. She even revealed that the folk of Gondor were afraid of the woods of  Lothlórien - and the queen that lived there.

"And many rightly should fear her for she is great in power and her wroth is dangerous to behold," said Neldir, "but only to those that would bring threat to the land of the Galadhrim. Like those that reside here, they too are mostly of the Silvan-folk and have also taken a king and queen of the Sinda and Noldo, to whom Galadriel is descended." The Elf composer laughed, "Descended? Perhaps instead I would say they have descended from her, for she is daughter to Finarfin, who was son of Finwë, and of him all Noldo come."

Esgalwen delighted in Neldir's company for he was unlike the other Elves that moved about the halls and through the wood. They were aloof and seemed almost childish in their nature and regarded her little, save to make a jest or platitude.

While the ranger enjoyed her days, Bandy also was contented to just rest and eat. Meeting Ormal was his highlight and the gift from the Elf craftsman was a delight. Grimbeorn milled about but he was quiet and seemed anxious to move on to the next new task.

Arbogast disappeared.

It was five days when the Fire-watcher returned and he looked much the worse for his venture. The man seemed a bit spiteful of their hosts, but kept his words to himself even with the incessant requests from his friends to reveal what had happened.

The next day, they were at last summoned before Thranduil's throne. The company was relieved to see that Gandalf was still present within the Hall and the old wizard stood between them and the king. Esgalwen was further pleased to see Neldir, who sat on a bench at the feet of the dais. The Elf gave her a warm smile, which she returned.

In words that were kind but to the point, the king began, "I am glad to see that all of you are all well-rested and have regained your strength." Thranduil smiled but it seemed cold. "You have all been introduced to me at our dinner five days past, but I had first come to know of you through Gandalf - and to him from Radagast. Thus was permission granted for you to be brought to my Hall."

The companions felt his eyes study them, "It is said that your efforts have been great against the Shadow and that the Brown Wizard has come to heavily rely on you for his errands. Is this so?"

:ooc: You guys have all had an informal dinner with the king and he was very respectful and gave everyone time to rest, eat and heal, but now it is time to truly introduce who you all are. It is time to run the encounter to meet the king...

I will have more here shortly as I define the terms for the encounter. Give me about an hour and a half - I also want to drive home from work.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I would like to perform the undertaking Meet Patron (Thranduil).

Grimbeorn stepped forward; he seemed to be doing this more often these days.  "Yes, Lord, we have done so.  Others our group would no doubt relay our accounts with sweeter tongues but I will be as plain as my people speak.  You know of our adventure awhile ago where your kinsman was lost in the dark land of Dol Guldur.  Since that time we set out to bring peace to the lands of Men of the Anduin away south of your domain, helping them fend off the Shadow at their doorsteps.  Both orcs and darker servants of the Necromancer were driven off or destroyed.  All have given their share and more in our contests, even our Halfling friend felled the great boar of Mirkwood.  Our latest venture was to reclaim the Millfort for the dwarves of Erebor, and in that we took our heaviest toll while dealing likewise to Tauler and its brood.  By the grace of fate the Windlord came to our aid and bore us here.  For that we are in the debt of both the feathered king in his eyrie and to your mercy.  Even as we speak, though, rumblings of unrest are coming from the western borders of my father's lands and there is a sickness of the land where Arbogast hails.  But we did speak to being at your service and we shall be as you see fit."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jan 20, 2017, 03:26 PM #48 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017, 06:28 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay - this is going to be a standard encounter, the results of which will be to win Thranduil's favor beyond what Gandalf brings you guys. Should the encounter go ill, the time left in the Hall will diminish quickly. If successful, the PC's will be able to stay and rest for as long as they need and might have re-admittance on future dates.

Here are the rules of the encounter:
• Insight test for each companion to gain bonus success dice; TN 14 for any with Mirkwood Lore or Elven Lore, TN 16 for any other.
• Introduction tests are Awe, Courtesy and Riddle - one is a TN 16, the others are TN 18 (PC's may attempt a Lore test TN 14 to get a hint as to which skill is most appropriate, and thus easiest TN)
• Interaction tests are Insight, Persuade, and Inspire - each is at a TN 16
• Tolerance rating for this encounter is: 4 (valour) - 2 (prejudice Dwarves) - 1 (prejudice Men) +2 (Gandalf) = 3

I need to know if you guys will have ONE character represent you all and thus do ALL tests, or will more characters be involved? If the former, the only thing the other PC's may do is provide bonus success dice. If the latter, each PC that wants to talk MUST make a test.

All failed tests will add up against the Tolerance and if it reaches 3, Thranduil will slowly become quiet and impatient. He will remain hospitable but the PC's -and- Gandalf will know that the time in the Hall is over.

All successes will add up and have the following effects:
1-2 Successes - Thranduil will allow the PC's to stay as long as they would like, but they will not be allowed to return without testing again in a future encounter
3-6 Successes - Thranduil will allow the PC's to stay as long as they would like; they will also be allowed a future return if business is pressing
7+  Successes - Thranduil will allow the PC's to stay as long as they would like; they will also be allowed a future return at need
(understand, none of the above will give access to Thranduil unless the business is pressing to Elves - only becoming a Patron will the PC's truly gain the king's friendship)

(each test success above = 1; Great success = 2; Extraordinary success = 3)

I am only going to do the Insight roll for the bonus Success dice, all other tests I will leave for you guys. If you guys give us actual RP'ing with your tests, that will enhance the story. If your PC has no intention of being part of the encounter and will stand to the side, just post once with that decision.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: PC Insight tests for bonus success dice

TN 16 insight by PC
:00: Arbogast 2d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6

:00: Bandy 3d 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 3, 6, total 10

:00: Esgalwen 1d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3

:00: Grimbeorn 3d 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 2, total 12

:00: Rorin 3d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 6, 1, total 12

tomcat

:ooc: Results:

Grimbeorn 1 success die
Rorin 2 success dice

Now Lore tests to determine if you know how to act in front of Thranduil
TN 14 lore by PC
:00: Arbogast 0d 1d12 : 2, total 2

:00: Bandy 3d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 5, total 14

:00: Esgalwen 1d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

:00: Grimbeorn 2d 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 5, total 7

:00: Rorin 1d 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

tomcat

Jan 20, 2017, 03:38 PM #51 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2017, 03:40 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Results:

• Bandy knows that Thranduil likes Courtesy above all things - deference wins the day. So, Courtesy is TN 16 and the other two Intro test options are TN 18 (BUT only Bandy knows this!)

Okay - Grimbeorn has started the conversation, so he is definitely one of the speakers. Matt, I need a Courtesy, Awe, or Riddle test to start the talks.

IF anyone else wants to talk, they MUST make an Introduction test.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
 :00:
Awe -  1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 5, total 11

Use a success die if necessary

Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
Success die  1d6 : 3, total 3

Meant Hope if needed
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: That's a 17 against an Awe TN 18, Matt - do you want to use your bonus success die, too, so as to lock in the first success? Otherwise, we have our first Fail 1 of 3 allowed.

Esgalwen is going to talk, too. It is one of the reasons she was sent back north - to be an emissary. She has 2d in Awe and Courtesy...she failed her Lore test to know what skill usage Thranduil likes most, so I will roll a 50/50...

Rolled 1d2 : 2, total 2

1 is Awe - 2 is Courtesy

tomcat

:ooc:  #:S

Esgalwen Introduction test...
TN 16 Courtesy 2d
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 5, total 8

Here is hoping... [CLICK!]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Ya, I'll use the last success die.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: Dammit! Freaking feat die just never falls right when I need it to... :x

When Grimbeorn had finished his words there was a silence. Thranduil sat looking at the Beorning and then he spoke, "Yes, you mentioned this at our dinner that you make yourselves at my service. Honorable and I will see if there is something to which you may provide my house. You speak of troubles to the border's of your father's lands? Is he well? What are these troubles to which you speak?"

Grimbeorn answered in short about Viglund and how the man was making incursions into Beorning territory. He told of slavery, orcs, and worse - all to which Thranduil sat and listened with little change of expression.

Once done, Esgalwen stepped forward, "My Lord Thranduil, I am Esgalwen, daughter of Eradan, of Gondor - Ranger of Ithilien. At least, that was my duties before I was sent north to Mirkwood by my lord, Steward Turgon of Minas Tirith. First we we came in search of information and how fared the men of the Anduin Vale, but then again as his spokeswoman."

Thranduil's eyes moved from Grimbeorn to Esgalwen regarding her with a touch of impatience. "Perhaps Turgon would do better to instruct his emissaries in the art of court and how one should not speak out of turn." Esgalwen felt her skin go cold. "Would it hurt you to know that the twenty-fourth ruling Steward of Gondor has passed from this world?" The news caught Esgalwen unawares and her eyes immediately sprang tears forth, though her stance did not change.

"It would indeed, my Lord," she said, bowing in deference and stepping back behind Grimbeorn to where her other companions stood. "Forgive my impertinence."

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, here is the status of the encounter thus far...

• 1 of 3 failures

• 1 success for encounter benefits (unless there are more failures)

Matt, I updated your sheet for the Hope point  :csu:

Grimbeorn 1 bonus success dice
Rorin 2 bonus success dice

Anyone else making an intro?

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jan 20, 2017, 12:51 PM:ooc: I would like to perform the undertaking Meet Patron (Thranduil).

:ooc: Hey Matt - these are the words from the Heart of the Wild regarding Thranduil...

"Thranduil will only be a patron for companies that include at least one Elf, and is unlikely to favour any company that counts a Dwarf among its number."

That said, I am not going to dismiss your undertaking entirely for two reasons:

1) The Elves have had good relations with the Beornings; plus the courtesy you extended by returning word of Orophin's passing in Dol Guldur in a previous season.

2) Depends on how this encounter goes and if you heed the king's needs